PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars : Episode IV.5

Hale_Bopp
2003-Feb-18, 12:36 AM
I saw the first Star Wars on television last night and was reminded of the Star Wars Holiday Special. I remember watching it on television when I was pretty young (say about 10) and thinking it was pretty bad even though I was the biggest Star Wars freak at the time.

It aired only once and has never been released on video. I can't say anything about the science in in, but was wondering how many around here might remember this one.

Rob

tracer
2003-Feb-18, 02:16 AM
"Stir, whip, stir, whip,
Whip, whip, stir, BEAT!"

(* shudder *)

DaveOlden
2003-Feb-18, 09:18 AM
I remember it.

Bea Arthur singing in the cantina (I may be developing anxiety disorder just recalling that part!)

It was however notable for being the debut appearance of one Boba Fett, in a sequence by the Canadian animation house Nelvana, who would later make the Ewok animated series and the Droids series.

But Bea Arthur singing in the cantina?? (breathing deeply...breathing deeply...)

Zathras
2003-Feb-18, 02:50 PM
One hideous thing about this show I remember was Chewbacca's son, Lumpy, who looked terribly goofy. Several have compared him to the littlest kid in Eight is Enough:

http://www.teleport-city.com/images/screencaps/scifi/starwars09.jpg

http://www.teleport-city.com/images/screencaps/scifi/starwars10.jpg

The Bea Arthur bit was pretty frightening, though too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zathras on 2003-02-18 09:52 ]</font>

irony
2003-Feb-18, 04:26 PM
On 2003-02-18 09:50, Zathras wrote:
One hideous thing about this show I remember was Chewbacca's son, Lumpy, who looked terribly goofy. Several have compared him to the littlest kid in Eight is Enough:

That is... disturbing.

daver
2003-Feb-18, 06:16 PM
On 2003-02-18 09:50, Zathras wrote:
One hideous thing about this show I remember was Chewbacca's son, Lumpy, who looked terribly goofy.

Looks like Minya (the son of Godzilla).

R.A.F.
2003-Feb-18, 06:23 PM
On 2003-02-17 19:36, Hale_Bopp wrote:
I saw the first Star Wars on television last night and was reminded of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Thanks a lot. I had totally forgotten about this little gem until you brought it up...now I can't get it out of my mind! O the Horror!

informant
2003-Feb-18, 06:29 PM
So, was there any Bad Astronomy in it?

informant
2003-Feb-18, 06:30 PM
[Sorry about the double post.]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: informant on 2003-02-18 15:45 ]</font>

tazmandevil3
2003-Feb-18, 08:38 PM
Bad Astronomy, Bad Acting, Bad Singing, Bad Characters, Bad...well, everything.

Dickenmeyer
2003-Feb-19, 12:06 AM
On 2003-02-18 13:29, informant wrote:

It was Star Wars, wasn't it? I too had almost completely blocked this from my mind but now all those childhood memories come pouring back....
And lest we forget, let's not leave out the Muppet Show appearance of select Star Wars characters. I think it was Luke, 3PO and R2, Miss Piggy was done up in a flowing white gown and double bun at one point. And I believe there was a rather embarrasing visit to a Bob Hope special too. Talk about your Phantom Menace....

daver
2003-Feb-19, 05:27 PM
On 2003-02-18 19:06, Dickenmeyer wrote:

On 2003-02-18 13:29, informant wrote:

It was Star Wars, wasn't it? I too had almost completely blocked this from my mind but now all those childhood memories come pouring back....
And lest we forget, let's not leave out the Muppet Show appearance of select Star Wars characters. I think it was Luke, 3PO and R2, Miss Piggy was done up in a flowing white gown and double bun at one point. And I believe there was a rather embarrasing visit to a Bob Hope special too. Talk about your Phantom Menace....

The Muppet Show appearance was pre-Ewok. Luke, C-3PO, R2-D2, and Chewie as i recall.

The Shade
2003-Feb-24, 12:23 AM
A few years ago, there was a rumor that George Lucas was actively trying to destroy every copy in existence. Don't blame him, cause that whole thing was the worst thing to ever hit the Star Wars universe.

Colt
2003-Feb-24, 01:08 AM
..there was a Star Wars show? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif This completely and utterly stuns me. Need more info! -Colt

g99
2003-Feb-24, 01:17 AM
I remember the Star wars Cartoon show. It did not have the characters from the movie except the two droids. I liked the show. I wonder what happened to it. Well other than the fact that it was canceled. I have not seen it on reruns since. Mmmmmm...Nostalga.

