PDA

View Full Version : 10 Best Sci-Fi Films That Never Existed

soylentgreen
2006-Feb-17, 02:29 AM
These kind of lists are a dime-a-dozen on the internet nowadays, but this one has some pretty valid observations.
10 Best Sci-Fi Films That Never Existed (http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/film/scifi.html)

I personally appreciated their observation concerning the HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE film...
There was a movie that perfectly captured the Douglas Adams experience, the combination of bitter sarcasm and sharp imagination, the droll British wit and whale-exploding slapstick that infused his novels. And that movie was Shaun of the Dead.

ps. I sure hope that the HALF LIFE/Quentin Tarantino thing is just a joke! My tenuous respect for Hollywood wouldn't survive it.

peter eldergill
2006-Feb-17, 03:06 AM
An excellent read...thanks for the link.

I would like to add Isaac Asimaov's "Foundation" to the list...preferably not starring Wil Smith

L8R

Pete

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-17, 03:10 AM
And that movie was Shaun of the Dead.[/i]

I don't think it lived up to the billing. Not enough comedy and too much horror. It was more like a horror show with some comedy. I was expecting Shawn to take out a lot more Zombies then he did.

Sweet link though. Good find.

peter eldergill
2006-Feb-17, 03:14 AM
I was expecting Shawn to take out a lot more Zombies then he did.

True, but he took them out with a cricket bat! (and bad '70's records)

L8R

Pete

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-17, 03:24 AM
True, but he took them out with a cricket bat! (and bad '70's records)

True, true, still a great movie.

Number 10 on that link. I forgot all about that trailer for Alien 3. The guys right. They made us believe the Aliens were coming to Earth.

"...And then the aliens start breeding in the miles of dank sewers that tangle under the bustling streets, the creatures boiling up out of manholes by the hundreds, cut to pieces by Marines with pulse rifles and maybe in the climax the Army has to nuke the city."

Never been so disapointed.

Inferno
2006-Feb-17, 07:25 AM
How about "AI" directed by Kubrick rather than Steven "sentimental until you're sick" Speilberg?

mid
2006-Feb-17, 09:38 AM
Has anyone else actually read Gibson's Aliens 3 script? It's absolute rubbish.

Dawn of the Dead works perfectly well with Zombies, thanks. There's no need to remake it in space. For those that haven't read it, the script has those nasty scientists turning "alien"ness into an airborne virus which runs amok in a shopping mall onboard a space station. There are a few nice set pieces (the best one being a gravity-booted fight on the outside of the station that ended up being grafted almost intact into Star Trek 8) but in comparison even AVP treats the series with respect.

Swift
2006-Feb-17, 04:11 PM
I did like the idea of a Hitchhiker's directed by Tim Burton or especially Terry Gilliam.

Sigma_Orionis
2006-Feb-17, 04:32 PM
I think I'd like to see a movie version of Phillip K Dick's "Vulcan's Hammer"

Parrothead
2006-Feb-17, 05:47 PM
Hmmm... How about Day of the Invasion of the Bodysnatchers Triffids! Watch the Triffids and Pods fight for supremacy! ;) (ducking and running).

Romanus
2006-Feb-18, 05:51 PM
Great article.

Let me add "The Forever War." I remember hearing a while back that they wanted to make a movie out of it, and it would be great--unfortunately, it would have to compete with "Starship Troopers."

Defender
2006-Feb-19, 12:26 PM
That list's awful; there's nothing new in there at all. The guy who wrote it comes across as a bit of a nerd- the bad kind of nerd, unfortunately. He seems to just want the same five or six directors to direct everything, and to make new films just like the old ones he likes. God forbid anyone should try to innovate or try anything new!

parallaxicality
2006-Feb-19, 02:02 PM
Anyone who disses Alien 3 (the deepest and most misunderstood of the Alien sequels), says that Robocop would have been better with more violence and less politics, has no clue what the "real" Alien3 actually was (a story about a wooden planet inhabited by monks), thinks there could possibly be a decent movie made out of Doom (Hello? No actual characters!), and, above all, in a list of scifi misses, fails to note the biggest travesty of all (the adaptatation of I Robot by Harlan Ellison being ditched in favour of a poached script with the name stuck on it) does not deserve my respect.

