PDA

View Full Version : Bones

Paul Beardsley
2006-Jan-28, 04:31 PM
This isn't really astronomy-related, but there is a strong emphasis on science, and it has links to fantasy TV.

So, does anybody else watch it? Does anyone know if the forensics, holographic reconstruction and so on, has any basis in real life?

I don't think it's the best TV programme ever, but I find it quite engaging. To my mind, though, the best thing about it is that it treats the murder victims as people. We are shown their pasts, the hopes their parents and friends had for them, and so on. This is in complete contrast to most murder mystery stories that I have seen, where the dead body is simply a thing to be investigated.

suntrack2
2006-Jan-28, 05:14 PM
hi paul nice topic here, well many tv stations starts different programs to run the tv and make it more "flashy and controversial serials of suspense, tragedy, comedy, ads and so on. they have a very fine event managers with them, they can show their spectetors the different shows which we have never seen before. there is sort of chanel wrestiling on the television only we have to choice 1 at a time.

sunil

Candy
2006-Jan-28, 09:34 PM
I never heard of Bones (http://www.fox.com/schedule/2005fall/bones.htm) before today. It sounds interesting.

Heid the Ba'
2006-Jan-30, 12:47 PM
I haven't seen Bones, but have seen the trailers. If they reconstruct faces from skullls there is no basis in science for this. You can do it, but it is guesswork based on age and race.

Roy Batty
2006-Jan-30, 01:10 PM
Some interesting info here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forensic_Facial_Reconstruction)

Looks like advances are continuing to be made in the techniques (which I would say does involve some science despite the level of subjectivity involved).

I've seen Bones & found it rather interesting so far.

Gas Giant
2006-Feb-07, 04:04 PM
I haven't seen Bones, but have seen the trailers. If they reconstruct faces from skullls there is no basis in science for this. You can do it, but it is guesswork based on age and race.
They actually showed that in the first episode, where they reconstructed the face of the victim both as a caucasian and then mixed race.

Candy
2006-Feb-08, 06:15 AM
I saw some of the show. I liked it. I'm not getting the DR. TEMPERANCE BRENNAN sex appeal, though. I am watching to correct show, right? :shifty:

The episode I saw was with the kidnapped child who's finger had been cut off. There were able to determine/assume the kid was still alive based on the blood flow from the severed finger. The mother's bones were examined, and it took a great deal of work to discover she had been electrocuted.

I didn't really see any reconstruction. Perhaps, the next episode.