PDA

View Full Version : LOL! Evil radioactive birds

Glom
2006-Jan-27, 07:07 PM
It's true! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A8789935)

LOL!

LurchGS
2006-Jan-27, 07:11 PM
LOL

no concept of progress, either,I see.

And I'd bet they're not dismanted because the owner is too cheap to do it, not because we can't.

All in all, full of proof the writer has not done any research - just heard about the 'radioactive' birds and went with it.

Glom
2006-Jan-27, 07:16 PM
And I'd bet they're not dismanted because the owner is too cheap to do it, not because we can't.

I'm preparing a response to that. Here it is:

"Rubbish. The vast majority of a nuclear reactor is no different from a coal fired power station, except the atmosphere is much more breathable. The only problematic bits are small parts of the core which have been activated by neutron irradiation. This is intermediate level waste, small in quantity and relativity easy to deal with. The reason why some reactors are left standing after final shutdown is not because we don't know how to dismantle them, but because we do. Leaving them standing for few years allows the activated material to decay to lower levels where it is easier to deal. In short, they're standing because it is convenient, not because we have no choice. Other reactors are dismantled immediately if that is deemed the best option for that situation."

Nicolas
2006-Jan-27, 07:22 PM
Where does he get the bird story from?

LurchGS
2006-Jan-27, 07:30 PM
I'm preparing a response to that. Here it is:

"Rubbish. The vast majority of a nuclear reactor is no different from a coal fired power station, except the atmosphere is much more breathable. The only problematic bits are small parts of the core which have been activated by neutron irradiation. This is intermediate level waste, small in quantity and relativity easy to deal with. The reason why some reactors are left standing after final shutdown is not because we don't know how to dismantle them, but because we do. Leaving them standing for few years allows the activated material to decay to lower levels where it is easier to deal work. In short, they're standing because it is convenient, not because we have no choice. Other reactors are dismantled immediately if that is deemed the best option for that situation."

I made a smal change, for readability.

Should also counter his fuel and waste statements.

And I'd really like so see some proof that those birds were really radioactive just from flying near the reactor. Maybe if they spent protracted time there, eating whatever grew around the reactor...Even exposure to an atomic bomb was not generally fatal outside the flash zone. (not that it was HEALTHY, but not fatal without repeated exposure)

Hrm.. on further thought... if those reactors were decommissioned in '57, either they were really really dirty, or the owner is just too cheap to dismantle them.

Glom
2006-Jan-27, 07:35 PM
If you go back to the link, you'll see my complete response.

LurchGS
2006-Jan-27, 07:39 PM
good shot!

and I LOVE the line "Comic book physics"

Doodler
2006-Jan-27, 07:42 PM
Nicely done and well written. :)

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Jan-27, 10:53 PM
Hrm.. on further thought... if those reactors were decommissioned in '57, either they were really really dirty, or the owner is just too cheap to dismantle them.
What about both. ;)

The Windscale Reactors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire) are antiques, and one of them has semi-melted.
My guess is that they are now trying to figure out how to do it.

hewhocaves
2006-Jan-27, 11:06 PM
I can't help but think of that scene in Austin Powers with the sea bass.

"Sir, we couldn't get mutant eagles. The best we could do was radioactive pigeons.."
"Are they EVIL radioactive pigeons?"
"Oh yes, they're quite ill-tempered."

SolusLupus
2006-Jan-27, 11:39 PM
He never actually said the birds were evil, did he? If he did, I missed it. It seemed that he just said they were radioactive birds that were killed. Or something.

Either way, it sounds pretty darn stupid.

publiusr
2006-Feb-03, 05:10 PM
Rhodan!

NEOWatcher
2006-Feb-03, 05:19 PM
Curie-er pigeons. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/r035.gif

Lianachan
2006-Feb-03, 06:00 PM
Well, if he'd said potentially contaminated birds rather than radioactive birds that part wouldn't be as far removed from the truth.