PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who coming to the USA!!!!

hewhocaves
2006-Jan-13, 06:13 AM
Starting on St. Patricks' Day to the Scifi channel!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/scifi.shtml

oh.. and the BBC's splash page is pretty cool as well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

It's about bloody time, too!

john

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-13, 09:18 AM
It's not to bad, pity about the Doctor leaving at the end of the session.

Jakenorrish
2006-Jan-13, 10:14 AM
Watch it. It was an awesome series, The new Doctor (Chris Eccleson) is regarded as one of the best, the stories and plots are superb its really frightening at times, like all good Dr Who's. It went down really well with the British public and saw huge ratings for the BBC.

Plus it was mainly filmed in my home city of Cardiff, so you all get to see what it looks like!

jumbo
2006-Jan-13, 11:26 AM
Plus it was mainly filmed in my home city of Cardiff, so you all get to see what it looks like!
Watching the christmas special i think i spent more time location spotting that plot following. The santas with the flamethrower things appeared to have decided outside waterstones was the best place to begin their attack. IIRC some areas inside the stadium were used to stand in for a military base in a few episodes too.

I didnt see them filming (i think a lot was done at odd hours) but when out in the park on my bike i did ride past Christopher Ecclestone on his sunday morning jog. I didnt recognise him at first but hes got distinctive features and it dawned on me just after he passed by.

The new doctor seems to have potential to be quite interesting.

Jakenorrish
2006-Jan-13, 12:07 PM
I noticed them at Loudon House in Butetown in one episode, I was surprised to see them risking all of that expensive equipment there!

Did you see the gas ghosts one? For some reason they used the alley by the side of the old arcade pub for that one!

jumbo
2006-Jan-13, 12:12 PM
I didnt see that one no. I ended up missing several episodes.
Didnt they blow up the old David Morgan store in one episode? I think it was that shop as i know of one guy who isnt into Dr Who at all but watched the episode just to see that explode as he had been dragged around it by family members too many times for his liking!

Nowhere Man
2006-Jan-13, 05:12 PM
One of the (few) advantages of living near Detroit: We get the CBC-TV broadcasts via cable and antenna out of Windsor, Ontario. CBC carried these episodes last year, and I watched the Christmas episode just after New Year's. If you ask me, that episode could have taken place at any time, but they set it during Xmas 'cos that's when it was being broadcast.

I'll suspend judgement on Eccleston's replacement until I see a few more episodes.

Fred

enginelessjohn
2006-Jan-13, 06:26 PM
If you ask me, that episode could have taken place at any time, but they set it during Xmas 'cos that's when it was being broadcast.

Yes but then you wouldn't get killer christmas trees....

Cheers
John

ToSeek
2006-Jan-13, 07:08 PM
One of the (few) advantages of living near Detroit: We get the CBC-TV broadcasts via cable and antenna out of Windsor, Ontario. CBC carried these episodes last year, and I watched the Christmas episode just after New Year's. If you ask me, that episode could have taken place at any time, but they set it during Xmas 'cos that's when it was being broadcast.

I'll suspend judgement on Eccleston's replacement until I see a few more episodes.

Fred

Tennant has been well-received so far. A lot of the British fans were very excited about him as he's a huge Doctor Who fan himself and has done some fannish stuff, like the Doctor Who audios that Big Finish produces.

peter eldergill
2006-Jan-13, 07:44 PM
The new "New Doctor" ,Tennant (according to ToSeek), is the guy who played Barty Crouch, Jr (the antagonist) in the Goblet of Fire

Pete

Bad jcsd
2006-Jan-13, 09:30 PM
Christopher Ecclestone is a superb actor, one of the best British actors around at the moment (and that's a reputation he had before he did Doctor Who). More than anything else he made the last series of Doctor Who.

Comapred to Christopher Ecclestone who had a very well-established reputation when he took the role, David Tennant is more of an up and coming actor for who great things are predicted. One feature length episode isn't enough to judge him on how good a Doctor he is.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-13, 09:42 PM
Some fans have argued that Eccleston's departure after one season was actually a good thing for the series, as it will establish that the revived show can survive a change of Doctors. If Eccleston had stuck around for five or six years, his decision to depart might have been sufficient grounds to cancel the series again.

R.A.F.
2006-Jan-13, 09:51 PM
OK...here's where I make a rather sad admission...I have never viewed a single episode of Dr. Who.

...Oh I saw that rather dreadful Peter Cushing movie from years ago but that's it!

So I am looking forward to seeing this on the Sci/Fi channel.

