PDA

View Full Version : Big Screen Pratchett

scotsman
2006-Jan-10, 02:33 PM
Ok slightly off topic - since the movie hasn't ben made yeat , but the first big screen adaption of a Terry Pratchett book has just been accounced - "Wee Free Men" will be directed by Sam"Spiderman"Rami - for a 2007 release

Look Here for the details (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=17804)

For those of you unfamliar with the adventures of Ms Aching - and the Pictisies, well think Alice through the looking glass - with the cast of Braveheart along for the ride , oh and they're 4 inches tall - and could drink Anyone under the table!

With the TV adaption of "Johnny and Bomb" starting this week on UK TV, and a rumoured adaption of Hogfather also on the cards for UK TV next christmas - it looks like Terry might be making the final breakthrough!

Lianachan
2006-Jan-10, 02:40 PM
I've seen a couple of animations based on his books - Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters (from memory, sorry if that's not right).

Also, wasn't there a TV series of Truckers a while ago?

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-10, 02:44 PM
Crivens!

Nae Quin! Nae Laird! Wee free Nac Mac Feegle!

Nae more TV drama! Wee ha' the movies on oour side!

Gillianren
2006-Jan-10, 07:58 PM
I've seen a couple of animations based on his books - Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters (from memory, sorry if that's not right).

That's right. Both of 'em are on my Amazon wish list.

Any idea on when we're going to get Johnny and the Bomb over here? . . . Never? . . . Yeah, that's what I figured.

Also, will Wee Free Men be animated or live action?

(I'm also not holding my breath; he was in negotiations, many years ago, for a movie of Mort, but it fell through, because the studio execs wanted to leave out one of the characters. Death.)

gopher65
2006-Jan-11, 12:25 AM
(I'm also not holding my breath; he was in negotiations, many years ago, for a movie of Mort, but it fell through, because the studio execs wanted to leave out one of the characters. Death.)

*Jaw drops* you are joking. He's the main character. Why don't we make a superman movie without superman. Or how about we remake Lost, but without all those pesky planecrash victims. Yeah. That would be a good show.

Lianachan
2006-Jan-11, 12:47 AM
Crivens!

Nae Quin! Nae Laird! Wee free Nac Mac Feegle!

Nae more TV drama! Wee ha' the movies on oour side!

If I'd known he was going to spawn such attrocious stereotypes I'd have cut his hands off when I had the chance! Maybe I should read that one, or shall I just wait for Groundskeeper Willie from The Simpsons to publish his autobiography?

Gillianren
2006-Jan-11, 01:07 AM
*Jaw drops* you are joking. He's the main character. Why don't we make a superman movie without superman. Or how about we remake Lost, but without all those pesky planecrash victims. Yeah. That would be a good show.

No. I'm not joking. I read it in an interview with the man himself, explaining why there had not yet been a Discworld movie.

As to the stereotypes inherent in the Feegle . . . he says it's based on (I believe) Glaswegian slang. Largely because he didn't see why the English should get all the Fae. (My word, not his; I can't remember what word he used.) However, since the hobby of those books, as I see it, is playing with stereotypes (ever compare King Verence and Prince Philip?), I'm not sure why you think it'll be an exact stereotype.

Charly
2006-Jan-11, 01:58 AM
The problem with Pratchett, most of his jokes are in the language and narrative, which will not translate very well.

I think discworld is best left as in book form.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-11, 05:13 AM
If I'd known he was going to spawn such attrocious stereotypes I'd have cut his hands off when I had the chance! Maybe I should read that one, or shall I just wait for Groundskeeper Willie from The Simpsons to publish his autobiography?
As in several other books he takes the stereotype and turns the volume all the way up to ridiculous, thus making them really funny, while at the same time respecting them as people individually.
I think you should read the book before passing judgement, unless you've already read Carpe Jugulum where they are introduced, though without much detail.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-11, 05:33 AM

Also, wasn't there a TV series of Truckers a while ago?
You memory is correct.
I rather liked them, especially the soundtrack of Soul Music, though both irritated me a bit because the voiceactors occasionally act as if they are telling jokes rather than saying likes that happen, for people on the outside, to be funny.

