PDA

View Full Version : Isn't Futurama just the best scifi ever?

Glom
2006-Jan-23, 05:14 PM
I'm watching a quadruple bill on Sky (well a double on SkyTwo followed by another double on SkyOne) and I've realised how good this series is. It combines the brilliance of Simpsons satire with the colourful futuristic artistry of Hanna Barbara and Looney Tunes. It has more action than anything Jerry Bruckheimer makes and more zaniness than the works of Seth MacFarlane. It is what every scifi show should aspire to be.

You might say that it is a cartoon and as such is too screwed up in science to be a model for mainstream scifi. However, I say that mainstream scifi has gotten science just as screwed up. The difference is that the writers of Futurama have an understanding of science beyond the latest edition of the Childrens' Science Encyclopedia and as such they know how to have fun with bad science, rather than mainstream scifi, which tries to pretend it's being serious about it.

Animation opens up so many more opportunities than live action. Augmenting live action with CGI only works if the animation is of sufficient quality to fit in the scene. That limits how far they can go. In an animated series, there is no such restriction since they can draw whatever they want. This means we can have characters like Zoidberg, Bender and Leela. And because the animation is not meant to look like the real thing, they can use CGI to create dramatic space chase sequences through the old people's buildings of the Near Death Star that don't break the bank for episodic television.

Maksutov
2006-Jan-23, 05:32 PM
Agreed.

For example, there's no take-charge, swash-buckling Captain out there that Zapp Brannigan doesn't parody (sigh).

Animations are wonderfully flexible, not only in space, but time, and other dimensions (Nah, I'm just messing with you kid. You're all right.: Flexo)

There is certainly hope here that the rumors of Futurama's return have substance.

Hooray!

Hey sexy mama...wanna kill all the humans?

Launch window
2006-Jan-23, 05:39 PM
pretty cool and damn funny

but it lacks the real science you see in other sci-fi, Simpsons was had a bit more bite for its comedy factor and other scifi shows have been more ground breaking for example : shows like Flashgordon, Red-dwarf, the original Trek.

Glom
2006-Jan-23, 05:42 PM
Line of the day:

DON BOT'S GOON: You tryin' to steal from the Don Bot?

BENDER: I'm trying, but he ain't makin' it easy.

pmcolt
2006-Jan-23, 05:48 PM
FARNSWORTH: These are the dark matter engines I invented. They allow my starship to travel between galaxies in mere hours.

CUBERT: That's impossible. You can't go faster than the speed of light.

FARNSWORTH: Of course not. That's why scientists increased the speed of light in 2208.

CUBERT: Also impossible.

FARNSWORTH: And what makes my engines truly remarkable is the afterburner, which delivers 200% fuel efficiency.

CUBERT: That's especially impossible.

FARNSWORTH: Not at all. It's very simple.

CUBERT: Then explain it.

FARNSWORTH: Now /that's/ impossible.

Just like so many courses I've sat through.

Lianachan
2006-Jan-23, 05:59 PM
After a horse wins a race in a "quantum finish":

"No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!" (Prof Farnsworth)

A favourite of mine, that one.

mike alexander
2006-Jan-23, 06:09 PM
Fry: Hey, as long as you don't make me smell Uranus. (laughs)

Leela: I don't get it.

Professor: I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all.

Fry: Oh. What's it called now?

Professor: Urectum. Here, let me locate it for you.

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-23, 11:49 PM

Mine too.

Another good one, I don't have the text, sadly, is where the Prof says that because the universe doesn't care that Fry is is own grandfather, that who are they to judge.

phunk
2006-Jan-24, 12:46 AM
Ooooh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr I'm my own grandpa!

OptimusShr
2006-Jan-24, 01:33 AM
There is certainly hope here that the rumors of Futurama's return have substance.

They have substance all right. It's been confirmed by Billy West. (http://digg.com/movies/Futurama_to_return_in_DVD_form_)

James_Digriz
2006-Jan-24, 01:37 AM
I'll never forget when Fry was kidnapped by Dr Stephen Hawking.

"Sieze him!"

pmcolt
2006-Jan-24, 01:56 AM
^ "Who said that?!"

