PDA

View Full Version : Smallville

Hale_Bopp
2003-Feb-26, 03:12 AM
Christopher Reeve made a much antipated guest appearance on Smallville tonight. He revealed some detials of Clark's past to him. Just a couple of comments.

He says he received a radio signal the day Clark arrived. He claims to have traced the signal back "billions of miles" and found nothing.

This is a common mistake. Even the closest known stars are trillions of miles. He drastically understated the distance.

He states the reason for finding nothing could be "war, famine..." These could explain the death of a race of people, but not the destruction of a star and its planets. He never seems to think hey, maybe its just too far away for me to see. I wish I had looked at the map closer to make a rough estimate at the distances (knowing the approximate radius of our galaxy, I could have at least taken a guess at the distance.

Minor quibbles...I do enjoy that pleasant piece of fiction /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rob

g99
2003-Feb-26, 03:35 AM
That was one of the best smallville episode to date. Right behind the one where the boy with the brain tumor dies. (A very emotional and sad one.)

Reeves was good in it and i hope he stays on as a recurring character.

I also loved the little musical score from the original Superman movies during the Reeves scene. They did it beautifully.

One other thing that bugged me and still buggs me. If the people from krypton sent Clark just as the planet was being destroyed, who made the symbols and drawings on the cave walls in the area? They are supposed to be very old. Did the Kryptonians visit earth long before they sent clark?

I know in the comics and movies they know of earth, but i don't think they have ever visited it.

---------------------

With recieiving the radio signal, it must of been sent years before clark was sent out since Radio waves travel at the speed of light. The ship is supposed to have a interstellar, faster than light drive, so they get around Clarks problem.

They might of sent the radio wave by some special means so it could travel faster than light. I guess we will never know.

P.S. if you wan't to see it again (or missed it), it is on the WB on Sunday afternoon at 5:00 P.M. Eastern.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-02-25 22:36 ]</font>

frenat
2003-Feb-26, 01:45 PM
I haven't gotten to see it yet but I'm looking forward to it. We don't have a WB station here in town (Columbus, OH) so the local UPN station picks up most (not all) of the WB shows and airs them either on Sunday or at 10 pm after their lineup is done. Smallville airs at 10 pm on Wednesdays, right after Enterprise and Twilight Zone.

frenat
2003-Feb-27, 04:06 AM
Just saw it. Pretty good episode. Of course yet another person got too close so he had to die (or become catatonic) so not everybody would find out Clark's secret. Anybody else notice that seems to happen a lot in Smallville? By the way, Kristin Kreuk is amazing.

g99
2003-Feb-27, 04:53 AM
Alos it seems that at least one high school kid dies every episode or so. Yet nobody notices.

Also for such a small town it sure does have a large high school and a large teenage poulation. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

frenat
2003-Feb-27, 04:42 PM
I just find it interesting that Metropolis is so close to Smallville. In every other Superman source Metropolis is supposed to be on the East coast along with Gotham City. I don't think New York is even supposed to exist in the DC comics universe.

Geo3gh
2003-Feb-27, 08:23 PM
New York does indeed exist. When they did the "Death of Robin" story, part of it happened at the UN in NYC.

They just don't seem to have any superheroes there.

Geo3gh
2003-Feb-27, 08:28 PM
For the truly geeky, here's what the rec.arts.comics.* FAQ had to say about where Metropolis, et al, are. http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/comics-racfaq.html#location

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Geo3gh on 2003-02-27 15:28 ]</font>

frenat
2003-Feb-27, 09:26 PM
Aahhh, I see said the blind man.
I'd never really heard of New York in DC comics before. But that article did also mention that Metropolis should be on the East Coast. I have read a few stories that depend on that. It also looks like according to that article, in "Smallville" the major city that they call Metropolis should be either Central City or Keystone City. Oh well, its not like they are following everything else that closely anyway.

