PDA

View Full Version : The music/The Group/The connection

DukePaul
2006-Jan-22, 09:53 PM
What this thread is about concerns musical connection to ones inner self, spirit, or whatever you call the inner you. Also this requires history with this music not just what you "like" right now. It may seem unfair to the younger members but at least a decade to this connection to this music is what I am asking for you to relate to this subject. Our tastes in music change, that's natural, but what album/CD of what group still connects to a deep part of you after all this time?
While working at home today I had Quadrophenia by The Who cranked up and after thirty years this piece still reaching down inside me. What about you?

novaderrik
2006-Jan-22, 10:10 PM
the album "...And Justice For All" by Metallica gets me down deep- especially "To Live is To Die". also, the "Load" and "Re-Load" albums from beginning to end just seem to make a deep emotional connection with me for a number of reasons.
"Freebird" and "Tuesday's Gone" by Lynyrd Skynyrd also get me on an emotional level.
"Dream On" by Aerosmith
any old Suicidal Tendencies up to "Lights, Camera, Revoltuion" is just awesome.
pretty much any old Bob Seger tunes make me zone out and get into the story he is telling.
then, of course, is old Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax (who i just experienced in a 1000 capacity club last saturday) Poison, Ratt, etc.. all for different reasons. buty i feel them all on some sort of an emotional level.

soylentgreen
2006-Jan-23, 01:52 AM
About 1977(when I was around 7) I developed a taste for the band America, particularly "Horse With No Name". In my memory, the song was constantly floating on the airwaves as I would take car trips with my folks in our old VW Beetle. As an only child, I had the backseat to myself...on night drives I would lay down and watch the sky rotate back and forth with each turn until I fell asleep.

30 years later, every cd of random driving music I make for my car has the America song on it. When I hear it, I can feel the vibration from the backseat of the Beetle, hear the distinct tin-cup sound of AM radio, see the night world before "24 Hour Everywheres".

I've grown into someone who loves the road(though not suv drivers!)and the thrill of the journey. For me, that song means "the getting away from everything" that hitting the road is.

Of course a few years later, Amii Stewart's "Knock On Wood" would become my roller skating anthem. Everytime I hear that classic on the radio(and it has to be on the radio) I get the tingle of buying my first* pair of bootskates all over again.

* for the record, I only had one pair of bootskates.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-23, 02:02 AM
Well, since I'm not old enough, I hope a 7 year connection is good enough...

Anyway, I'm going to say "Prospero's Speech" by Loreena McKennitt. Haunting and beautiful. You can listen here (http://www.canadianshakespeares.ca/multimedia/audio/m_a_4.cfm) free and legally. Click on the link just below the short blurb.

I first heard it in a very moving episode of the television show "Due South" (also highly recommended). I rediscovered it not long after the invasion of Afghanistan, completely by accident. Fitting, no?

Edit: Maybe I should explain why I think it's fitting. Afghanistan was the first war fought by Canada since Korea. In other words, a big, sad thing was happening. That's exactly what the song conjures in my mind.