PDA

View Full Version : uk viewers Hyperdrive not funny?

captain swoop
2006-Jan-24, 12:41 PM
Its sad, like Red Dwarf meets the office but without any Jokes!!

What were they thinking?

Sp1ke
2006-Jan-24, 03:38 PM
Yes, I agree Captain. I've only watched the first episode so far and it wasn't particularly brilliant. It had the deadpan delivery of the office but nowhere near as funny (too obvious) and it didn't have that spark that Red Dwarf had.

I did try to like it. Maybe it'll grow on me. I didn't particularly feel strongly about the characters - not like Lister and Rimmer who were very strong characters.

I'll probably stick with it and watch another couple of episodes. I think it's been a particularly poor time for TV lately - Lost fizzled out and I felt I'd just wasted a lot of time watching it and got nowhere; I started watching that other US Sci Fi thing (forgot the name - the hurricane, alien lights, water fetish etc.) but got irritated by it and stopped watching. At least Enterprise and the Voyager repeats are still on.

Roy Batty
2006-Jan-24, 05:24 PM
Seen both so far & not found it very funny overall, just a few good laughs. Not really what i'd expected considering some of the writers/actors past stuff.

Anyway I will persevere (think series is only 6 eps?). I judged Red Dwarf badly based on its 1st run :)

3rdvogon
2006-Jan-25, 11:33 AM
Seen both so far & not found it very funny overall, just a few good laughs. Not really what i'd expected considering some of the writers/actors past stuff.

Anyway I will persevere (think series is only 6 eps?). I judged Red Dwarf badly based on its 1st run :)

I am inclinded to agree with all the previous posters - the original concept seemed to offer some promise but the trailers before episode 1 started to raise some doubts in my mind.

Two things seem to strike me - Red Dwarf along with written version of Hitchiker's Guide both took Sci-Fi concepts and extrapolated them into realms of wonderful absurdity. Such as the Dispair Squid, Rimmer World, The Syrens, The idea of finite or infinite improbability devices or having a Resturant At the End of the Universe which you could visit as many times as you liked without meeting yourself. Who can forget that classic Adams line about flying "Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing it." For those of us who follow a lot of Sci-Fi and like to toy with some of the ideas it produces the two previous examples did to Sci-Fi what Dave Allen did to religion and the Church or what Bremner Bird and Fortune do to politics.

I feel Hyperdrive falls sadly short in this area - perhaps the writers feel that all the good comic twists on Sci-Fi ideas have already been done by Adams or Grant & Naylor - if so then why did they bother with this project.

My other concern is the characters in a dreary way they seem to mumble their way thought their scenes going nowhere in particular. Lister Rimmer and the Cat may have been clueless but they were clueless with style and passion unlike this crew. Maybe we will just have to wait and see if they find their feet in series 2 - if there is one.

Lianachan
2006-Jan-25, 01:43 PM
I saw the first episode. Dreadful, dreadful stuff. I liked the idea of the gun running through a list of disclaimers the first time the trigger is pulled, but found that even though it should have been funny - it just, well, wasn't.

captain swoop
2006-Jan-25, 02:04 PM
Lister and Rimmer were clueless because they were menial technicians who's job was to service the food dispensers. They weren't supposed to be running a ship. The crew of the HMS Camden Lock are supposed to be the representatives of the UK in space. Why would they choose the incompetents to do it?

Yes David Brent in the office was incompetent and the boss but he was only running a minor sales office at a paper suppliers. Also he 'believed' he was a a gift to management, his character had depth and back story like the members of the Red Dwarf crew.

These guys are just crude caricatures drawn from other, better shows. Dwarf and the Office were about the people, how they reacted to their situation and each other, they recognised the tragedy of their lives. Plus the jokes were funny!

captain swoop
2006-Jan-25, 02:06 PM
I saw the first episode. Dreadful, dreadful stuff. I liked the idea of the gun running through a list of disclaimers the first time the trigger is pulled, but found that even though it should have been funny - it just, well, wasn't.

