PDA

View Full Version : Where are...

damienpaul
2006-Jan-14, 12:12 AM
a lot of the "old guard" of UT - members that were around when I was a new member all those moons ago?

I see a lot of , to me, new faces (=new friends I hope), but alot of old friends seem to be missing.

VanderL
2006-Jan-14, 10:51 AM
a lot of the "old guard" of UT - members that were around when I was a new member all those moons ago?

I see a lot of , to me, new faces (=new friends I hope), but alot of old friends seem to be missing.

Funny you mention this, the same thing occurred to me too. Besides people moving to other interests or boards, I guess this board has become too large to "see" what is happening and who is where. Sort of like a little village growing into a city? Maybe everybody is only posting in the threads they seem most comfortable/interested in. And what seems different here compare to the UT board (I must confess I didn't cheack lately) is the thread where people could post pictures of themselves and talk like they are meeting eachother in a bar. The BAUT Cafe "What aBAUt you" maybe? Or the "Bar at the End of the Universe"?:D :dance:

Cheers.

ChromeStar
2006-Jan-14, 07:39 PM
I believe im one of those old faces too.

I have to agree i have seen little of those people i used to see on the UT boards.

I myself have been here very little - the whole village turning into city thing kinda. I guess this is propabliy why.

VanderL
2006-Jan-15, 08:43 PM
I believe im one of those old faces too.

I have to agree i have seen little of those people i used to see on the UT boards.

I myself have been here very little - the whole village turning into city thing kinda. I guess this is propabliy why.

Hi Chromestar,

You sure are one of those "old" faces, something else I noticed is the "merger" changed everything into a larger BA board; the UT part (which was unique, I think) has definitely changed and (to me at least) almost disappeared.

Cheers.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-15, 09:12 PM
May I ask just what it is that has changed? It might be good to reintroduce some of the things lost.

damienpaul
2006-Jan-16, 01:13 AM
To reintroduce many of the other aspects described would require reintroducing some of the personalities behind them - most of these personalities have moved on - some only lurk, not feeling comfortable to post, some were banned a while back. The rules and the increased sophistication would probably not permit such things (they were not necessarily silly).

I am, and I am sure VanderL and ChromeStar are not saying its a bad thing - its great to see the forum grow - but I do agree with VanderL - the unique UT part has largely been swept away or replaced, e.g. the old UT Rogues Gallery is buried/merged somewhere (pages upon pages of UT members).

Many of the "old guard" feel they have no place on the forum anymore, some, like me are reduced from active poster to lurker, some remain.

So, I do not think it is possible to reintroduce what was lost.

The board has evolved, and us "old guard" are just relics of the past

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-16, 01:25 AM
Oh, now don't say that! Is there anything at all that can be done to make you feel more welcome here? This is your forum as well, after all.

rahuldandekar
2006-Jan-16, 02:23 AM
The thing is, Canuck (I've spoken about this with many other UTers), UT used to be a cosy little town for many people. Now that, as Chrome says, it has turned into a city. I find most of my former friends on UT are rarely posting now-a-days.

It might be impossible or very hard to restore the UT-atmosphere to BAUT. I appreciate your wanting us to feel comfortable too, and I do (and will) try to post here frequently. :)

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-16, 02:26 AM
I can understand that. BAUT is a big leap from UT. But there must be something. Anything?

damienpaul
2006-Jan-16, 02:32 AM
Like I said, I mainly lurk now - its probably a case of trying to adapt to the new BAUT. To follow from ChromeStar's and Rahul's analogy - the town grew into a city and many old UTer's houses were replaced with factories - so they moved on, or they live on the outskirts - in the non-descript outer suburbs.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-16, 02:35 AM
Now that I think about it, the same sort of thing may have happened on the BABB a short time before the merger. It got too big. There was a certain feeling of, well, wrongness in the air. A bunch of people left. We had a big increase in spam, trolls, and temper flare-ups. The only mod at the time was the BA, and things were getting to be too much for him to handle -- the board just got out of hand. Ironically, the merger seems to have fixed the BABB problems. But the strife lasted for a few months, and it took a while to adapt.

