PDA

View Full Version : Which telescope have you got?

koloss
2006-Feb-27, 03:04 PM
Hi.

For do something diferent, I thought we could put here our telescope.

I have a Meade ETX-70 AT. Is a small telescope, but is perfect where I live.

Bye.

SeanF
2006-Feb-27, 03:14 PM
I've got a Celestron NexStar 4, but I don't get out to use it enough.

I got a camera adapter for it for Christmas, so I'm thinking I'll be taking it out more once it's not so dang cold! :D

teddyv
2006-Feb-27, 03:16 PM
I've got an Omcon 911T 4.5" Newtonian. I bought it in '88 but haven't used too much in the last few years.

Tog
2006-Feb-27, 04:12 PM
A Meade ETX-90 original, no Autostar. 90mm Mak
A Meade LX-90 Autostar guided with wedge for pics. 203mm (8 in) SCT
A Meade 400mm (16 in) Dobsonian which I have Bubbed THOR. Typically heavy, onnoxious reflector. It's the size of a water heater standing in an inverted end table. If I can get the machinist to finish up the plates though, I should be able to get it in the trunk of a Neon.

turbo-1
2006-Feb-27, 05:32 PM
Astro-Physics 6" f:8 apochromat (one of the early Christen scopes) with a Brandon Vernonscope 80mm f:6.25 apo as a finder/guide scope.

ozzmosis
2006-Feb-27, 05:51 PM
i have got two scope an 8 skywatcher f5 and a mak 102 mm f13

prob gona get one more soon

farmerjumperdon
2006-Feb-27, 07:38 PM
I've got a relic - a 90mm Telsi refractor. My brother found it demolishing a house. Well, it was in the house - not demolishing it. I think it was made in the late 50's or early 60's. It is very heavy duty, built like a rock, weighs a lot for it's size. Except the tripod is a ancient wooden piece of junk, very rickety. Performance is very good.

I had a 10" LX6 with a bunch of aftermarket bells & whistles - but sold it to pay for my 1st skydiving rig.

gethen
2006-Feb-27, 10:37 PM
I've got an Orion 8" Newtonian on an equatorial mount. I love it, but its use is now limited to our trips to northern Ontario, since the neighbors have added "security lighting" to their garage and yard.:mad:

ozzmosis
2006-Feb-27, 10:40 PM
that really sucks ,,, what u can do is turn off the power to ur neighbors hehe

Parrothead
2006-Feb-27, 11:10 PM
An 8" Meade LX-10

mickal555
2006-Feb-28, 09:52 AM
Southern Cross 8" Newt. Dob. F/6

Yamaha04R1
2006-Feb-28, 06:30 PM
Celestron Nextar 114mm reflector on alt/az comp mount

Chinese 203mm f4 Reflector on EQ4 mount.

Canon EOS300D

Mk1 Eyeball

Danny

Tobin Dax
2006-Feb-28, 08:47 PM
Does a 100+ year-old refractor count? ;) The telescope on campus is a 12" refractor with a focal length of 15 feet, and we can still see reasonably bright deep-sky objects with it. (M13 is visible-and absolutely beautiful-while the Ring is too faint, unfortunately.)

N C More
2006-Feb-28, 10:18 PM
Well, I use a Frankenstien model...I'll explain. My son bought a Tasco 500x114 Galaxsee second hand, he replaced the eyepiece and did some other work on the thing (I'll have to ask what else he did). Anyway, now it works fairly well (I would not recommend this brand as it was not very good before he made the changes). It only weighs about 25 lbs so I can haul it around easily. I'm thinking of buying some Orion large aperature binoculars (I currently use my husband's high powered engineering ones). Anyone else use binoculars? What brands do you like?

turbo-1
2006-Feb-28, 11:19 PM
Anyone else use binoculars? What brands do you like?I use an old pair of Nikon 7x50's that I got at LL Bean about 20 years ago. That's about all the weight and power that the average person can hand-hold for extended periods. I'd love to have a pair of 100mm binoculars, but then one is committed to a rather heavy tripod and parallelogram-type mount. I think I'll probably invest in a binocular viewer for my refractor and duplicate one of my better Tele Vue oculars.

ozzmosis
2006-Feb-28, 11:27 PM
Does a 100+ year-old refractor count? ;) The telescope on campus is a 12" refractor with a focal length of 15 feet, and we can still see reasonably bright deep-sky objects with it. (M13 is visible-and absolutely beautiful-while the Ring is too faint, unfortunately.)

