PDA

View Full Version : Great monster movies 2000-2006.

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-08, 05:44 PM
The only two I can think of are Pitch Black and The Cave. The Cave was awfull while I liked Pitch Black. What am I missing? I have to be missing at least a couple good ones but besides The Descent (British flick) I can't remember anything that was at the theaters recently. What happened to the monster movie in the USA?

No Undead. Im talking about Sharks, Aliens, Cave Dwellers, Bugs, that sort of thing.

Moose
2006-Feb-08, 05:48 PM
So Cave-dwelling, alien shark-bugs are kosher, but not undead, cave-dwelling alien shark-bugs? *tsk* You're no fun.

( ;) )

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-08, 05:55 PM
So Cave-dwelling, alien shark-bugs are kosher, but not undead, cave-dwelling alien shark-bugs? *tsk* You're no fun.

( ;) )

Ha,ha yeah. They have to alive. There are so many undead monster movies they have thier own genere. Zombies and Hellspawn especially. I need to pick up Pitch Black for 10 bucks somewhere. That was actually not bad. No Aliens or Jaws but way better then the Cave. And love him or hate him it had Riddick.

Sweet! My new favorite link. Check this out: The Biology of B-Movie Monsters. (http://fathom.lib.uchicago.edu/2/21701757/) Even tells you how to bring down a giant ant! You never know.................

Whoops. Jurrasic Park 3 I guess. Don't remember when it came out though. I didn't include King Kong because its a remake.

Roy Batty
2006-Feb-08, 06:28 PM
Does Hellboy count? I thought it was great:cool:

Edit: Oh & I saw Jeepers Creepers 2 the other week, hadn't seen the 1st but... Blurrgh! :rolleyes:

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-08, 09:43 PM
Does Hellboy count? I thought it was great

No. Because although he was a monster he was also a superhero. Great superhero movie.

"Im Fireproof. Your not."
"Anybody got a powerbar?"
"I wouldn't want you to think me peculiar."
"Too late for that proffesor."
"Ah ah ah. First date, no tounge!"

Metricyard
2006-Feb-08, 09:56 PM
I think that the monster movies of the 50's were better. Those were scary.
Most monster movies made in the last 30 years are just bloody.

I'll take suspenceful over gory any day.

Lianachan
2006-Feb-09, 12:14 AM
What about werewolves? Because I'd offer up Dog Soldiers (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/dogsoldiersx01x05x02).

(Not the version that's been on US television, I mean the proper version).

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-09, 12:38 AM
What about werewolves? Because I'd offer up Dog Soldiers (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/dogsoldiersx01x05x02).

Why not? We don't seem to be coming up with many others. Technically they are alive, just cursed. I'll watch it seeing as the same group? did The Descent.

Lianachan
2006-Feb-09, 12:42 AM
Why not? We don't seem to be coming up with many others. Technically they are alive, just cursed. I'll watch it seeing as the same group? did The Descent.
Neil Marshall - great director. He'd be my choice to direct I Am Legend if it were up to me. Which, of course, it isn't! That choice is already made, anyway.

Dog Soldiers is excellent, but very full of British military slang. Also, some US critics said they couldn't tell the difference between the supporting characters (squad members).... Says more about the critics than the film if you ask me.

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-09, 12:51 AM
Dog Soldiers is excellent, but very full of British military slang. Also, some US critics said they couldn't tell the difference between the supporting characters (squad members).... Says more about the critics than the film if you ask me.

Not a problem here. I spent most of my childhood watching Dr Who and then in my 20's Red Dwarf. Im in love with Emma Watson's accent.

The critics are a trainwreck when it comes to Sci-Fi/Fantasy. They never understand the genere usually. Sometimes they are spot on and sometimes way off.

Roy Batty
2006-Feb-09, 01:06 AM
No. Because although he was a monster he was also a superhero. Great superhero movie.

"Im Fireproof. Your not."
"Anybody got a powerbar?"
"I wouldn't want you to think me peculiar."
"Too late for that proffesor."
"Ah ah ah. First date, no tounge!"

