PDA

View Full Version : Galactica discussion (WITH SPOILERS!)

Nergal
2006-Jan-27, 08:09 PM
Relax. This show is so popular that someone needs to bring its fans' feet back to Earth. :D

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a raging fan-boy :)

It's not the HumVees, M-16s, and 21-gun salutes that bother me. It's the logical gaps and the hokey cylons as religous fanatics stuff that bothers me. Stuff like the last episode (Boomer's baby's curing the president's cancer overnight) drives me up the wall...I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, not my sense of reason.

Charly
2006-Jan-27, 10:09 PM
.......... (Boomer's baby's curing the president's cancer overnight)

Gee Whizz!

I guess I wont need to watch the series when it comes on in the UK now you have just given away one of the biggest plot point in the whole series which has nothing to do with this particular thread.

Well done!

I guess I wont bother looking in any more BSG forums in the future.

randycat99
2006-Jan-28, 06:22 AM
Don't fret too much about the cancer cure. The plot element ended up nearly as a mere footnote, rather than some big revelation. I kind of rolled my eyes when I first saw it, and that is w/o it being spoiled by the inadvertent teaser. Oh yeah, some little baby chemical discovered and viola, the president is cured within the last 5 min of the show...kinda lame unobtanium-style resolution, imo.

Trust me, the episode is still worth watching for the drama that is played with Boomer's character. ;)

ToSeek
2006-Jan-28, 07:24 PM
Discussion moved to separate thread to avoid any further unfortunate surprises.

baric
2006-Jan-28, 09:25 PM
Gee Whizz!

I guess I wont need to watch the series when it comes on in the UK now you have just given away one of the biggest plot point in the whole series which has nothing to do with this particular thread.

Well done!

I guess I wont bother looking in any more BSG forums in the future.

If you don't want to see any spoilers, that's a GOOD idea. You should know better, anyway.

baric
2006-Jan-28, 09:29 PM
Don't fret too much about the cancer cure. The plot element ended up nearly as a mere footnote, rather than some big revelation.

No, here's what sucked about the cure. The President had cancer and was supposed to die. This is part of the original storyline.

Having her cancer cured at the last possible minute shows that the popularity of the show (and its main characters) has taken precedence over the storyline.

We now know that none of the main characters are going to die despite what risks they may encounter, which removes a key dramatic element in the storyline.

I'm sure it won't be long before we spot the BSG equivalent of Redshirts (from Star Trek)

jt-3d
2006-Jan-28, 09:46 PM
Well the prophecy said the leader was dying, which she was. It didn't say that she would die. I guess the writers left a theirselves a loophole. Now they can start the love affair between Adama and her. I can hardly wait *sigh*.

Well it hasn't started down the slope to suckiness yet but I think it's sitting on the peak right now.

The Incredible Bloke
2006-Jan-28, 10:35 PM
The cure was a little like too much of Deus ex Machina for my taste.

ToSeek
2006-Jan-29, 03:13 AM
The cure was a little like too much of Deus ex Machina for my taste.

Too much deus ex machina, too much we-know-the-character-can't-die-because-the-actress-has-a-seven-year-contract.

Charly
2006-Jan-29, 03:45 PM
If you don't want to see any spoilers, that's a GOOD idea. You should know better, anyway.

But, This was a debate of tech level used in the series, which I thought was pretty safe ground in terms of spoilers.

Sorry if I sounded a bit annoyed - well, I was... But this is one show which I am trying to limit exposure before I see the episode, as its the only decent sci-fi show on the telly. I had managed to avoid any plot points for the whole second season.

Peteman
2006-Jan-29, 06:20 PM
Eh, there are times I wonder if the upper echelons of humanity had been infiltrated by renegade cylons. Because I find the unyielding adherence to the ideals of democracy in the face of having 999'999/1'000'000 killed is somewhat "huh?"

(I'm not sure how big the Colonies are, so until someone corrects me with an example, I'm assuming the total population was about 50'000'000'000)

PS: You know, there's one thing I wish... the guy that did the Cynic's Corner http://www.cynicscorner.org/index.html would do Galactica.