PDA

View Full Version : Same "Eye" Different Day

chaiyah
2003-Mar-03, 05:58 PM
http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/javagif/gifs_small/20030218_0754_c3.gif

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/javagif/gifs_small/20030302_0942_c3.gif

Anybody want to comment on this?

tjm220
2003-Mar-03, 06:21 PM
Eye can only see one I, can somebody help me properly interpret the images. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

nebularain
2003-Mar-03, 06:40 PM
Oh - the bottom link has an apparent "eye" on the left side of the sun within the brightest "beam (I am not sure the correct term for it).

But I have to wonder what the fuss is about with these "eye" images. A message from God? What kind of message would that be? Who else would have the power to shape the image of the ejected gas and ions?

Well, whatever.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nebularain on 2003-03-03 13:43 ]</font>

JS Princeton
2003-Mar-03, 06:46 PM
It's the freemasons! Run for your lives! It's the Eye of Osiris!

Donnie B.
2003-Mar-03, 06:48 PM
The eyes of Texas are upoooon youuuu...

(Personally I prefer the "Workin' On the Railroad" lyrics, but then I'm not a denizen of Texas...)

Comixx
2003-Mar-03, 06:59 PM
The eyes are not in the actual SOHO/LASKO images. They are put in during the LIT-JPG conversion by a NASA employee as a message to other Illuminati that they should watch these images for further messages in the very near future. In fact, some correlation to the 33rd degree should be found in the dates or angles relative to the ecliptic or other astrologically significant bodies within these pictures.

um...yeah...or it's God watching us...

I reiterate the question I posed on the other topic: Does chaiyah see some significance with these pictures? Does she see the shapes in clouds and assign them similar significance? She tends to pose questions, then answer any questions posed to her with questions while managing to evade actually putting forth a definitive opinion of her own. If these "eyes" are the Litmus test, what is your desired outcome? What is the criteria for which we will be judged to have passed or failed?

irony
2003-Mar-03, 07:08 PM
No no no! It's the eye of Ra! And he's telling us that you really can see the stars in space!

(Sorry... my brain on Mt. Dew again. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

darkhunter
2003-Mar-03, 07:14 PM
In "The Mote in God's Eye", Larry Niven had a religious order formed because of a "new star" in nebular that happened to look like a hooded figure... [spoiler mode on] turned out to be the lasers used to boost an alien light sail to the human planet [end spoiler mode]

Cool story, but I think these are just coincidence, and human nature to see faces (and parts of faces) in random patterns.

Next time you see a marbled countertop, tiles, or any other surface with randomized patterns on it, see how many faces you can find.....

edit: made the first line make some sort of sense--as far as I know no one posts as "Lary Niven"...

edit: [spelling correction mode on]....spelling correction completed...[spelling correction mode off]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkhunter on 2003-03-03 14:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkhunter on 2003-03-03 14:17 ]</font>

gethen
2003-Mar-03, 08:48 PM
It's really a stretch to see any eye there for me. The eye of Sauron maybe? And Darkhunter, I read the book about the "Moties" too and I think it may be relevant here, cause this eye has a huge beam in it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gethen on 2003-03-03 15:50 ]</font>

Zap
2003-Mar-03, 09:03 PM
No no no! You silly people, its MY eye. Didn't I tell you I got in a fight with Bart Sibrel and he swelled my eye up and now I have superhuman sight powers? *waits for response. zilch* guess not. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

GurneyHalleck
2003-Mar-03, 10:40 PM
How funny - based on the title of this thread: 'Same "eye" different day' - I assumed it was someone commenting on these conspiracy theories du jour! One day it's PX, then the moons of Mars are gone, then it's an eye coming off the sun, then cyborg monkeys have colonized Neptune, tomorrow who knows! But to my surprise it was actually just chaiyah randomly polluting the boards with more theories and unsubstantiated 'facts' and ignoring coherent replies made by people on this board who try to debate her.

Rue
2003-Mar-03, 10:55 PM
It's obvious..the sun is a cyclops!

chaiyah
2003-Mar-03, 11:21 PM
Hmmm. Wow. Not one comment expressed curiosity nor the desire to really know what is TRUE.

And a couple of pages over, I got reamed for being "rude."

Donnie B.
2003-Mar-03, 11:26 PM
I think it was James Thurber who wrote a hilarious piece about flunking his college Biology class because he couldn't focus the microscope. He tried and tried, with no success. At last, he managed to get something... aha! sharp and clear. He got to work with his notebook and pencil, recording faithfully what he was seeing.

Then he called his prof over. He looked at the drawing, looked into the scope, and said disparagingly, "Congratulations, Mr. Thurber, you have made a perfect drawing of your own eye!"

I do believe that's what we've got here (in the figurative instead of literal sense).

Donnie B.
2003-Mar-03, 11:34 PM
On 2003-03-03 18:21, chaiyah wrote:
Hmmm. Wow. Not one comment expressed curiosity nor the desire to really know what is TRUE.

Let me tell ya, chaiyah, this is all getting pretty tiresome. You asked for comments on something we all find pretty normal and benign - swirling patterns in CMEs. That's perfectly common and natural, given the looping magnetic fields that accompany CMEs and shape the plasma. Why are you surprised that we give lighthearted, even downright clownish answers?

We see nothing here that requires any great amount of enlightenment. There is no great mystery, no unspoken agenda, no need for explanation. That is what is TRUE.

russ_watters
2003-Mar-04, 01:39 AM
Not one comment expressed curiosity nor the desire to really know what is TRUE.
Here is what is really true: since solar prominences are always circular, its hardly surprising that they often look similar to other circular objects. Frankly though, I didn't think either of those even remotely resembled an eye.

