PDA

View Full Version : Friends don't let friends join cults

Damburger
2006-Jan-11, 08:21 PM
So, my housemate appears to have signed up for the 'Church' of Scientology. I don't know exactly when, but I found out this morning when I saw a letter from them.

She doesn't listen to me at the best of times, and we've been arguing recently, so I've no idea how to approach her with the suggestion that scientologists are a bunch of [CHARACTERIZATION AND LANGUAGE REMOVED BY MODERATOR].

Anyone think of what I could do?

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-11, 08:28 PM
So, my housemate appears to have signed up for the 'Church' of Scientology. I don't know exactly when, but I found out this morning when I saw a letter from them.

She doesn't listen to me at the best of times, and we've been arguing recently, so I've no idea how to approach her with the suggestion that scientologists are a bunch of [CHARACTERIZATION AND LANGUAGE REMOVED BY MODERATOR].

Depends on what you mean by "roommate." Is it a platonic roommate? Or is there a relationship beyond being friends/roommates?

If it is strictly a roomie, I'd just leave, as quickly and peacably as possible before the wierdness starts/gets very far. Having had a couple roommate situations go bad at school, I now realize I should have just immediately bailed when my gut told me so.

snarkophilus
2006-Jan-11, 08:45 PM

I suggest a good knock to the head, to re-align the thinking molecules into correct working position. It's sort of like when the TV starts spewing a bunch of static: smack it enough times, and it behaves properly.

Or, you know, just sit down and have a good talk. Listen to why she wants to join, don't make suggestions or anything, and figure out what she hopes to get out of it. Search for more reasonable alternatives, practice explaining to yourself why they are more reasonable, then approach her with your concerns and suggestions.

Or pass along some information about a guy named Gerry Armstrong, and ask if she really wants to be part of an organisation that has the Fair Game clause.

Also, this is a really good essay on the matter. http://www.xenu.net/archive/infopack/16.htm

Monique
2006-Jan-11, 09:12 PM
I suggest tread in careful fashion. To join cult may be bad thing, but people allowed to make choice. If push you too much, may produce much conflict.

Carnifex
2006-Jan-11, 09:36 PM
Anyway, you won't make a mistake by talking with her. Don't attack her, don't persuade, just ask, what is she seeking there, what is she expecting to find, what are her expactations. After that you may get into a discussion about it (again, no rushing) and... If you're lucky and she's intelligent, everything will be alright.

And yes, it depends whether you're just room-mates or... ROOM-MATES.

Taks
2006-Jan-11, 09:55 PM
step 1: research what it means for a friend/family member to join a cult. there are a variety of self-help resources out there. there is imporant information for you.

step 2: whatever you do, don't argue the point. i.e. let them be happy, and always let them know you are supportive. this 2nd step is important, too, because at some point, they will start trying to turn your friend against you. the easiest way to do this, from their position, is to convince your friend that you are totally opposed to his/her membership and that you are actually turning against him/her. if you are supportive, this will always leave an air of doubt about the cult's motives as you are not behaving as the cult is indicating.

i went through this once myself. my brother hooked up with a jehova's witness (the hypocrisy of the fact that she strayed from their cabal and engaged in pre-marital badness, violating every thing she stood for, was not immediately apparent to my brother) . he started attending their bible studies and announced to the family that anybody not in the JW religion would soon be considered an outsider. he was ready to marry the girl and join...

but something happened. they were slowly trying to turn him away from us by talking us all down. we were bad, in their eyes, and would fight him every step of the way. we would never accept his new found inner peace and joy and he should forget about us. my family, however, was quite the opposite. we told him we did not care if he joined JWs, scientology, satanic worshipping groups or what ever. as long as we got to see him, we were fine. the internal conflict must have been maddening, and painful. he finally broke up with the girl, and came back to reality.

nobody in the family speaks of this episode in our lives. ever.

taks

Skipjack
2006-Jan-11, 10:29 PM
I would go by showing her this Southpark episode that can actually be downloaded legally from here (scroll down to the bottom of the page):
http://www.xenu.com/
direct link:
http://www.xenu.net/archive/media/Vault/South.Park.S09E12.DSR.XviD-XOR.avi

If this does not help, then probably nothing helps...

He who is proud to be a SP :)
CU
Skipjack

ToSeek
2006-Jan-11, 10:34 PM
The last time we had a discussion of Scientology on these boards, two long-time posters got banned. Considering that it counts as religion, at least according to its practitioners, I think it's inappropriate in any case. Locked.