Come to think of it. It was called droids

Waarthog
2003-Feb-24, 05:29 AM
On 2003-02-23 20:08, Colt wrote:
..there was a Star Wars show? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif This completely and utterly stuns me. Need more info! -Colt

Colt,
Sorry to have to inflict this upon you but you DID ask /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
http://www.stomptokyo.com/movies/star-wars-holiday-special.html

DaveOlden
2003-Feb-24, 07:04 AM
On 2003-02-24 00:29, Waarthog wrote:

On 2003-02-23 20:08, Colt wrote:

Colt,
Sorry to have to inflict this upon you but you DID ask /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
http://www.stomptokyo.com/movies/star-wars-holiday-special.html

That last url has one value as I see. It lists all of those responsible. I understand the Ewoks are getting ready for dinner...

jokergirl
2003-Feb-24, 02:14 PM
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif Oooh my f... goth.
*stares in disbelief*

What a luck that my European upbringing spared me from this abomination...

I remember seeing an Ewok cartoon series on TV when I was little, though. Had nothing to do with SW in any way, except they used the same names they gave to those... creatures... in the series. It only focused on their little world, and was therefore more fantasy than Sci-fi (probably the only way they could make them acceptable, market them to the VERY small kids!).

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

informant
2003-Feb-24, 02:25 PM
Anyone remember the Ewoks movies?
I thought they weren't too bad, as far as children's movies go.

RichField
2003-Feb-24, 06:40 PM
Very vaguely now that you mention it.
I remember something about two kids and a crashed x-wing or other ship.

Not very memorable so I'm not inclined to look up any of the details.

Rich

Colt
2003-Feb-25, 03:16 AM
I remember that too, sort of, I had always thought it was a dream (nightmare more like it) or something. Didn't it have a sort of Obi-Won Kenobi(sp) character that helps the kids repair some sort of ship that he came to the planet long ago in? I also remember some sort of Darth Vader type figure who lives in a castle and has a part for the ship that they need. Though I remember the Darth Vader in that as being more fantastical than the common variety.

Anyone have any clue what we are babbling about? -Colt

David Hall
2003-Feb-25, 06:03 AM
Oh, what is it about man that makes him do such stupid things?

I can't believe I watched the whole thing.

Yes, Waarthog's link actually got me so curious that I decided to track the special down. It was surprisingly easy, just a quick search on Kazaa was all it took. I downloaded it in two parts and set too it.

Short form, yeah, it sucks.

The video quality is lower than dirt, but that's to be expected considering the source. But the show itself was the main point, and it was pretty bad. Actually, the first half is reasonably tolerable as long as you go into it expecting a cheezy late-70's Christmas special and not anything resembling Star Wars itself. But the second half is just atrocious. The whole Harvey-Corman-courts-Bea-Arthur thing in the Cantina was just nauseating, not to mention the fact that it was obviously thrown in to pad out the special. Corman also does an instructional video thing that's just downright boring. And the ending was just plain confusing and anti-climactic (not that there was much there to climax in the first place, mind you).

The Jefferson Starship song was really good, however.

Here's some blatant BA for you. Luke, in trying to guess why Han and Chewie are late, says something like "You know how they are, they could've stopped off somewhere or been held up by an asteroid storm". Yeah, I hate those asteroid storms. They always make me late for work. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Anyway, the big problem with the special is that they took a movie with a fairly serious tone and mixed it with 70's variety and comedy, and then added a dash of "family holiday" spirit. The resulting mixture was thus predictably putrid.

If you've got a fast internet connection and access to the Kazaa network, you might want to check it out, but do it only if ye be men of valor, for bordom awaits, with nasty big pointy...uh, well, you get the idea.

Colt
2003-Feb-25, 06:51 AM
Scary, The Ewok Adventure (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0087225). -Colt

informant
2003-Feb-25, 11:51 AM
On 2003-02-24 22:16, Colt wrote:
I remember that too, sort of, I had always thought it was a dream (nightmare more like it) or something. Didn't it have a sort of Obi-Won Kenobi(sp) character that helps the kids repair some sort of ship that he came to the planet long ago in? I also remember some sort of Darth Vader type figure who lives in a castle and has a part for the ship that they need. Though I remember the Darth Vader in that as being more fantastical than the common variety.

