PDA

View Full Version : BUG: Auto Loggoff's

dgavin
2006-Feb-03, 01:55 AM
Getting tired of logging in, writing a post or reply, and then losing all my work because when i hit submit, it forces me to log in again. It seems if a post take more then a few minutes to write this happens.

Enzp
2006-Feb-03, 06:48 AM
I'm no expert, but it sounds like trouble in your browser. I have no such trouble, though on my older computer running early Explorer, the browser liked to hang up on me if I let it sit idle for more than a few minutes - like when writing an involved post.

But given that tendency, you might consider a copy and paste approach. If you think the problem will occur, copy the text with a right click on the mouse, then if you lose it you can paste it back in. or for that matter, you can write your posts in notepad and then cut and paste into the reply window.

2006-Feb-03, 07:05 AM
Is the problem the same as the one described in arrgh it happened again... (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=36409)? Fraser solved that one with: always check "Remember Me".

peter eldergill
2006-Feb-05, 04:05 AM
I was about to mention the same thing but....I noticed that my service crapped out on me while I was responding....

What is the aoto logout time, anyway? Just so I know the difference

Pete

Wolverine
2006-Feb-05, 05:25 AM
IIRC, 15 minutes.

Planetwatcher
2006-Feb-25, 04:14 AM
I have never had that problem. There have been times I started a post and left for as much as three hours, and it still went through. Buit then I have an E-mail service that does that auto log off after an hour.

FG77
2006-Feb-26, 06:20 PM
I have the problem too, but it is no problem. If you forced to login then do this. Now you use the Back-Button of your browser to go to your written text. Now you can click the submit-butten and all is OK.

pghnative
2006-Mar-03, 01:52 PM
IIRC, 15 minutes.Is there a strong benefit to this being 15 minutes vs longer? (I believe it was an hour on the old BABB).

For those of us who surf at work, it is easy to get distracted from BAUT by some actual work (:lol: ), and get auto-logged out.

Also, since multiple people at work use the same computer as I, I don't like to use the "Remember Me" functionality.

mickal555
2006-Mar-03, 03:10 PM
I seem to be always logged on...

Fraser
2006-Mar-03, 06:57 PM
We tried upping the limit to an hour, but that caused other problems. Just click the "remember me" button to stay logged in. And then if you're on an insecure computer, log off again when you're done.

Roy Batty
2006-Mar-03, 09:43 PM
So the 'remember me' option doesn't store a cookie on the pc?
I thought it did, in which case, not recommended for anything insecure.

Fraser
2006-Mar-04, 03:53 AM
It does store a cookie, but the forum is putting cookies on your computer anyway to store which forums you've read, etc. If you're working on an unsecure computer, just make sure you log off again when you're done.