PDA

View Full Version : Sea Quest

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-25, 05:23 AM
I quite enjoyed this series, actually it was four, when it aired. There was the original Sea Quest, then either a second season or a new series starting off from the first, not quite sure; with most of the cast returning and a new, look-a-like Sea Quest replacing the old one, which was destroyed. Then it got silly at the end of this season(but there was silly once and a while in the first and second season all the way through, IIRC.), aliens abducted the Sea Quest, taking them to another planet, and they didn't come back until the year 2032, when the next series is.
2032 was pretty good, as far as these kinds of shows go, but I think they were just milking the cow.
I never watched it, but I think there was a Sea Quest 2048.
As a whole, in all what I watched from the different series, the acting was good to great. Plots ranged from plausible to totally stupid(Neptune showed himself in one episode, yeah...) The core of the show was a great idea, it's just too bad they couldn't have made it totally hard science, which would be a neat change from the normal sci-fi. It was the stuff introduced in individual episodes, like humanoid aliens, Neptune, haunted ancient Greek war head gear etc. that ruined this.
The technology was pretty realistic, not counting the tricorder rip-offs seen once and a while. They could detect life signs from km away.....how? But other than odd stuff like that here and there the technology was hard, if too optimistic on the time scale.

Anybody else used to watch this show?

Swift
2006-Jan-25, 03:29 PM
I did and I agree with your assessment. It was very good to start, and then went down hill. They lost me with the aliens and such.

By the way Skeptic J, the way I've heard the quote in your signature is "Guns don't kill people, bullets do: guns just make them go very fast". ;)

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-25, 07:01 PM
If you look for them, the series had harder to spot injokes, such as in the series/season premier of the new Sea Quest, there's a Ronald Reagan Memorial Laser Space Base.

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-25, 07:04 PM
By the way Skeptic J, the way I've heard the quote in your signature is "Guns don't kill people, bullets do: guns just make them go very fast". ;)

I had it as that, but I changed it after thinking about it a bit more. Guns don't make bullets go fast, bullets make theirself go fast. Guns just set the bullet's blasting cap off and guide them in the right direction. Most guns, as you know, give a spin to the bullet.

James_Digriz
2006-Jan-26, 01:30 AM
I had it as that, but I changed it after thinking about it a bit more. Guns don't make bullets go fast, bullets make theirself go fast.

The bullets can't do anything without the gun setting them off first though, so the gun does make the bullets go fast. Without the gun, no bullets going fast.

Captain Kidd
2006-Jan-26, 02:52 AM
So guns just provide the means for the bullets to go fast in a specific direction at a specific time. :)

I watched SeaQuest DSV and then 2032 too. (Don't remember the 2048.)

Season 1 was pretty good. I've always enjoyed Roy Schnider for some reason. Then was it season 2 that Michael Ironside became the captain?

Season 1 was the high point unfortunately. I think they ran out of story ideas. There was only so much to do under the sea I guess. 2032 was just horrid with Neptune and other such crud. Didn't the aliens take the SeaQuest because it was more advanced than what they had (regardless of the fact that they had interstellar travel)?

I liked the in-ship subway a-la turbolifts and the Whiskers were a very neat idea. Oh yeah, cows were banned due to their high level of methane production. Real hamburgers were black market luxury items. :D

Wow, amazing how much I remember of that show... hmm now why can't I remember my classes from then equally well. :)

Ilya
2006-Jan-26, 03:34 AM
The bullets can't do anything without the gun setting them off first though, so the gun does make the bullets go fast. Without the gun, no bullets going fast.
I disagree. Throw some bullets into a bonfire and see what happens. They won't go as fast as out of a gun, but they will go.

Captain Kidd
2006-Jan-26, 12:19 PM
No, that's the casing that goes flying off. The bullet slug will stay where it is.

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-26, 06:59 PM
I watched SeaQuest DSV and then 2032 too. (Don't remember the 2048.)

Season 1 was pretty good. I've always enjoyed Roy Schnider for some reason. Then was it season 2 that Michael Ironside became the captain?

Season 1 was the high point unfortunately. I think they ran out of story ideas. There was only so much to do under the sea I guess. 2032 was just horrid with Neptune and other such crud. Didn't the aliens take the SeaQuest because it was more advanced than what they had (regardless of the fact that they had interstellar travel)?

I liked the in-ship subway a-la turbolifts and the Whiskers were a very neat idea. Oh yeah, cows were banned due to their high level of methane production. Real hamburgers were black market luxury items. :D

Wow, amazing how much I remember of that show... hmm now why can't I remember my classes from then equally well. :)

I think there were two seasons of DSV, which had Roy Schnider as the captain, and 2032 had Michael Ironside as the the captain.

The rationalisation for that was the spacecraft wasn't built by them, it was stolen. They didn't know how to make them. Still a stupid thing to have in a series like Sea Quest though. If they can't come up with ideas, end the series on a high note. When, when will producers learn this?

IIRC, something like Whiskers has been worked on in real life since the series aired. If they were inspired by the show, I don't know. The Star Trek bridge layout was studied by the US military as a way to lay out a command room. Great ideas come from fiction.
I liked the aqua tubes that Darwin(the dolphin, not the Naturalist) used to swim around the ship. And Darwin's SCUBA device. And the G.E.L.F.s(a.k.a. Daggers)

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-26, 08:29 PM
No, that's the casing that goes flying off. The bullet slug will stay where it is.

Not true, unless, of course, only one side of a bomb's casing flies away in tiny, tiny bits when the bomb explodes. Sure, the slug masses more than the casing, but it'll still shoot away.

James_Digriz
2006-Jan-27, 02:54 AM
I disagree. Throw some bullets into a bonfire and see what happens. They won't go as fast as out of a gun, but they will go.