Well I was thinking more of the bad guys he was fighting but no probs, anti-heroes right:).

Yes, Dog Soldiers was excellent! (the Matrix reference had me laughing.. no spoilers:))

jrkeller
2006-Feb-09, 06:12 PM
There were several Godzilla films during that time period.

Alien vs Pedator

Doodler
2006-Feb-09, 06:21 PM
I think using the superlative "great" as a caveat is going to shrivel your candidate selections worse than Simon Cowell in a karioke bar...

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-09, 06:38 PM
I think using the superlative "great" as a caveat is going to shrivel your candidate selections worse than Simon Cowell in a karioke bar...

Yeah, there really havn't been that many recently.

Dave Mitsky
2006-Feb-10, 01:21 PM
Well I was thinking more of the bad guys he was fighting but no probs, anti-heroes right:).

Yes, Dog Soldiers was excellent! (the Matrix reference had me laughing.. no spoilers:))

I've only seen the version of "Dog Soldiers" that played on the Sci Fi Channel. Nevertheless, I was rather impressed with it.

Dave Mitsky

Moose
2006-Feb-10, 01:30 PM
Alien vs Pedator

Except for the "Jackets off in Antarctica" thing, I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

I'd suggest "The Mummy" / "Returns", but it's more of an action movie than a monster movie, plus, he (it, really) apparently draws a technical foul for being undead. *sulks* Still, a pair of movies I enjoy far more than I ever expected. (Who'd have thought Brendan Fraser could be an above-average action hero? And his goofiness seems to make his delivery of the traditional one-liners believable in a way few other action stars ever could manage.)

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-10, 02:41 PM
I'd suggest "The Mummy" / "Returns", but it's more of an action movie than a monster movie, plus, he (it, really) apparently draws a technical foul for being undead.

I love those movies. Absolutely loved the second one. I don't understand why it didn't do better. Nothing but action and great characters.

"You may have set off the destruction of the world as we know it."
"You. Lighten up. You. Big trouble!"

As to AvP, I agree it wasn't Catwoman bad but PG13 for an Aliens and Predator movie? An outrage. I also would have liked to see something original, not just an adaptation of the AvP comic book.

Lord Jubjub
2006-Feb-14, 03:21 AM
Nobody mentions the 800 pound gorilla in the room? well, maybe not in the room, but definitely of recent vintage. . .

Lord Jubjub
2006-Feb-14, 03:37 AM
Lemme see. . .Does a were-rabbit count? That thing wasn't undead.
Anacondas was released a couple of years ago (though I didn't know the snake lived in southeast Asia).
The Scorpian King is NOT undead, though it is very much supernatural.
I gotta think Monsters, Inc, counts even if it is animated.
Spy Kids 2 had lots of monsters.
The Grinch probably doesn't count (though what they did to the basic story was monstrous).

That's basically it in terms of living monster movies released this millenium.

Doodler
2006-Feb-14, 03:04 PM
Except for the "Jackets off in Antarctica" thing, I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

I'd suggest "The Mummy" / "Returns", but it's more of an action movie than a monster movie, plus, he (it, really) apparently draws a technical foul for being undead. *sulks* Still, a pair of movies I enjoy far more than I ever expected. (Who'd have thought Brendan Fraser could be an above-average action hero? And his goofiness seems to make his delivery of the traditional one-liners believable in a way few other action stars ever could manage.)

The goofiness is what does it. Too many action hero movies strive for the "Gallahad effect" and it comes off too perfect.

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-14, 03:33 PM
Nobody mentions the 800 pound gorilla in the room? well, maybe not in the room, but definitely of recent vintage. . .

It's a remake.

The goofiness is what does it. Too many action hero movies strive for the "Gallahad effect" and it comes off too perfect.

It's believable though. Reminds me of Spider Man's delivery.

Lianachan
2006-Feb-14, 03:38 PM
Since Dog Soldiers' acceptance suggests werewolf films are fair game for this thread, I'll offer Ginger Snaps. A very original interpretation of the werewolf - although the woman-coming-of-age thing was done before, in The Company Of Wolves.

