PDA

View Full Version : Sky & Telescope Magazine Sells Out!!!

Kevn
2006-Feb-14, 03:39 PM
In case you didn't know, S&T sold out to another company. Must be a
good deal - the new company is only a few months old...

http://skyandtelescope.com/aboutsky/pressreleases/article_1677_1.asp

Here's my take on the new version...

Is this new issue you will find:

Your Horoscope!!! - 40 pages of wonderful ways to read your signs!!!

Montly columns by Art Bell and Whitley Streiber!!!

Ads for Telscopes by Wal-Mart!!

And included in every issue - pages upon pages of ads for Tarot
readings, Psychics, Mystics, and UFOlogists!!!

Get yours today!!

hhEb09'1
2006-Feb-14, 05:16 PM
Get yours today!!Is there a basis for your criticism? I'm unfamiliar with the new owners, but the S&T link said the old owners seemed to be OK with them.

ToSeek
2006-Feb-14, 06:08 PM
I Googled on New Track Media to see what sort of track record they had but could find virtually nothing about them. So it's hard to say what's going to happen, as contrasted with finding that NTM alread publishes, say, the Weekly World News.

Kevn
2006-Feb-14, 06:10 PM
Is there a basis for your criticism? I'm unfamiliar with the new owners, but the S&T link said the old owners seemed to be OK with them.

It was a humorous take at what could happen if things went bad.

Thats' all. Just a joke. Sarcasm. :)

Doodler
2006-Feb-14, 10:23 PM
About New Track Media

New Track Media LLC is wholly owned by BVK Holdings LLC, an entity formed by Boston Ventures and Stephen J. Kent for the purpose of building up a premier consumer enthusiast publishing platform in a range of special-interest subject areas. Astronomy and other science-related periodicals represent one focal point, but additional clusters of properties in other areas are also being explored. New Track Media and BVK operate from offices in Cincinnati, Ohio, which is where the firm has a corporate development team.

Little blurb from the article. Screams "shell company" to me.

soylentgreen
2006-Feb-14, 11:09 PM
Here's my take on the new version...
Is this new issue you will find:
Your Horoscope!!! - 40 pages of wonderful ways to read your signs!!!

Phew! Six decades and still no horoscopes in The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, thank goodness. I haven't had a subscription all that time, of course...just since '89.

But they do offer an awesome "doomsday clock" t-shirt...the latest design is 7 minutes to midnight, baby!
I got my shirt in the mid 90's when the face was 14 minutes to midnight...a much more optimistic time apparently.

Little blurb from the article. Screams "shell company" to me.
I agree. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a drop in overall quality.

Melusine
2006-Feb-14, 11:10 PM
I Googled on New Track Media to see what sort of track record they had but could find virtually nothing about them. So it's hard to say what's going to happen, as contrasted with finding that NTM alread publishes, say, the Weekly World News.
New Track Media is just a holding company of Boston Ventures, which the S&T article linked to.

Here's who they are and you can click on their portfolio:

The firm is focused on middle-market media, information and publishing, entertainment, and communications opportunities. Boston Ventures typically acts as the lead investor in its investments, which include leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, growth equity, and industry roll-ups. Notable portfolio companies include: American Media, Inc. (The National Enquirer), Billboard Publications, Continental Cablevision, Marshall & Swift, Motown Records, River City Broadcasting, Six Flags Entertainment, Survey Sampling, Inc., and Vue Entertainment.
http://www.bostonventures.com/site/

Since they're keeping the editor and president, there probably won't be any drastic changes. I answered a survey of theirs not long and said they have too many ad pages.

Celestial Mechanic
2006-Feb-15, 10:13 PM
New Track Media is just a holding company of Boston Ventures, which the S&T article linked to. Here's who they are and you can click on their portfolio:(Emphasis mine)
The firm is focused on middle-market media, information and publishing, entertainment, and communications opportunities. Boston Ventures typically acts as the lead investor in its investments, which include leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, growth equity, and industry roll-ups. Notable portfolio companies include: American Media, Inc. (The National Enquirer), Billboard Publications, Continental Cablevision, Marshall & Swift, Motown Records, River City Broadcasting, Six Flags Entertainment, Survey Sampling, Inc., and Vue Entertainment.

AHH-OOGAHH!! AHH-OOGAHH!!
We need a smilie of a red flag being raised! I would sure hate to see Sky and Telescope turn into bird-cage liner!

Enzp
2006-Feb-16, 08:10 AM
It is just an investment to them. If i were selling publications, I wouldn't turn my nose up at National Enquirer. WHat has greater sales? A publishing company can produce something like an archaeology magazine and also a cooking magazine without adding recipes to the former and ancient Roman table setting guides to the latter. Geez, give them a chance: investors don't always have an agenda.

Doodler
2006-Feb-16, 03:40 PM
AHH-OOGAHH!! AHH-OOGAHH!!
We need a smilie of a red flag being raised! I would sure hate to see Sky and Telescope turn into bird-cage liner!

Though that particular "asset" certainly has its issues, if you look at the rest of them as a gestalt, the impression that comes to my mind is kinda light and fluffy "entertainment" rags.

Even if that one were not there, I would have some concerns.

Enzp
2006-Feb-17, 02:05 AM
Perhaps they want to start tapping into a more upscale market than the other stuff currently appeals to. I recall that when I subscribed to Flying magazine, all of a sudden the junk mail I started getting was way more upscale than what I was used to. Even MacDOnalds experimented with sit-down restaurants.

Dragon Star
2006-Feb-17, 02:45 AM
Is there a basis for your criticism? I'm unfamiliar with the new owners, but the S&T link said the old owners seemed to be OK with them.

PFT! Millions of dollars makes anyone OK in my book.:D

P. Edward Murray
2006-Feb-17, 03:02 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about it..good excuse to e-mail my friend Fred Schaaf and see what he says....

Parrothead
2006-Feb-17, 02:31 PM
Like others have stated, they are keeping the editor and president, so changes shouldn't be too bad. I'm just wondering, if this can compare to Astronomy ending up under Kalmbach's umbrella, back in the 80's.

Romanus
2006-Feb-21, 03:20 PM
To echo what others have said, as long as they're keeping the staff we should see no problem. I hope.