^^ Oh, wow, new Futurama! I'm already setting my expectations unreasonably high!

Count Zero
2006-Jan-24, 05:49 AM
Sweet Manitee of Galilee!
The educational credentials for the Futurama writing staff is staggering for a TV show:

David X. Cohen has a Bachelor's Degree in physics from Harvard University and a Master's Degree in theoretical computer science from UC Berkeley all of which material he has now forgotten. A longtime writer for The Simpsons, he left to develop Futurama with Matt Groening, where he was the executive producer and head writer. He has won Emmy Awards for his work on both shows.

Ken Keeler has a PhD in applied mathematics from Harvard University and worked at Bell Labs before switching careers to write for David Letterman. After moving to Hollywood he wrote for both The Simpsons and Futurama and has won Writer's Guild and Emmy Awards.

Jeff Westbrook has a PhD in computer science from Princeton University. He was an associate professor of computer science at Yale University and also worked at AT&T Labs before writing for Futurama. He has been writing for The Simpsons since 2004.

Tog
2006-Jan-24, 09:18 AM

Heh, if this one wasn't mentioned, It was one of the two I had in mind. the other had Bender launched at nearly light speed from a torpedo tube. He began to take himself apart and throw the bits in the direction of travel to slow down. Not really funny, but correct (with unlimited parts);)

Count Zero
2006-Jan-24, 10:38 AM
Heh, if this one wasn't mentioned, It was one of the two I had in mind. the other had Bender launched at nearly light speed from a torpedo tube. He began to take himself apart and throw the bits in the direction of travel to slow down. Not really funny, but correct (with unlimited parts);)
A Bender line from the same episode ("Godfellas"): "Atomic bombs?! The unbelievers on my backside must've found my nuclear piles!"

novaderrik
2006-Jan-24, 11:50 AM
Futurama had a lot of oddball, goofy stuff in it that was so stupid and slapstickish that folks can't help but laugh at it.
but it also had a lot of stuff that went right over the heads of 99% of the people watching it- and as such, didn't seem funny to them.
and, as we know, 99% of the people have a short attention span and don't expect a cartoon to be educational.
so, they stopped watching, and Fox started moving it around from night to night, in the hopes that it would go away and Matt could focus on the Simpsons again. and away it went..
until the DVDs came out and flew off the store shelves by the millions- no doubt helped by the fact that the Cartoon network started showing it with relatively huge ratings for a basic cable tv network.
now that Fox doesn't really have any good shows coming out anymore, they are going to their fallback positions, and bringing back shows they've gotten rid of. it worked with Family Guy, and i hope it works for Futurama.

the weired thing about futurama, tho, is that even tho i can't think of a truly bad episode, the only episodes i really remember are the "softy" episodes- the one about Fry's dog waiting for him to come back, the one about his brother naming his son after his missing uncle, the one about Leela's parents, and, yes, even the one where they go back to Roswell and Fry becomes his own grandpa.
all of those episodes had every stupid thing that made the show so great, but also that extra something that really made me connect with the characters for some reason and realise that it wasn't just a silly cartoon set 1000 years in the future- it was a very well thought out and written show- probably the best on tv...

Tog
2006-Jan-24, 12:13 PM
...the weired thing about futurama, tho, is that even tho i can't think of a truly bad episode, the only episodes i really remember are the "softy" episodes- the one about Fry's dog waiting for him to come back,...
:sad:
That was far and away the saddest thing I have ever seen in a cartoon, anything Disney included. By sad I mean emotionally touching. Not sad as in, "Look, Scrappy Doo is back".

Count Zero
2006-Jan-24, 12:57 PM
That was far and away the saddest thing I have ever seen in a cartoon, anything Disney included.
Yeah, that one totally devastated me. I saw it when it aired. When the DVD set came out, I tried, but just couldn't watch more than a few minutes of it.

Aside from "Godfellas", "Roswell that Ends Well" and "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" (my three favorites), the ones that really resonate with me are the ones where Fry is trying to win Leela's heart.

iron4
2006-Jan-24, 12:57 PM

"Sieze him!"

