PDA

View Full Version : DK "Universe" book - any good?

Daryl71
2006-Feb-14, 03:23 AM
Is it okay to discuss non-fiction books in this particular forum?

DK recently published the newest title in their "definitive visual guide" series, titled "Universe." It's a big hardcover book, about 500 pages long, all in color. I've browsed through it, it's visually stunning and covers a wide scope, but I'm wondering if anyone who's bought it could comment on wether it's just style and no substance. I was thinking of asking for it last Christmas but didn't beg hard enough. :)

ngc3314
2006-Feb-14, 03:47 PM
Is it okay to discuss non-fiction books in this particular forum?

DK recently published the newest title in their "definitive visual guide" series, titled "Universe." It's a big hardcover book, about 500 pages long, all in color. I've browsed through it, it's visually stunning and covers a wide scope, but I'm wondering if anyone who's bought it could comment on wether it's just style and no substance. I was thinking of asking for it last Christmas but didn't beg hard enough. :)

I managed to get a complimentary copy (after contributing some pictures - if you walk into a bookstore and their display copy is open to 47 Tucanae, I might have been there). It's a beautiful volume, with something like 2000 illustrations. There is a good bit of intellectual nourishment in there, albeit in bitesized chunks to fit into 2-page layouts. This makes it not so great for concentrated learning, but wonderful to browse in and pick up things you didn't know. I don't recall seeing any glaring errors in the text.

Gillianren
2006-Feb-14, 07:45 PM
And hey, the pretty pictures might get people interested in the actual information enough to look somewhere else. Sounds like something I'd get as a coffee table book, if I had a coffee table.

Halcyon Dayz
2006-Feb-15, 02:00 AM
DK recently published the newest title in their "definitive visual guide" series, titled "Universe." It's a big hardcover book, about 500 pages long, all in color.
Sounds like the ultimate coffee table book too me. :D