GurneyHalleck
2003-Mar-04, 01:50 AM
"Hmmm. Wow. Not one comment expressed curiosity nor the desire to really know what is TRUE."

Ok, so what is 'TRUE'? What are you seeing in those images that we don't? Explain it to the class. If we're wrong to say that we don't see anything, then what's the 'right' answer to you? And most importantly, what factual evidence do you have to support any claims you make?

As for not being 'curious' or not having 'desire' as you say: The people on this board seem to be either professional scientists or enthusiasts with no scientific background. The only reason people would read this site and post here is _because_ they are curious and interested in science and have desire for true knowlegde about various aspects of astronomy. Why would people devote their careers to science or even surf the web for topics they have no interest in?

You keep mentioning your years of experience and your teaching degrees - if you value your credentials so much, why discredit the credentials of the people at this site in favor of the people with questionable backgrounds at the conspiracy theory sites you read? Imagine if I read a website that said that kids can learn through osmosis by putting their books on their heads at night. Now who would most people believe: A guy like me who read it on a website somewhere or a person like you, chaiyah, who has years and years of teaching experience not to mention college degrees in teaching?

Dickenmeyer
2003-Mar-04, 04:01 AM
On 2003-03-03 17:40, GurneyHalleck wrote:
cyborg monkeys have colonized Neptune

What????CYBORG MONKEYS?!?!?!?!? And I just bought fresh bananas, I'm doomed!!!!!!!!

Jigsaw
2003-Mar-04, 04:51 AM
So the 2/18 picture has an eye; the 3/2 picture doesn't. So the "eye" disappeared in those 10 days.

So what?

beskeptical
2003-Mar-04, 05:53 AM
I thought the pics were interesting.

Chaiyah, the jokes are pretty normal about Ra, Osiris, The Illuminata and what not. I don't think anyone meant any harm. I'm not sure if that was your perception with the comment about rudeness.

I read a few of your posts and see why folks are a bit short with you. The focus of this board is to dispell the conspiracy theories that people so readily buy into without evidence. I am a firm believer as are many on this board that evidence is needed before conclusions are drawn.

On the other hand, most people on this board respect the fact that lots of posters are not astronomers, (I am not an astronomer). When an image or an idea are not familiar no one should be condescending about how another may have viewed it.

The images look very much like eyes and are worth sharing for that alone. But they are just solar flare formations and not the least bit inexplicable. I couldn't tell from your post what you thought of the pics. Did you want to know how others thought they were formed or were you sharing them because you see something there?

Lots of people on this board do answer questions seriously, no matter how strange the questions might be. But you also have to be willing to look at different explanations as well as offering them to enjoy the board.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: beskeptical on 2003-03-04 01:11 ]</font>

sts60
2003-Mar-04, 01:00 PM

I don't think anybody was trying to be rude, but rather to just have some fun.

I don't think you understand many of the regulars on this board. We are here because we want to get at the truth; because we're curious about the "real story". Many of us love science, astronomy in particular, and space exploration because they expand our knowledge and afford us a deeper glimpse into this amazing world.

The lighthearted nature of most responses is due to the fact that, while the "eye" was cool to look at, there is no particular reason to suppose it was anything other than a temporary recognizable shape, just like clouds form sometimes.

Do you suggest there is another explanation? If so, would you share it with us, and tell us what sort of evidence you think exists to support it?

calliarcale
2003-Mar-04, 01:16 PM
On 2003-03-03 12:58, chaiyah wrote:
http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/javagif/gifs_small/20030218_0754_c3.gif

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/javagif/gifs_small/20030302_0942_c3.gif

Anybody want to comment on this?

Well, the first one is a gorgeous view of a CME, made even more spectacular because Comet NEAT is in frame as well. Astronomy Picture of the Day made this their pic a few days ago. It's quite lovely.

The second one shows a less spectacular CME and some very bright streamers. Perhaps less overtly beautiful, I still think it's a lovely image. The corona is a gorgeous thing and I love the way SOHO has provided us with a way to observe it as the dynamic thing it is. Have you watched any of SOHO's videos of CMEs? They are unforgettably beautiful. It's amazing to think that something so powerful and vast is going on all the time on the Sun -- but that until fairly recently, nobody on Earth had any idea because it's all too faint to see in the brilliant glare of the Sun itself.

I love space science. It never fails to amaze me. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

spaceditto
2003-Mar-04, 05:49 PM
Hey i see it now, cool you could actual see an eye thought i wouldn't really interpreted as some kind of relegious meaning./phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

martianutopia
2003-Mar-05, 01:28 AM
I think the eye could be for real. I think it could be the reflection of the guys eye that is monitoring one of the soho telescopes (or maybe its not soho, but its on their page); the one that studies the back side of the sun by viewing reflections of the sun's emission on the background radiation??? - Is that something like right? I can't think of the name of the instument. If it is his eye, then I want his job.

p.s. Maybe I shouldn't have said "guy's eye", it could be a woman's eye. Can anyone tell?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: martianutopia on 2003-03-04 20:33 ]</font>

sts60
2003-Mar-05, 03:53 AM
You stretch our collective leg too far, sir!

However, if you are serious - the picture was taken by an imager on an unmanned spacecraft - there is no observer's eye to reflect. That leaves you with either an accidental arrangement of solar gases in a recognizable pattern, or as the late, rather unlamented Chaiyah seemed to think (she never quite told us), some sort of cosmic message.

kilopi
2003-Mar-07, 05:26 PM
On 2003-03-03 23:51, Jigsaw wrote:
So the 2/18 picture has an eye; the 3/2 picture doesn't. So the "eye" disappeared in those 10 days.

So what?

No, I think that there is supposed to be an eye in both. See nebularain's post.