Paul Beardsley
2006-Jan-13, 10:14 PM
I'll be interested to hear what you all think of the episodes. My opinion is: great production values, but some of the stories are utter rubbish.

In The End of the World, for instance, there's a scene in which the Doctor has to walk along a catwalk to get to a switch. Now, for absolutely no reason, a series of large fans have been positioned so that they are blocking the route, even though there is loads of room to place them higher up, or the catwalk lower down. The Doctor's temporary girlfriend (who happens to be made of wood) holds down a lever to make the fans slow down - at risk to herself because that causes the temperature to rise. Even though the temperature rises enough to make the wooden girlfriend burst into flame, the Doctor does not get hot - and nor do his clothes. The Doctor could easily get past the fans by hanging off the edge of the catwalk, or even by crawling, but he insists on walking past them. When his wooden girlfriend burns to death, she is no longer able to hold down the lever so the fans speed up again. So, how does the Doctor get past the last few fans? Simple! He suddenly finds he can just walk past them!

Some fans have defended this scene on the grounds that it is "satire" - by which they mean a poor imitation of that chomper scene in Galaxy Quest (which actually was satire). The story itself was a poor copy of Douglas Adams' Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

In The Christmas Invasion, there's a scene involving a piece of fruit and a button on the side of a spaceship which has to be seen to be believed. Russel T. Davies, the producer and scriptwriter, is sticking two fingers up at people who believe stories should make sense on their own terms.

Paul Beardsley
2006-Jan-13, 10:17 PM
...Oh I saw that rather dreadful Peter Cushing movie from years ago but that's it!
Ooh, you lucky thing!

But which Peter Cushing movie do you mean? The one where the TARDIS landed on the planet Skaro and the crew encountered the Thals in the petrified forest and the Daleks in their city? Or the one in which the TARDIS landed in 22nd century London which had been invaded by Daleks?

Bad jcsd
2006-Jan-13, 10:25 PM
Yep some of the story lines are ridiculous (though thta's not necessarily a bad thing, I though the robot 'Anne droid' was very funny even if in satrical terms it was shooting fish in a barrel), but it's a tip of the hat to previous incarnations (remember the giant Bertie Bassett that nearly did it for Slyvester McCoy?)

R.A.F.
2006-Jan-13, 11:29 PM
But which Peter Cushing movie do you mean? The one where the TARDIS landed on the planet Skaro and the crew encountered the Thals in the petrified forest and the Daleks in their city? Or the one in which the TARDIS landed in 22nd century London which had been invaded by Daleks?

There were 2 of them?...sheese

It was the 22nd century London one...I think. It didn't leave a lasting impression on me.

Weird Dave
2006-Jan-13, 11:33 PM
I'd agree with with Paul Beardsley generally, although Dr Who in general is a concept which doesn't really lend itself to things that make sense. The whole time travel business is almost never dealt with directly (more like travelling to another place than another time); he always helps save the planet when he's there, but never deliberately travels in time to prevent non-alien disasters (such as warning the captain of the Titanic); if he's the only Time Lord left, who defends the rest of the galaxy against aliens (or, indeed, the rest of the Earth)?

The new series has thrown up a couple of excellent (IMHO) episodes though: The Empty Child (and its sequel The Doctor Dances); the first Dalek one (was it just called Dalek?) and the one where Rose causes a paradox, and they are trapped in the church. The Christmas special was just below average, except for near the end when (Spoiler: Highlight to read it) the Prime Minister orders a secret weapon to be used on the aliens, even though they were retreating. That suddenly gave a dark, morally interesting twist to the story. They should have expanded that aspect, and dropped the stupid Christmas stuff.

hewhocaves
2006-Jan-14, 05:08 AM
I dunno. I thought the episodes were, for the most part, excellent. I mean if you're going to sit there and nit pick out everything with massive rotating fans and what not, then you're going to be disappointed by a lot of the action /sci-fi drama. Remember, most everything can be solved with massive applications of the TARDIS and sonic screwdriver.

And, strangely enough, I watch doctor who for the character interaction and not for the particular bits of science. I particuarly like the way the Xmas invasion ended as it makes the show seem less like a carbon copy of the old series.

however, having said that, the whirring blades were pretty dopey, even from a scifi point of view. I'd go into some of the cooler bits but there are people out there who haven't seen it yet so I don't want to pass down any hints.

yes, the first dalek episode was called "Dalek" and it was wonderful. I took malevolent delight in posting on star wars fanboy websites about how the daleks can kick the empires' collective posteriors without breakign a sweat.

