PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bad Astronomy blog

UnrepentantSinner
2006-Jan-27, 02:59 PM
It's been a really long time since I've checked Phil's site and even longer since I've even logged into this message board, but about three weeks to a month ago I suddenly started getting e-mails notifying me that there were updates to the BA blog. I found this strange for three reasons.

1. I hadn't logged on to the BA message board in around 10 months or so.
2. I wasn't aware that Phil had started a BA associated blog.
3. I've never even heard of Feedbitz, the source of my e-mails.

I don't mind getting the updates, and can't wait to read BA's Amazing Meeting blog entries, but I am curious as to how I was subscribed in the first place. I have three hunches, and was wondering if anyone here could offer me some insight or answers.

1. I was automatically subscribed due to membership here.
2. Someone else subscribed me (and considering what sort of websites they could have signed me up for, Bad Astronomy is pretty darn innocuous).
3. I have a virus that somehow automatically subscribed me.

Can anyone help?

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-27, 03:41 PM
Huh. That is strange. I can rule out explanation #1 since I haven't been automatically signed up for the updates, but that's about all that I can do for you.

hhEb09'1
2006-Jan-27, 03:53 PM
1. I was automatically subscribed due to membership here.I think I was automatically subscribed as well. I assumed it was because I'd set auto-subscribe in my profile--did you used to have email notification for the threads that you posted to?

Tensor
2006-Jan-27, 03:56 PM
Back when you were posting here, did you sign up for his newsletters? He used to send them out and if you had signed up for those, you were transferred over.

Fraser
2006-Jan-27, 06:20 PM
Phil used to have a big list of people "subscribed" to his Yahoo email list. I think he got so frustrated by the system that he gave up sending out updates. He also switched from posting on his website to maintaining a blog. There's a service that we're both using called Feedblitz that scoops up each day's blog entries and mails them out to subscribers, so Phil just transitioned the Yahoo subscribers over to this service.

It's legitimate.

UnrepentantSinner
2006-Jan-31, 03:25 PM
Fraser, I knew they were legit because, well, simply because I can't imagine a spammer or phisher using Bad Astronomy as a gateway for suckering rubes to click on e-mails. As I said in the OP, I was more curious about the source than the subscription than I was of the content.

I just read Phil's blog entires for TAM4 (by taking the link from my Feedbitz e-mail) and really enjoyed them. I can't wait until he has a better connection and can upload some images.

I think I was automatically subscribed as well. I assumed it was because I'd set auto-subscribe in my profile--did you used to have email notification for the threads that you posted to?

Aha! An option I didn't even think of. I haven't logged in here in many months so I didn't even think about my settings. I'm leaning towards option two at this point(someone signing me up), though I really don't have any way of knowing.

Thanks for the replies folks. :)

The Bad Astronomer
2006-Feb-02, 06:57 AM
Fraser is right. Anyone who was on the list for my old Yahoo group got subscribed to the blog via FeedBlitz.

Welcome back!

gilberto camblor
2006-Mar-25, 10:45 PM
Hellow Does anyone has any idea about the "non-space" concept ?
Thanks
gilberto camblor

hhEb09'1
2006-Mar-25, 11:28 PM
Hellow Does anyone has any idea about the "non-space" concept ?Not me. Maybe this should be broken off as a separate thread?

Welcome to the BAUT, gilberto camblor, "non-space" sounds like it might engender a lively debate.

Mr Gorsky
2006-May-23, 11:55 AM
Without wanting to resurrect an old thread, how does one go about subscribing for these updates?

hhEb09'1
2006-May-23, 04:56 PM
Without wanting to resurrect an old thread, how does one go about subscribing for these updates?There's a request for updates field for your email, next to the blog (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/) itself

nokton
2006-May-24, 07:29 PM
Not me. Maybe this should be broken off as a separate thread?

Welcome to the BAUT, gilberto camblor, "non-space" sounds like it might engender a lively debate.
Posed a question once about Null space, that is space with no reference.
It does exist between galaxies, where no interference obtains.
Nokton.

Mr Gorsky
2006-May-24, 10:12 PM
There's a request for updates field for your email, next to the blog (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/) itself

Hehe, thanks. Guess I can't see for looking ... I blame my lack of depth perception.

:D

nokton
2006-May-28, 06:53 PM
Hellow Does anyone has any idea about the "non-space" concept ?
Thanks
gilberto camblor
Hi Gilberto,
There is always an opposite to everything, and my question
was about null space, meaning space unaffected by radiation of any kind.
In such space, time would have no relative meaning, nothing would
change. Time as we know it would not exist. Time is the measure between
one event and another. In null space, there is no event, nothing to cause
it. So time stands still.
Nokton.

nokton
2006-May-29, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=nokton]
Hi Gilberto,
There is always an opposite to everything, and my question
was about null space, meaning space unaffected by radiation of any kind.
In such space, time would have no relative meaning, nothing would
change. Time as we know it would not exist. Time is the measure between
one event and another. In null space, there is no event, nothing to cause
it. So time stands still.
Nokton.