PDA

View Full Version : MEMBERS who Love The Difference

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-27, 07:08 AM
I do enjoy the variety of members here at BAUT who enjoy astronomy - that's why we are here. Some other folks might like more members who are like minded. No me, so I offer this poll, not to label who you are, but to explore who you'd like to converse with more.
So since only 5 choices, these are the best I can offer. I decided not to include a Skeptics and Conspiracy Researchers on this list, since we have an abundance of those. Humor me and see where this wacky thing will go. (I've disabled making public the names of the voters and yes you may multiple choice with your ONE TIME VOTE)

ToSeek
2006-Jan-27, 10:30 PM
No wackos!

LurchGS
2006-Jan-27, 11:06 PM
it was a tough vote for me... methodologists.. wizards... I like learning stuff, and would anticipate doing so from such.

But if we have more Joe and Janes, that means the message of rationality is successfully promulgating and there are fewer idiots in the world

Over all, that's a very good thing

Other than that, I agree with ToSeek. No wackos. Except for me.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-27, 11:44 PM
I want more writers. And gamers.

Candy
2006-Jan-28, 01:22 AM
It's no surprise what I like. :razz:

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-28, 02:57 AM
It's no surprise what I like. :razz:

Nope. No surprise at all.

jrkeller
2006-Jan-28, 03:00 AM
No wackos!

I'd love to see an infestation of moon hoax believers, and then watch Jay exterminate them all.

R.A.F.
2006-Jan-28, 03:05 AM
No wackos!

To late for that. :)

Vaelroth
2006-Jan-28, 04:47 AM
I want more writers. And gamers.

Bother me about whatever then. I am a hobbyist writer, but I'm a hardcore gamer so yea.

Argos
2006-Jan-28, 01:34 PM
Musicians.

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-28, 01:53 PM
Bother me about whatever then. I am a hobbyist writer, but I'm a hardcore gamer so yea.

Cool!

Uhm.

Now what?

Gullible Jones
2006-Jan-29, 03:04 AM
It's always nice to have a few mathematical prodigies floating around...

Fr. Wayne
2006-Feb-07, 12:42 AM
So far I am very pleased that overall we have a nice balance of star-struck and star-bright members. May the next greatest revolutionary scientific advance find a bigger readership than Copernicus did. signed Mr. Star-buck

Kristophe
2006-Feb-07, 01:56 AM
Oh, I want to see more wackos. And more methodologists. And way more average Js. Bring in a little bit of everyone!

Actually, I think it could do the average J.Q. Public good to see the woowoos crumble. I know it did a lot of good for me. I've learned more about skepticism, rational thought, and debate and logic from looking in on the PX and Apollo Hoax threads than I ever would have if I hadn't bothered to check them out. The contrast is just so incredible that you can't help but learn.

pmcolt
2006-Feb-07, 03:13 AM
I'd like to see more average folk around here. In fact, I'd like to see more interest from Joe and Jane Average in science education in general. Plus I'm already surrounded by computer and mathematical wizards and scientific methodologists in real life. (Peal life, school, whatever.)

Though if the psychic dreamers, remote viewers, and terra-bound ETs could demonstrate conclusive proof of their claims, I would be absolutely thrilled to have them here. I'll be holding my breath and waiting for an analysis of alien DNA or a theoretical framework for psychic abilities that doesn't end up in ATM.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2006-Feb-07, 03:24 AM
it was a tough vote for me... methodologists.. wizards... I like learning stuff, and would anticipate doing so from such.

But if we have more Joe and Janes, that means the message of rationality is successfully promulgating and there are fewer idiots in the world

Over all, that's a very good thing

Other than that, I agree with ToSeek. No wackos. Except for me.
Lurch, I Agree With you, Completely ...

Except, for One SMALL Point ...

I'm The Board's, Resident Wacko!

beskeptical
2006-Feb-07, 08:25 AM
Man, I just can't decide.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Feb-07, 05:51 PM
Lurch, I Agree With you, Completely ...

Except, for One SMALL Point ...

I'm The Board's, Resident Wacko!

LOL: And how much time will you need to present solid evidence that your theory is viable. Lurch has proven sufficiently to me that he is a contender. I wish I could be so efficient.:p

Fr. Wayne
2006-Feb-10, 01:21 PM
Extrapolating from this mini-poll I'm not surprised by the desire of participants to converse with members at ease with the scientific method, am very happy that average Janes and Joes are most welcome, and baffled by the low number for math wizards as they drive astronomy's engines, the high number of members wishing to converse with "other worlds," and the low number for psychic sensitives (probably due to the cartesian paradigm we skeptically live in- kidding) Thank you all for reinforcing "good vibes" on forum.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Feb-10, 01:32 PM
More farmers. Agriculture rocks.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Feb-10, 02:43 PM
On the serious side; in general, the more the merrier.

BUT, there are differences I do not love.

