PDA

View Full Version : Flash-Back episodes

Charly
2006-Feb-07, 11:55 PM
These are the lamest of the lame.

The episodes that all regular viewers hate with a passion.

A chance for the viewer to see all of the series highs completely out of context.

A chance for the story writers to take a mid-season holiday.

A chance for the producers to save a few quid.

Imagine my surprise when embarking on a Stargate marathon, by the end of Season 2 there have been no less than 2 flashback episodes. Is that a record? Or do they have one each season?

Inferno
2006-Feb-08, 12:13 AM
The record must got to 'Clerks: The Animated series'. The second aired episode was a flash-back episode. And it flashed back to an episode the audience hadn't even seen! (It was aired third thanks to the geniuses at ABC).

Charly
2006-Feb-08, 12:36 AM
South Park has a good episode where the flash backs were all completely different and everyone ate ice cream.

Moose
2006-Feb-08, 12:58 AM
I liked the Simpsons "fake flashback" episode, hosted by none other than Troy McClure.

This episode had two of my favorite Simpson scenes of all time, and they were both fake outtakes:

1) Marge with my all time favorite Simpsons line ever: "Bart! Stop pestering Satan!"

2) And the scene where Burns orders Smithers to "release the robotic Richard Simmons". I can't quote my favorite line of this scene here (for obvious reasons), but the Terminator 2 reference was sweet.

Inferno
2006-Feb-08, 01:05 AM
I think that was the 178th (or thereabouts) episode spectacular.

The first Simpsons flash back episode was the one where Homer ends up in a coma from Bart's April Fools Day prank. Great episode. The opening 10 minutes of new material is classic stuff and the flash backs fit in so well. Plus they take the **** out of the laziness of the whole flash back episode concept.

Roy Batty
2006-Feb-08, 01:15 AM
Yes Stargate SG1 has been guilty of quite a few of these in the past (what long running show hasn't?) But one of the more recent (season 8), Citizen Joe stood out as a good story regardless... one of the more fannish, self referential & fun episodes (like Wormhole Extreme or Window of Opportunity). In general though, I hate em :)