PDA

View Full Version : Andreas Katsulas has died ( played G'Kar on Babylon 5)

Launch window
2006-Feb-15, 09:12 AM
We were just talking about this actor in another thread, this man was a great actor best-known for playing G'Kar on Babylon 5 and perhaps the one-armed man in the Harrison Ford feature film version of The Fugitive, He was 59 years of age his talent will be greatly missed, my sympathy goes out to this man's family & friends. Andreas Katsulas also played a numbers of parts in StarTrek and Millennium.

Count Zero
2006-Feb-15, 10:08 AM
I am shocked, stunned, and overwhelmed with sadness. His soliloquies as G'kar were my very favorite moments in Babylon 5. I have always hoped that there would be more B5 just so I could hear one more.

I know that he did not write the words, but his rich, strong and subtle voice made them unforgettable:

"It was the end of the Earth year 2260, and the war had paused, suddenly and unexpectedly. All around us, it was as if the universe were holding its breath. Waiting... All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments of revelation. This had the feeling of both... G'Quon wrote, 'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"

- J. Michael Straczinski, "Z'ha'dum"

"The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice.
The language is not Narn or Human or Centauri or Gaim or Minbari.

It speaks in the language of hope. It speaks in the language of trust.
It speaks in the language of strength, and the language of compassion.
It is the language of the heart and the language of the soul.
But always it is the same voice.

It is the voice of our ancestors speaking through us.
And the voice of our inheritors waiting to be born.
It is the small, still voice that says we are One.

No matter the blood, no matter the skin,
No matter the world, no matter the star,
We are One.
No matter the pain, no matter the darkness,
No matter the loss, no matter the fear.
We are One.

Here, gathered together in common cause
We agree to recognize this singular truth and this singular rule:
That we must be kind to one another.

Because each voice enriches us and ennobles us,
And each voice lost diminishes us.
We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation,
The fire that will light the way to a better future.

We are One."

- J. Michael Straczinski, "The Paragon of Animals"

Roy Batty
2006-Feb-15, 10:17 AM
Sad news indeed:sad:

Moose
2006-Feb-15, 12:46 PM
Ack!

DO NOT WANT!!!!

I've always enjoyed Andreas Katsulas's work: in Trek, in those two episodes of Hunter, and especially in B5.

He will be deeply missed.

Peteman
2006-Feb-15, 02:18 PM
Great, first the guy who played Franklin, and now G'kar.

Who's next? Bruce Boxleitner? Jerry Doyle? Bill Mumy? Peter Jurasik?

scotsman
2006-Feb-15, 02:30 PM
A sad day indeed - I've been buying hr official B5 script books and despite being years since Iwatched B5 seriously I can still hear G'Kar's voice strong and clear ... terrible to think its now silenced for ever ....

mid
2006-Feb-15, 02:34 PM
That's really saddening. Katsulas was a really nice guy, as well as a great actor. Peteman, not to make you further depressed, but you've forgotten about the late Tim Choate, who played Zathras.

Metricyard
2006-Feb-15, 03:17 PM
A sad day. :(

It's funny to think that G'Kar was my most hated character when I first started waching B5 would end up being one of my favorites. He was such a powerful actor.

A sad day indeed. :(

Sigma_Orionis
2006-Feb-15, 04:23 PM
Really a shame, he was an excellent Actor.

Doodler
2006-Feb-15, 04:43 PM
Great, first the guy who played Franklin, and now G'kar.

Who's next? Bruce Boxleitner? Jerry Doyle? Bill Mumy? Peter Jurasik?

IIRC, Peter had a heart attack during the series, a mild one, though. Not to be cynical, but if I were going to call one, I would say Stephen Furst. He's been fighting with diabetes and his weight for a long time. His sister died during the series from uncontrolled diabetes, and if you watched from season 1 to season 5, the guy melted over a hundred pounds off from serious dieting after her passing sometime in season 3.

As for Andreas, damn, we lost a good one. :(

Jim
2006-Feb-15, 05:03 PM
What was impressive was the range he had under all that makeup. It could so easily have become a mask, but instead, he used it to great advanatge.

ToSeek
2006-Feb-15, 05:18 PM
It takes a really good actor to project that much personality from beneath all that makeup. Only obituaries I've found so far:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new.php?id=2206

http://www.nowplayingmag.com/content/view/3160/2/

Peteman
2006-Feb-16, 09:44 PM
That's really saddening. Katsulas was a really nice guy, as well as a great actor. Peteman, not to make you further depressed, but you've forgotten about the late Tim Choate, who played Zathras.

Didn't know about that.

Van Rijn
2006-Feb-16, 10:48 PM
*sigh* Not much to say, it just sad. I remember him from a number of roles, science fiction related and otherwise.

Count Zero
2006-Feb-17, 03:52 PM
Here (http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17526) is a eulogy by J. Michael Straczinsky, creator of Babylon 5 and the author of the previously cited quotes.

Van Rijn
2006-Feb-17, 09:34 PM
Here (http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17526) is a eulogy by J. Michael Straczinsky, creator of Babylon 5 and the author of the previously cited quotes.

Spooky. "Sleeping in Light" kept running through my head as I read that.

Doodler
2006-Feb-20, 04:46 PM

Andreas is gone...and G'Kar with him, because no one else can ever play that role, or ever will.

I will miss him terribly.

This guy's a class act. Nice to see in the sickening industry that marginalizes good science fiction in favor of marketable tripe.

Eroica
2006-Feb-20, 05:49 PM
He was memorable as G'kar. I wonder how much he influenced the development of the character. In the opening few episodes of Babylon 5 he and Londo were like the two ugly sisters in a Christmas panto, but by the end G'kar has become the noblest character in the entire series.

Metricyard
2006-Feb-20, 10:59 PM
Spooky. "Sleeping in Light" kept running through my head as I read that.

Spooky. I was thinking the same thing.
Wonder if JMS thought the same thing? Gotta be scary to write something that ends up happening in the real world.

publiusr
2006-Mar-08, 09:53 PM
I shall miss him and Kolchak McGavin as well.