Those that preach against science, the scientific method, and the findings it brings us should try living for a while without the results science has provided. Even give them a head start by providing a nice little encampment somewhere in the backwoods, but allow them to have nothing at all that owes it's existence to the practicing of science. Then see how long they can survive, much less enjoy themselves, with no modern inventions whatsoever.

Of course by now positioning creationism as science via ID, they claim not to be anti-science and do not see themselves as deserving of such an experiment; but we all know that is a sham.

SolusLupus
2006-Feb-10, 05:41 PM
More farmers. Agriculture rocks.

Dude, you're ACTUALLY a farmer?

....and you use a computer?

...*brain breaks*

Doodler
2006-Feb-10, 05:46 PM

...*brain breaks*

Unreal, one aspect of life I'm actually ahead of the curve on Lonewulf. Believe it or not, some aspects of agriculture are as computerized as anything you do in a cubicle.

SolusLupus
2006-Feb-10, 06:31 PM
Unreal, one aspect of life I'm actually ahead of the curve on Lonewulf. Believe it or not, some aspects of agriculture are as computerized as anything you do in a cubicle.

Either that, or I was joking.

I'll call yours Theory B.

(I've been ahead of the curve...?)

Fr. Wayne
2006-Feb-10, 07:21 PM
deserving of such an experiment

this reminds me of Niles Rumfoord's welcoming speech to the Space Wanderer in Sirens of Titan: "I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. Tell me, Space Wanderer, do you see anything here- anything that makes you think you may have been here before?"

farmerjumperdon
2006-Feb-10, 07:51 PM

...*brain breaks*

Farming is one of my hobbies, and though I do not do it on a massive scale of 1000's or even 10's of acres - it's still serious enough to be called farming. But I don't sell anything, we consume what we can, give lots to family & friends (nobody leaves our house without a bag of cooking apples) and trade for other good & services with whomever I can. We have 2 dozen fruit trees, (apples, pears, and plums); large patches of strawberries, blueberries & raspberries; a big bed of herbs; and a good sized vegetable garden. The previous owner did about 4 1/2 acres of grain, but I have too many other things going to do that also.

The workload varies radically with the seasons, but I'd say on average about 20 to 30 hours per week. For income I do telephony consulting about 30 hours a week. It's a nice balance; writing CRM business requirements keeps my nose in technology and working on the farm keeps my hands in the soil - good for the soul.

And if some crazy does start something that leads to world chaos, we could probably hunker down and survive for quite a while - maybe indefinitely. Gotta get started on the gun towers though if we intend to be able to hold off the starving hordes bound to come streaming out of the cities.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Feb-10, 08:06 PM
I'm of course kidding on the last sentence. Just wanted to see if there were any reactions.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Feb-10, 08:34 PM
strawberries, blueberries & raspberries

I'm on my way. No, wait. Make it this summer. No wait. You probably jar the stuff. I'm on my way right now!

Candy
2006-Feb-10, 09:34 PM
Farming is one of my hobbies, and though I do not do it on a massive scale of 1000's or even 10's of acres - it's still serious enough to be called farming. But I don't sell anything, we consume what we can, give lots to family & friends (nobody leaves our house without a bag of cooking apples) and trade for other good & services with whomever I can. We have 2 dozen fruit trees, (apples, pears, and plums); large patches of strawberries, blueberries & raspberries; a big bed of herbs; and a good sized vegetable garden. The previous owner did about 4 1/2 acres of grain, but I have too many other things going to do that also.

The workload varies radically with the seasons, but I'd say on average about 20 to 30 hours per week. For income I do telephony consulting about 30 hours a week. It's a nice balance; writing CRM business requirements keeps my nose in technology and working on the farm keeps my hands in the soil - good for the soul.

And if some crazy does start something that leads to world chaos, we could probably hunker down and survive for quite a while - maybe indefinitely. Gotta get started on the gun towers though if we intend to be able to hold off the starving hordes bound to come streaming out of the cities.You know what's funny? I thought you meant geology when you said agriculture rocks. :o

Telephony is big business right now, so you are in the right spots for either world chaos or a job. :D

Fr. Wayne
2006-Feb-10, 11:17 PM
The previous owner did about 4 1/2 acres of grain, but I have too many other things going to do that also.

Agriculture is your job. Rent out corn field to neighbor make extra $$$

SolusLupus
2006-Feb-10, 11:43 PM
And if some crazy does start something that leads to world chaos, we could probably hunker down and survive for quite a while - maybe indefinitely. Gotta get started on the gun towers though if we intend to be able to hold off the starving hordes bound to come streaming out of the cities.

Hey, can I join ya? All my playing of Fallout can really help... and my post apocalypse gaming in general...

Please?

Pretty please?

Fr. Wayne
2006-Feb-11, 12:14 AM
Bring some of that Tex-Mex chili and I'll let you pass through Illinois, on your way my lad, you'll need a 14 hr. head start.