Geo3gh
2003-Feb-27, 09:49 PM
I've been thinking that in some ways Gough/Millar are going way back in their interpretation of Superman.

E.g. back in the Superboy days, Pete Ross knew about Clark's abilities; in the current continuity he doesn't (although Lana does, and she's married to him).

It seems to me that Metropolis being so close to Smallville in "Smallville" is harkening back to the days when Metropolis was identified with Cleveland.

R.A.F.
2003-Feb-27, 10:47 PM
On 2003-02-27 15:28, Geo3gh wrote:
For the truly geeky, here's what the rec.arts.comics.* FAQ had to say about where Metropolis, et al, are. http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/comics-racfaq.html#location

Thanks for the great link, Jeff...BTW, Virgil Swann's address is room 434, 939 West 54th st. New York, New York...at least that is what was on the card he sent to Clark. So New York is used in the show.

Hale_Bopp
2003-Mar-01, 05:21 AM
Alos it seems that at least one high school kid dies every episode or so. Yet nobody notices.

Actually, don't forget the Wall of Weird...I think at least one person is suspicous /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rob

Eirik
2003-Mar-03, 09:09 PM
At least in this incarnation, NYC defnintly exists because the Reeve characters office was located at the NYC Planatarium (and it's stated as such in the episode). I've been assuming that Metropolis is some massive equivilant of Chicago. I've also heard references to Edge City (which I've assumed is something like New York or Boston) and Coastal City or similar, which I've assumed is a substitue for either L.A. or San Fran. I rarely hear mentions of real U.S. cities at all.

I've actually been surprisingly engaged by the show over it's run. I was never more than a casual Superman fan at best. Watched the repeats of the old George Reeves Superman as a kid, liked Lois and Clark but felt it went horribly off the rails when they killed of Lex Luthor (and even more so in their ham-handed "return" arc).

Smallville is actually doing something kinda interesting. I almost hope that it slowly evolves into a new Superman series once it finishes its run in a few years (as all things must end.)

They are also, hopefully, going to explain how lana and Chloe and Lex don't put all the pieces together in a few years when Superman suddenly shows up. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Donnie B.
2003-Mar-04, 12:01 AM
My theory is, Kal-El has the power to emit a powerful pheromone that lowers the intelligence of any human that spends much time in his vicinity... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

g99
2003-Mar-04, 12:17 AM
On 2003-03-03 19:01, Donnie B. wrote:
My theory is, Kal-El has the power to emit a powerful pheromone that lowers the intelligence of any human that spends much time in his vicinity... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nope it's the glasses. They emit a stupidity ray.

By the way, when is he going to get those things? They are the staple of Clarks alter ego. I hope soon. They really are snazzy. Aspecially when they are in the Drew Carey style. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Eirik
2003-Mar-04, 03:28 AM
Reminds me of one of the old "Lois and Clark" eps that had Tempus Fuget, a villian from the distant future. At one point he's talking to Lois and saying something like, "One of the great mysteries about you is, how colossaly stupid are you?" refering to the glasses thing. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

There's going to have to be a good reason for the glasses, even if someday he decides to get them purely for the look, or maybe to give the appearence of a vunerability and imperfection to those that might suspect later.

Speaking as a practicing optometrist, I'd hate to have him in my chair. Going down smaller and smaller lines until he's reading "Snellen Chart A-45, Made in U.S.A." /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SeanF
2003-Mar-04, 03:06 PM
On 2003-03-03 22:28, Eirik wrote:

Speaking as a practicing optometrist, I'd hate to have him in my chair. Going down smaller and smaller lines until he's reading "Snellen Chart A-45, Made in U.S.A." /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I'm remembering Tommy Lee Jones pulling this one. Was it in "Space Cowboys"? He's reading the letters off the chart and gets to "M-A-D-E-I-N-U-S . . . Oh, that says 'Made in U.S.A.'" or something like that.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[Edited 'cause I can't spell complicated words like "off"]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeanF on 2003-03-04 10:07 ]</font>