I remember when Hawking was leaving the pizzeria, and the employee said: "Mr Hawking, you forget your pizza" And Stephen replied: "throw it to the garbage". Ah, what a bellylaughing

Jim
2006-Jan-24, 01:43 PM
Sweet Manitee of Galilee!
The educational credentials for the Futurama writing staff is staggering for a TV show: ... Bachelor's Degree in physics ... Master's Degree in theoretical computer science ... PhD in applied mathematics ... PhD in computer science ... associate professor of computer science ...

Okay, so that explains how they got the science right.

But, it doesn't explain how they could write a show that was so out-and-out funny. I mean, with those credentials, they would likely write jokes that only geeks and nerds would get, and I thought they were hilari...

... oh ...

Never mind.

Count Zero
2006-Jan-25, 03:28 AM
"Jurassic Bark" did give me one belly laugh, at the beginning - though I had to single-frame to see it. When they're in the history museum looking at the 20th century exhibit, the view pans past a glass display case with several irregular objects in it. The sign on the display says "Copralites of the New York Knicks". So first you've gotta be dedicated enough to have a recording of the show, then perceptive enough to spot something that flashes by, then knowledgable enough to get the joke.

Of course some jokes are beyond geeky, such as the number on Zapp Brannagin's ship, Nimbus: 1729 Everybody knows that this is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two positive cubes in two different ways, right?

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-25, 04:10 AM

"Sieze him!"

I love it how Hawking steals Fry's discovery of 'Fry Holes' and names them Hawking Holes.

One of my favorite of the favorite episode of Futurama is, I think it's called "Where No Fan Has Gone before". They got the entire main cast of the original Star Trek, except James Doohan, to supply their voices for their head-in-a-jar selves. The episode makes so many jabs at fanatical Trekkies, and what makes it so funny is some Trek fans are really like that.

If you pay good attention in the episode where Fry and Leela end up inside the LM on the moon, a plaque in the background, on the wall inside the LM, reads "Lunar module returned to location by the Historical Sticker Society." I burst out laughing when I spotted that, because they got it right: the top of the LM, the gray part, rocketed off the gold foiled base part, which is still on the moon. The gray part went up to lunar orbit, to offload the astronauts to the command module for the return home.

Ilya
2006-Jan-25, 04:24 AM
Of course some jokes are beyond geeky, such as the number on Zapp Brannagin's ship, Nimbus: 1729 Everybody knows that this is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two positive cubes in two different ways, right?
I did not - thank you for pointing this out! :)

In the episode where Fry has a fling with Amy (and ends up MUCH closer to her than he expected) did you notice two books on a shelf in the closet they used for their nookie? They are the same size, and one is labeled "P", the other "NP". How many people noticed and understood THAT ONE??

The number of Bender's apartment (which is ASCII for $) is positively obvious in comparison.

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-25, 04:43 AM
In the episode where Fry has a fling with Amy (and ends up MUCH closer to her than he expected) did you notice two books on a shelf in the closet they used for their nookie? They are the same size, and one is labeled "P", the other "NP". How many people noticed and understood THAT ONE??

The number of Bender's apartment (which is ASCII for $) is positively obvious in comparison.

Wow, there's a whole other level of nerdity in-jokes I wasn't aware of.

Anyone else spot Matt Groening's cameo as a head-in-a-jar at the Head Museum? One of the first episodes, IIRC.

HalfMooner
2006-Jan-25, 05:47 AM
That was far and away the saddest thing I have ever seen in a cartoon, anything Disney included. By sad I mean emotionally touching. Not sad as in, "Look, Scrappy Doo is back".

That touched me, too. Dog tragedy is among the saddest kinds.

Bender: Humor is overrated. Now, tragedy -- heh, heh, heh! -- that's funny!

OptimusShr
2006-Jan-25, 03:32 PM
Anyone else spot Matt Groening's cameo as a head-in-a-jar at the Head Museum? One of the first episodes, IIRC.

That was in the pilot. After Leela bursts into the museum slow it down or hit pause. He's the last head you see after they pan past Fry and Bender right before they pan back.