Truckers (http://imdb.com/title/tt0105646/) was a stopmotion animates miniseries by Thames Television. It's probably going to be hard to find as Thames got sold off in '92.
I really liked it when I saw it, clear enough in execution that I knew which story it was after less than a minute (I missed the start), even though I hadn't read the book at the time, only heard about it.

Gillianren
2006-Jan-11, 07:44 AM
Truckers (http://imdb.com/title/tt0105646/) was a stopmotion animates miniseries by Thames Television. It's probably going to be hard to find as Thames got sold off in '92.

Yeah, but Count Duckula and Danger Mouse, both from Thames, are now available on DVD. (Because, you know, my wish list just wasn't long enough!)

Lianachan
2006-Jan-11, 07:49 AM
As in several other books he takes the stereotype and turns the volume all the way up to ridiculous, thus making them really funny, while at the same time respecting them as people individually.
I think you should read the book before passing judgement, unless you've already read Carpe Jugulum where they are introduced, though without much detail.

No, I'm not passing judgement. Perhaps if I'd used the word inspire rather than spawn then my meaning would have been more clear. My point is, essentially, that if it was heavily stereotyped Ebonics then it would probably be considered racist, but because it's heavily stereotyped Scottish then that seems to be fine. I don't see the difference.

(edited supplemental info: I'm not offended in the slightest, I just have a tired "ah yes, here we go again" kind of feeling)

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-12, 05:33 AM
Isn't Ebonics a heavily stereotyped joke already?

ToSeek
2006-Jan-12, 04:52 PM
I speak jive....

Max32RoC
2006-Jan-29, 07:36 PM
i know this becauz ive got this Discworld collectors edition 2006 calendar and one of the illustrators is making the environments for the upcoming movie ,,Hogfather''
:lol: or :cry: ???

kylenano
2006-Feb-26, 05:31 PM
Not exactly big screen (heard it trailed on the radio this afternoon): Tuesday 28 February 2006 23:00-23:30 (Radio 4 FM)
Small Gods (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/smallgods/)

1/4. There are gods everywhere on the Discworld but only a few people can see them. On the Discworld, gods need people more than people need gods.

Most Radio 4 programmes are available online for a week after broadcast.

Roy Batty
2006-Feb-27, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the heads up, i'll definately listen to it :)

Gillianren
2006-Feb-27, 08:02 PM
The hazards of being a Pratchett fan over here--you lot over there get all the cool stuff!

Roy Batty
2006-Feb-27, 08:45 PM
Don't worry, I don't think the BBC restrict online access to the UK, you should be able to catch it here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/index.shtml?logo) for a week:)
... and of course it will be aired 1st at the more sociable time of 3pm where you are:cool:

Gillianren
2006-Feb-27, 10:21 PM
Thanks. I will, hopefully, remember to listen.

kylenano
2006-Apr-11, 05:40 PM
Currently being re-broadcast on Radio 4. Programme 3 is tomorrow (12th April): Relatively Einstein (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/relativelyeinstein.shtml)
Non-scientists discuss Einstein's influence
First broadcast in 2005. Revised repeats 10-13 April 2006 3.45-4.00pm
Programme 3 Fantasy Physics
Terry Pratchett and Ian Stewart.
It's available to listen to on the website.

Alasdhair
2006-Apr-11, 10:14 PM
I speak jive....

Golly!

Staiduk
2006-Apr-11, 11:38 PM
I'm thrilled they're making a Discworld film (so long as they don't screw it up), but why Wee Free Men?

I love the book - it's a charming fairy tale, but if one is to introduce the Disc; it seems to make sense to use a more central storyline. One that centers around - for instance - the Watch of Ankh-Morpork or the Witches of Lancre. Young Tiffany's story is a good one, but not for an introductory film, I think.

Of course; if their target audience is going to be children; it would make more sense. :)

captain swoop
2006-Apr-13, 09:15 AM
Sky are working on a TV production of 'Hogfather'

scotsman
2006-Apr-13, 09:59 AM
The Hogfather film/miniseries is getting a resonable amount of publicity over here in the UK, the only odd part as far as I can see is that David Jason is starring in it as Albert, Death's manservant , OK its an intresting role , but Sir David is a big star here int he Uk, and Albert really isn't that big a role.. I just wonder if star power will end up distorting the actual book...