Doodler
2006-Feb-14, 04:41 PM
It's believable though. Reminds me of Spider Man's delivery.

Shoulda used quotes, I meant "too perfect" more derisively than complementary. Brendan Fraser doesn't have the "shining armor" image, so when he does the hero bit, he carries over some of the silliness that real people have.

Though he didn't quite pull it off as well, I'll credit the Rock with at least trying the silly routine in one of his runs at the big screen. (The title escapes me, but its the one with Chris Walken.)

segnosaur
2006-Feb-14, 05:59 PM
Though he didn't quite pull it off as well, I'll credit the Rock with at least trying the silly routine in one of his runs at the big screen. (The title escapes me, but its the one with Chris Walken.)

The Rundown. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327850/

Dave Mitsky
2006-Feb-16, 06:34 AM
No one has mentioned "Van Helsing", probably for good reason.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/van_helsing/

Dave Mitsky

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-16, 06:16 PM
Hey, it was better then Catwoman at least.

Doodler
2006-Feb-16, 06:25 PM
Hey, it was better then Catwoman at least.

Comparing Fat Man to Little Boy, aren't we?

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-16, 11:35 PM
Comparing Fat Man to Little Boy, aren't we?

I put Van Helsing a couple of notches up from Catwoman. :)

baric
2006-Feb-17, 03:32 AM
It's a remake.

Remake or not, Peter Jackson's King Kong was definitely the cream of the monster crop for this time period.

What about the monsters in the Lord of the Rings trilogy?

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-17, 04:08 AM
Remake or not, Peter Jackson's King Kong was definitely the cream of the monster crop for this time period.

What about the monsters in the Lord of the Rings trilogy?

True, true, there hasn't been anything to come close recently except Dog Soilders and The Descent which I have not seen yet but have heard they are really good.

LOTR wasn't a monster movie. Same as Hellboy, Doesn't count. Remember the original Thing with the giant carrot monster. Great stuff. Still scary.

baric
2006-Feb-17, 04:31 AM
True, true, there hasn't been anything to come close recently except Dog Soilders and The Descent which I have not seen yet but have heard they are really good.

LOTR wasn't a monster movie. Same as Hellboy, Doesn't count. Remember the original Thing with the giant carrot monster. Great stuff. Still scary.

Well, you could argue that King Kong was not a "monster movie", but a love story.

There were some wicked-cool monsters in LOTR. Remember the giant Imperial-Walker elephants? Very monsterish.

Lianachan
2006-Feb-17, 10:57 AM
Well, you could argue that King Kong was not a "monster movie", but a love story.

There were some wicked-cool monsters in LOTR. Remember the giant Imperial-Walker elephants? Very monsterish.
I can't think of anything in LOTR that I could consider a monster. The closest approximation that springs to mind would be the Watcher in the pool at the gate to Moria.

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-17, 04:53 PM

We could but there is certainly an overwhelming consensus that King Kong is a monster movie and LOTR is not.

SolusLupus
2006-Feb-17, 05:43 PM

They got pwned by a carrot. A CARROT!

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-17, 09:46 PM
They got pwned by a carrot. A CARROT!

That was one tough carrot though!

baric
2006-Feb-17, 09:56 PM
We could but there is certainly an overwhelming consensus that King Kong is a monster movie and LOTR is not.

OK, then why don't you first compile a list of suitable monster movies and then let us choose, instead of disqualifying every other suggestion?

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-18, 01:35 AM
OK, then why don't you first compile a list of suitable monster movies and then let us choose, instead of disqualifying every other suggestion?

I havn't. I didn't. I never did!

Seriously though, it would be easier if I just defined the term. Just becuase a movie has monsters in it does not make it a monster movie. The monster has to be the star that the good guys and gals fight against:

King Kong, The Thing, Dog Soilders, Them, Alien, ect.

Not: LOTR, Hellboy, Independence Day, Men in Black, ect.