PDA

View Full Version : More Firefly?

SeanF
2006-Jan-12, 02:34 PM
Serenity's Visual FX supervisor is optimistic (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=34083&type=0), and says the movie's low box-office take was not unexpected.

Keep your fingers crossed! :)

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-12, 07:02 PM
Who do we write to get it done?

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-14, 01:57 AM
Buy the DVD, that's better that any writing you can do.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-14, 01:59 AM
Done. And Serenity twice. Long story.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Jan-14, 02:07 AM
Done. And Serenity twice. Long story.
Which you already told elsewhere.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-14, 02:10 AM
Yep. No need to repeat that one.

SeanF
2006-Jan-14, 03:47 AM
Yep. No need to repeat that one.
Well, the first time he told it full-screen, but maybe now he'll tell it widescreen.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-14, 03:58 AM
Everyone's a comedian... ;)

Kristophe
2006-Jan-14, 04:33 PM
The SciFi Wire interview is being reviewed skeptically over on the Browncoats forum and Whedonesque. Apparently the DVD charts don't back up what Loni Peristere had to say, but then again they don't seem to back up what they say themselves -- every single one of them is pretty much in conflict with all the rest. So who knows? And who knows what kind of standards Universal set on the movie to make it worth their while to produce another one.

Frankly, I think the future of Firefly/Serenity rests on Joss Whedon's other works. He hasn't really done anything to make John Q. Public care, and not all of us were in any way fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In fact, when I learned that he was the Buffy guy, I didn't really know what to think: Serenity appealed to me greatly, and I was just blown away by how someone could write one thing that was so totally my thing, and something else that was so totally not. Having his name attached solely to Buffy and Angel probably isn't the best thing from a marketing standpoint, since he already has a dedicated fan base, and "Buffy" just doesn't reach out to people who aren't a part of it.

Over the next couple of years, the studio will figure out just who this guy is, and how to market him, and in doing so they'll figure out how to market Serenity. I think a good first step would be to release the gorram collectors tins outside of Australia, but that's just me and my tin envy.

Count Zero
2006-Jan-14, 05:48 PM
In the strange world of Hollywood accounting, a movie is considered profitable if it grosses 3x what it took to make it (I don't know the rational behind this). Serenity took $40 million to produce. It made $35 million in world-wide box office. I don't know how well the DVD is doing, dollar-wise.

Yoshua
2006-Jan-16, 01:28 AM
Well I liked Buffy and Angel, which did make me raise an eyebrow when I saw he was connected with Firefly (it was introduced with his name at the top, but at the time I had no idea who he was). Still, having seen a lot of Buffy and Angel since seeing Firefly, it's much more obvious to me now.

I got the impression that both the Serenity and Firefly box sets were doing rather well in DVD sales. I know the box set has been a top 10 seller since the movie, and the movie quickly joined the box set once it was available.

AstroSmurf
2006-Jan-16, 01:12 PM
I know for a fact that the low box office takes here in Göteborg, Sweden, are a result of the short run the movie had. I was at the preview, and would have gone again - we did a Firefly binge and were going to schedule a Serenity night too but found out it had stopped showing before we had the chance. Pity.

R.A.F.
2006-Jan-16, 01:40 PM
Slightly off topic...

I got the impression that both the Serenity and Firefly box sets were doing rather well in DVD sales. I know the box set has been a top 10 seller since the movie, and the movie quickly joined the box set once it was available.

Well, I don't know how this impacts sales, but our cable company is offering the entire Firefly series in 3 episode "chunks" for 2.99 each.

SeanF
2006-Jan-16, 03:56 PM
I know for a fact that the low box office takes here in Göteborg, Sweden, are a result of the short run the movie had.
It's quite likely that the short run was itself a result of the low box office take. :)

SeanF
2006-Jan-31, 08:23 PM
Anybody have any idea what this (http://www.fireflyseason2.com/Index.asp) is all about?

:think:

(Besides the obvious, I mean. Are these folks for real?)

ToSeek
2006-Jan-31, 08:50 PM
Anybody have any idea what this (http://www.fireflyseason2.com/Index.asp) is all about?