And rumour has it that the Foundation series is being adapted as a two-parter called Foundation and Second Foundation.

Big Brother Dunk
2006-Feb-19, 04:30 PM
An interesting read and an outstanding link!

I've bookmarked it for further perusal. Thanks.http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing32.gif

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-19, 06:02 PM
fails to note the biggest travesty of all (the adaptatation of I Robot by Harlan Ellison being ditched in favour of a poached script with the name stuck on it) does not deserve my respect.

LOL. LMAO. Your pretty passionate about all this to end up getting the writter for I Robot wrong. I Robot was written by Isaac Asimov.

Alien 3 sucked compared to the first 2. They blew it right at the start killing off Hicks, Bishope and Newt. Everybody loved those characters. I agree the special edition is loads better but thats not what we saw in the theaters.

parallaxicality
2006-Feb-19, 06:09 PM
I was talking about the movie script adapted by Harlan Ellison years ago but never filmed. Of course the original short story collection was Asimov's.

peter eldergill
2006-Feb-20, 02:45 AM
And rumour has it that the Foundation series is being adapted as a two-parter called Foundation and Second Foundation.

So for once in my life, let me get what I want...Lord knows, it would be the first time...

(Who can tell me what song this is and by whom?)

Seriously parralax, are you making this up??? I hope it's real!!!! My favourite book...by far...ever (and I do know that it's not the best written book ever but it is still my favourite..I've read it about 6 times at least...and given it as gifts many times!)

L8R

Pete

Paul Beardsley
2006-Feb-20, 07:49 AM
I was talking about the movie script adapted by Harlan Ellison years ago but never filmed. Of course the original short story collection was Asimov's.
Harlan Ellison's screenplay of I, Robot was actually serialised in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction magazine back in (IIRC) the 80s. I didn't read it all, but it certainly looked better than what we got. Well, anything would!

Not wanting to get into an argument, but I thought James_Digriz's post was rather rude.

Dave Mitsky
2006-Feb-20, 09:07 AM
Great article.

Let me add "The Forever War." I remember hearing a while back that they wanted to make a movie out of it, and it would be great--unfortunately, it would have to compete with "Starship Troopers."

I'd love to see a good movie version (i.e., the exact opposite of "Starship Troopers") of "The Forever War".

Dave Mitsky

parallaxicality
2006-Feb-20, 10:18 AM
Paul Beardsley: Not wanting to get into an argument, but I thought James_Digriz's post was rather rude.

It certianly was. The irony is that I actually think that The Stainless Steel Rat is one of the great unfilmed scifi novels.

Peter Eldergill:Seriously parralax, are you making this up??? I hope it's real!!!! My favourite book...by far...ever (and I do know that it's not the best written book ever but it is still my favourite..I've read it about 6 times at least...and given it as gifts many times!)

I am not making it up; the project was started in the early 2000s by 20th Century Fox. The good news: they hired Elizabeth helmer Shakhar Kapur to direct. The bad news: they hired Jeff Vintar (author of the original script that became the Will Smith I Robot movie) to write. Recent news on the project is thin on the ground, and at present it seems to be stuck in development hell.

Lianachan
2006-Feb-20, 11:25 AM
I'm sure it's not an issue, but shouldn't you have warned that the site (and, in fact, the very article) you linked to is packed to the brim with profanity?

eburacum45
2006-Feb-20, 11:30 AM
I read a Watchmen script that would be quite good as a dark film...

hmm, that reminds me of another failure- Stallone as Judge Dredd. Should never have taken his helmet off for a start.

Defender
2006-Feb-21, 01:00 PM

I've read that; it's interesting, but I'm not sure it would have made a very good film. It's very episodic (which I suppose is understandable given that it's consciously modelled on 'Citizen Kane'), and the end is rushed, confusing, and possibly literally unfilmable.

Fram
2006-Feb-21, 01:17 PM
Great article.

