PDA

View Full Version : New design for Universe Today

Fraser
2006-Feb-16, 02:20 AM
I'm in the process of redesiging Universe Today, bit by bit. I've done a new sample design for one article, so you can take a look at it here:
http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/backwards_planets.html

Let me know if you have any opinions, compared to previous designs. One cool thing is that I'm able to have a different design if you try to print out the article. Check it out.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Feb-16, 05:13 AM
Where's the discuss button?

jkmccrann
2006-Feb-16, 05:36 AM
Looks great! Thumbs UP! :):):):):)

Fraser
2006-Feb-16, 06:44 AM
Oh, good point, I'm trying to make the comments themselves appear back in the article. Like most blogs. If I can't make that happen, I'll bring the "Discuss" button back.

mahesh
2006-Feb-16, 02:56 PM
Fraser
Thanks
It's brilliant.
The picture doesn't superimpose partially, on the text any more if printing the article.

Thanks a buuuuunch

Argos
2006-Feb-16, 03:04 PM
Looks great! I would use a smaller, sans serif font in the menu (like the fonts in the UT logo itself).

antoniseb
2006-Feb-18, 12:11 AM
I like it. The large format is nice.

Philip A
2006-Feb-21, 12:44 AM
Yep. Thumbs up!

Wolverine
2006-Feb-22, 02:12 AM
Ditto that. I like the new font action as well.

ToSeek
2006-Feb-24, 07:12 PM
I think I'd prefer a serif font for the text, but overall it's a cleaner, brighter layout.

mickal555
2006-Feb-26, 11:17 AM
Yep- thumbs up :D

justdroppedbytosaythis
2006-Jun-16, 02:02 PM
Things are looking cool. Good to see images back to RSS feeds too. But I'm missing one very important feature: the link to a larger sized image UT used to have. Please re-implement that!

Just dropped by to say this

Fraser
2006-Jun-16, 02:28 PM
I know, I know. I want that back too. I'm just figuring out a way to do it.

Okosar
2006-Jun-28, 03:57 AM
Is the site redesign related to the fact that webmasters using the site's feature to put the Universe Today stories on their website haven't seen story updates since June 7?

This is a wonderful feature, and I hope that it works again soon.

Thanks for all the hard work in making this a great resource!

ioresult
2006-Jun-28, 05:49 PM
What's the deal with the small tiny images on the main page? Can you bring back the bigger ones, please?

Fraser
2006-Jun-28, 09:53 PM
They're coming back, sort of. People wanted to have the clickable versions that show an enlarged version of the image. So all the new ones are medium sized, and you can see an ever bigger version.

Okosar
2006-Jun-29, 01:01 PM
...haven't seen story updates since June 7...

Okay, perhaps it was just my page, but the stories are updated now. Formatting is a little different on my particular page, but I hope to tweak it so it works with my layout again.

Thanks for all your work!

ioresult
2006-Jun-29, 02:11 PM
Ahh, that's better! The tiny images yesterday were an extreme!
Thanks Fraser.

markg85
2006-Jun-29, 02:21 PM
They're coming back, sort of. People wanted to have the clickable versions that show an enlarged version of the image. So all the new ones are medium sized, and you can see an ever bigger version.

hmm.. my request is filled in :D thanx fraser :)
but about the 100% width.. it`s not a good idea.. make it 95% or the same as the top black bar.

another suggestion.. i think it`s better to center the images in the news posts..
and another one... maybe it`s a good idea to make the threads where those news posts get in are made publicly avalible to write comments in (without the need to register).... would be cool :)

and another one.. maybe add a post comment button that expands a form where anyone can post a comment. (so that form is expanding below the news post!! not in the forum (quick comment))

if i think of other idea`s i will post them here :)

publiusr
2006-Jun-29, 10:24 PM
Red state planets vs Blue state planets.

What did you expect?

Okosar
2006-Jun-30, 05:19 AM
I'm not even sure if I'm posting these messages in the right place or if anyone uses the javascript option to put stories on their webpages anymore, but I have had difficulty with this recently.

I've tried tweaking the formatting with the provided CSS parameters, but nothing seems to make the stories display sequentially. Some of the stories appear not under the previous one, but they seem to catch the picture of the story above it and so are offset to the right.

I'd show you, but I don't want to spam the board with my personal site's URL. Is anyone else having this problem, and is it related to the new way stories are being formatted on the main site? Anything I can do to fix it on my end?

Thanks for considering this.

EDIT: P.S. I just noted that the Society for Popular Astronomy site (used as an example by UT of how the syndicated content can be used) has a problem very similar to mine. Since the UT javascript page points to it, here is the URL http://www.popastro.com/news/home.htm Thought it might help to see it. Thanks again.

Fraser
2006-Jun-30, 04:19 PM
Hmm, that's a problem on my end. I'll try and figure out a way to make it display properly.

Okosar
2006-Jul-07, 07:04 AM
Thanks for looking into this Fraser! I know I'm not the only one who loves spreading the Universe Today across the Internet. I look forward to having those stories display again in a more clean and readable form.

Okosar
2006-Jul-26, 10:32 PM
I know Fraser is working on the above display issues from the Universe Today end, but in the meantime, has anyone here found a way to make the stories display properly my making changes on their own webpage code? I'm not an HTML/CSS wiz, but I am a tinkerer. I haven't been able to figure anything out yet, though.

Thanks in advance!