Paul Beardsley
2006-Jan-14, 08:35 AM
Just wanted to add, in the opinion I gave yesterday, please note the emphasis on some when I said "but some of the stories are utter rubbish." (Okay, so I didn't put any emphasis on the word at the time, but it's what I meant.)

IMO, most of the other stories worked well, and made sense, at least on their own terms. The first episode, the Victorian one, the wartime one (superb!), the paradox one - yeah, basically I agree with Weird Dave on these.

eburacum45
2006-Jan-14, 10:12 AM
Chinese reentry heatshields are made of wood. Wood is (or rather can be) ablative, that is it burns or vapourises in thin layers, and the outside of a wooden object can be scorched or ablate away while the inside is untouched and insulated.
Unless the good Doctor is made of asbestos that tree person (cool idea by the way) should have been able to withstand the heat better than him.

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-14, 10:43 AM
He's a Time Lord, he can do these things. ;)

Weird Dave
2006-Jan-14, 11:29 AM
Just wanted to add, in the opinion I gave yesterday, please note the emphasis on some when I said "but some of the stories are utter rubbish." (Okay, so I didn't put any emphasis on the word at the time, but it's what I meant.)

IMO, most of the other stories worked well, and made sense, at least on their own terms. The first episode, the Victorian one, the wartime one (superb!), the paradox one - yeah, basically I agree with Weird Dave on these.
Yes, the Gelph (spelling?) were pretty creepy. I also liked the way that many of the episodes connected together. It shows that the writers put some effort into making a series, rather than just a set of episodes. And I agree with hewhocaves about the characterisation.

Paul Beardsley
2006-Jan-14, 07:39 PM
And I agree with hewhocaves about the characterisation.
Me too. In fact the characterisation is probably the best it's ever been. Not just the Doctor and Rose, but also Rose's mother and boyfriend (although both these characters were overused - which is to say, they had nothing new to offer) and also Captain Jack.

My moan is with the people responsible (mainly Russel T. Davies, usually known as RTD) who seem to have the attitude of, "We've got the characterisation right; we don't have to worry about good storytelling," or, worse, "We've got the storytelling right too," which (in some cases) is emphatically not the case.

Anyway, some thoughts about those stories - WARNING, SPOILERS!

Rose. A lovely opening episode. It's not about the Doctor, it's about his companion-to-be, Rose, whose mundane life is disrupted forever by the appearance of the Doctor, who is doing whatever it is he does in the background. Contains good comedy, ranging from character-based to slapstick. Shame the Doctor gets the Earth's speed wrong - anyone can make a mistake, but this is supposed to be One Of Those Moments, so it should have been better researched.

The End of the World. A very disappointing second episode. Set 5,000,000,000 years in the future, we get not one, not two, but three present-day pop songs mentioned for no good reason - which to my mind undermines the setting. There's a joke about plastic surgery going too far, which is all well and good, but it's dragged on, and on, and on, and I hear the character in question is being brought back for the next series. There's the apalling aforementioned fans scene. And it's too obviously derivative of Douglas Adams without actually adding anything to his original idea.

The Unquiet Dead. A Victorian romp. The story doesn't stand up to scrutiny, but it doesn't have to, unless you're watching it a second time. There's a lovely, lovely moment when Rose, visiting the past for the first time, consciously makes a footprint in the snow. The Doctor meeting Charles Dickens, and telling him he's his greatest fan, is also delightful.

The Aliens of London/World War Three. Much criticised for the bodily-functions jokes, and the ludicrous missile-accessing sequence, this story nonetheless has much to recommend it. How is a caring mother supposed to react when a strange man takes her daughter away to distant and dangerous places? This is at the heart of the drama, and it's quite effective. There's also character development, as Rose's ineffectual boyfriend shows his heroic side.

Dalek. This is not a story. This is a showcase of what a Dalek can do - and as such it is entertaining. Only a fanboy writer would have characters say, "Ha ha, it can't follow us because it can't climb stairs!" The science is rubbish, but this doesn't really matter. What matters more is the supposed moral ambiguity, which is utterly unconvincing, and the emotional aspect, which needs to be laughed at in the most scathing manner possible. Even so, it's exciting, and worth a look.

The Long Game. It's set in the future on a space station with faulty air conditioning, and there's a monster. This is the sort of science fiction you would expect from someone who hasn't grasped what science fiction is. There are some amusing bits, but it's not very good.