So I know where you're coming from. I just wish there was a way to avoid it.

damienpaul
2006-Jan-16, 02:40 AM
I don't think there will be any strife from some ormer UTers (unless this thread is at all referred to as "strife") - they simply moved away. Others (like me) have fallen back into the shadows.

Similar, except without the strife - just quietness and absenteeism

Don't get me wrong, I think the merger is a prudent thing to do - sharing of resources and building a gigantic member and info base, but I know from my own perspective - I am not needed anymore, my "voice" not required.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-16, 02:41 AM
And that's what kills me. I hate to see people go.

damienpaul
2006-Jan-16, 02:46 AM
Much of their "work", threads started by them - that are now like Rogue's Gallery - buried and replaced (some presumably are deleted) - there is little reason for many of them to come back.

But, realistically, it does not matter, as new members come in all the time - new members with new ideas, opinions and fresh perspectives. I could contribute a whole lot more as my climatology interest also involves solar/lunar teleconnections with climate, as well as planetary climate. But not know where to "re"start.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-16, 02:55 AM
Well, I'm not really sure what to say, truth be told. I can't think of an answer. Maybe try starting a thread about those interests; you're bound to catch a few like-minded people.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-16, 03:39 PM
Rogue's Gallery (http://64.207.216.12/showthread.php?t=23120)

Fraser
2006-Jan-16, 07:15 PM
Hmm, this is an interesting problem, and it actually surprised me a bit. I know that the larger forum has scared a few forum regulars away, and that makes me a little sad, but nothing can ever stay the same. What we have now is an enormous community of people interested in space and astronomy. Any question, any topic gets dozens of responses within a few hours. Before the merge hours would sometimes go by without a single post. It felt like going into an empty nightclub. Now the joint is jumping, and I like that.

It's not necessary to stay on top of every thread, just get involved in the conversations you enjoy. Subscribe to the threads and that's all you need to look at.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-16, 11:16 PM
BAUT not only grants access to profiles and individuals history of posts, but also TWO methods of reaching individuals who either have "gone on Vacation" or due to normal situations where strife or hurt is communicated "have layed low" - using 1). the e-mail and/or 2).private message links are invaluable to healing or at least reaching out. As long as such private ways are voluntarily exposed by the recipient when they are solicited unethically, these two added features are GREAT. Haven't heard from someone lately? Send them an e-mail.

damienpaul
2006-Jan-17, 01:20 AM
Thank you ToSeek - its good to see its buried in there somewhere

Fraser, like I said, I do not consider it a bad thing, just missing some old friends

Fr. Wayne, yes I am well aware of those features - however, some come up as non contactable by either means

Champion_Munch
2006-Jan-17, 10:10 AM
Hang around Damien, we need more Aussies on the board. :D

with regards

mickal555
2006-Jan-17, 01:29 PM
Aussie Aussie Aussie!

ToSeek
2006-Jan-17, 03:10 PM
Oi! Oi! Oi!

damienpaul
2006-Jan-17, 03:41 PM
Hang around Damien, we need more Aussies on the board. :D

with regards

Oh, I plan to stay, just mainly lurking and stirring up the mods... :P

mickal555
2006-Jan-17, 09:47 PM
Oi! Oi! Oi!
:D :D :D

StarLab
2006-Jan-19, 05:06 AM
Yeah I lurk too (a bit) but I've felt useless since my contributions to UT (or the acknowledgment of receipt thereof) were all basically eliminated. It's hard finding a new place. It's like in Los Angeles, where you are forced to buy a new house and suddenly all the other houses are taken.

jimmy
2006-Jan-19, 05:11 AM
Hi VanderL, long time no see. I keep up with damo, raj, taup, chrome, and Chook. How you been? Good I hope. Cya.

damienpaul
2006-Jan-19, 05:18 AM
Starlab, looking at your post count, I can see why - I know you have contributed far more than that - far more than me!