No idea about the movie plans, but it was made into a very decent comic trilogy in the nineties (the script actually written by Haldeman himself), reedited in one book (http://www.dupuis.com/servlet/jpecat?pgm=VIEW_ALBUM&lang=UK&OUVRAGE_ID=2573) recently. Only available (AFAIK) in French and Dutch though. Also the sequels "A separate War" and "Forever Free" are given this treatment (http://www.hbl.be/showEenBespreking.asp?id=174).

The same authors have also serialised in comic form another of Haldeman's books, "Buying Time", in another series, "Dallas Barr".

This is a (rather ugly) site (http://www.foreverwar.fr.st/) about their collaboration, again in French.

Sorry for the OT post, I hope it was nevertheless interesting.

Relmuis
2006-Feb-21, 02:22 PM
The book I would like to see made into a film is "The Fountains of Paradise" by Arthur Clarke.

There is another book by Clarke, of which I don't know the English title, about a ship sailing a sea of dust on the Moon, and sinking, after which the passengers (most of them sightseeers from Earth) have to be rescued. This book, too, seems highly filmable to me; it was one of my favourites, but I fear that the central idea has become obsolete by now.

Romanus
2006-Feb-21, 03:05 PM
<<No idea about the movie plans, but it was made into a very decent comic trilogy in the nineties (the script actually written by Haldeman himself), reedited in one book recently. Only available (AFAIK) in French and Dutch though. Also the sequels "A separate War" and "Forever Free" are given this treatment.>>

There was an English adaptation of the comic; I had the good fortune of seeing it on the shelves years ago, and at a regular bookstore, no less. To this day I regret not buying it when I had the chance. :(

Fram
2006-Feb-21, 03:58 PM
The book I would like to see made into a film is "The Fountains of Paradise" by Arthur Clarke.

There is another book by Clarke, of which I don't know the English title, about a ship sailing a sea of dust on the Moon, and sinking, after which the passengers (most of them sightseeers from Earth) have to be rescued. This book, too, seems highly filmable to me; it was one of my favourites, but I fear that the central idea has become obsolete by now.

"A fall of moondust" (http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/nonfiction/moondust.htm). I like it a lot as well, even though the science is (as we know now) incorrect.

Doodler
2006-Feb-21, 06:32 PM
That list's awful; there's nothing new in there at all. The guy who wrote it comes across as a bit of a nerd- the bad kind of nerd, unfortunately. He seems to just want the same five or six directors to direct everything, and to make new films just like the old ones he likes. God forbid anyone should try to innovate or try anything new!

Though I found some of his humor worth a chuckle, I think he about skipped the sanity line when he declared the combined Star Wars trilogies as better than Lord of the Rings. Even worse, basing his source material for his Lord of the Rings analysis on that rotoscoped travesty back in the seventies... I almost hoped it was satire, but enough of his other material speaks of too much time spent alone in front of a monitor behind a locked door to give much hope.

redshifter
2006-Feb-21, 10:54 PM
I'd love to see a good movie version (i.e., the exact opposite of "Starship Troopers") of "The Forever War".

Dave Mitsky

I'm on board as well! My favorite SF novel! Would be especially relevant today considering the current political environment.

Lord Jubjub
2006-Feb-22, 02:07 AM
Though I found some of his humor worth a chuckle, I think he about skipped the sanity line when he declared the combined Star Wars trilogies as better than Lord of the Rings. Even worse, basing his source material for his Lord of the Rings analysis on that rotoscoped travesty back in the seventies... I almost hoped it was satire, but enough of his other material speaks of too much time spent alone in front of a monitor behind a locked door to give much hope.

I quite certain it's satire. Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" did not take place on a space station!

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-22, 06:20 AM
Not wanting to get into an argument, but I thought James_Digriz's post was rather rude.

How so? I thought he was trying to say Harlan Elllison wrote I Robot. I thought it was funny that he was so passionate and then got the author wrong. I see now he meant the screenplay but nontheless I expect to be called on things like that as well if it looks like I made a mistake.

Anyways I meant no offense and was laughing with him and not at him as the expression goes.

mid
2006-Feb-22, 03:05 PM
Alien 3 sucked compared to the first 2. They blew it right at the start killing off Hicks, Bishope and Newt. Everybody loved those characters.

PRECISELY. Which is why they needed to be brutally killed before the opening titles had finished. The whole structure of the film is about destroying everything and everyone that Ripley cares for in the most horrible manner available. How else do you suggest making a single Alien so utterly, soul-destroyingly terrifying, and bring her to the point where that fall is triumphant rather than an admission of defeat?

sidmel
2006-Feb-22, 06:00 PM
While I didn’t particularly car for A3 one way or another, I found myself extremely annoyed that they killed off the other characters. Aliens is just about my favorite Sci-Fi Horror flick and there was actual character development instead of a one faceted blow ‘em here, one of the reasons that people identified with them. To me, at least, it really cheapened the spirit of the previous movie and the survival of the characters against nearly impossible odds.

On a side note. A buddy of mine has a new dog that he named Ripley, he’s taught her to roll over and play dead when someone says, “Game over, man.” :)

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-22, 06:20 PM
PRECISELY. Which is why they needed to be brutally killed before the opening titles had finished.

It was a cop out. If it's such a great way to advance a franchise then why not kill off Spock, McCoy and Scottie. Or Han, Liea, and Chewbacca. Then have a story with just Kirk or Luke.

Newt, Hicks and Bishope were characters like that. It was suicide for the series. And like I said, the version we saw at the theaters was just awfull and that's the one just about everybody saw. Nobody who's not a die hard fan is going to shell out 26.99 to take a chance that a bad movie might get better with the release of the special edition.

Defender
2006-Feb-22, 06:54 PM
They had to kill off Newt; the actress who played her would have been six years too old to play the role when they came to make Alien 3. Re-casting her would have been pretty lame- sure, killing her was tragic, but such is tragedy.

Doodler
2006-Feb-22, 07:17 PM
They had to kill off Newt; the actress who played her would have been six years too old to play the role when they came to make Alien 3. Re-casting her would have been pretty lame- sure, killing her was tragic, but such is tragedy.

Hm.. pretty good point on that.

IIRC, Micheal Biehn was available to play Hicks again, so I don't understand why they didn't bring him back.

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-23, 02:08 AM

That's easy and im not even a writer. Another navigation blunder ala Aliens, hypersleep malfunction or take up the Alien conquest of earth 4 years later.

mid
2006-Feb-23, 09:49 AM
OK, first a disclaimer: I liked Alien3 when I saw it in the cinema, even if nobody else did.

James's suggestions would all be fine, and indeed keeping all three characters alive would be an excellent idea, if the third Alien film was going to be an action movie like Aliens, or indeed go in a number of other directions.

But the film is a horror movie and a tragedy. So I've just never quite understood the complaints about the fact that it's (a) horrific, and (b) tragic.

Also, the comics had already explored the possibilities of a gun-toting Ripley and Newt team, running around as they try to cope with an overrun Earth and pretty much exhausted the whole Colonial Marines thing. Taking the Alien back to the core of being a terror in the dark, with nowhere to escape and little chance to fight, is a perfectly valid choice to make I think.

But then, if I was in charge I'd have left Spock dead, too. And killed Han in the explosion of the 2nd Death Star as Ford and Kurtz wanted. Fictional SF characters the Universe over are pretty glad I'm not a screenwriter, all things considered.

Defender
2006-Feb-23, 10:40 AM
Hm.. pretty good point on that.

IIRC, Micheal Biehn was available to play Hicks again, so I don't understand why they didn't bring him back.

Presumably, they killed him because Alien 3's story wouldn't have worked with Hicks in the picture- the one of the main themes of the third film is that Ripley is alone, threatened, and no-one believes her. The presence of a marine corporal to back up both her story and herself would have changed the film utterly- and, for better or for worse, that was the story that the filmmakers wanted to tell.

Apparently, Michael Biehn was livid that they killed him off in Alien 3, and charged them a ludicrous sum of money to even use his image in the third film. That's presumably why we never see his body, and also why the only glimpse we get of him is a blurry shot of him from his digital record.

Moose
2006-Feb-23, 12:51 PM
OK, first a disclaimer: I liked Alien3 when I saw it in the cinema, even if nobody else did.

I did too, for the same reason. I actually ended up liking Alien3 better than the first, and much better than the second. (To say I hated 4 though, doesn't come anywhere near the truth.)

But then, if I was in charge I'd have left Spock dead, too. And killed Han in the explosion of the 2nd Death Star as Ford and Kurtz wanted. Fictional SF characters the Universe over are pretty glad I'm not a screenwriter, all things considered.

Uh, wait, wasn't it Calrissian aboard the Falcon (along with his Sullustan co-pilot) who was supposed to have been killed in the explosion? Ford/Solo was on Endor at the time.

mid
2006-Feb-23, 03:54 PM
At the point where the idea of the Falcon getting caught in the explosion was first raised, Solo was still going to be piloting it. You're right, though - even after switching him to the Endor crew the old bird wasn't going to make it until very near the end of production - hence the "I've just got this feeling I'm never going to see her again" line from Han before they go their seperate ways.

weatherc
2006-Feb-23, 09:04 PM
At the point where the idea of the Falcon getting caught in the explosion was first raised, Solo was still going to be piloting it. You're right, though - even after switching him to the Endor crew the old bird wasn't going to make it until very near the end of production - hence the "I've just got this feeling I'm never going to see her again" line from Han before they go their seperate ways.It would have been an interesting twist if Han said he got a feeling he wasn't going to see the Falcon again, then died on Endor (instead of the Falcon being destroyed).

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-23, 09:11 PM
It would have been an interesting twist if Han said he got a feeling he wasn't going to see the Falcon again, then died on Endor (instead of the Falcon being destroyed).

Way too subtle for Lucas.

"So love has blinded you?" (hurl)

TheOrqwithVagrant
2006-Feb-23, 09:53 PM
I'm amazed every time I see the "they had to kill off Newt because the actress grew up" argument. Am I the only one who thinks that it was just poor thinking to make Alien 3 follow directly on Aliens in the first place? There was absolutely nothing to prevent a "space" between the movies, and really, it was the logical thing to do - Sigourney Weaver aged quite a bit between it and Alien, yet since she'd been in hypersleep, she should be roughly the same age as in Alien. The multiple decades she spent "frozen" between Alien and Aliens might have allowed her to age a few years even while in hypersleep, but between Aliens and Alien 3, there was no such "excuse".
And on top of that, they managed to mess up Newt's age in Alien 3 anyway, stating it as "around 12", when she was very obviously 9-10 in Aliens. All the more reason to think Alien 3 took place in some strange alternate universe, and pretend it never happened.

sts60
2006-Feb-23, 10:05 PM
Whatever happened to the alleged film of Rendezvous with Rama? I seem to hazily recall Morgan Freeman's name in connection with the project. The IMDB entry (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134933/) seems to be a stub.

Inferno
2006-Feb-24, 02:17 AM
Whatever happened to the alleged film of Rendezvous with Rama? I seem to hazily recall Morgan Freeman's name in connection with the project. The IMDB entry (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134933/) seems to be a stub.

Yeah, I remember the annoucements about that years ago. David Fincher was signed on to direct. But haven't heard anything since. Sounds like it's been pretty much shelved.

Could have been a great film - or completely dire. The main problem with translating the story to the screen is, much like Clarke's 2001, Rama is a slow unfolding story about the amazement of discovery ET life. There's not really any big fight scenes or action sequences - which seem to be the requirement for sci-fi movies these days. You'd need a really great director to be able to capture the right sense of tension, suspense and awe. Fincher IMO, is not that director. He's no doubt a talented director, but not sure he could restrain himself for this film.

RGClark
2006-Feb-24, 04:02 AM
Anyone who disses Alien 3 (the deepest and most misunderstood of the Alien sequels), says that Robocop would have been better with more violence and less politics, has no clue what the "real" Alien3 actually was (a story about a wooden planet inhabited by monks), ....

Huh?

- Bob

mid
2006-Feb-24, 10:35 AM
In one of the many versions of Alien3 (certainly the most interesting of the abortive attempts), the events took place on a wooden satellite. There's a very interesting section on it in the big documentary on the second disc of the current Alien3 release, which is also discs 5 and 6 of the giant Quadrilogy set, if you'd rather that - it's well worth it.

Yes, buying the Quadrilogy means getting Resurrection, and I know most people hate it. But it's still watchable for its flaws, and the doc on the mess behind it is well worth the price alone.

Gas Giant
2006-Feb-24, 01:57 PM
Are you sure Carrie Henn would have reprised her role anyway? The only thing she's ever acted in was Aliens, it seems she prefers being a teacher.

RGClark
2006-Feb-24, 05:34 PM
In one of the many versions of Alien3 (certainly the most interesting of the abortive attempts), the events took place on a wooden satellite. There's a very interesting section on it in the big documentary on the second disc of the current Alien3 release, which is also discs 5 and 6 of the giant Quadrilogy set, if you'd rather that - it's well worth it.

Yes, buying the Quadrilogy means getting Resurrection, and I know most people hate it. But it's still watchable for its flaws, and the doc on the mess behind it is well worth the price alone.

Can you say more about this? How can a satellite be made of wood? WHY would it be made of wood??

- Bob

parallaxicality
2006-Feb-24, 05:48 PM
You'd have to ask Vincent Ward. It was primarily those questions that led to the idea being scrapped. Still, the final film's story does essentially follow the "wooden planet version" scene for scene.

I have a deep love for Burning Chrome, but William Gibson's Alien 3 script submission was utterly ludicrous. And however many people may laud Pitch Black, I personally consider David Twohy the single worst pervayor of dreck to ever make it semi-big in Hollywood. Everything he's done, from Warlock to Waterworld to The Arrival, has been uniformly terrible, and his Alien 3 script was (this is an achievement) the absolute worst. Finally, the version the article's semi-literate writer seemed to so desire, which was indeed set on Earth, was tedious and soapy, and had a main character as appealing as a vapid high-school jock. Having read all those I can conclude that the Fincher film (particularly the far superior "assembly cut" in the Quadrilogy) was by far the best of a bad lot.

naios
2006-Feb-25, 04:01 AM
I think Space: 1999 would have made a great movie however, would of course now need to be renamed and maybe undergo a few storyline changes. And those uniforms would have to get upgraded.

mid
2006-Feb-27, 09:28 AM
Which Alien3 script was Twohy's? I rather like the guy, as I find The Arrival to be wonderfully trashy fun, and I was just mentioning on Friday how much I like Below on another thread.

Admittedly though, he's hardly the best screenwriter called David in Hollywood when there's Mamet, Koepp and Peoples to compete with amongst others.

Beowolf
2006-Feb-27, 07:10 PM
I'd like to see Larry Nivens "Ringworld" made into a movie. A world a million mile wide, ringing a star. Talk about unlimited room for sequels.

Donnie B.
2006-Feb-28, 01:15 AM
Just about anything from Niven's Known Space universe would be great, if properly done.

Another interesting possibility is Card's Ender's Game, though it would be tough to adapt.

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-28, 02:38 AM
Finally, the version the article's semi-literate writer seemed to so desire, which was indeed set on Earth, was tedious and soapy, and had a main character as appealing as a vapid high-school jock.

Where was that? I didn't think he went into that great of detail. Just said he would prefer Alien conquest of earth for Alien 3. So would I.

Just about anything from Niven's Known Space universe would be great, if properly done.

Another interesting possibility is Card's Ender's Game, though it would be tough to adapt.

The key is properly done. Look at Battlefield Earth and The Relic. Shudder. I thought they were working on an Ender's game movie?

Inferno
2006-Feb-28, 02:42 AM
Can you say more about this? How can a satellite be made of wood? WHY would it be made of wood??

- Bob

Alien 3's "wooden planet" script has some great ideas and some poor ones. The logic behind the wooden satelitte/planet itself was pretty silly, but the individual scenes in the script sounded great. In particular, the idea that to contrast with the first two films, this one would largely be set in wide open spaces. One idea was aliens stalking people running through a corn field.

Could have been great. Rather than confined corridors and limited room with no where to hide, we'd have large open spaces and vastly different scenery but yet still with no where to hide. Instead we got Alien 3 and 4 (in particular 4) which the biggest floor was that they just felt too "samey".

Interesting point to note, that even in the wooden planet script Hicks and Newt are killed off in the opening scenes.

Inferno
2006-Feb-28, 02:44 AM
I thought they were working on an Ender's game movie?
Apparently. Last I heard Card himself was working on the script. I think it's in development hell at the moment.

Beowolf
2006-Feb-28, 04:56 AM
Apparently. Last I heard Card himself was working on the script. I think it's in development hell at the moment.
Why does all the good stuff end up in limbo, it seems if the studios don't think the movie can break even in the first two weeks, it doesn't get out the door.

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-28, 05:34 AM
One idea was aliens stalking people running through a corn field. Could have been great.

Your right. That would have been great.

Too bad. One of the best books ever. And then he did it again but told the story from Bean's perspective. Unbelievable. I don't know of any other writer who has ever accomplished this.

Defender
2006-Feb-28, 12:35 PM
The key is properly done. Look at Battlefield Earth and The Relic. Shudder.

The Battlefield Earth film was every bit as good as the original book- i.e. it was up to the same level of staggering ineptness as L Ron Hubbard's godawful novel.

sidmel
2006-Feb-28, 02:00 PM
I'd like to see Peter Jackson redo Ursala K Le Guin's Wizard of EarthSea series. After I heard the reviews, I couldn't bring myself to watch SciFi channel rendition since this trilogy is one of my top ten favorite reads.

James_Digriz
2006-Feb-28, 05:15 PM
I'd like to see Peter Jackson redo Ursala K Le Guin's Wizard of EarthSea series. After I heard the reviews, I couldn't bring myself to watch SciFi channel rendition since this trilogy is one of my top ten favorite reads.

Miyazaki's son is doing an annimated version (http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/earthsea/) of it:

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1381/2056/23032.jpg

The Battlefield Earth film was every bit as good as the original book- i.e. it was up to the same level of staggering ineptness as L Ron Hubbard's godawful novel.

Hardly. Great book. The Invasion Earth Decology was inept.

Beowolf
2006-Mar-01, 12:10 AM

Ridley Scott would be a good choice for director, if he still did Sci-fi. Another book I've been hoping they'd turn into a movie is A Mote in God's Eye by Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Donnie B.
2006-Mar-01, 01:19 AM
Or Footfall.

Lord Jubjub
2006-Mar-01, 03:16 AM
The Lathe of Heaven was a interesting movie even if the production was on the standard of Dr. Who. I'd like to see it remade with modern special effects.

But considering how Hollywood tends to butcher good sci-fi stories.:evil:

Roy Batty
2006-Mar-01, 12:08 PM
The Lathe of Heaven was a interesting movie even if the production was on the standard of Dr. Who. I'd like to see it remade with modern special effects.

But considering how Hollywood tends to butcher good sci-fi stories.:evil:

Consider it butchered (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290230/):neutral:

I havn't seen the original 80's version yet but it sounds more true to the book. The latest film isn't all bad but doesn't do justice to the original story IMHO.

Beowolf
2006-Mar-01, 05:50 PM
Or Footfall.
Another good one.

Donnie B.
2006-Mar-01, 06:09 PM
Consider it butchered (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290230/):neutral:

I havn't seen the original 80's version yet but it sounds more true to the book. The latest film isn't all bad but doesn't do justice to the original story IMHO.Yeah, that was a pretty forgettable remake. I saw part of it, and quickly wished I hadn't.

I have the original version on DVD. Oddly, the DVD was mastered from a broadcast-quality video tape, not from the original film. Sadly, that film has disappeared. The VT is all that's left.

I still enjoy it (it was a PBS production). To me, the effects are fine, and it was quite faithful to the book. Very good acting, too.

Romanus
2006-Mar-02, 05:59 AM
<<Alien 3's "wooden planet" script has some great ideas and some poor ones. The logic behind the wooden satelitte/planet itself was pretty silly, but the individual scenes in the script sounded great. In particular, the idea that to contrast with the first two films, this one would largely be set in wide open spaces. One idea was aliens stalking people running through a corn field.>>

Interesting--though I never read it, I seem to recall that the Dark Horse comic Aliens: Sacrifice explored a similar setting.