PDA

View Full Version : The New 10th Planet Is Larger than Pluto

Fraser
2006-Feb-02, 05:27 AM
SUMMARY: Astronomers have confirmed that the newly discovered 10th planet is larger than Pluto. Nicknamed 2003 UB313 for now, the new planet has a diameter of 3,000 km (1,850 miles) which is 700 km (435 miles) larger than Pluto. These new observations were made using a sensitive sensor on the IRAM 30-m telescope that measured the heat emitted by the new object, and found it had a similar reflectivity to Pluto. This allowed them to calculate its size.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/10th_planet_pluto.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

Metricyard
2006-Feb-02, 05:39 AM
Hmm. Planet 10. Planet X.

They were right all along! :)

Couldn't they use the Hubble telescope to get a better view of our new neighbor, or is it too small for it?

Midnight_Toker
2006-Feb-02, 08:54 PM
I hope they think of a better name than ub313 for this planet... each planet in our solar system has a unique and distinguishing name that represents something. UB313 sounds way to technical to catch on

Disinfo Agent
2006-Feb-02, 10:18 PM
Nibiru?

> ducks and covers <

Dragon Star
2006-Feb-02, 10:23 PM
I hope they think of a better name than ub313 for this planet... each planet in our solar system has a unique and distinguishing name that represents something. UB313 sounds way to technical to catch on

Note the words "Nickname" and "For now..." It helps to read.;)

jkmccrann
2006-Feb-04, 06:46 AM

Yep, boring name, but then, no one knows how to classify this object as yet. If it is at sometime confirmed as a planet, they could well have a global competition to name it. Main problem being, they may have to pinch an existing name from one of the asteroids.

badr87
2006-Feb-05, 02:52 PM
Thanks all

Don't you think that we still have a problem with this so called 10th planet whether it is the 10th planet or astronomers are just kidding with us?
IAU hasn't yet recognised it, do any of you know else this?

Whenever I talk about it , friends ask me about the references of considering it as the 10th planet. Don't you think that their demand is fair ?

Await

Hani

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Feb-05, 03:10 PM
Patience, patience.

And welcome on the board. http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/frech/a090.gif

ArgoNavis
2006-Feb-06, 12:27 PM
name? Persephone, Queen of the Underworld would be a good candidate.

badr87
2006-Feb-09, 11:34 AM
Hello again

[QUOTE=Fraser] Astronomers have confirmed that the newly discovered 10th planet is larger than Pluto.

I'm Just asking, is it the 10th planet or not ???

Disinfo Agent
2006-Feb-09, 12:55 PM
That is still being debated. There are many threads in the forum about it. Check them out.

Hugo Drax
2006-Feb-09, 01:20 PM
Yes, it is what it is at the moment; a big ball of stuff that is slightly smaller than Europa.