When my contributions were not recognised in this way - I came close, but Fraser "restored" my account more or less - I wonder why this has not been done for you.

VanderL
2006-Jan-19, 04:26 PM
Hi VanderL, long time no see. I keep up with damo, raj, taup, chrome, and Chook. How you been? Good I hope. Cya.

Hey Jimmy,

Good to hear from you too! Are you keeping contact through this board with the others, or via e-mail? I'm good, still posting in the ATM and Space Exploration threads, but otherwise sharing Damo's sentiments about the old UT crowd.
Are you still working on the UT song :boohoo:(I still have it, and it still sounds great!) :D

Cheers.

damienpaul
2006-Jan-19, 11:41 PM
Hey Jimmy,

Good to hear from you too! Are you keeping contact through this board with the others, or via e-mail? I'm good, still posting in the ATM and Space Exploration threads, but otherwise sharing Damo's sentiments about the old UT crowd.
Are you still working on the UT song :boohoo:(I still have it, and it still sounds great!) :D

Cheers.

Thats one of the things that have been swept away it seems.

Many of the others are still together - I'll PM you (or anyone else who asks) where.

VanderL
2006-Jan-20, 12:53 PM
Hmm, this is an interesting problem, and it actually surprised me a bit. I know that the larger forum has scared a few forum regulars away, and that makes me a little sad, but nothing can ever stay the same. What we have now is an enormous community of people interested in space and astronomy. Any question, any topic gets dozens of responses within a few hours. Before the merge hours would sometimes go by without a single post. It felt like going into an empty nightclub. Now the joint is jumping, and I like that.

It's not necessary to stay on top of every thread, just get involved in the conversations you enjoy. Subscribe to the threads and that's all you need to look at.

I want to add that the general atmosphere in BAUT has changed over the last months, the new rules (keeping news items free of ATM ideas and keeping ATM ideas free of pseudoscience) can be interpreted as "put up or shut up", which means people really do "shut up" and swith to "lurk mode" or disappear completely.

Cheers.

damienpaul
2006-Jan-21, 07:46 PM

Like, I said -its good to see BAUT grow, however, it does feel like its out with the old and in with the new...

I do read my fav topics but literally do not feel comfortable posting in them at all.

Fraser
2006-Jan-22, 03:42 AM
So why don't you feel comfortable posting?

damienpaul
2006-Jan-22, 04:33 AM
So why don't you feel comfortable posting?

2 reasons, I even feel it writing this:

1. I feel overwhelmed, totally - that may be just something I am still in the process of adapting to.

2. As VenderL alluded to - uncertainty wrt the rules - I sometimes start a post and then wonder if it will be interpreted as being against the rules, then stop and resume lurking.

mickal555
2006-Jan-22, 12:27 PM
Just post- to hell with the rules ;)

:lol:

Fraser
2006-Jan-22, 03:33 PM
1. The feelings of being overwhelmed will go away once you get to know the BA folks. Find one topic that interests you, and join it. That's all I ask. Just one.

2. The rules on BAUT are less strict than they were on the UT forum. Certain topics can be discussed here that were totally forbidden on my old forum, so you should be less worried. You're seeing more bannings, etc, because we're a bigger target.

VanderL
2006-Jan-22, 05:30 PM
1. The feelings of being overwhelmed will go away once you get to know the BA folks. Find one topic that interests you, and join it. That's all I ask. Just one.

2. The rules on BAUT are less strict than they were on the UT forum. Certain topics can be discussed here that were totally forbidden on my old forum, so you should be less worried. You're seeing more bannings, etc, because we're a bigger target.