Red Dwarf did the Alien Mutant thing running around the engine room bit far better several times over 'Polymorph' springs to mind. And the one where they found the re-arranging machine and got chased by the 'Chicken Curry' monster.

Lianachan
2006-Jan-25, 03:10 PM
Red Dwarf did the Alien Mutant thing running around the engine room bit far better several times over 'Polymorph' springs to mind. And the one where they found the re-arranging machine and got chased by the 'Chicken Curry' monster.
Although I realise I'm probably in a minority in this community, I cannot abide Red Dwarf. Having said that, I liked the first series quite a bit, but I found each new series to be progressively worse than the last.

Paul Beardsley
2006-Jan-25, 07:28 PM
Are you a bunch of philistines or what? Hyperdrive is brilliant! The comic timing, the concepts, the characters, and the IDEAS! If you can't appreciate it, you don't DESERVE quality comedy!

Ha ha, only kidding. Hyperdrive is unfunny rubbish.

Charly
2006-Jan-25, 07:52 PM
Hyperdrive is a huge disappointment. Nothing seems to work. Poor characters and some of it just isnt very funny.

Red Dwarf suffered a lot of this in the 7th and lesser extent 8th series. One or two funny lines does not constitute half an hours tv.

Funnily enough, I used to think the first 2 series of Red Dwarf were the best. As I got older, I now think tthey got better as the series got older (up to series 6).

In fact, take away the jokes, and some of the sci-fi plot lines are superior and enjoyable compared to the likes of Voyager and Enterprise.

I would advise any fan of Red Dwarf, or sci-fi in general to read the first 2 Red Dwarf books, which are both very funny and incredibly well written.

Swift
2006-Jan-25, 09:42 PM
For those of us on the left side of the pond (or elsewhere on the planet), could you tell me what Hyperdrive is? I gather it is a new TV program. Is it supposed to be funny?

Charly
2006-Jan-25, 10:30 PM
Its a comedy set on a ship in space - like Red Dwarf.
Only the crew are not dead.
And it not that funny.

Swift
2006-Jan-25, 11:02 PM
Its a comedy set on a ship in space - like Red Dwarf.
Only the crew are not dead.
And it not that funny.
Maybe if they killed them it get funnier? :shifty:
Thanks for the explanation

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Jan-26, 09:50 AM
Big disappointment.
Seemed it had potential, but it just isn't funny or exiting.

enginelessjohn
2006-Jan-26, 10:18 AM
Although I realise I'm probably in a minority in this community, I cannot abide Red Dwarf. Having said that, I liked the first series quite a bit, but I found each new series to be progressively worse than the last.

You're not alone. I never got into Red Dwarf at all, and Hyperdrive is deeply poor. There are much better things to watch just now.

Cheers
John

3rdvogon
2006-Jan-26, 12:51 PM
Well I tried to watch Hyperdrive (Swift - Note my Avitar) again last night - just to see if they were starting to "find their feet". I felt that this episode was possibly even worse than the second one. Oh yes! the instant camp fire was a nice little touch but really the plot needed more going for it than that - the idea of Cadet's Party was a pretty lame attempt at using an old "generation gap" joke. Bring back Kryten and his laundry I say. I actually dozed off watching it thanks to its plodding pace.

captain swoop
2006-Jan-26, 03:26 PM
I had doubts when i read the back plot. HMS Camden Lock (trendy part of london frequented by media types)
On a mission to encourage Alien civilisations to relocate their offices and industry to the Peterborough development zone.

Ho Hum.

3rdvogon
2006-Jan-26, 03:44 PM
I had doubts when i read the back plot. HMS Camden Lock (trendy part of london frequented by media types)
On a mission to encourage Alien civilisations to relocate their offices and industry to the Peterborough development zone.

Ho Hum.

Indeed - very Islington.

