PDA

View Full Version : need advice for photography

baric
2006-Jan-29, 09:16 PM
I haven't owned a telescope since I was maybe 10, but I'd love to get back into it. I'm especially interested in photography.

I'd like something that could take good pictures of galaxies, nebula, and the occasional planet or comet (a wide range, I know!)

My location is in a North Texas suburb, with the associated light pollution problems.

I assume that I'd need a "goto" feature on the telescope along with a good camera. I've seen suggestions on this forum for telescopes, but not for cameras.

Also, what kind of filters would work best for various types of objects.

If there is a good link with information for starters, let me know!

Kaptain K
2006-Jan-30, 05:38 AM
Orion - http://www.telescope.com
Celestron - http://www.celestron.com/main.php
Meade - http://www.meade.com/

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-30, 01:25 PM
That's why it's called the present.

And I thought no one believed in Santa Claus anymore. Kaptain K, you are a sweetheart.

baric
2006-Jan-30, 05:47 PM
Orion - http://www.telescope.com
Celestron - http://www.celestron.com/main.php
Meade - http://www.meade.com/

Thanks. I spent most of yesterday afternoon, poring over the Celestron & Meade telescopes, trying to get a solid understanding of the pros and cons of the various telescopes and what their accessories do.

I've kind of narrowed down my 'mission', so to speak. I'd like a telescope that can be controlled from a remote PC (perhaps via a network connection to a PC attached to the telescope), that would allow me to capture and download images without attending the telescope. It seems like GPS positioning will be a must of this requirement.

I live in a heavily light-polluted area, so I am looking at a way to possibly move the optics to a more remote area. In fact, I'd love to be able to eventually direct the telescope and view the images over an internet connection!

If that is a really stupid idea, somebody let me know!

stu
2006-Jan-30, 07:25 PM
I don't know as much about telescopes since I just use our University 'scopes. My one word of caution to you is that if you want to move it, be mindful of the telescope weight and dimensions ... e.g. do you have a car big enough to move it, and do you want to be moving it every night?

Camera-wise, I think you need to decide if you want a dedicated telescope camera or do you want a camera that you can use for every-day stuff and just hook up to the telescope when you want. If you go with the former, then there are high-quality CCDs that I'm sure you could get that have their own cooling (to reduce the electronic noise) etc. and I know less about it.

If you go with the latter, then you *should* get a digital SLR, would be my recommendation. I personally like Canons, but dpreview.com would be a great place to get started in looking for cameras. I've been very happy with my Digital Rebel so far (Canon brand), and I know that Canon makes a specific camera for astrophotography. (No, I'm not a Canon rep. or anything, I've just used 'em for 4 years and been very happy.)

There are so many options out there ... I recommend figuring out what you want to spend, and then trying to find the best item for what fits within your budget and your needs.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-30, 10:27 PM
If that is a really stupid idea, somebody let me know!

The only thing stupid with the idea you have is to spend $$$$$ (that's 5 digits) and then by the time it is all assembled you change your mind, discover girls or something and put everything on Ebay for sale like a dozen other people are already doing. E-bay? Caveat Emptor.

Kaptain K
2006-Jan-30, 10:33 PM
Fr. Wayne,
Note that my sig is a quote. It is not original with me. It is one of my brother's favorite lines. I liked it, so I looked it up on the net, so I could properly atribute it.

aurora
2006-Jan-30, 10:46 PM
I live in a heavily light-polluted area, so I am looking at a way to possibly move the optics to a more remote area. In fact, I'd love to be able to eventually direct the telescope and view the images over an internet connection!

This has been done, but it is a really major project.

Most amateur observatories are designed to be operated on site -- in other words, they require a person to physically be present.

Completely remote operation adds a whole nother level of sophistication to the requirements.

One of my friends has a personal observatory that can be operated from inside his house. But if something goes wrong he can just walk a hundred feet and fix it. And the whole project took him a couple of years. And he is retired. But what he has now is a really great setup for imaging.

You might want to order and read some back issues of Amateur Astronomy magazine: www.amateurastronomy.com

Fr. Wayne
2006-Jan-31, 12:44 AM
Note that my sig is a quote. It is not original with me. It is one of my brother's favorite lines. I liked it, so I looked it up on the net, so I could properly atribute it.

Sources are important. Using sources well honors the author. Keep using your sources well.

baric
2006-Jan-31, 01:10 AM
The only thing stupid with the idea you have is to spend $$$$$ (that's 5 digits) and then by the time it is all assembled you change your mind, discover girls or something and put everything on Ebay for sale like a dozen other people are already doing. E-bay? Caveat Emptor.

Excellent cautionary advice. Thanks! I will make sure that I work within a respectable budget :)

baric
2006-Jan-31, 01:11 AM
One of my friends has a personal observatory that can be operated from inside his house. But if something goes wrong he can just walk a hundred feet and fix it. And the whole project took him a couple of years. And he is retired. But what he has now is a really great setup for imaging.

That sounds very cool and something in line of what I'd like to do.

JohnW
2006-Jan-31, 04:27 PM
Excellent cautionary advice. Thanks! I will make sure that I work within a respectable budget :)
Ha! Famous last words...

Fr. Wayne
2006-Feb-01, 02:14 AM
Ha! Famous last words...

you should put that one on the funniest one liners thread. I take it you've been down that road before too.