Hmm, I think it's not the range of topics that keeps posters out, but the fact that in the BAUT forum more "debaters" are active, people that argue "to the bone" as it were. They seem only interested in getting results (winning arguments) and less interested in having some fun, and sharing thoughts/facts.
I think this is what scares people away, there's a threshold for people to join discussions when immediately people throw specific jargon into their posts, or immediately question the poster's credentials. As a matter of fact it happened to me too, so I can understand people's reluctance to join. I guess you're right that being overwhelmed is a feeling that can go away, but it can be a real problem. Also, I think it is true that the BA forum was more about "hardcore science" than the old UT forum.

Cheers.

damienpaul
2006-Jan-22, 09:18 PM
Actually Fraser, there are about 10 topics of interest to me and I often lurk in those areas - very interesting reading and I have learnt heaps. I think VanderL hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that alot of the sharing of ideas manner has seemingly gone.

I have a few theories as well -gasp! but after seeing how other theories are treated, I am a little reluctant.

I'll check out the discussions and may suscribe to one of them - but cannot guarantee that I will post in it (as for the other's I spoke of earlier in this thread - I acannot do much in their regard).

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-22, 09:36 PM
Well, if you look carefully, only posters who do not respond to direct queries have their theories shot up. You wouldn't have that problem.

2006-Jan-22, 11:33 PM
There's plenty of room for speculation. Just label it such.

If, on the other hand, you are of a mind to advocate a theory because you are personally convinced it is supported by evidence, then expect the evidence to be requested, reviewed and critiqued.

damienpaul
2006-Jan-22, 11:55 PM

If, on the other hand, you are of a mind to advocate a theory because you are personally convinced it is supported by evidence, then expect the evidence to be requested, reviewed and critiqued.

Oh I have no probs with that at all - and in general, I like my theories etc to be dissected and such. The more critiquing the more refined the theory will become. I guess in that regard I am an anti-woowoo

Fraser
2006-Jan-23, 12:46 AM

I think that's a great point. If you've got a hunch and you want to toss it around, then I think you'll find a warm response. If you've got a serious theory, and your belief is bordering on faith, then you're going to have to present valid evidence.

damienpaul
2006-Jan-23, 01:34 AM
I think that's a great point. If you've got a hunch and you want to toss it around, then I think you'll find a warm response. If you've got a serious theory, and your belief is bordering on faith, then you're going to have to present valid evidence.

Please read my previous post (ie the one before this one) - I have no problem with providing evidence and accepting critique's for my theories - that is not a problem.

It really does not matter anyway, I am but 1 - the group I represent is about 10-15 compared to the great gains of the board.

I am afraid I just have the fear I will be cut down or ignored regardless of anything I post.

Fraser
2006-Jan-23, 03:20 AM
And I think it's just the opposite. Anything you write will be of interest to 10x as many people. When you used to have posts that didn't get any responses, now you'll be able to have in depth conversations on the exact topics that interest you.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-23, 03:23 AM
Give it a try, at least. I mean, look at this thread. I bet you started it without expecting much in the way of a response, right?

Two pages and counting...

damienpaul
2006-Jan-23, 04:08 AM
Give it a try, at least. I mean, look at this thread. I bet you started it without expecting much in the way of a response, right?

Two pages and counting...

Admittedly - that is a great surprise and lends itself to what Fraser said.

Okay, I'll give it a shot

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Jan-23, 06:25 AM
http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/froehlich/k015.gif

damienpaul
2006-Jan-24, 08:19 AM
well that experiment went flat as a pancake

Oh well, who cares

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-24, 11:54 PM
So not every thread is a hit. Mine go flat all the time. But many of mine don't. Keep slogging away.

damienpaul
2006-Jan-25, 12:41 PM
nah its cool, appreciate the help and apologies for wasting everyone's time

take care

weather1man
2006-Jan-27, 03:30 PM

Hey Damien, I just joined! Found this site through Taupeys profile at Firestorm. Well Just wanted to say I am a "new,"old" face.

