PDA

View Full Version : Nearby Exoplanet is Scorching Hot

Fraser
2006-Feb-23, 04:45 AM
SUMMARY: NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has uncovered a hot extrasolar planet orbiting a nearby star. Planet HD 189733b orbits its parent star only 63 light-years from Earth, making it the closest extrasolar planet ever detected directly. It moves in an extremely tight orbit - less than 3% of the distance from the Earth to the Sun - completing a tour around its star in just over 2 days. And it's scorching hot, reaching temperatures of 844 Celsius (about 1,551 Fahrenheit) on its surface.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/hot_closest_exoplanet.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

antoniseb
2006-Feb-23, 01:34 PM
It is always interesting to read how specific cases can be studied using special methods that only work in a small fraction of all cases, but turn up great new results.

david b.
2006-Feb-23, 04:18 PM
This is a new method I wasn't familliar with, This last month I was in Chile, The Paranal telescope's made the discovery of smallest terestrial. I have the local news print with the articale.

Wish I could continue counting planets for another 100 years.

Note: I have also had the tour of this telescope(s), Found out there is a scientist there from my home state of MN.