(However I am intrested how see the 4 pigs who pull the hogfathers sleigh are put on screen , especially their "accidents" in the store! )

One nice quote is from the director of the film , they're shooting in Prague, and its environs , and he was quoted as saying that they are also filming some scenes in Transalvania , since the day rates for Vampires are so much lower there ... makes me think he's caught the spirit of Diskworld ....

Fram
2006-Apr-13, 01:19 PM
The only reason to make Pratchett's Wee Free Men as a movie in 2007 is because the original "wee free men" will be released as a movie in 2008... The Smurfs! And no one wants to see the copy anymore once you can have the original.

Just kidding, I love both!

captain swoop
2006-Apr-18, 01:59 PM
David jason does a good 'OldCodger' though. remember hw as in 'Porridge' as 'Blanco' the old 'lag' when he was still in his 20s and his first TV role with Ron Barker was as an old gardener in a series of one off comedy shows. When they were casting 'Dads Army' he was up for the Corperal Jones part that went to Clive Dunn as the Idea was he looked real old but could do all kind of stunts as he was a young actor.

Mellow
2006-May-04, 07:30 AM
I think I'm a little concerned that there seem to be many different Pratchett projects based upon different novels. I am worried that as a result, there will not be a nice coherent view of Discworld and its characters as a result and thus it's impact would be lost.

I guess I'm still annoyed that Discworld hasn't been taken roundworld by storm as Harry Potter has.... And that whole series is a fairly simple derevation of the standard English boarding school story.

Roy Batty
2006-May-04, 11:10 AM
I guess I'm still annoyed that Discworld hasn't been taken roundworld by storm as Harry Potter has.... And that whole series is a fairly simple derevation of the standard English boarding school story.

Yes, it is a shame.
LOL.. Jennings & Derbyshire + Tom Brown, with wands! :)

Mellow
2006-May-04, 11:43 AM
Ahhaaaaaa, it was Jennings I was trying to remember. Yup, Jennings with a wand!

Roy Batty
2006-May-04, 12:00 PM
Ahhaaaaaa, it was Jennings I was trying to remember. Yup, Jennings with a wand!
Totally Ozzard! :)

HenrikOlsen
2006-May-05, 07:14 AM
I'm thrilled they're making a Discworld film (so long as they don't screw it up), but why Wee Free Men?
I'm guessing that it's because being on the disc is completely irrelevant, and it's the one most likely to hitch a ride on the Potter success.

Mellow
2006-May-05, 08:43 AM
Personally, I think the Watch are the best stories, but maybe the Wizards at UU would have been a good way to hitch on the Potter success....

Roy Batty
2006-May-05, 02:13 PM
Did anyone else in the UK see the play 'Guards! Guards!' about 5 or 6 years back? Not sure how extensively it toured but I caught it in Wimbledon & it was great! Paul Darrow (Avon, Blake's Seven fame) played a good Vimes :)

Alasdhair
2006-May-05, 06:55 PM
Yes, I saw that too, at the Theatre Royal up here in Newcastle IIRC.

An excellent production, Paul Darrow played Vimes to a tee

Roy Batty
2006-May-05, 08:02 PM
Yes, I saw that too, at the Theatre Royal up here in Newcastle IIRC.

An excellent production, Paul Darrow played Vimes to a tee

Fantastic! I have a vague memory of it being in Brighton beforehand but wasn't sure. Any plays in the States/Canada anyone?

Mellow
2006-May-08, 07:23 AM
Well, I saw it at the Hexagon in Reading. Much as I dislike paul darrow, it was rather good I thought.

Gillianren
2006-May-08, 07:35 AM
You know, I live in (or near, really) what is apparently the Pratchett fan capital of America, and we never get this kind of thing. Or maybe we do, and it's just all in Seattle where I can't get to it/don't hear about it in the first place. But y'all BBC types are so spoiled--Johnny and the Bomb and radio plays and such. No fair.