PDA

View Full Version : Pinewood derby car racing 01/28/06

slotdrag
2006-Jan-29, 03:37 AM
Ok we had six different groupes. Tigers, Bears, Wolves, Webelos 1, Webelos 2, Then there is outlaw class for the grown ups or the kids if they wanted to compete there. My son is a bear cub and he took first place undefeated in double elimanations racing. Then the winners of the five scout classes race for over all winner. Ricky jr. won second. Im so proud of him he built most of his car himself. Now in outlaw class i let my daughter sophia run my car since i was running the races. She won twice then got beat and sent to the looser bracket. She beat all the cars in the looser bracket and had to race the undefeated car. She won the first race so they had to run again since they both had one loose. She won again to take first place im so proud of her also. This was our first year not to bad for a bunch of rookies.

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-29, 04:35 AM
Cool, that sounds like a ball of fun, congratulations.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-29, 05:02 AM
Ahh the good old days-

Since you sound like one of the officials, what exactly is the weight limit for a pinewood car?

slotdrag
2006-Jan-29, 05:30 AM
Offical weight for the cub scouts was max 5 ozs. The out laws was unlimited. Mine weighted in at 15.5 ozs.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-29, 08:52 AM
I carved out a huge hole on the underbelly of mine in order to insert weights for the outlaw races. But I discovered I had to make many trade-offs such as wheels strong enough for outlaw but light enough for official race. It was nerve- raking and alas I knew right then that I was no engineer, but at least it was mine. Thanks for starting this thread.

slotdrag
2006-Jan-29, 06:38 PM
I cut the car in half and hollowed the two halfs out. I work for midas so i got some old stick on wheel weights and staked them. The most weight to the rear. glued the weights in place. Then i glued the to halfs together sanded it smooth and painted it. Nobody could tell what i done, And everybody was surprised how heavey it was.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-29, 07:27 PM
kewl

slotdrag
2006-Jan-29, 09:19 PM
Everybody was cheering because their cars would take off fastthen either go steady or slow on the flat. Mine started out slow and as hit hit the flat its like it got a push it would pass the otheres just at the end of the track.

hhEb09'1
2006-Jan-29, 09:22 PM
Everybody was cheering because their cars would take off fastthen either go steady or slow on the flat. Mine started out slow and as hit hit the flat its like it got a push it would pass the otheres just at the end of the track.sounds like the others succumbed to friction. Did you weigh all the outlaws?

slotdrag
2006-Jan-30, 12:16 AM
They all weighted from about 7 ozs. Up to 16.4 ozs.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Jan-30, 12:50 AM
An Outlaw class?!

Cub Scouts ain't what it used to be.