PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to Improve the Site(s)

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-24, 12:57 AM
Well, I figure that we've mooched off of the BA and Fraser for too long without giving anything back. And I know the BA started a thread about improving the main site months ago. So why don't we compile a list of things we'd like to see happen with the forum, Bad Astronomy, and/or Universe Today, and then do them? Assuming Fraser and the BA are on board with the proposals. I'm sure a bunch of us know CSS and HTML. And I'm sure a bunch of us would happily help out around here.

So. What can we do to help? (I especially want to hear from the BA and Fraser here...)

I'll get the ball rolling...

1) Name the forum! Something catchy would be good.
2) Why not merge UT and BA completely? Get the content from both sites together in one place. And while we're at it, why not spruce it up a bit? Make the style of the site and the style of the forum match.
3) The store. Can we find a better service to use? Nothing wrong with the one now, but there's always better.
4) Start a webring or a network of affiliated sites. There are a lot of good sites out there (Clavius comes to mind) and we should point people to them whenever possible. That's the purpose of this whole endeavour, right?

Anything else?

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-24, 01:03 AM
I would like a good template selection for backgrounds...space stuff would be nice.:D

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-24, 01:16 AM
I would like members to get permission from a moderator to do polls where the tally is auto-mtically updated and where once you vote you cannot vote again. A simple template for marking your choice and pressing it in as counted would be cool and a very ultra-high-tech-space skin over it would be fabulous. Sorry but I don't have the expertise to help it happen.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-24, 01:18 AM
Polls are already implemented in the forum. When you start a new thread, scroll down and check the "Start a new poll" box.

sarongsong
2006-Jan-24, 08:13 PM
A quick way to go to the most previous message whenever a single response begins a new page. As it is now, we must scroll all the way down, click on the previous page # desired, then scroll to the bottom to read that previous post.

mickal555
2006-Jan-25, 09:02 AM
I got an idea for a forum name:

Turtles all the way down! :D

LurchGS
2006-Jan-26, 06:26 AM
A quick way to go to the most previous message whenever a single response begins a new page. As it is now, we must scroll all the way down, click on the previous page # desired, then scroll to the bottom to read that previous post.

Just to pick a nit - there is a page selector at the top of the page..so you have to scroll "all the way down" only once. But a 'go to the bottom of the page" button would be cool (it should take you to the last post, not the true bottom of the page, of course)

What I'd like to see is a way to get back to the same page of thread topics.. For instance, at present, this thread is on page two. After I post the reply I'm currently typing, I have to click on "Off Topic Babbling" - no problem - except it takes me back to page ONE of the thread topics. It should take me back to the page I left

Robert Andersson
2006-Jan-26, 10:21 AM
But a 'go to the bottom of the page" button would be cool (it should take you to the last post, not the true bottom of the page, of course)
Almost everyone already has a dedicated button on their keyboards for that: "End" (although that is the true bottom)