PDA

View Full Version : BSG Season II: Beautiful piano music

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Jan-24, 11:38 AM
I watched the 2nd episode of Season II this past weekend and I was absolutely floored by a piece of piano music that they played (in a characters apartment). Does anybody know where I might find this? Who performed it? Regards

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Jan-24, 06:45 PM
http://cdbaby.com/cd/celletti4

Metamorphosis 1, by Philip Glass

beautiful

ToSeek
2006-Jan-24, 07:01 PM
Glad we could help. ;)

soylentgreen
2006-Jan-24, 08:56 PM
Metamorphosis 1, by Philip Glass
beautiful

One of the most unique composers alive. Store music departments never now where to put this guy. He's been a great influence on many musicians, myself included. Though many will tell you, he is an acquired taste.

If you're not familiar with him and feel adventurous(or even if you are familiar), check out a film called KOYAANISQATSI. No actors, no dialogue, no traditional narrative...just Ron Fricke's incredible cinematography and Glass' entrancing music. Just watch it...you'll get the point.

Roy Batty
2006-Jan-24, 09:53 PM
And if you like that check out Powaqatsi. I have both on dvd, brilliant! Unfortunately I havn't had the chance to see Naqoyqatsi yet!
(I feel Godfrey Reggio deserves a mention for the direction & writing of the films too).

soylentgreen
2006-Jan-24, 11:00 PM
(I feel Godfrey Reggio deserves a mention for the direction & writing of the films too).

Absolutely. I meant to add more about him in the post, but didn't want to distract from Glass.

I managed to catch NAQOYQATSI at a limited(very limited!) run in Manhattan and it was great. A little more "slick" than I'd expected, visually speaking. Glass' music was spellbinding as usual, though the musical ideas(selections? tracks? themes?)were shorter than his usual...2 or 3 minutes as opposed to the longer themes for the KOYAANIS and POWAQ.

Also Roy, if you can check out ANIMA MUNDI, a short 30 minute film Reggio and Glass made for the World Wildlife Fund. It's very close to POWAQQATSI in terms of beauty and optimism. I've had to nurse along my old vhs from Miramar Video...ya' know, the guys who gave us all those Tangerine Dream/Grand Canyon and Mind's Eye computer animation videos. Though, those canuck's seem to have a dvd available for it :(

I think I'll watch my KOYAANISQATSI dvd tonight, come to think of it! :)

Roy Batty
2006-Jan-25, 12:44 AM
Thanks, I will check it out! (I actually occasionally donate to WWF :))
Keep hearing a Koyaanis excerpt on a 'Carbon Trust' advert over here in the UK. Just looking for my DVD's & realised they are lent out to someone :-(

Sorry Banquo, didn't want to hijack your thread. Not often I hear about Philip Glass though.

Oh btw Soylent, I've got the odd Tangerine dream/Babylon5 soundtrack (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030616.html) ;)

Charly
2006-Jan-25, 08:01 PM
I have got a lot of the B5 soundtracks, and the only problem with them is that you cant create a quality orchestra inside a computer (at least not 10 years ago on a budget).

Some of the purely electronic scores from the first season were very good.

Later scores seemed to experiment less, and sound more traditional sci-fi. While good, I just hate the artificial sound of the brass.

Roy Batty
2006-Jan-25, 08:33 PM
I thought Franke worked closely with the Berlin Philarmonic Film Orchestra though, at least for the main B5 themes?
I must admit I only bought cd's of the main series themes, not any of the individual episode ones.. seemed like they'd be too samey & I thought basically a money spinning ploy.

Charly
2006-Jan-25, 10:47 PM
I thought Franke worked closely with the Berlin Philarmonic Film Orchestra though, at least for the main B5 themes?
I must admit I only bought cd's of the main series themes, not any of the individual episode ones.. seemed like they'd be too samey & I thought basically a money spinning ploy.

On the making of on the season 1 dvd, if memory serves, show this consists of about 5 people with violins in a room.

Shame B5 didnt have the same budget as Trek. Its one of the few shows I can think of that had music outside of rge main theme worth buying. In 4 series of Trek, I cant recall any peice of music in any episode.

Apparently, BSG has even less money. So they just use a couple of drum kits....