PDA

View Full Version : DVD Review: Dune - Extended Edition

Fraser
2006-Feb-08, 06:40 PM
SUMMARY: Being a messiah can't be easy. For one thing, you have to have many disadvantaged people to lead. As well, you'd need some extraordinary skills to convince them to follow and to make your leadership a success. Just becoming a messiah isn't any easier as Frank Lynch shows in Dune Extended Edition, his cinematic version of Frank Herbert's book. For here, not only do messianic images need to appear but they must do so for a society living thousands of years in the future, on another planet. And this is the story of Dune, of a distant messiah who arrives on a distant planet where people are waiting for a saviour.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/review_dune_extended_edition.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

johnmerb
2006-Feb-08, 08:18 PM
Is that David Lynch's brother?

jumbo
2006-Feb-08, 08:23 PM
Is that David Lynch's brother?
hehehe.
Though you probably wont find Lynchs name on the box. He hated the extended version and had his name removed from the project. Its directed by the rather producted 'Alan Smithee' instead. frank Herbert wasnt entirely happy with what was prduced either. Lynch IIRC favoured a miniseries but the studio wanted a movie to take on Star Wars et al.

Don Alexander
2006-Feb-08, 09:09 PM
Hasn't this been around a while already? I saw the extended TV version years ago on DVD.

D. A. Kann
TLS Tautenburg
Germany

Fraser
2006-Feb-09, 01:32 AM
It's just been released on DVD for the first time.

turbo-1
2006-Feb-09, 01:50 AM
Read the book, and read it in a weekend or less, if you can. IMHO it is not possible to bring these concepts to the movies or to a TV series. This is a seminal novel, and the complexities coantained within it cannot be communicated in a multimedia event. To producer: can I get you to finance filming for a 53-week, 1-hour series?

vonmazur
2006-Feb-09, 02:47 AM
The problem with Dune is the whole "Fuehrer Prinzip"...Many of the biggest fans of this book whom I knew in the 60's were Hippies and Radicals, now, why they loved this particular book I have no idea.....That aside, I can watch this version over and over and wonder what kind of wierd sexuality the Harkonnens were practicing....Did Lynch have a fetish for wierdoes with red hair or what??

Maybe some of the people here can enlighten me on this movie, which as has been pointed out, does not stand alone, one has to have read the book to "get it". I do not remember the sound weapons in the Novel, and there are other unanswered questions that come to mind, like how did they get off the worms?? I could go on and on with some of them, but it is idle curiosity...

Dale in Ala

Duane
2006-Feb-09, 08:21 AM
what kind of wierd sexuality the Harkonnens were practicing

Mostly Baron Harkonnen. When he took over the sister (what was her name?) he got to play......

jumbo
2006-Feb-09, 10:01 AM
It's just been released on DVD for the first time.
I think here in region2 land the extended version was released quite a while ago on dvd but this new version seems to include lots of extra features and possibly a better video quality than the early r2 release.

I do not remember the sound weapons in the Novel
They arent in the book IIRC. They are meant to represent the weirding way used by Bene Gesserit but its a concept thats hard to translate to the screen effectively.

vonmazur
2006-Feb-09, 07:35 PM
Mostly Baron Harkonnen. When he took over the sister (what was her name?) he got to play......

"Alia" played by Alicia Rowan Witt in the Movie, but that is in Children of Dune as presented on Sci Fi Channel, they did not get into the sequel in the Lynch Flick....

Dale

knealy
2006-Feb-11, 06:28 AM
Maybe I'm hallucinating but... I saw a serialized version on TV, but I don't think it had the same cast. I thought it much better than the one with Sting, which I thought was gross and confused.

vonmazur
2006-Feb-11, 04:36 PM
Good news, you are not hallucinating, it was on the Sci Fi channel, Dune, and Children of Dune was made as a mini-series a couple or years ago. These productions were more like the book, and if one is a Dune fan, more enjoyable.

Dale in Ala

knealy
2006-Feb-14, 07:23 AM
Good news, you are not hallucinating, it was on the Sci Fi channel, Dune, and Children of Dune was made as a mini-series a couple or years ago. These productions were more like the book, and if one is a Dune fan, more enjoyable.

Dale in Ala

Yeah, well this is one I'd rather see. The original with Sting, stungk.