:think:

(Besides the obvious, I mean. Are these folks for real?)

Fans with delusions of grandeur (http://www.fireflyseason2.com/About.htm)

As a Trekkie and such from way back, I've encountered this sort of stuff over and over again. I've never seen it amount to anything.

Charly
2006-Jan-31, 09:54 PM
ID prefer to see a continuation of the series.

The stories can be far richer and more enjoyable in the long run.

Launch window
2006-Oct-08, 08:27 AM
Whedon Confirms No Serenity Sequel

http://www.canmag.com/news/4/3/5253

"There's no sequel, no secret project regarding Serenity or somesuch and I'm not even sure how anyone thought there was talk there. I've seen Nathan and Tim (and Summer and Alan) recently because they're my friends because I'm so, yeah, awesome. So let's put that to bed and smother it with a pillow."

Dr Nigel
2006-Oct-14, 08:10 PM
It's quite likely that the short run was itself a result of the low box office take. :)

Or, perhaps, a consequence of a low anticipated box office take. If a studio really wants people to go and see a movie, it markets the hell out of it, and people do go and see it (if only to contibute their own opinion when all their friends / colleagues are talking about it).

Several times, I've read of a movie that did not do so well, where the studio describe it as unprofitable, and I realise that I've seen no advertising for the movie.

Rift
2006-Oct-14, 09:28 PM
It didn't even play here, and Kansas City isn't THAT small. I soooo wanted to see it on a big screen. I guess I'm part of the low box office take since I didn't drive 250 miles (or more) to a city that did play it...

Moose
2006-Oct-16, 02:18 AM
Several times, I've read of a movie that did not do so well, where the studio describe it as unprofitable, and I realise that I've seen no advertising for the movie.

Or the show, for that matter. It did incredibly well for a show/movie whose executives appeared to be bent on sabotaging (as opposed to the less malignant mismanaging*) from day one. It'd be interesting to know how much those "grandes poches" made for doing sweet Richard all.

(* Malice or incompetance? You pick. I don't know which choice depresses me less.)

Serenitude
2006-Oct-19, 10:02 AM
On one hand, I think "My God. Even "Blair Witch" got a sequel!"

But, in the long view, in a way I rather like where it left off: with our plucky hero riding off into the infinite, and no chance for things to get all Jar-Jar'd up. Instead, it finishes as one of the greatest sci-fi tales ever told.

Serenitude
2006-Oct-19, 10:03 AM
On one hand, I think "My God. Even "Blair Witch" got a sequel!"

But, in the long view, in a way I rather like where it left off: with our plucky hero riding off into the infinite, and no chance for things to get all Jar-Jar'd up. Instead, it finishes as one of the greatest sci-fi tales ever told.

MrClean
2006-Oct-19, 12:08 PM
It didn't even play here, and Kansas City isn't THAT small. I soooo wanted to see it on a big screen. I guess I'm part of the low box office take since I didn't drive 250 miles (or more) to a city that did play it...

Uhhhh, I saw it at the Barrywoods 24 in Kansas City, twice.

You gotta move up to the Northland, you know, Gods Country.

It was in the big room first time, 500 plus capacity. I had plenty of room to spread out. Next week I saw it in one of the off fooms that sit a little under 100 and I was there with 3 others. Then again, I was getting off work at 11 in the morning, so it's not really movie going time for most folks.

SeanF
2007-Oct-05, 07:20 PM
Anybody want more rumors (http://www.moviehole.net/news/20071004_serenity_2_a_new_hope.html)?

korjik
2007-Oct-05, 08:57 PM
Anybody want more rumors (http://www.moviehole.net/news/20071004_serenity_2_a_new_hope.html)?

Now there is a rumour that needs to be substantiated

Matherly
2007-Oct-05, 09:21 PM
There is another rumor that I heard that says Joss will write a comic series continuing the tale of the Serenity. It's supposed to be after a "big score" and the crews difficulties after they are no longer "small fish in a big 'Verse"

Given the success of Buffy: Season 8, and the confirmed coming of Angel: After the Fall I would definatly says this had some merit.

