PDA

View Full Version : Magma, I totally lost count of the bad science events.

beskeptical
2006-Jan-22, 10:40 PM
I know, why did I watch it? It was absolutely terrible. But when in the first scenes, they supposedly found an ammonite in the throat of an active volcano, I decided to see what other absolutely stupid science might be in the movie.

I lost count.

Giant eruptions with little or no precursor earthquakes.

Liquid magma pouring from every volcano, except Mt Fuji which they had a pyroclastic flow kill off the old scientist who waited there to be killed, BTW, for no apparent reason.

Thermal vents in the Marianas Trench, and correct me if I am wrong but we don't have a sub that can go that deep, do we? For those of you unfamiliar with thermal vents, they occur at spreading edges of plates, not sinking edges.

Volcanoes going off all over the world at once but no one in the US government thought that was anything to worry about.

Lava erupting from Old Faithful which then turned into the 'blob' coming at the people who were just standing up a small hill watching it. But when the nuclear bombs went off in the two big oceans, all the "pressure" in the system was released so the "blob" stopped and they all cheered and hugged because they somehow knew no more lava would now come.

It really should earn the worst science in a movie award for the year.

DukePaul
2006-Jan-22, 11:10 PM
I could not make it past the first few minutes. Where the "scientists" at the base of the volcano are being shaken by quake yet a few hundred feet away the other "scientists" are totally unaware of a quake.

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-23, 01:02 AM
Thermal vents in the Marianas Trench, and correct me if I am wrong but we don't have a sub that can go that deep, do we?

Yeah, we do, but it's in the Navy Museum now. Linky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathyscaphe_Trieste

soylentgreen
2006-Jan-23, 01:22 AM
I know, why did I watch it? It was absolutely terrible. But when in the first scenes, they supposedly found an ammonite in the throat of an active volcano, I decided to see what other absolutely stupid science might be in the movie.

Volcanoes going off all over the world at once but no one in the US government thought that was anything to worry about.

I'd have to say that in the midst of all the ludicrous baloney, this might just be the one believable thing they depicted. ;)

Jim
2006-Jan-23, 03:48 AM
I know, why did I watch it? It was absolutely terrible. ... absolutely stupid science ... It really should earn the worst science in a movie award for the year.

Okay, okay... The science was bad, the plot was contrived, the characters were stereotypes, the acting was so-so. But, can any movie featuring Amy Jo Johnson really be so bad?

(Well, yes, but it may not be the worst thing she has to live down. Ms. Johnson was the Pink Power Ranger in the OS.)

R.A.F.
2006-Jan-23, 11:44 AM
...except Mt Fuji which they had a pyroclastic flow kill off the old scientist who waited there to be killed, BTW, for no apparent reason.

This scene was the the only part of the movie that I saw...sounds like I was "lucky" to avoid the rest. :)

Doodler
2006-Jan-23, 02:26 PM
Wow, someone is out for A-unmentionable name omitted to avoid a thwapping-n's title as the worst scifi movie ever?

beskeptical
2006-Jan-23, 08:52 PM
I almost forgot, they also put in the most ludicrous claim that the Earth was exuding this sudden burst of internal pressure because of all the toxins we humans have put in the Earth to this point now needed to be expelled. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Swift
2006-Jan-23, 09:11 PM
I almost forgot, they also put in the most ludicrous claim that the Earth was exuding this sudden burst of internal pressure because of all the toxins we humans have put in the Earth to this point now needed to be expelled. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So why use nuclear bombs, you just need to give the Earth some Pepto. :razz:

Doodler
2006-Jan-23, 09:14 PM

Well, that did it... my brain just melted. Anyone have a squeegee? :wall:

Van Rijn
2006-Jan-24, 10:56 AM

Yep. I had the TV on in the background while I was on the computer and heard that bit. That was enough to turn the channel. I probably actually saw five minutes of the movie. Blech.

mike alexander
2006-Jan-26, 08:21 PM
beskeptical wrote:

I almost forgot, they also put in the most ludicrous claim that the Earth was exuding this sudden burst of internal pressure because of all the toxins we humans have put in the Earth to this point now needed to be expelled.

So the Earth got a nuclear high colonic?

beskeptical
2006-Jan-26, 09:04 PM
So the Earth got a nuclear high colonic?I guess if the nuclear material comes back out with the magma flow....um er I think nuff said. ;)

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-26, 09:10 PM
I have never heard of this movie.

Now that I have, I want my ignorance back.

