PDA

View Full Version : is energy generation possible on moon?

suntrack2
2006-Jan-29, 04:00 PM
to meet the future need of earth especially in the energy field, what use can be made for earth when moon is the immediately nearer object for us.

1. for large solar energy plant on moon?
2. from the available material which is useful to creat energy?
3. is the wireless energy transfer medium has developed to transfer the energy from moon to earth?

or such thing is not possible in case of moon?

sunil

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-29, 10:54 PM
http://ssi.org/?page_id=8

I was a senior member long time ago.

suntrack2
2006-Jan-30, 04:01 PM
Fr.Wayne Sir, very nice information you have attached here, thank you very much. but the question remains of how the energy can transfer from the remote place to earth, that's a real question.

Kaptain K
2006-Feb-01, 06:58 PM
The short answer is...it can't!

Anything that can be produced on the Moon, can be made on Earth cheaper than it can be transported to Earth!

Fr. Wayne
2006-Feb-02, 01:25 AM
Any production of energy in a shallower gravity well can be used right there to unburden the earth's supplies and further conserve energy here. (e.i. construction of space-station materials, steel and aluminum production, super-strong alloys which need weight-less-ness to manufacture, etc.) thereby contributing to the overall energy output of planet.

Van Rijn
2006-Feb-02, 09:16 AM
The short answer is...it can't!

Anything that can be produced on the Moon, can be made on Earth cheaper than it can be transported to Earth!

That is certainly true today. Although I suspect earth based solutions will remain more practical, it is possible that highly automated construction of solar power collectors and microwave transmitters on the moon could eventually be cheaper and have less environmental impact than earth based power solutions.

Kaptain K
2006-Feb-05, 05:59 AM
And if He3 is found on the Moon in mineable quantities, all bets are off! He3 is the one thing that might be economically feasable to import from the Moon.

suntrack2
2006-Feb-05, 04:56 PM
kaptain you mean helium?

max8166
2006-Feb-05, 09:49 PM
Surely you can create a narrow field of electro magnetic (e.g. light) energy from a moon base and beam it to the ground base. However the amount of energy loss would I think be unacceptable especially as it would result in atmosphere warming. Which is something I think we should move away from!

Another downside is as the earth is spinning you would only be able to accept incoming energy once a day when the moon came into view, tho' I suppose you could have many receiving stations arround the earth.

Joff
2006-Feb-05, 11:36 PM
And if He3 is found on the Moon in mineable quantities, all bets are off! He3 is the one thing that might be economically feasable to import from the Moon.I'm not sure where this idea came from that Helium-3 is such a desirable isotope. It's not particularly good for fusion (based on theory of course), and other applications use such tiny quantities that it's not worth importing from the moon.

suntrack2
2006-Feb-06, 05:25 PM
:)max8166
thank you for the reply, the electro magnetic energy ofcourse will be made by the man there on moon!