PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Metal-Rich Cloud Revealed

Fraser
2006-Feb-16, 04:45 AM
SUMMARY: Astronomers have used the light from a distant quasar to discover a metal-rich hydrogen cloud that would have otherwise been invisible; the quasar is 9 billion light-years away, but the cloud is only 6.3 billion light-years away. By analyzing the spectrum of this galaxy, astronomers have discovered that it contains 4 times more metal than what's contained in our Sun. If more of these clouds are discovered, it might help account for why the Universe seems to contain less metal that cosmologists have predicted it should.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/metal_rich_galaxies.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

antoniseb
2006-Feb-16, 12:56 PM
This is an interesting story. I'm guessing that this implies that the light from this quasar is coming to us through a part of a galaxy that had recently had a lot of supernova activity as the light passed through it. Too bad we can't determine how extensive this cloud is.

Jerry
2006-Feb-16, 02:34 PM
"Missing Metal" is kind of a backdoor argument. There has been much higher ratios of metals (metals meaning about everything except helium and hydrogen), in very distant quasars than BB theory predicted. The 'missing' metals' are in galaxies found at intervening distances. Finding a metal-rich cloud between a very distant quasar and the local universe only provides a partial answer to the real question: Why are quasars so high in metal content cosmic seconds after the BB?

This piece of data also makes it difficult for "Arpian" theoriests, myself included, who argue quasars are badly displaced in space and time. I can live with this one, because a quasar with an intrinsic redshift of two and a cosmic reshift of four could be behind a cloud with a cosmic redshift of four.