wow can i see a few pics of that?!

ozzmosis
2006-Feb-28, 11:28 PM
Well, I use a Frankenstien model...I'll explain. My son bought a Tasco 500x114 Galaxsee second hand, he replaced the eyepiece and did some other work on the thing (I'll have to ask what else he did). Anyway, now it works fairly well (I would not recommend this brand as it was not very good before he made the changes). It only weighs about 25 lbs so I can haul it around easily. I'm thinking of buying some Orion large aperature binoculars (I currently use my husband's high powered engineering ones). Anyone else use binoculars? What brands do you like?

i have a 8x40 binos just for scotting the sky but ill prob get myself some very good ones before the summer is over

cjl
2006-Feb-28, 11:56 PM
Personally?

An ancient 3" Edmund Scientifics newtonian (used to be my dad's, he gave it to me).

My dad has a 4" Meade Schmidt Cassegrain, an Orion XT8, and a Meade RCX400 10"

tbm
2006-Feb-28, 11:59 PM
......... Anyone else use binoculars? What brands do you like?

My binocular is an Orion 8x50 model. Good for birding and for scanning the summer Milky Way.

My main scope is a Meade 6600 on the old GEM mount and tripod. I have a Jim's Mobile drive for piggy back photography (Canon C-60 SLR) and will try prime focus photography one day (hard to do on the Newtonian).

I have a cobbled up short focus refractor (3"). TERRIBLE chromatic aberration, but quick and easy to use for the kids.

tbm

turbo-1
2006-Mar-01, 01:38 AM
If you would like to get a compact monocular for birding, hunting, nature observation, or just sight-seeing, I highly recommend the Orion EagleEye 8x32. It has a very generous eye-relief so eyeglass-wearers can see the field of view.

This monocular can focus as close as 2' or so for very tight views of stuff that you might not want to get any closer to (like a wasp nest) and it is perfect for watching birds at a feeder outside your window - set the focus and grab the 'scope whenever an interesting bird shows up.

Kelfazin
2006-Mar-01, 02:51 AM
8" Meade LX200 GPS

Arneb
2006-Mar-01, 12:03 PM
8" 1/f= 4.5 Orion/England Newtonian on a Celestron German equatorial. R.A./Dec motors, no GoTo
4" 1/f=5 Celestron Wide Field Fraunhofer on a German equatorial. R.A. motor, no GoTo
10x50 binos
Miscellanous eyepiece collection, mostly Plössl, from 32 - 4 mm
Photo adapter thingies
Colour and interference filters

hewhocaves
2006-Mar-01, 03:27 PM
I've got an Orion 8" Newtonian on an equatorial mount. I love it, but its use is now limited to our trips to northern Ontario, since the neighbors have added "security lighting" to their garage and yard.:mad:

security lighting? heh...
if it's motion detected, sounds like you should start flying remote controlled model airplanes at night. good way to have their lights cheeze off the entire neighborhood.

if it's just turned on by darkness, then you might want to get a little laser and get some practice hitting the light sensor.

either way should annoy them sufficiently. advanced projects include putting up giant mirrors on the fences so that the light gets reflected back into their windows. let them try to sleep under daylight conditions.

as you might have guessed, im not fond of light trespass and i hate *security lighting* you might also want to look into the international dark sky org. as well.

oh, and I own a 8" orion dob as well as a 110mm Orion Shmidt-Cas. Neither of which have been used this year :( too busy with life, i guess. (too cold n the winter!)

john

JohnW
2006-Mar-01, 03:59 PM
Stellarvue 115mm f7 refractor on a Losmandy GM8

Trebuchet
2006-Mar-01, 09:02 PM
Meade ETX90, terrestrial version. Used for watching the ships go by at my vacation home. And on the rare occasions the sky is clear enough, for looking at a planet or two!

Dave Mitsky
2006-Mar-01, 09:43 PM
I own far too many telescopes so I'll mention just the four that I use the most often: a 12.5" f/4.8 Starsplitter Compact Dobsonian Newtonian, a 101mm f/5.4 Tele Vue refractor, an 80mm f/5 Orion ShortTube refractor, and a 40mm f/10 Coronado PST H-alpha refractor.

I also have 4 pairs of binoculars ranging from a Celestron 20x80 to a Celestron 8x42.

