PDA

View Full Version : Best actor in a Science fiction or Space movie ?

Launch window
2006-Feb-14, 09:01 AM
My vote may go to Tom Hanks in for his serious character role Apollo 13 and being a famous voice of the ToyStory animation

Other notable people who might get my winning vote would be

Sigourney Weaver in her many sci-fi roles such as Galaxy quest, Alien & Aliens, Ghostbusters

and

Morgan Freeman for his parts in Deep Impact, Dreamcatcher, Batman Begins, and Outbreak

novaderrik
2006-Feb-14, 11:52 AM
William Shatner for his rivetting role in Airplane 2.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Feb-14, 02:47 PM
Harrison Ford in Blade Runner

gethen
2006-Feb-14, 02:58 PM
Jody Foster in Contact. Jody Foster in most anything.

Argos
2006-Feb-14, 03:06 PM
Leonard Nimoy, Jonathan Harris, Guy Williams, Sigourney Weaver, Harrison Ford.

Doodler
2006-Feb-14, 03:14 PM
Andreas Katsulas, for G'Kar in Babylon 5

AGN Fuel
2006-Feb-15, 05:58 AM
William Shatner for his rivetting role in Airplane 2.

"No bridge?? Why aren't I informed of these things!!"

One of my favourite gags, any movie.

Lianachan
2006-Feb-15, 10:06 AM
Ahmed Best in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-16, 06:17 PM
John Travolta when responding to a question about how he thought Battlefield Earth was recieved by the fans.

ggremlin
2006-Feb-16, 07:02 PM
James Earl Jones, 4 movies and he didn't even show up!

SkepticJ
2006-Feb-17, 11:55 PM
Harrison Ford, LeVar Burton, Patrick Stewart, Harland Williams and Milla Jovovich.

teddyv
2006-Feb-18, 12:01 AM
John Travolta when responding to a question about how he thought Battlefield Earth was recieved by the fans.

Off topic, but I saw a movie set sign a couple weeks ago in Vancouver labelled "BE2". Apparently Battlefield Earth 2 is in fact in production.

SkepticJ
2006-Feb-18, 12:10 AM
Off topic, but I saw a movie set sign a couple weeks ago in Vancouver labelled "BE2". Apparently Battlefield Earth 2 is in fact in production.

Isn't the Church of Scientology rich enough already?

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-18, 01:40 AM
Harrison Ford, LeVar Burton, Patrick Stewart, Harland Williams and Milla Jovovich.

"Plays Halp!"

Your kidding me. It's the end of the world as we know it. I should have went into show biz. Talk about no consequences when your really, really, really, really wrong. Kind of like being a weatherman.

Big Brother Dunk
2006-Feb-18, 03:30 PM
Harrison Ford in Blade Runner
Agreed.

Moose
2006-Feb-18, 09:58 PM
Andreas Katsulas, for G'Kar in Babylon 5

Agreed, and that's not (just) sentiment on my part. I would have said the same last month.

Pip
2006-Feb-18, 11:35 PM
Patrick Stewart in Star Trek: First Contact.

PhantomWolf
2006-Feb-19, 02:46 AM
Actors - Patrick Stewart, Harrison Ford, Nathan Fillion.
Actresses - Sigourney Weaver, Summer Glau, Milla Jovovich

For Fantasty Movies...

The entire cast of LtoRs

Lianachan
2006-Feb-19, 08:49 AM
The entire cast of LtoRs

Seriously? I was joking about Ahmed Best (because of his name and how hated his character is) - is this a joke too?

EDITED-IN COMMENT: Not that I thought they were all terrible, I thought they demonstrated the entire spectrum of performance - from the very, very good to the downright dreadful.

Melusine
2006-Feb-19, 10:09 AM
Farrah Fawcett in Logan's Run.

Kidding! :D
I'll go with Sigourney Weaver instead.

Parrothead
2006-Feb-19, 08:18 PM
Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Leslie Nielson, Anne Francis, Harrison Ford, Sigourney Weaver, Robby the Robot (scene stealer). Honourable mention: Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis... "Be afraid. Be very afraid." ;)

PhantomWolf
2006-Feb-20, 02:55 AM
Seriously?

Well perhaps not the entire cast, but the list is still pretty long. And note that I did say fantasy. Unfortunately in most fantasy movies the acting sucks (remember things like First Knight, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Camalot, Swords and Sorcery, Amazons, Dragonheart (1&2), Reign of Fire, Conan the Barbarian, Red Sonja, Kull, Willow, Labyrinth, Neverending Story, The Beastmaster and and Dungeons and Dragons) probably because they are often seen as kid's stories or bash and slash without a story, so they just don't bother. Acters like Sean Austin, Andy Sercas, Orlando Bloom, Viggo Mortisen, Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving, Dominic Monaghan, Billy Boyd and Miranda Otto are a majorly refreshing change in the genre.

SkepticJ
2006-Feb-20, 04:43 AM
Patrick Stewart in Star Trek: First Contact.

Oh yes! One of my favorite Trek movies, partially for his acting.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Feb-20, 11:37 AM
Edward James Olmos as Adama in BSG

The Incredible Bloke
2006-Feb-20, 02:48 PM
The answer is: Chuck Norris. I've been informed by email that I should answer "Chuck Norris" to all best-actor related questions, or I will suffer a roundhouse kick that will shatter every bone in my body and launch my pitiful remains into orbit...

But second-best is Patrick Stewart, even though I don't really like Star trek I have to admit he was a great actor in that series. He's just a great actor period. The main guy on the new battlestar galactica is good too.

Doodler
2006-Feb-20, 04:21 PM
Agreed, and that's not (just) sentiment on my part. I would have said the same last month.

Yeah, this was part of the reason I was kinda shocked to hear about his passing.

He did consistently for five plus years what has been done on only extremely rare occassions in one off roles. He put on a top shelf performance with almost nothing but dialogue to work with. The only other time I've ever seen an actor break through the prosthetics so perfectly was Lou Gossett Jr playing Jerriba in Enemy Mine. Other than that, its only been Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca and Kevin Peter Hall as "Harry" in Harry and the Hendersons that's managed to carry a character through costume well.

Metricyard
2006-Feb-20, 11:05 PM
I would like to give votes to Bruce Davison and Kevin Conway in the movie "Lathe of Heaven" - 1980 version. The special effects were not great, they were not even good. But the acting was superb, at least to me. A great flick, worth a watch or two. (or 3 or 4) :)

mike alexander
2006-Feb-20, 11:21 PM
I would also go with Jodie Foster in 'Contact'.

Although Patrick Stewart in 'American Dad' might slip in under the SF wire.