I'm now waiting to see what this new sitcom The IT Crowd produces - especially as I am the head of the IT Dept at my company. Is it going to be an intelligent non-cartoon exploitation of the Dilbert concept or just a standard sitcom in a different setting.

MrClean
2006-Jan-26, 03:55 PM
So if you had a choice between watching American Idol or Hyperdrive would you Eat your own eyeballs?

kzb
2006-Jan-26, 07:09 PM
It inevitably invites comparison with Red Dwarf. You're expecting something of a similar standard and inevitably are disappointed.

I think someone else mentioned the mumbling performances. That's what I think kills it more than anything, there's no strong comic characters, and waht there are are poorly performed. No-one in the cast has got the comic star quality to pull it off.

The special effects are good, especially for the BBC ! What a pity those skills couldn't be used for a serious Sci-Fi series.

captain swoop
2006-Jan-27, 05:04 PM
I think the mumbling is an attempt at the 'fly on the wall' style of the office but it fails.

IT Crowd involves Jonathan Morris (of Day Today, Brass Eye and Nathan Barley fame) so it sohuld be good

Paul Beardsley
2006-Jan-27, 05:30 PM
IT Crowd involves Jonathan Morris (of Day Today, Brass Eye and Nathan Barley fame) so it sohuld be good
I take it you mean Chris Morris. I'm inclined to watch everything he's involved in, as it tends to be good.

Charly
2006-Jan-27, 10:12 PM
I take it you mean Chris Morris. I'm inclined to watch everything he's involved in, as it tends to be good.

Man, it looks awful!!!!

Paul Beardsley
2006-Jan-28, 10:51 AM
Man, it looks awful!!!!
What looks awful? IT Crowd or Hyperdrive?

parallaxicality
2006-Jan-28, 07:05 PM
Absolutely awful. It may be in space, but it sure ain't Spaced.

Charly
2006-Jan-29, 03:50 PM
What looks awful? IT Crowd or Hyperdrive?

IT crowd looks awful

Fortis
2006-Jan-29, 04:58 PM

Based on the first episode of Red Dwarf, I also thought it was pretty weak.

The first thought that went through my mind when I heard about Hyperdrive was "I have a bad feeling about this..."

captain swoop
2006-Jan-30, 10:31 AM
Of course I meant Chris Morris. He is appearing as the boss of the company.

If anything the last episode of Hyperdrive (saw the re run last night was worse than the first!

They appear to have run out of ideas already.

gwiz
2006-Jan-30, 11:23 AM
Caught it for the first time last night, and tend to agree with the majority view here, it's underwhelming.

captain swoop
2006-Jan-31, 12:13 PM
On a good note the new series of 'The Mighty Boosh' started on BBC2 last night.

Sp1ke
2006-Feb-02, 01:05 AM
I was hoping the IT crowd was good but the clips so far don't impress me and they're supposed to be the good bits. I think, 3rdvogon, that it's probably going to be just another sitcom, not a Dilbert for 2006...

But now the Boosh - brilliant! Loved it on Radio 4 then even better when it went onto TV. And I'm off to see them live tomorrow (no, it's today now).

How come all the best TV comes from the radio? e.g. The Mighty Boosh, League of Gentlemen, Hitchhiker's Guide (oops no, that was much better on the radio)

Paul Beardsley
2006-Feb-02, 07:10 AM
But now the Boosh - brilliant! Loved it on Radio 4 then even better when it went onto TV. And I'm off to see them live tomorrow (no, it's today now).
I'll be interested in what you think. My wife and I are off to see it at Portsmouth Guildhall next Tuesday.

captain swoop
2006-Feb-03, 11:17 AM
I thiink radio can get away with being more experimental. Day Today, Alan Partridge and Dead Ringers all came from Radio 4

And there are loads of good comedies on Radio 4 that don't get on to the TV. Most seem to come from the Late comedy slot rather than the 6.30 which tends to be panel games or sketch shows.