PDA

View Full Version : Last contact with Pioneer 10

Squink
2003-Feb-26, 04:51 AM
Pioneer !0 Spacecraft Sends Last Signal (http://amesnews.arc.nasa.gov/releases/2003/03_25HQ.html)

kucharek
2003-Feb-26, 07:18 AM
I was pleased that this made relative big news here in the morning. Though little spaceship. But maybe it can be contacted again. It already happened that it couldn't be received for some time, but later again.

Harald

nebularain
2003-Feb-26, 09:46 PM
I read in an article, which I cannot find right now, that this was their last attempt at a contact with Pioneer 10, and that they are not planning any more attempts.

Ah well, it endured beyond what was expected, so we can't complain.

Zap
2003-Feb-26, 09:57 PM
Sail in peace, Pioneer 10. *sobs*

http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/funny/outtahere.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zap on 2003-02-26 21:25 ]</font>

astronomymanjoe
2003-Feb-26, 09:57 PM
I think that the evil tarlaneians have token over the space craft and has taken it back to there evil lab. to hack into the computer system and try to take over earth.

P.S. that is why i am here to watch and fiure out how to stop them before they can do it.

tazmandevil3
2003-Feb-27, 12:58 AM
I can't believe it made it as far as it did, still transmitting signals, and we were still receiving them.

g99
2003-Feb-27, 01:53 AM
Impressive little craft. Working and giving data for 30 years when only made to last a little under two. Amazing. Just goes to show what human inginuity and technology can really do.

Goodby little craft.

P.S. doesn't the story of the Pioneer 10 remind you of The little train that could? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Chip
2003-Feb-27, 02:06 AM
Farewell Pioneer 10: Whimsical essay - funny last paragraph (http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/educ/science/1997/04-14-97.htm).

irony
2003-Feb-27, 02:06 AM
*holds a moment of silence* Good luck, little probe. It's gonna be pretty lonely from here on out.

RafaelAustin
2003-Feb-27, 03:43 AM
On 2003-02-26 21:06, Chip wrote:
Farewell Pioneer 10: Whimsical essay - funny last paragraph (http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/educ/science/1997/04-14-97.htm).

Reminds me of a very old SciFi story by A.E. Van Vogt... Humanity is eventually overcome by a massive glaciation and they leave a last time capsule entombed in the Andes mountains. Millenia later, aliens find these last relics of mankind; one is a film that they figure out how to play. It depicts cars driving at impossible speeds and other antics of human life that seem utterly impossible. But they are most confused by the final image of a close up of a face within a circle and the unknown emotion it's expressing. They were watching a Micky Mouse cartoon! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Jimi Hendrix
2003-Feb-27, 04:18 AM
what are the odds of hitting space debry that far out into space? How many more years until it surpases the solar system?

RMallon
2003-Feb-27, 04:31 AM
We were having a discussion about Pioneer and its greeting plaque. I was trying to remember where I was reading about a study of a planet's civilization rate of survival on the technology scale. That is, here on earth we're struggling thru a possible self-destruct phase, hopefully to succeed to the next level of existance (one where we're not killing off each other?). Maybe I read of this in one of Sagan's books.
Anyone have a link or place to check?
Thanks for any help.
Randy

Chip
2003-Feb-27, 08:42 AM
On 2003-02-26 22:43, RafaelAustin wrote:
"Reminds me of a very old SciFi story by A.E. Van Vogt...They were watching a Micky Mouse cartoon!" /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I remember that story. My father told me about it years ago. I think there's also a part where the alien scientists theorize based on the projected images that the ancient earth environment also lacked color, and the creatures on the planet were somehow two dimensional! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

David Hall
2003-Feb-27, 02:29 PM
I believe that's an A.C. Clarke story actually. I've never read any of Voght's short stories, but I'm sure I've read that one.

Edit: Yes, I found it. The title is History Lesson, from 1949, found in his Expedition to Earth anthology.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Hall on 2003-02-27 09:43 ]</font>

Squink
2003-Feb-27, 03:13 PM
On 2003-02-26 23:18, Ritchie Blackmore's cousin wrote:
what are the odds of hitting space debry that far out into space? How many more years until it surpases the solar system?

Pioneer is already outside the solar system. It's going to be around a loooong time:

We expect Pioneer to last an indeterminate period of time, probably outlasting its home planet, Earth. In 5 billion years, the Sun will become a red giant, expand, envelop the orbit of Earth, and consume it. Pioneer will still be out there in interstellar space. Erosional processes in the interstellar environment are largely unknown, but are very likely less efficient than erosion within the solar system, where a characteristic erosion rate, due largely to micrometeoritic pitting, is of the order of 1 Angstrom per year. Thus a plate etched to a depth of about 0.01 centimeters should survive recognizable at least to as distance of about 10 parsecs http://www.planetary.org/html/news/articlearchive/headlines/1998/headln-030498.html
It's nice to think that we've finally built something that will last.

RafaelAustin
2003-Feb-27, 03:38 PM
On 2003-02-27 09:29, David Hall wrote:
I believe that's an A.C. Clarke story actually. I've never read any of Voght's short stories, but I'm sure I've read that one.

Edit: Yes, I found it. The title is History Lesson, from 1949, found in his Expedition to Earth anthology.

Oops! My apologies to Mr Clarke! The book I was thinking of was A.E. van Vogt - Destination: Universe!, which also is a collection of some great short stories. And of course, the last story in Expedition to Earth is "The Sentinel", the story which became "2001: A Space Odyssey"!

Well, farewell little craft! Maybe we'll find you again someday.

2003-Feb-27, 04:22 PM
<a name="3-2-27.RAD"> page= 3-2-27.RAD aka RAD
On 2003-02-27 10:13, Squink wrote:
[quote]
On 2003-02-26 23:18, Ritchie Blackmore's cousin wrote:
8:23 A.M. FROM WHAT I GATHERED FROM THE LINK BELOW:
P10 did use thermocouples heated on the hot end by P?
plutonium?
http://www.planetary.org/html/news/articlearchive/headlines/1998/headln-030498.html
appearently {to me anyway} there does exist a thirty year degredation of the Junction
caused {my guess} by the debries fields/particles emunating from within the plutONum source.. Hmm? 30 years ? anyway i think my nomber was 24 / without {after} source removal? Whatever? {BWUW}