Yes, but I stand by my comment when taken in context to the original assertion which was that bullets make theirself go fast and the gun has nothing to do with it.

SkepticJ even provided the answer to this conundrum in the very same statement that started this whole debate: "Guns just set the bullet's blasting cap off." Therefore, guns do indeed make bullets go fast.

Anyways, a bullet cannot hit a running man. By the time the bullet reaches him he has already moved on and the bullet has to cover that extra distance. Each time the bullet travels foward, it uses up a finite length of time, no matter how small. You cannot divide and subdivide a fraction to produce zero, thus the series is infinite. An infinite series of finite time periods equals an infinite time so the bullet never hits our running man. I sleep very well at night.

Inferno
2006-Jan-27, 05:34 AM
Never got into it. Probably because it appeared targeted at an age group below me. Still, it wasn't bad, just a little dull. Gave up when they changed the crew around. Roy was the best thing about the show!

Incidentally did you know that Jonathan Brandis killed himself a few years ago?

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-27, 07:05 AM

No, I did not. Weird.

James_Digriz
2006-Jan-27, 09:01 PM

Very sad. I wonder why.

Doodler
2006-Jan-27, 09:08 PM
Never got into it. Probably because it appeared targeted at an age group below me. Still, it wasn't bad, just a little dull. Gave up when they changed the crew around. Roy was the best thing about the show!

I did, rather tragic. Seemed a decent guy.

As far as my own opinions, the ship itself was impressive, the technology associated with it was not overly unbelievable. The alien storyline was nauseating, but I thought Micheal Ironside's segment was a pretty impressive rebound from the alien stupidity.

As actors, I like both Roy Schneider and Micheal Ironside. They're both very good character actors, and they managed to present two very different captains who were believable enough characters in their own respects. Schneider seemed to be channeling Heywood Floyd from 2010 and Ironside channeling Jester from Top Gun, but I thought they made it work rather well.

The rest of the cast made for a pretty balanced ensemble, so as a scifi series goes, I'll take the crap episodes with the good.

Swift
2006-Jan-30, 03:01 AM
And given all this, one has to wonder why the Sci Fi channel does not re-show Sea Quest (or just about anything else), rather than their moronic made-for-SF movies.

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-30, 03:52 AM
The alien storyline was nauseating,

On the subject of that, wasn't Mark Hamill in at least one of those episodes? Wow, I'm glad I'm not him, to be so type cast. What other work has Hamill gotten other than being the voice of the Joker from the different Batman series(which are great by the way, not just kid's shows) a cameo in the Wing Commander video game?

And on the subject of Sea Quest, I loved the Stinger sub. I want one!

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-30, 03:55 AM
And given all this, one has to wonder why the Sci Fi channel does not re-show Sea Quest (or just about anything else), rather than their moronic made-for-SF movies.

They did years ago, around 1998-2000ish. That was about the only thing that made me watch that channel. I don't, but once in a very long while, now.
Why not write to them about getting them back on?

Gemini
2006-Jan-30, 11:16 PM
They did years ago, around 1998-2000ish. That was about the only thing that made me watch that channel. I don't, but once in a very long while, now.
Why not write to them about getting them back on?

They did a few weeks ago.

James_Digriz
2006-Jan-31, 02:54 AM

A word to the wise. Do not buy the Dune DVD series. At least I only paid 10 bucks. (Note to self: There's a reason it was 10 bucks when the other one's are 40 to 80.)

On the subject of that, wasn't Mark Hamill in at least one of those episodes? Wow, I'm glad I'm not him, to be so type cast. What other work has Hamill gotten other than being the voice of the Joker from the different Batman series(which are great by the way, not just kid's shows) a cameo in the Wing Commander video game?

He played the voice of the mayor of Pejitie in Miyazaki's Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind Disney release.

Grand_Lunar
2006-Jan-31, 04:23 AM
I remember Sea Quest when it was new. I like how Robert Ballard would provide a bit of info about the sea at the end credits on most episodes.

I don't think there was a '2048'. Just the two seasons of 'Sea Quest DSV' and then 'Sea Quest 2032'.

I thought Roy Schieder was great. Micheal Ironside, so-so.

It was nice of Sci-Fi to air a few episodes some months ago. Forgot when exactly. I do think it was part of the promotion for the DVD release.

BTW, has anyone talked about how plausible a sub like Sea Quest would be?

SkepticJ
2006-Jan-31, 06:44 PM
BTW, has anyone talked about how plausible a sub like Sea Quest would be?

It was supposed to be nuclear powered, nuclear subs have existed since the 1950s. The sub's skin was supposed to be living, I think: it was referred to as "bio-genetic" in at least one episode. There's nothing precluding genetically engineering an organism to act as a sub's self repairing skin. Just too optimistic in the time frame when it will happen. I'm not sure how the Sea Quest was supposed to propel itself, be it via turbines or a magnetohydrodynamic drive, both are possible however.
I'd say it's 100% plausible, someday.

Inferno
2006-Jan-31, 11:12 PM
Yeah, the year it was set in was a bit of a stretch. 2018 or something wasn't it? Considering we still haven't got those flying cars they've been promising us since the 50s, I don't think we're going to have undersea communities by then. (or talking dolphins for that matter).

Charly
2006-Feb-08, 12:53 AM
A word to the wise. Do not buy the Dune DVD series. At least I only paid 10 bucks. (Note to self: There's a reason it was 10 bucks when the other one's are 40 to 80.)

Its okay, all things considered.

In many ways superior to the film.

Doodler
2006-Feb-10, 02:09 AM

???

I've got the special edition version, it blows the original out of the water.

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-10, 02:57 PM
???

I've got the special edition version, it blows the original out of the water.

Im talking about the Sci-Fi miniseries.