PDA

View Full Version : Brightness of starrysky on (earthfree) darkside of the moon

Denis12
2006-Jan-19, 11:27 PM
How bright and how many stars can you see on the nightside of the moon? I mean when earth is not visible,it will be brighter than the brightest nights here on earth. I have read and heard that the faintest stars you can see here on earth on the clearest nights is opproximately magnitude 6,5 ,am i right? And what are the faintest stars visible on the nightside of the moon? It must be a awesome beautifull star sky with thousands of stars. Denis.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-19, 11:36 PM
I think it would only be marginally better than a dark, moonless night on Earth due to the lack of an atmosphere.

PhantomWolf
2006-Jan-20, 12:52 AM
It's assumed by many that without an atmosphere that stars would be hugely brighter. However, while true to a small extent, our atmosphere is very transparent to visible light and so it doesn't really dim them greatly. The biggest thing you would notice is that they didn't twinkle, otherwise, they would really only look about the same as if you were standing in a dark area on Earth with a moonless night. That is still an amazingly impressive sight, but honestly, we don't have to go to the moon to see it. ;)