Father's Day. The Paul Cornell episode. Rose's father died, alone, when she was young. She wants to go back in time to be with him when he dies so that he's not alone - and, incredibly, the Doctor goes along with her wishes. But she... well, you can probably guess what she does. And when she does it, all hell breaks loose.

This story makes no logical sense, but that's okay, because on its own terms it makes perfect sense, and it is very, very moving. This, coming from someone who hated Paul Cornell's books with a vengeance.

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. A World War II romp. Very atmospheric, very exciting, and at times rather scary. Oh, and laugh-aloud funny in places. There is some scope for nitpicking, but I find I am much less inclined to nitpick when other aspects of the story are strong enough and entertaining enough to draw my attention away from the flaws.

Boom Town. There is some amusing character interaction in this one, but otherwise it's rubbish. Have you ever had an argument about capital punishment? Well, chances are it was more interesting than the one that takes centre stage in this episode. What's galling is that the writer (RTD) seems to think this is confronting the Doctor with the consequences of his actions. It is not. We have another false moral dilemma which is conveniently dodged via a ludicrous deus ex machina cop-out.

Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways. For the first fifteen minutes or so, RTD indulges in his fondness for trash TV - Big Brother, What Not To Wear, and The Weakest Link. Some fans have described this as "clever satire", but I prefer Bad jcsd's remark that "in satrical terms it was shooting fish in a barrel". Once that drivel is dispensed with, the story becomes more interesting. By the time of the cliffhanger for the first part, I was thinking, "Wow, what an exciting situation! I hope it's resolved satisfactorily, and not with some lame cop-out." Well, the next episode ends with a cop-out, but it's not as lame as some.

The Christmas Invasion. I was all prepared for a delightfully silly Christmas celebration. Unfortunately it's timidly silly. The promised Killer Santas and Deadly Christmas Trees sound all well and good, but when they appear, they are not much cop and they are quickly dealt with. There's one neat idea concerning huge numbers of people congregating on rooftops, but apart from that it's just people standing around talking while a completely generic and uninteresting alien invasion (ho hum) takes place. Near the end we have the fruit scene, which makes about as much sense as the fans scene in The End of the World.

In conclusion, it's really nice to have Doctor Who back on TV. The production is great, as is the characterisation... and some of the stories are every bit as good as the very best ones from the old series. Rose having a job, a home, a mum and a boyfriend was a great innovation - it made her much more real as a character. But...

There is too much lazy scripting, and resolutions that make no sense. It's a great pity that none of the stories take place away from Earth - RTD has this idea that SF means purple moons and cloak-wearing villains called Zog, and that the moment we see an alien landscape we'll all switch off the TV. So he's playing it safe by keeping it tied to Earth, which means England, which means Rose's flat, with stories about alien invasions and aliens wishing to destroy Earth. And increasingly repetitive roles for Rose's mother and boyfriend.

hewhocaves
2006-Jan-17, 05:52 AM
Paul,

I have to agree that some of the stories don't hold up past the second or third viewing. I know that the first time around, I was so giddy before the show came on, that I probably wasn't a sound judge of story and what not. And by the middle of the series when the grim spectre of the grand arc became obvious I had another reason to go back and look through all the footage.

On the other hand a lot of the original series is great only with the rose colored glasses of nostalga and a lot of them aren't even that.

I think that what made Doctor Who so great is exactly the same thing that holds it up to such high scrutiny. With B5 and BSG on Scifi now theres some good, mature scifi out there. its one of the reasons enterprise died. Ten years ago, no one was aware that there was a market for this stuff on this level, so something like a reimagined Doctor wasn't going to get past the BBC execs. Now, its got a lot of stiff competition.

Series one was able to slide with slightly thinner plots because it's the first series and you can have the excuse that they're just introducing the show. Series 2 will have no such luxuries.

SPOLIERS ahead:

I thought you might enjoy a few thoughts on what I thought of the first seires:

Rose: excellent in that it set the mood - this will be a lite scifi show but heavy on character. plus everyone watching it was so excited that it was on, they could have just put up a still of Eccleston and Piper and be done with it.

End of the World: I liked the pop music jokes, the reason why it was all happening on one morning. I thought the fans were silly. I didn't mind the restaurant hints. Douglas Adams is british after all. But the whole episode was dwarfed in my mind by the start of the revelation.