I WANT MY IGNORANCE BACK, DARN YOU!

baric
2006-Jan-27, 12:40 AM
Is it worse than "The Core?"... Here's a summary of that bad movie from imdb.com:

For reasons unknown, the earth's inner core has stopped rotating, causing the planet's electromagnetic field to rapidly deteriorate. Instantly, life around the globe begins to change dramatically. In Boston, 32 people with pacemakers, all within a 10-block radius, suddenly drop dead. In San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge collapses, sending hundreds of people plunging to their deaths. In London's Trafalgar Square, flocks of pigeons lose their ability to navigate, flying into panicked crowds, slamming into windshields and causing drivers to lose control of their cars. And in Rome, as thousands of tourists watch helplessly, an electrical superstorm reduces the ancient Roman Colosseum to rubble. Scrambling to resolve the crisis, government and military officials call upon geophysicist Dr. Josh Keyes and a team of the world's most gifted scientists to travel into the earth's core in a subterranean craft piloted by "terranauts" Major Rebecca "Beck" Childs and Commander Robert Iverson. Their mission: Detonate a nuclear device that will reactivate the core and save the world from sure destruction.

mike alexander
2006-Jan-27, 12:49 AM
Wait a minute. I thought that after the magma got to the surface it was called lava.

beskeptical
2006-Jan-27, 09:17 AM
Wait a minute. I thought that after the magma got to the surface it was called lava.
With everything else they got wrong, you expect them to know that?

beskeptical
2006-Jan-27, 09:18 AM
Is it worse than "The Core?"... Here's a summary of that bad movie from imdb.com:

For reasons unknown, the earth's inner core has stopped rotating, causing the planet's electromagnetic field to rapidly deteriorate. Instantly, life around the globe begins to change dramatically. In Boston, 32 people with pacemakers, all within a 10-block radius, suddenly drop dead. In San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge collapses, sending hundreds of people plunging to their deaths. In London's Trafalgar Square, flocks of pigeons lose their ability to navigate, flying into panicked crowds, slamming into windshields and causing drivers to lose control of their cars. And in Rome, as thousands of tourists watch helplessly, an electrical superstorm reduces the ancient Roman Colosseum to rubble. Scrambling to resolve the crisis, government and military officials call upon geophysicist Dr. Josh Keyes and a team of the world's most gifted scientists to travel into the earth's core in a subterranean craft piloted by "terranauts" Major Rebecca "Beck" Childs and Commander Robert Iverson. Their mission: Detonate a nuclear device that will reactivate the core and save the world from sure destruction.
It may be a tie. The Core was probably longer so had more time to get more science wrong. I have not seen that movie. No way would I pay to see it. Is it on the telly yet?

baric
2006-Jan-27, 04:23 PM
It may be a tie. The Core was probably longer so had more time to get more science wrong. I have not seen that movie. No way would I pay to see it. Is it on the telly yet?

I dunno. I was so scarred when I was flipping through the channels and accidentally caught a glimpse of A********n, that I am very cautious about what I watch on TV nowadays.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-27, 08:45 PM
Y'know, the bad science didn't actually effect me that much on Armageddon. Though I find it an utterly ridiculous movie, and it isn't quite to my palate of taste, I have to say that the one thing that affects me the most about movies like Armageddon is thus:

When Bruce Willis dies, the audience shed tears.

When millions died of asteroids, the audience shed "oos" and "ahs"

Doodler
2006-Jan-27, 08:56 PM
Y'know, the bad science didn't actually effect me that much on Armageddon. Though I find it an utterly ridiculous movie, and it isn't quite to my palate of taste, I have to say that the one thing that affects me the most about movies like Armageddon is thus:

When Bruce Willis dies, the audience shed tears.

When millions died of asteroids, the audience shed "oos" and "ahs"

While not a movie of much greater stature, I do not recall many oohs and ahs when the asteroid hit in Deep Impact.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-27, 08:58 PM
While not a movie of much greater stature, I do not recall many oohs and ahs when the asteroid hit in Deep Impact.

Yeah, but that's because it was set up to be a "sad event", and not set up to be a special effects conglomerate, with a guy running his dog around to provide comedy relief.

Doodler
2006-Jan-27, 09:10 PM
Yeah, but that's because it was set up to be a "sad event", and not set up to be a special effects conglomerate, with a guy running his dog around to provide comedy relief.

My mistake, didn't realize you meant internally to Armagodisitoveryet.

randycat99
2006-Jan-28, 06:38 AM
Isn't Core the movie that starts out with them manual landing a space shuttle on-the-fly course correction into the L.A. water basin? :p

Yoshua
2006-Jan-31, 12:46 PM
Isn't Core the movie that starts out with them manual landing a space shuttle on-the-fly course correction into the L.A. water basin? :p

Yes it is.