Dave Mitsky

redshifter
2006-Mar-01, 09:58 PM
10" Orion XT dob, the non-intelliscope version (I bought it before the intelliscopes existed, if I had to do it over again, I probably still would go the non-intelliscope route)

15X70 Orion mini-giant binocs
25X100 Celestron Skywatcher binocs on a universal astronomics unimount

'I'm thinking of buying some Orion large aperature binoculars (I currently use my husband's high powered engineering ones). Anyone else use binoculars? What brands do you like?'

Orion is as good a brand as any other at a given price point. I've had my 15X70's for about 6 years now and use them often for scanning the summer milky way, though not as often as I used to now that I have my 25X100's. Many binocs sold at similar price points by different brands/companies are likely the same Chinese made binocs. Not to disparage cheap Chinese optics, for the $ they do pretty well.

jt-3d
2006-Mar-01, 10:24 PM

"We'll add bright lights and then our neighbors will get broken in to instead of us." Ya I've got the same problem. Fortunately my house has a room off the back and makes a dark area I can set up in. Unfortunately I have to be close to the house so objects north to east have to be really high in the sky to clear the roof which means I have to stay out later than I'd like to see something that's coming up. Maybe you could ask them to leave it off on nights you plan to be out.

Got me a Meade LX200 10" (http://home.satx.rr.com/jt3d/scope.jpg) un-GPS. Unfortunately I don't have that green grass anymore. Anybody know how to rain dance?

naios
2006-Mar-01, 11:25 PM
I have a 6" f/8 Sky Watcher Dobsonian. I am very happy with it, but beginning to feel febrile ;) . My first foray into astronomy but I have a feeling I will be adding others to the collection...

randb
2006-Mar-02, 06:03 AM
10" Orion XT dob, the non-intelliscope version (I bought it before the intelliscopes existed, if I had to do it over again, I probably still would go the non-intelliscope route)

15X70 Orion mini-giant binocs
25X100 Celestron Skywatcher binocs on a universal astronomics unimount

'I'm thinking of buying some Orion large aperature binoculars (I currently use my husband's high powered engineering ones). Anyone else use binoculars? What brands do you like?'

Orion is as good a brand as any other at a given price point. I've had my 15X70's for about 6 years now and use them often for scanning the summer milky way, though not as often as I used to now that I have my 25X100's. Many binocs sold at similar price points by different brands/companies are likely the same Chinese made binocs. Not to disparage cheap Chinese optics, for the $ they do pretty well.

And all this while... I thought you were a guy :neutral: (i guess...its the username)

randb
2006-Mar-02, 06:05 AM
Stellarvue 115mm f7 refractor on a Losmandy GM8

Do you know of any websites that have information about GM-8s?

JohnW
2006-Mar-02, 04:16 PM
Do you know of any websites that have information about GM-8s?
The Losmandy (http://losmandy.com/) company website.
Here (http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=844&pr=2x8x34) and here (http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=617&pr=2x8x34) are a couple of Cloudy Nights reviews.

It's a superb piece of equipment. Worth every penny.

randb
2006-Mar-02, 04:56 PM
The Losmandy (http://losmandy.com/) company website.
Here (http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=844&pr=2x8x34) and here (http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=617&pr=2x8x34) are a couple of Cloudy Nights reviews.

It's a superb piece of equipment. Worth every penny.

I'm looking for info on tweaks that could make it perform better....

JohnW
2006-Mar-02, 05:18 PM
I'm looking for info on tweaks that could make it perform better....
Your initial question could have said so.

Anyway, there's a Yahoo group for Losmandy users, so you could ask there.

redshifter
2006-Mar-02, 08:38 PM
And all this while... I thought you were a guy :neutral: (i guess...its the username)

Actually, I am. The portion of my post that made you think otherwise (the part about her husband and looking for larger aperture binocs) I copy n' pasted from another post.

andyschlei
2006-Mar-04, 04:02 AM
I have a Celestron 8" SCT, 11" SCT and a Televue NP-101 refractor and a Celestron CGE mount. With these, I am well pleased.

Skyywatcher
2006-Mar-05, 01:27 AM
koloss, I've got a 12 inch Meade sct. Although one person can transport and set it up, that person better be in good shape. It realy takes two at least because it's heavy. I've no complaints with it at all. The learning curve takes time but once mastered the scope will do what Meade claims it will. I purchased it a little after the Hale-Bopp passby so it's fairly old. Yet everything still works fine. I treat it like a baby. Skyywatcher

skywatch
2006-Mar-06, 12:35 AM
unfortunetly a tasco 4.5 newt a product i wouldn't recomend it.it performs a little better once the plastic lenses and the finder scope hit the trash can. Also i have some bushnell 8x42 binos. binos are great for getting to know sky no astronomers should be with out them.