Noclevername
2007-Oct-05, 10:30 PM
When I saw the header "More Firefly", my gut response was "yes, please!"

Moose
2007-Oct-05, 11:57 PM
To quote the lolcoon: "Really REALLY WANT."

Van Rijn
2007-Oct-06, 12:20 AM
Given the success of Buffy: Season 8, and the confirmed coming of Angel: After the Fall I would definatly says this had some merit.

Now I'll have to pay attention just to see how they pull off the confrontation from the end of the TV series. If they had continued with that series, I fully expected that at the start of the next season, they would have shown the slayer army on the other side of the demon horde. I think I'd be annoyed if they handled it any other way.

SMEaton
2007-Oct-08, 02:09 PM
Re: SeanF's link... Tudyk's character died, so would the next movie (if there will be one) be a prequel, or is he just excited that his good buddies get to make a movie without him?

antoniseb
2007-Oct-08, 02:15 PM
Maybe he's helping in some other capacity, or maybe, like us, he just wants to see the next movie.

SeanF
2007-Oct-08, 03:40 PM
Now there is a rumour that needs to be substantiated
Glenn Reynolds (http://instapundit.com/archives2/010242.php) says that Tim Minear "was unable to confirm or deny," which I guess is better than a denial. :)

Re: SeanF's link... Tudyk's character died, so would the next movie (if there will be one) be a prequel, or is he just excited that his good buddies get to make a movie without him?
The link quotes Tudyk as saying, "Everybody in the Firefly crew – and that includes the ones who died in the movie – are excited about the prospect of doing another." Bad grammar notwithstanding ("Everybody is," Alan), maybe there'd just be flashbacks or memories or hallucinations or somesuch?

antoniseb
2007-Oct-08, 04:26 PM
("Everybody is," Alan)
Book didn't make it either.

SeanF
2007-Oct-08, 06:57 PM
Correct grammar is "Everybody in the Firefly crew is excited," not "are excited," and the additional phrase ("and that includes the ones who died in the movie") doesn't change that.

It's got nothing to do with any plot points, and it was a pretty pointless aside on my part, too. :)

Jim
2007-Oct-08, 07:48 PM
Nonsense, good grammar is always on point.

Hey, they brought back Bobby Ewing, they brought back Spock, they brought back that guy from 24... why not?

Trynn Allen
2007-Oct-09, 09:12 PM
A bloody big harpoon through the torso seems a bit more final, than rad poisoning, a gun shot wound and I don't watch 24

Noclevername
2007-Oct-10, 02:34 AM
One word: Flashbacks.

sendo
2007-Oct-10, 04:08 AM
They should have released it during the summer... waiting till October didn't help.

A prequel might do well... but now that the

ummm this message may contain spoilers...

Now that the secret is out about the origins of the Reavers... I really would like to see where Joss takes it.

Apparently sales of the collector edition will decide the fate of a sequel.

PhantomWolf
2007-Oct-11, 01:58 AM
One word: Flashbacks.

Perhaps for Book, I could easily see Wash returning as a sort of mental sidekick for Zoe and little like Number 6 was for Gaius Baltar in the new Battlestar, only done WAY better.

Inferno
2007-Oct-11, 03:51 AM
Please not a prequel!

Lurking Nerd
2007-Oct-11, 09:06 PM
Please not a prequel!

I concur, no prequel please. I would like to see what happens next in the verse. With that, they should handle Wash's death realistically. No coming back. No exact look-a-like twin. He's gone so the story would show how the characters deal with that. They could show pictures or home movies* of Wash as they try to cope but I'm hoping that is all it would be. Of course, this is all my personal opinion and may bear no resemblance to any reality in this or any other universe.

*Like the scene of Inara Mal was looking at before she waved him. I don't remember if they gave a specific name for it so home movie just seemed like the easiest way to say what I'm trying to.

Moose
2007-Oct-12, 04:00 PM
It would be nice to know more about Book's pre-Shepherd life. Perhaps as the remaining crew discovers Book's history, it could be relayed in flashback form. I don't know how this could be handled in terms of Wash, he didn't have much of a story that wasn't firmly rooted in Serenity's present.