Lianachan
2006-Jan-25, 03:57 PM
Wow, there's a whole other level of nerdity in-jokes I wasn't aware of.

That's just scratching the surface! Are you aware of Futurama's own language, used to communicate jokes (mostly in-jokes) on signs, etc? Not so much a language, as an alien looking font.

oynaz
2006-Jan-25, 04:30 PM
@ ScepticJ

"They are the same size, and one is labeled "P", the other "NP". How many people noticed and understood THAT ONE??"

You have to explain that one to me, or I will be unable to sleep tonight.

Roy Batty
2006-Jan-25, 05:02 PM
@ ScepticJ

"They are the same size, and one is labeled "P", the other "NP". How many people noticed and understood THAT ONE??"

You have to explain that one to me, or I will be unable to sleep tonight.
P NP Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complexity_classes_P_and_NP) (It appears in the Simpsons too).

Good luck with the sleep now ;)

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-25, 05:09 PM
Another good one:

Leela: Hang on, Amy Wong? Of the Mars Wongs?
Amy: Look, we're not as rich as everybody says.
Leela: Uh-huh. What sorority do you belong to?
Amy: Kappa Kappa Wong.

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-25, 06:52 PM
"Wow, the jungles on Mars look just like the jungles on Earth!"-Fry

"Jungles, on Earth? Muhahahahaha!"-Prof

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I feared this would happen...Why, why, why didn't I break his legs?!"-Prof

HalfMooner
2006-Jan-25, 07:27 PM
Another thing I love about Futurama are the musical numbers. One was the Robot Devil singing in Robot Hell, quite a number, that one.

oynaz
2006-Jan-25, 08:34 PM
Thanks Sceptic.

Van Rijn
2006-Jan-26, 12:16 AM

I've seen anime that beats it easily, but that was a sad episode. It reminded me of the story of Hachiko. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachiko) About the only Futurama episode I didn't really care for.

I catch the episodes again every so often on Adult Swim. I really like how I can see an episode five times and pick out more jokes each time.

Ilya
2006-Jan-26, 01:17 AM
That's just scratching the surface! Are you aware of Futurama's own language, used to communicate jokes (mostly in-jokes) on signs, etc? Not so much a language, as an alien looking font.
Actually, Futurama has two "alien languages." The first one, introduced as early as pilot episode is simple substitution -- each symbol means one English character. For example, the M.A.S.H.-looking tent in "War Is The H Word" spells out "MEAT."

The second alien language, first introduced in "The Why Of Fry," is much more difficult to decipher. It uses same symbols, but only first letter of any given text is direct substitution. The second letter is coded not with "its" symbol, but with the symbol corresponding to the numeric difference in modulo-26 arithmetic between that letter and the preceding one. For example:

Pretend that caps are "alien symbols" substituting for lower-case letters. In that case "first language" encoding for the word "yummy" would be simply YUMMY. The "second language" encoding would be YVQZL. The way you get it is:

y codes to Y. y is letter 25, u is letter 21. In modulo-26, 21-25=22. So letter u is coded by the 22nd symbol, which is V.

m is letter 13. In modulo-26, 13-21=17. Third letter m is coded by 17th symbol, which is Q.

m is followed by another m. Subtracting any number from itself gives you 26, so the fourth letter is coded by Z. (BTW, in this scheme, any string of repeating letters will have Z in second and subsequent places.) Etc.

When Fry lands on the Nibblonians' home world in "The Why Of Fry," you see two obelisks engraved with alien alphabet. Each says "yummy tummy" -- one in the original script, the other in the new one. Naturally, they are intended as Rosetta Stone to give the clue for the second alien language.

I heard (although I can not see how it can be proven) that somebody deciphered first alien alphabet during first airing of pilot episode before the episode even ended. The second one took several months after airing "The Why Of Fry" to decipher.

