PDA

View Full Version : A hypothetical question re the deep space probes

Sticks
2006-Jan-21, 09:10 PM
Suppose we had a Cochrane who devises a form of FTL or warp drive (any ideas on that one?), would you use such a ship to try and intercept and return to Earth some of our deep space probes like Pioneer 10 and the Voyager probes, so they could go on display in the Smithsonian.

Bobunf
2006-Jan-21, 10:06 PM
Considering the horrendous job the Smithsonian does at displaying things, it might be better to turn it over to the British Museum--better and cheaper.

Bob

mantiss
2006-Jan-21, 10:41 PM
What would be the use anyways?

I would say their glory and achievements are better served and remembered as they are shooting onwards.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-22, 02:54 AM
Definitely not. They're out there where they belong. Perhaps someday they'll be a tourist destination, but for now they're mankind's first emissaries to the stars, and they should stay that way.

novaderrik
2006-Jan-22, 06:33 AM
come on, wouldn't it be fun to track down a Voyager probe, reprogram it an put it inside another ship that it controls, and send it back towards Earth looking for the Creator, and calling itself "V'ger"?

Sticks
2006-Jan-22, 06:43 AM
come on, wouldn't it be fun to track down a Voyager probe, reprogram it an put it inside another ship that it controls, and send it back towards Earth looking for the Creator, and calling itself "V'ger"?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I saw that one done before ;)

Definitely not. They're out there where they belong. Perhaps someday they'll be a tourist destination, but for now they're mankind's first emissaries to the stars, and they should stay that way

I take the point about them being our emissaries. BTW did they create a full mock up of the Voyager probes and of Pioneer 10 for the Smithsonian or some other museum? I did wonder if we could catch up with one, we could do some maintenance to extend their life, but then hey we would be out their anyway.

We can but dream

Anyone got a schematic for a warp engine? I seem to remember someone discussing warp drives for real, where you "warp" space and ride this warp like someone riding a wave on a surfboard. :think:

2006-Jan-22, 07:10 AM
BTW did they create a full mock up of the Voyager probes and of Pioneer 10 for the Smithsonian or some other museum?
The National Air and Space Museum: Voyager Spacecraft (http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/ceps/etp/voyager/voy_museum.html)

The Museum's spacecraft is a full-scale replica of Voyager, parts of which were used for pre-launch engineering tests. Pictured here in the Exploring The Planets gallery, Voyager is suspended above the Outer Planets display which highlights some of the discoveries made through data and imagery returned by Voyagers 1 and 2.
The National Air and Space Museum: Milestones of Flight: Pioneer 10 (http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/ceps/etp/tools/tools_probes.html)

The spacecraft displayed here is a reconstructed full-scale replica. It was assembled by TRW in 1977 from space parts provided by JPL, TRW, and Teledyne Energy Systems (Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators (RTG) casings). Some of those spare parts had been used for testing.

NEOWatcher
2006-Jan-23, 03:30 PM
I did wonder if we could catch up with one, we could do some maintenance to extend their life, but then hey we would be out their anyway.
That makes no sense, but, it would be the oldest man made object in deep(er) space. That means it would be worth looking at it for the long term effects of space.

We can but dream

Anyone got a schematic for a warp engine? I seem to remember someone discussing warp drives for real, where you "warp" space and ride this warp like someone riding a wave on a surfboard. :think:

Keep dreaming, and why don't you try some ST Science sites. I have seen some of that stuff before, but I don't know how much "for real" there is in it.

Grey
2006-Jan-23, 06:18 PM
Anyone got a schematic for a warp engine? I seem to remember someone discussing warp drives for real, where you "warp" space and ride this warp like someone riding a wave on a surfboard. :think:There's the Alcubierre warp drive, which works something like that. It's theoretically compatible with general relativity, so it's possible in principle. Unfortunately, it requires a big negative energy density to set up, so it's probably not actually possible in the real universe.