NGCHunter
2007-Oct-12, 07:36 PM
Fans with delusions of grandeur (http://www.fireflyseason2.com/About.htm)

As a Trekkie and such from way back, I've encountered this sort of stuff over and over again. I've never seen it amount to anything.

Sure you have... we have a test shuttle named Enterprise as a result! lol.

Tobin Dax
2007-Oct-12, 10:22 PM
No exact look-a-like twin.
You're right. The twin should have the mustache. :D

ToSeek
2007-Oct-15, 03:39 AM
Sure you have... we have a test shuttle named Enterprise as a result! lol.

I was always kind of annoyed about that: the space program is going to pot, but, gee, we have a shuttle named "Enterprise!" (But let's not mention that it's never going to leave the atmosphere....)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Oct-15, 04:08 AM
More Firefly? Or more cowbell?

Krel
2007-Oct-15, 08:42 PM
I was always kind of annoyed about that: the space program is going to pot, but, gee, we have a shuttle named "Enterprise!" (But let's not mention that it's never going to leave the atmosphere....)

And it's all the Trekies fault. That shuttle was suppose to be called the Columbia, and the functioning shuttle was to be called the Enterprise. But the Trekies started a big campaign to have the gliding mock-up named the Enterprise. End result? A fake shuttle named after a fictional starship. :lol:

David.

Larry Jacks
2007-Oct-15, 09:32 PM
The story I remember from the 1970s was that the "Enterprise" was supposed to be named the "Constitution." The Trekkies lobbied to get the name changed and were successful. I recall reading at the time that "this wasn't the first time the Constitution took a back seat to a special interest group" or words to that effect.

This article (http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/resources/orbiters/enterprise.html) from NASA confirms what I remember.

Enterprise, the first Space Shuttle Orbiter, was originally to be named Constitution (in honor of the U.S. Constitution's Bicentennial). However, viewers of the popular TV Science Fiction show Star Trek started a write-in campaign urging the White House to select the name Enterprise.

Similar stories are found here (http://www.spaceline.org/rocketsum/enterprise.html) and here (http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/09/dayintech_0917).

Krel
2007-Oct-16, 01:15 AM
Well, at least give me partial credit, I managed to remembered that the name started with a "C". :lol:

David.

Delvo
2007-Oct-16, 02:11 AM
Why WAS there a fake shuttle anyway?

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Oct-16, 02:33 AM
It was test shuttle, to check out some of the systems while it flew onback of an airplane.

sendo
2007-Oct-16, 02:37 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Serenity-2-May-Happen-6547.html

here's something more official I guess

Van Rijn
2007-Oct-16, 02:37 AM

If you're referring to OV-101, it was no fake. It was originally intended to go to orbit, but the shuttle required a redesign, and it was easier to build new.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Oct-16, 02:38 AM
Also googled this from nasa.
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/resources/orbiters/enterprise.html

Van Rijn
2007-Oct-16, 02:42 AM
The story I remember from the 1970s was that the "Enterprise" was supposed to be named the "Constitution." The Trekkies lobbied to get the name changed and were successful. I recall reading at the time that "this wasn't the first time the Constitution took a back seat to a special interest group" or words to that effect.

Of course, the fictional NCC-1701 was a Constitution class starship. So either way . . . .

SeanF
2007-Oct-16, 01:39 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Serenity-2-May-Happen-6547.html

here's something more official I guess
Not really. It's just somebody else writing about the same original article that I posted about. :)

NGCHunter
2007-Oct-16, 01:52 PM
Not really. It's just somebody else writing about the same original article that I posted about. :)

True, but the more buzz this generates, the better. I foolishly already have my hopes up about something coming from this.

korjik
2007-Oct-16, 07:47 PM
It would be nice to know more about Book's pre-Shepherd life. Perhaps as the remaining crew discovers Book's history, it could be relayed in flashback form. I don't know how this could be handled in terms of Wash, he didn't have much of a story that wasn't firmly rooted in Serenity's present.

I dunno, I figure we got a look at Book's history in the movie.

sendo
2007-Oct-17, 10:08 AM

Thats true.. I was just excited to see an article somewhere.. haha