PDA

View Full Version : Two Stars Kicked Out of the Milky Way

Fraser
2006-Jan-27, 05:24 AM
SUMMARY: Two stars have been spotted streaking out of the Milky Way, never to return. These stars are part of a new class of objects which astronomers have dubbed "exiles". These are stars which were once part of a binary system that strayed too close to the supermassive black hole at the heart of the Milky Way. The pair is torn apart, and the exiled star is fired off on a trajectory that will take it out of our galaxy. These events occur about once every 100,000 years.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/milkyway_exile.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

galacsi
2006-Jan-27, 11:18 AM
Imagine a civilization upon a planet circling one of these stars . What a view they would have of the galaxy !

tflahive@email.com
2006-Jan-27, 06:20 PM
What a view "we" would have if the trajectory were different. Imagine the star heading, on the plane of the Milky Way, towards a blue rock on an outer arm.

X-COM
2006-Jan-27, 06:27 PM
Imagne the problems involved if we tried to expand our civilization to another star system if our sun was an "exile"....

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-27, 07:03 PM
Sounds like both stars are much farther out than where we are from the galactic black hole. The sun sits about 2/3 of the way from the center to the edge of the disk (about 25,000l.y. by the most modern estimates). The sun revolves around the center of the galaxy about once every 250 million years. So with them averaging about 200,000 l.y. out from us roughly opposite though north of galactic equator I tend to think that the computer model lucked out. Still a tremendous find whatever the origins of these exiles were.

Archernar7
2006-Jan-27, 07:48 PM
Fantastic article. The proverbial "needle in a haystack" indeed. 1.25 million mph and the other 1.43 million mph? It's astounding to think of anything traveling that swiftly. What impetus behind it, wow.

galacsi
2006-Jan-27, 07:52 PM
Imagne the problems involved if we tried to expand our civilization to another star system if our sun was an "exile"....

Hush ! and we had already so much difficulties to do it in our present configuration of stars ! Sure Bussard ramjets came in a very handy !

Fraser
2006-Jan-27, 10:14 PM
I just interviewed one of the researchers for this story. I should have a podcast available in a few hours.

caridgway
2006-Jan-28, 05:20 AM
How bright are these things? Anything that can be seen with a home telescope? I Googled the SDSS citation and didn't find anything. Is there a catalog of all known HVSs somewhere on the web where we can get RA/Dec information?

jkmccrann
2006-Jan-28, 08:33 AM
So that's how you accomplish inter-galactic travel! Hook up with a rogue star! Rightio, now we just need to master intra-galactic travel and then find ourselves a rogue or two. ;)

Fraser
2006-Jan-28, 04:12 PM
Okay, here's that interview I was mentioning:
http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/podcast_galactic_exiles.html

iron4
2006-Jan-29, 11:06 PM
Somehow, the idea of the Milky Way and the Andromeda Galaxy shooting exiles to each other reminds me of a shootout in a western movie

Delphi
2006-Jan-29, 11:34 PM
Imagine a civilization upon a planet circling one of these stars . What a view they would have of the galaxy !
Would they even live long enough to see that happen? Wouldn't they immediately go into a perma state?