PDA

View Full Version : Should we send humans to Mars ASAP?

Zap
2003-Feb-19, 12:54 AM
Found this article regarding the future of Mars exploration...
http://space.com/missionlaunches/mars_future_030218.html

"Sending humans to Mars will happen sooner rather than later if we find evidence for past or present life or even if we find strong evidence that organic compounds have been preserved in settings such as ancient lake beds or hydrothermal systems.' Arvidson concluded."

I think sending humans to the red planet is a fascinating idea. However, there are a few problems. 1)If there is indeed living life on Mars, and when going to the planet if we're not careful we could contaminate any organisms and ruin the chance of Martian biological studies forever. 2)Is it worth the effort and money? I mean, so far we've done great sending robotic spacecraft and all, its not as hard to do and doesn't contaminate the soil.

If we can make it so the first problem will not happen, then maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to send humans to the planet. Afterall, a little astronomy joy is what the world need after the terrible Columbia accident.

Russ
2003-Feb-19, 01:13 AM
Should we send humans to Mars?

Of course.

Glom
2003-Feb-19, 09:24 AM
ASAP.

informant
2003-Feb-19, 11:49 AM
Always the optimists... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif
Personally, I think the question is pointless. We aren't going to send humans to Mars anytime soon.
Our governments have shown that space is no longer a priority for them, and it can't be done without the $$.
And if proof is found that there are organic compounds in Mars, that will be a further argument against going to Mars, not for. We wouldn't want to upset our fellow fundamentalist creationist taxpayers, would we? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: informant on 2003-02-19 06:50 ]</font>