James_Digriz
2006-Jan-26, 01:27 AM
Pretend that caps are "alien symbols" substituting for lower-case letters. In that case "first language" encoding for the word "yummy" would be simply YUMMY. The "second language" encoding would be YVQZL. The way you get it is:

y codes to Y. y is letter 25, u is letter 21. In modulo-26, 21-25=22. So letter u is coded by the 22nd symbol, which is V.

m is letter 13. In modulo-26, 13-21=17. Third letter m is coded by 17th symbol, which is Q.

m is followed by another m. Subtracting any number from itself gives you 26, so the fourth letter is coded by Z. (BTW, in this scheme, any string of repeating letters will have Z in second and subsequent places.) Etc.

STOP! STOP! My head hurts! No beautiful mind here.

Lianachan
2006-Jan-26, 01:43 AM
STOP! STOP! My head hurts! No beautiful mind here.

Omniglot have a handy guide (http://www.omniglot.com/writing/futurama.htm) to the straight substitution one.

I did know about the two languages, and have done for quite a while - wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurama_(TV_series)#Linguistics) even mentions them, briefly.

James_Digriz
2006-Jan-26, 02:24 AM
"Slurms has to party alllll night every night or he's fired!"

"Rock on!, .............I think im gonna go lie down."

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-26, 07:12 PM
"Since this is such a serious case of old, we'll have to try our strongest treatment. A soothing full body bath in searing hot tar. Sir, it's not neccesary or wise to be naked."-Heather, youth spa worker

"You sound just like my tennis instructor."-Prof. Farnsworth

"The tar blisters the age right out of the body in what top scientists suspect is a miracle."-Heather, same Heather as before

oynaz
2006-Jan-29, 12:20 AM
Off-topic:

@Van Rijn

"I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?"

- With a flamethrower.

James_Digriz
2006-Jan-29, 01:30 AM
"Since this is such a serious case of old, we'll have to try our strongest treatment. A soothing full body bath in searing hot tar. Sir, it's not neccesary or wise to be naked."-Heather, youth spa worker

"You sound just like my tennis instructor."-Prof. Farnsworth

"The tar blisters the age right out of the body in what top scientists suspect is a miracle."-Heather, same Heather as before

I see your sig has evolved once again as you collect more research inot the bullet question. :)

AGN Fuel
2006-Feb-01, 11:01 PM
In the episode where Fry has a fling with Amy (and ends up MUCH closer to her than he expected)....

This was on here last night and provided a few laugh out louds, but having once suffered from tinnitus, my favourite was when the tryst between Fry and Amy was disclosed at the team meeting:

Prof Farnsworth: "Do I hear wedding bells?"
Fry: "God, no!"
Farnsworth (looks slightly alarmed and covers ear with hand): "Oh, dear...."

peter eldergill
2006-Feb-04, 06:30 AM
I had a feeling that the joke was about NP complete problems, but it's been so long since I've heard the term, I didn't get the joke. I'm guessing the books being the same size indicates P = NP, which is still an unsolved problem? I've only very fuzzy memories (logic?) about this topic and haven't seen it for about 12 yrs or so

Where was it in the Simpsons?

Pete

Roy Batty
2006-Feb-04, 01:30 PM
Where was it in the Simpsons?

Pete
Treehouse of Horror VI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treehouse_of_Horror_VI)

peter eldergill
2006-Feb-05, 03:28 AM
Thanks, Roy, for the link. I knew that 1782^12 + 1841^12 = 1922^12 was false, but I didn't know why it was there
Although a false statement, it appears to be true when evaluated on a typical calculator with 10 digits of precision

Anyhow, I knew there were other equations and such, but really, thanks for the link to show me what they were!

Pete

Edit: and this is also from the episode/website :
Oh, there's so much I don't know about astrophysics. I wish I'd read that book by that wheelchair guy.

Roy Batty
2006-Feb-05, 02:52 PM
Here's one I laughed at the other day:

Fry & robot Lucy Liu on sofa repeating 'you're cute', 'no you're cute! over & over.

Prof.Farnsworth: 'Oh no! she's stuck in an infinate loop, and he's an idiot!
...Oh well, that's love for you' :)

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-06, 02:03 AM
You guys are killing me. I broke my collarbone at the MX track saturday and stuff like this does not help. Kills me to laugh:

Dr. Zoidberg: Now open your mouth and lets have a look at that brain.
[Fry opens his mouth]
Dr. Zoidberg: No, no, not that mouth.
Fry: I only have one.
Dr. Zoidberg: Really?
Fry: Uh... is there a human doctor around?
Dr. Zoidberg: Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!
Fry: Uh... brglgrglgrglgrrr!
Dr. Zoidberg: What? My mother was a saint! Get out!