StarLab
2006-Feb-01, 06:12 AM
Hehe well you're all welcome. Every time I join a new forum I always label bautforum.com as my home website. ;)

On the other hand, I myself feel the way Damien's felt, but I unlike him won't give up so easily. I...need something to do, really. I don't want to be a regular member. I am always on the lookout for a new moderator or administrator position, and I have attained both of these on quite a few forums. I used to be in a similar fix on the former UT forums and perhaps if permissible I could take up similar reigns here. Hopefully.

I miss the old village of UT, but I'm hoping there's some way I can help contribute to the grand monopoly city of BAUT.

damienpaul
2006-Feb-22, 10:41 AM
I have taken the advice of folks in this thread - and yes- information wise - this place is a treasure trove... people wise - also a treasure trove.

I'll take your advice and hang around - and post every now and then - thank you all for taking the time also to answer my concerns - further proof that this site does still have communities.

mickal555
2006-Feb-22, 12:59 PM
Yey :d

jkmccrann
2006-Feb-23, 09:20 AM
For that matter, where is cran? He seems to be a fairly absent Aussie of late?

mickal555
2006-Feb-23, 01:03 PM
I wanna know where fredo is...

Big Brother Dunk
2006-Mar-03, 12:31 AM
For what it's worth, here's my 2 cents.

Like others, I miss the smaller, more intimate community of the old UT. I admit I was a little intimidated by the larger, more active forum. I posted a bit, but it seemed somewhat cliquey and less friendly so I simply started lurking instead of posting.

I realized the new forum wasn't going to change because I wasn't comfortable with it, so if I wanted to enjoy the new digs, I was the one who needed to change.

MadConflux
2006-Mar-03, 09:35 AM
For what it's worth, here's my 2 cents.

Like others, I miss the smaller, more intimate community of the old UT. I admit I was a little intimidated by the larger, more active forum. I posted a bit, but it seemed somewhat cliquey and less friendly so I simply started lurking instead of posting.

I realized the new forum wasn't going to change because I wasn't comfortable with it, so if I wanted to enjoy the new digs, I was the one who needed to change.

You must live an extremely uncomfortable life.

antoniseb
2006-Mar-04, 11:17 PM
I want to add that the general atmosphere in BAUT has changed over the last months, the new rules (keeping news items free of ATM ideas and keeping ATM ideas free of pseudoscience) can be interpreted as "put up or shut up", which means people really do "shut up" and swith to "lurk mode" or disappear completely.

The switch also came with a radically increased number of people who were supporting the ATM side of some of these arguments, including a few who were abusing the system to get their offbeat ideas to seem more legitimate. Allowing that changes the forum from an educational resource to trash. Actually debating these alternatives with fairly strict guidelines is also better exposure for the more reasoned of these theories, and makes them rise above the kids with analogies ideas (i.e. The universe is like a bowl of cherries, and the SMBHs are like the pits, and so there must be giant trees somewhere, growing from these pits... (making up an example here, so as not to insult anyone in particular)).

suntrack2
2006-Mar-11, 05:01 PM
Antoniseb, you are true. the modus oprendi may differ in the baut, but in UT it was somewhat totally different, as Fraser said above that the rules in the new forum are little bit relaxed or dilute,

but you see there are different sizes and different styles of writing we can experience here, may be people like me are not that much acquainted with good writings but trying for the same, and one day will come when I find myself become a good writer in the space related issues.

since a vast responsibility as an officer upon me, the time is the problem to think better on space and sky related issues, no one is prompting me the topics, sometime i am also getting difficulty what exactly write here, there was a thought came in my mind to leave the forum, since my knowledge is scanty, just like an amateur i am writing here.

but you know my mind is saying no to leave people like you . please guide. and I have not hear from damien since a long time, the FUN- FUN- FUN in the offtopic in UT was really a marvelous topic by you, antoniseb, I am always remembering that topic, and start to laugh. and the damien's "rogues gallery was the decent one" in the then UT.