Anyone have any clue what we are babbling about? -Colt

I never saw the three films, just one or two, but now that you mention it I remember some kind of witch-like character in the story. I also think there were horses in the film; I remember wondering where they had come from (Lucas goes to such lengths to remind us that SW takes place 'in a galaxy far, far away'...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: informant on 2003-02-25 08:02 ]</font>

kilopi
2003-Feb-25, 01:36 PM
On 2003-02-25 01:03, David Hall wrote:
Anyway, the big problem with the special is that they took a movie with a fairly serious tone and mixed it with 70's variety and comedy, and then added a dash of "family holiday" spirit. The resulting mixture was thus predictably putrid.
Gotta hate that family holiday spirit stuff.

And did you just call Star Wars "fairly serious"? You can't be Sirius!

David Hall
2003-Feb-25, 02:43 PM
Well, not serious in the Kramer vs. Kramer sense, of course. But they weren't trying for belly-laughs in every scene either. Star Wars was an action flick, and the action parts were taken fairly seriously, if a bit over the top. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Waarthog
2003-Feb-25, 05:17 PM
you might want to check it out, but do it only if ye be men of valor, for bordom awaits, with nasty big pointy...uh, well, you get the idea.

I'll pass. I lived through this vile dreck once when it first came on. I was quite the SW fan in those days and this scarred me horribly. The animated short that introduces Boba Fett was shown at the only con I have been to, seemed to be well received. Go figure.

On another note, I have heard that GL claims no responsibility at all for this abomination. However, given his downright despotic control over all things SW, I think this unlikely.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Waarthog on 2003-02-25 12:19 ]</font>

DaveOlden
2003-Feb-25, 08:28 PM
On 2003-02-25 12:17, Waarthog wrote:
On another note, I have heard that GL claims no responsibility at all for this abomination. However, given his downright despotic control over all things SW, I think this unlikely.

The Christmas Special was made through 20th Century Fox's marketing arm at a time (ca. 1978), before Lucas had full control over the marketing.

Of course he has control over marketing now, but not then.

tracer
2003-Jul-11, 12:38 AM
And I'm so glad to know that George Lucas has full control over the marketing of the Star Wars universe now, because he'll surely keep it free of abominations like ewoks and Jar Jar Binks and ... hey, wait a minute!

OscartheGrouch
2003-Jul-14, 03:04 AM
I am so OLD they have to use Hubble's Law to approximate how far away I am, so I remember this show, actually fondly and when really bored I have wondered what became of it. I suppose I was even more easily amused then than I am now.

Let's see, I think the whole thing was supposed to be about "Life Day" instead of Christmas and IIRC that was baffling because it wasn't broadcast all that close to Christmas. Chewie's family was interesting but since I was above "Eight Is Too Rough" I didn't make that connection. I don't remember, blessedly, the Bea/Harvey scene.

I did, somehow, see the Ewoks movie, and I believe that one concerned a reluctant hero with gimmicky sidekick who leads the underdogs in successful revolution against an evil sovereign with supernatural powers. Gee, where have we seen THIS before? I dunno, maybe in The Beastmaster, Willow, Dragonheart, The Scorpion King, The Three Amigos ... Where are the Hot Shots producers when you really need them?

tracer
2003-Jul-15, 04:00 PM
I think the whole thing was supposed to be about "Life Day" instead of Christmas and IIRC that was baffling because it wasn't broadcast all that close to Christmas.
I distinctly remember a mailman visiting Mrs. Chewbacca, and as he left he told her, "Hey, have a good Life Day. I mean that."

This line, and the whole "Stir, whip, stir, whip, whip, whip, stir, beat!" thing, are the only things I still remember from that fateful night in 1977.

waynek
2003-Jul-16, 07:53 PM
I guess I was at the "target age" for that show originally, because I had fond memories of it. Fond, that is, until I made the mistake of downloading it from WinMX. I've had it for months and haven't gotten through it yet. How could my childhood memories so betray me?! I guess when you're six nothing is too corny as long as it's Star Wars, but it really is the worst thing that ever happened to the Star Wars universe. I keep it for the nostalga factor, but I doubt I'll ever actually watch it all the way through.

man on the moon
2003-Jul-16, 08:10 PM
it didn't air anywhere close to Christmas...it's only called a holiday special because it aired on my birthday. :D

of course i wasn't due to be born for another couple years, otherwise i probably wouldn't have let it slide...