That one hurt!

Futurama Quotes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149460/quotes)

Robert Andersson
2006-Feb-06, 08:56 AM
This one always cracks me up:

Bender: [at dinner table] Who want's dolphin?
Leela: Dolphin?! But dolphins are intelligent!
Bender: Not this one. He blew all his money on instant lottery tickets.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Feb-06, 05:27 PM
Pass me the blowhole!

SkepticJ
2006-Feb-06, 05:45 PM
"This is an outrage! I was going to eat that mummy."-Prof, after Fry eats a tiny, many millions of years old alien mummy.

OptimusShr
2006-Feb-06, 09:42 PM
Pass me the blowhole!

Give me the speech center of the brain.

Alasdhair
2006-Feb-06, 10:40 PM
"Here you will be treateed with dignity at all times. Now strip off and get onto the probulator"

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Feb-07, 12:11 AM
Zoidberg, sifting through the burnt remains of his home on the sea floor: "How could this happen?!?"

Hermes: "That's a very good question!"

Bender, picking up his still-lit cigar from the ruins: "Ah, there it is."

Hermes: "That just raises even further questions!"

OptimusShr
2006-Feb-07, 01:19 AM
Zoidberg, sifting through the burnt remains of his home on the sea floor: "How could this happen?!?"

Hermes: "That's a very good question!"

Bender, picking up his still-lit cigar from the ruins: "Ah, there it is."

Hermes: "That just raises even further questions!"

Oh god, I just have to wuote Fry from this same episode.

"Oh, why couldn't she be the other kind of mermaid, with the fish part on the top and the lady part on the bottom?"

one of my faves.

Roy Batty
2006-Feb-07, 01:27 AM
Oh god, I just have to wuote Fry from this same episode.

"Oh, why couldn't she be the other kind of mermaid, with the fish part on the top and the lady part on the bottom?"

one of my faves.
Stop it!:D:) now i'm hurting & my collar bone isn't even broken! (sorry James_Digriz, hope it heals fast!!).

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-07, 04:20 PM
Stop it!:D:) now i'm hurting & my collar bone isn't even broken! (sorry James_Digriz, hope it heals fast!!).

Thanks. Yeah, that quote I had in my post caught me unprepared.

Alasdhair
2006-Feb-07, 05:10 PM
"People, we didn't choose to be bureaucrats,
No, that's what almighty Jah made us.
We treat people like swine, and make 'em stand in line,
Even if nobody paid us."

"They said I probably shouldn't be a surgeon."
"They pooh-poohed my electric frankfurter."
"They said I probably shouldn't fly with just one eye."
"I am Bender, please insert girder."

scottmsg
2006-Feb-08, 04:59 PM
Another bit from "The Deep South"

Leela - "Depth at 45 hundred feet, 48 hundred, 50 hundred! 5000 feet!"

Farnsworth - "Dear Lord, that's over 150 atmospheres of pressure."

Fry - "How many atmospheres can this ship withstand?"

Farnsworth - "Well it's a spaceship, so I'd say anywhere between zero and one."

Lianachan
2006-Feb-10, 10:47 AM
Here (http://www.futurama-madhouse.com.ar/alien/index.shtml)'s a guide to all of the alien language signs, with "translations" and screen captures for them all.

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-10, 02:46 PM
Here (http://www.futurama-madhouse.com.ar/alien/index.shtml)'s a guide to all of the alien language signs, with "translations" and screen captures for them all.

Sweet. Another link to the hoard. Nice find.

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Feb-10, 04:09 PM
Sweet. Another link to the hoard.
It really is getting out of hand, isn't it.. :D
Not enough hours in the day.

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-10, 08:04 PM
It really is getting out of hand, isn't it.. :D
Not enough hours in the day.

I know. I still have a file filled with 120 or so I need to sort. You never know when you're going to need one of them!