PDA

View Full Version : The Island, Revisited

hrherle
2006-Jan-28, 08:31 PM
Hi All,

Just finished seeing the DVD version of Island. Nice movie, cool stunts ( reminds me the stunts of Terminator 2 chase scene), good plot.Anyway got a couple of doubts nagging in my mind.

1) Is it necessary that the "Clones" are required to be trained at the first place, there role being not more than potential organ carriers ? They can be left inside the cocoon itself, will be of lesser maintainnence too...

2) "clones" have their memory implanted, is it possible?

3) Does the clone will have the same finger print as the original ?

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-28, 08:37 PM
1) It's actually probably cheaper to train the clones for slave labour. Why hire people to take care of things when you can force people to do it?

2) Memory implantation is just fiction. Cool fiction, sure, but still fiction. (At least to the degree that it is done in the movie. There are little tricks that can be used to alter memories and implant false ones.)

3) I'm going to say probably. But I'm not sure if fingerprints are a genetic function or not. It would stand to reason, but I really don't know.

hrherle
2006-Jan-28, 09:27 PM
I think keeping the clones in a cocoon with constant food supply will be chaper than providing each of them a seperate room, costume, individual diet etc.

BTW, the movie remined me of Matrix, another one with parallel plot with a different angle.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-28, 09:29 PM
Wait, wasn't there a reason that they couldn't just leave them in the cocoon? The organs kept dying, so they needed entirely human incubators. So I'm going to infer that just feeding the things nutrients caused problems, while allowing the human body to take care of them normally didn't cause problems.

oynaz
2006-Jan-29, 12:16 AM
I actually think the movie was rather stupid. The idea was good, but the execution was horrible. Aside from big plot holes, two major things comes to mind:

1)
The mercenaries out to get Our Hero are complete and utterly incompetent. They cannot hit a barn door from 2 meters away, and they fly their fancy jetbikes like drunk and blind 5-year olds.
Stormtroopers look like Navy SEALS in comparison.

2)
The Bad Guy finds indisputable evidence that some kind of powerful telepathic link exists between the original and the clone. This alone would have given him a nobel prize. Yet the film does not touch this theme at all.

3)
The African mercenary boss commits gross atrocities, yet the ending of the film makes him seem a hero. I do not like the morale of that story.

4)
The stupid, blind, incompetent, moronic mercenaries are faced with a classic cartoon dilemma: The original and the clone are each claming to be the "real" one. The complete and utter moronic idiots shoot one of them.
This may have been the most stupid move in any movie ever. What kept the emptyheaded chickebrains from simply capturing the two and making sure?

Well, that was four major things.

Van Rijn
2006-Jan-29, 12:38 AM
1) Is it necessary that the "Clones" are required to be trained at the first place, there role being not more than potential organ carriers ? They can be left inside the cocoon itself, will be of lesser maintainnence too...

It's fictional, we haven't artificially cloned anybody yet, we can't "speed grow" people to adulthood, and nobody has made an artificial womb, so you couldn't leave them in a cocoon either. What's more interesting today is looking for ways to repair or grow organs or parts of organs.

By the way, if I did have a clone body handy, why would I want it aged to match my current age? That was one of the sillier aspects of the movie.

2) "clones" have their memory implanted, is it possible?

Not today. We don't even have that good a handle on how memory works. My guess is that it would take nanomachines that could change neuron firing patterns on a vast scale. That's not going to happen anytime soon.

Some type of enhanced training might be easier, but this is speculation.

3) Does the clone will have the same finger print as the original ?

No. We already know that clones don't have the same fingerprints. Identical siblings are natural clones. See here for example:

http://multiples.about.com/cs/funfacts/a/twinfingerprint.htm

"The ultimate shape of fingerprints are believed to be influenced by environmental factors during pregnancy, like nutrition, blood pressure, position in the womb and the growth rate of the fingers at the end of the first trimester. Thus, you will find similar partterns of whorls and ridges in the fingerprints of identical twins. But there will also be differences ..."

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Jan-29, 12:54 AM
It's fictional, we haven't artificially cloned anybody yet, we can't "speed grow" people to adulthood, and nobody has made an artificial womb, so you couldn't leave them in a cocoon either. What's more interesting today is looking for ways to repair or grow organs or parts of organs.

That was the premise of the movie. But they couldn't get individual organs to grow properly, so they cloned whole people in secret.

No. We already know that clones don't have the same fingerprints. Identical siblings are natural clones.

Oh. Thanks for the correction. I really didn't know that...

Charly
2006-Jan-29, 11:46 PM
What got me was that the Mercs were going round toasting half of the city, but the police or military, or whoever - dont show up at any point.

Youd think in the future there wouldnt be a place in a city that didnt have some kind of camera linking it to local law enforcement.

soylentgreen
2006-Jan-30, 01:41 AM
Gentlemn, I direct your attention to a 1979 film featuring two of the greater titans of cinema, Peter Graves and Dick Sargent.....PARTS: THE CLONUS HORROR.

Gravely maligned(let's face it, no film survives the MST3K treatment with dignity intact. ;) ), PARTS manages to actually confront the ultimately de-humanizing logical conclusion that cloning would represent complete with a grim dénouement.

Yeah, yeah...the acting's cardboard, the fashion's are flashack inducing and the science is dubious(and I mean dubious.), but it proves, as BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS does as well, a good cheesy B-movie can sometimes make more candid and important points than multi-million dollar studio drek.

Plus without PARTS, THE ISLAND screenwriters would have had to work from scratch...and you know how unlikely that is now. ;)

erisi236
2006-Feb-02, 04:17 PM
I just wonder why "they" just dont clone parts as opposed to full grown human beings, doesn't make any sense to me.

Also why spend billions to house, cloth, feed, make, ect a bunch of clones for wars, or slaves or whatever when you can easliy right now go to any 3rd world country and hire mercenaries or cheap labour for a fraction of the cost of cloneing folks for the job, it's just plain dumb :wall: