PDA

View Full Version : Aquiring real world photonic data, a reality?

2002-Jan-10, 02:26 AM
I see a lot of coverage on up & coming photo computer models, but thier doesnt seem to be much enthusiasm surrounding the whole affair.
Comparable I guess to working with silicon when every other Jockey was scratching the cats whiskers with a very long scratcher.

Possibly astronomy has the most to look forward to when considering the implementation of ideal photonic computing systems, both analouge and digital.

1.---------------------------------------
Spectral analysis of a deep field, electron Vs photon.

Digital -> when the first set of pixels arrive at the processor, the number of electrical events needed to get there is disgusting. Even in a RISK or analouge setup you still rely on gadzoogles of seperate electronic signals ( and pathways ) to mutate a photon into a digital or analouge electrical values. Now all you have to do is convert a few billion sets of a million members into a rather large binary sequence.

Photonicly -> in a nut shell, use the data as it is, keep the input simple and leverage photo tables to 'decode' spectral info on the spot. What is a photo table? Using one souce of 'light' to calculate phase of some other light 'source' of similar wavelength takes nano seconds . ( 2 * T source ? ).

---------------------------------------
Bianary addition of 2 bits ( a & b )of laser light. Groovy. ( assume a & b have same F & Amplitude ).

step One:
Use an expensive lens to partialy refract each bit into two 'copies' of the partcular bit. ( a becomes a1 & a2 ... )

Take a1 and b1 ensure they are pi rads out of phase then use another expensive lens to add a1 & b1 . When a = 1 & b = 1 then a1 + b1 = 1. . When a = 0 & b = 1 then a1 + b1 = 0. ( the first bit in the sum ).

Now take a2 & b2, put into phase and treat as a carry ( carry is TRUE when a2 + b2 = 2x watts, FALSE when a2 + b2 = x watts;

Now do it with a large binary number and cascade this result into other photonic words.

Dont forget, when multiplying, the period of a cascade must be greater than the time taken for a transistor to detect that the result of factor 1 minus 1 repeated is zero ( you have added factor 2 to itself untill the transistor signals as above ).

Please add your designs here.

Chip
2002-Jan-10, 06:04 AM
On 2002-01-09 21:26, RPN wrote:
I see a lot of coverage on up & coming photo computer models, but thier doesnt seem to be much enthusiasm surrounding the whole affair.
Comparable I guess to working with silicon when every other Jockey was scratching the cats whiskers with a very long scratcher.

etc...etc...etc...see previous post...concluding with:

Please add your designs here.

---------------------------------------------
Hi there,

Ummm...your post kind of borders on the illucid for me. Is English your second language? No offense but I don't quite understand the phrase: "Jockey was scratching the cats whiskers with a very long scratcher" in this context.

Also, you stated: "Photonicly -> in a nut shell, use the data as it is, keep the input simple and leverage photo tables to 'decode' spectral info on the spot." --- I think an old-fashioned pre-WWII spectrometer did this already with no computer let alone a pocket calculator in sight.

Anyway, there are many references to photonic systems on the Internet,
and I think astronomy already makes use of photonic computing systems you describe. You might have some good ideas here but because of the "lingo" it sounds to me like you're identifying and setting up a problem, and then solving it by extracting and paraphrasing pre-existing material, (which is one way of explaining an idea,) but it requires a bit of editing skill and the art of tech language communication skill, not to mention more understanding on my part as well. (I could be wrong.) Good luck. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif