PDA

View Full Version : South Korean Research culture under the microscope.

Doodler
2006-Jan-09, 08:05 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/01/06/skorea.professors.ap/index.html

Ugly enough that this tainted one particular high stakes area of research, one wonders what else coming out of South Korea has suffered.

Huevos Grandes
2006-Jan-09, 08:29 PM
Ugly enough that this tainted one particular high stakes area of research, one wonders what else coming out of South Korea has suffered.

I don't think too much. Hwang Woo-suk (Relax, Wolverine- it's his REAL name) is just one highly charismatic guy, in a field not devoid of controversy. They probably will discover that the cloned dog is really a child, and Hwang's career is unrecoverable. But South Korea is a high-tech, powerful nation in the field of scientific research- they'll be fine.

Doodler
2006-Jan-09, 08:49 PM
I don't think too much. Hwang Woo-suk (Relax, Wolverine- it's his REAL name) is just one highly charismatic guy, in a field not devoid of controversy. They probably will discover that the cloned dog is really a child, and Hwang's career is unrecoverable. But South Korea is a high-tech, powerful nation in the field of scientific research- they'll be fine.
That wasn't how the article presented the university situation as I read it. Professors pretty much make or break grad students on a whim. I can imagine there being other situations where a senior professor would impose his will on some grad student's integrity who's trying to make their way into the system.

Not to say it has happened, but the potential definitely appears to be there.