:)

Sunil ( my native language is marathi and not hindi)

hhEb09'1
2006-Mar-11, 05:16 PM
well that experiment went flat as a pancake

Oh well, who caresHey, the thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=661775#post661775) picked up again. Patience! :)

damienpaul
2006-Mar-12, 04:09 AM
Hey, the thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=661775#post661775) picked up again. Patience! :)

The pancake inflated? or did I forget to wait until it cooked? and was it a pancake at all?

suntrack2
2006-Mar-12, 05:14 PM
how this "pancake" tastes ! damien ? :)

sunil

damienpaul
2006-Mar-13, 08:59 AM
tastes like a bizzarre chicken - now Fraser, when are we having that party on your island?

suntrack2
2006-Mar-13, 04:43 PM
and I would like to participate with Logan for the chocolate party. :)

sunil

damienpaul
2006-Mar-15, 03:51 AM
But mind you, in regards to my original question - I am no longer concerned - I did catch up with many former UTers and well... there was an incident when I needed some support, instead they turned to the instigator of many a lie against me ... so, my answer in regards to where they are is "who cares?"

I am enjoying BAUT more and more

BUT I am still expecting my airline ticket, Fraser,...for the party on your island...

hhEb09'1
2006-Mar-15, 05:02 AM
I am enjoying BAUT more and moreand abaut time!

antoniseb
2006-May-08, 01:54 PM
I am still expecting my airline ticket, Fraser,...for the party on your island...

Was there a party on Fraser's island?

VanderL
2006-May-09, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by damienpaul
I am still expecting my airline ticket, Fraser,...for the party on your island...
Was there a party on Fraser's island?

Don't tell me you weren't invited!

Cheers.

damienpaul
2006-May-17, 10:31 PM
Don't tell me you weren't invited!

Cheers.

OMG Anton did not get a ticket to Fraser's Island party? I'm stunned, I'm shocked, I'm hungry....

VanderL
2006-May-18, 06:39 PM
OMG Anton did not get a ticket to Fraser's Island party? I'm stunned, I'm shocked, I'm hungry....

That's because you forgot to bring the chow!

Cheers.

P.S. How's your Japanese?

jimmy
2006-May-20, 04:06 AM
Hey Louis,
Unfortunately, I haven't worked on the song since we last talked about it, probably a year and a half ago. Yeah, it was great fun, and seemed to be going nicely, but then, well, you know.
I don't get here very often, cause it's too big and I don't really know many people here, but I'll try to be more active in the future.
Anyway, it's good to hear from you. Take care, my Friend!

suntrack2
2006-May-20, 07:56 AM
quote: jimmy. I don't get here very often, cause it's too big and I don't really know many people here, but I'll try to be more active in the future.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
really jimmy I am waiting for that. (you have said "future perfect tense" !)
you are requested to bring some masala popcorns (in another word "spicy popcorns for the MARS2 trip on mars's red island) :)

VanderL
2006-May-20, 07:18 PM
Hey Louis,
Unfortunately, I haven't worked on the song since we last talked about it, probably a year and a half ago. Yeah, it was great fun, and seemed to be going nicely, but then, well, you know.
I don't get here very often, cause it's too big and I don't really know many people here, but I'll try to be more active in the future.
Anyway, it's good to hear from you. Take care, my Friend!

Hi Jimmy,

Good to hear from you again, that's indeed a long time ago. Some good ideas don't get realised, but it was real fun to be "working" on the idea (you and Weaselbunny were most active). Which part of the BAUT forum are you most comfortable with (so I can "drop in" once in a while)?

Cheers.

jimmy
2006-May-21, 03:21 AM
Well, I suppose the Off Topic Babbling is the most I've visited, looking for the old UT posts. But, I'll be checking out the entife forum as time permits. BTW, Weasel is still on my email list, but is temporarily out of touch. I am in regular contact with Chook, Starlab, Spacemad, and a few others too.

suntrack2
2006-May-22, 04:41 PM
I was missing starlab's white aeroplane in their (UT-Avatar).
and spacemad's favourite soya milk. :)

How are u damien by the way. how is your job is running thereon, you have not posted a "new photo here" post-rogues gallery. !

sunil