Unquiet Dead: the producers showing they can produce vintage Doctor Who and not just gaudy special effects.

aliens / WW3: there are interesting sub arcs going on which start here and the continuity is something that i'll be curious to see whether it holds up.

dalek: it might be the best show of the series. Why does everyone fear the daleks? Oh yeah, THATS why. And yet, somehow the ending is exactly opposite what you'd expect. i actually felt conflicted.

long game: the producers showing that they can make 'filler' doctor who as well. erm.. thanks?

father's day: RTD waxes philisophical about pardoxes. meh. i'd rather rewathc dalek. at this point, the series was starting to feel a little too comfortable and i was starting to wonder if it needed something to 'jack' it up a notch.

empty child / doctor dances: *smile*. just this once.

boom town: erm.. this really left an impression. i can't even remember what it's about. oh yeah. now it's coming back. i was waiting for the two parter next week.

bad wolf / PotW: magic pixie dust. im sorry... all the wonderful, wonderful things in there were spoiled by magic pixie dust. was somoene channeling Paul McGann? there's this great scene with a window and that should have been the defining moment. but then again, regeneration episodes have always been a mixed bag.

Xmas Invasion: Tennant shows he's not eccleston. we see the dressing room. it's a fightin' series!

lol.. so that's that. i'm eagerly awaiting series two. i love that theyre bring back the cybermen. i hope they do a better job of fixing them up than in "silver nemesis". especially since they made mention of them in dalek.

one thing i do have to mention is that i like the way they are introducing the standard elements into the series bit by bit. rampant speculation has the master as the series three villian. maybe he has the answers we all seek ;-)

John

Paul Beardsley
2006-Jan-18, 09:56 PM
Paul,

I have to agree that some of the stories don't hold up past the second or third viewing. I know that the first time around, I was so giddy before the show came on, that I probably wasn't a sound judge of story and what not.
I know what you mean, although it only really affected me for the first episode. I just could not stop grinning; I even woke up the next morning with the grin. Not only was it actually back, it was entertaining too!

On the other hand a lot of the original series is great only with the rose colored glasses of nostalga and a lot of them aren't even that.
I have to agree with you there. I've long been a staunch advocate of The Web Planet, which is an awesome tale about an eerie other world inhabited by non-human lifeforms with their own alien outlook. I bought the DVD recently and forced my wife to sit through it. But by the time Episode 6 came on, I was half watching it, half playing Spider Solitaire!

OTOH, The Sensorites makes good viewing if you restrict yourself to one ep at a time and put yourself in the right mood.

Series one was able to slide with slightly thinner plots because it's the first series and you can have the excuse that they're just introducing the show. Series 2 will have no such luxuries.
I do hope you're right. The plot of The Christmas Invasion was paper-thin - I hope that was just coz it was Christmas, not because the problem is getting worse.

[SPOLIERS ahead:]

long game: the producers showing that they can make 'filler' doctor who as well. erm.. thanks?
LOL - nice one!

one thing i do have to mention is that i like the way they are introducing the standard elements into the series bit by bit. rampant speculation has the master as the series three villian. maybe he has the answers we all seek
I really don't like the way they keep bringing stuff back. To my mind, Doctor Who should be looking outwards; it shouldn't be mired in the past. We should be getting entire new worlds, amazing new races (not cartoon ETs who can't control their bodily functions), and unprecedented situations. Not more and more things from the past that might well have worked in the past but have no place now. I mean, K9 for heaven's sake? And please, no Master.

I'm also a bit concerned that the stories are gravitating towards the same old same old. In the books, the audios, the comics and many of the later episodes in the old TV series, the setting was almost always Earth, almost always England; the time period was almost always Victorian, a World War, near-present or near-future; the threat was all too often a time anomaly that threatened the universe, or a bunch of aliens who were intent on invading the Earth or destroying it. And rather a lot of stories featured animated corpses, often obviously inspired by Romero's Of The Dead movie series. Oh, and they all too often included references to the writer's favourite pop songs and TV programmes.

These things appear to be happening with the new series.

Oh well, maybe it will be good anyway. And maybe I'll even enjoy seeing K9 again! I'm certainly pleased to see Sarah Jane Smith again.

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-20, 03:37 AM
I'm certainly pleased to see Sarah Jane Smith again.

I perfered Leela. (http://wheelinspace.com/images/Companions/Leela.jpg)

ToSeek
2006-Jan-20, 04:53 PM
I'm certainly pleased to see Sarah Jane Smith again.

I perfered Leela. (http://wheelinspace.com/images/Companions/Leela.jpg)

Yes, but which one would you rather date? One wrong move with Leela, and you'd find your throat cut. ;)

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-21, 03:05 AM
Yes, but which one would you rather date? One wrong move with Leela, and you'd find your throat cut. ;)
I don't know, could be worth it. ;)