Skyywatcher
2006-Mar-06, 01:07 AM
Kelfazin does it live up to Meades claims?
I have a LX 200 12 incher had it a long time works like it should but it sure aint a one man set up.

GeorgieB
2006-Mar-06, 02:33 AM
I have two scopes:

An 8" Meade LX200GPS and a Meade ETX105.

Since I travel mostly in an RV (fifth-wheel) the limiting factor for size is the storage space available. The scope and tripod for these two do take considerable room.

Wolverine
2006-Mar-07, 07:31 PM
My goodies (http://www.wolverinesden.org/equipment/).

Can't wait to add an apo to that list.

brianh
2006-Mar-07, 07:50 PM
Nice site Wolverine,

I have a Stellervue 80/9D and a collection of Meade 1 1/4" optics, and
2" optics.

redshifter
2006-Mar-07, 08:24 PM
My goodies (http://www.wolverinesden.org/equipment/).

Can't wait to add an apo to that list.

Nice! What tripod are you using for your 80mm Orion binocs? I had an opportunity to check out Orion's paralellogram mount and tripod combo and found it wasn't really up to the task of supporting 80mm binocs.

Wolverine
2006-Mar-07, 08:57 PM
Nice! What tripod are you using for your 80mm Orion binocs? I had an opportunity to check out Orion's paralellogram mount and tripod combo and found it wasn't really up to the task of supporting 80mm binocs.

When I purchased the MegaViews, I got a deal on an Orion Paragon (this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000XMYNS/102-0741206-7256956?v=glance&n=502394)) tripod (which I think they've recently discontinued). It's worked quite well for me.

perfessor
2006-Mar-12, 06:08 PM
First post here - hello!

8" f7, made it myself 15 years ago.
Currently finishing up a fully rebuilt dob mount, modified from R. Berry's book. This will be its 4th mounting - I should stop tinkering!

mickal555
2006-Mar-15, 09:32 AM
Welcome :D

There's nothing wrong with tinkering :D

Keep it up :)

RedNyte
2006-Mar-15, 02:19 PM
I have a Meade DS-70 with electronic drive without the goto feature. It's a nice beginner scope but hoping to upgrade soon.

aurora
2006-Mar-17, 09:51 PM
I have a 10 inch Dob, which I made myself. I have a wooden equatorial platform for it.

I also have a 120mm refractor on a GEM, and a 80mm shorttube refractor on a Camera tripod. Both refractors are cheap achromats, but they work well enough for me.

larkspur
2006-Mar-22, 12:03 AM
I have a Meade ETX70 and decided to upgrade to a Meade LX200R UHTC that just came today. Supposed to have clear skies tomorrow night...can't wait!:exclaim: :)

orangeSCT
2006-Mar-23, 05:22 PM
As suggested by my username I have an old Celestron Orange tube SCT. It is a C8 from 1979. Great scope and I got a great deal on it from a fellow astro club member who was upgrading to a modern 10" GPS unit. I also have a pair of 9x63 Orion Mini Giants that get a great deal of use. I find these to be a great trade off of aperature, magnification, and hand holdability.

Trantor
2006-Mar-23, 08:52 PM
Meade 4 inch SCT, that I bought back in 1988.
Orion 7x50 binocular
Oberwerk 12x60 binocular

I wasn't too sure about the Oberwerk, but decided to take a chance because of the low price compared to other brands. I was surprised to find out that the optics are as good as the Orion and possibly a tad bit better. The price was much less than a comparable model from Orion(where I get most of my optical needs). The supplied case is the biggest weakness.

larkspur
2006-Mar-24, 01:09 AM
I had a few hours of clear skies last night. I got to use the new scope too:) It took about an hour and a half to cool down, but once it did......WOW!
I realize it is a huge jump from the ETX70 to the 10 inch Ritchey-Chrétien optics in the LX200R but I was not expecting to be able to see so much more!:dance:
I did not have time to view much but did get to see the Orion Nebula. With the ETX 70 it looked like some fuzzy stars but with the new scope there was so much detail. It was so beautiful! I can't wait to try capturing such beauty with photography!
Too bad we are going to have clouds and rain for the next year.......:wall::

orangeSCT
2006-Mar-24, 04:53 PM
I had a few hours of clear skies last night. I got to use the new scope too:) It took about an hour and a half to cool down, but once it did......WOW!
I realize it is a huge jump from the ETX70 to the 10 inch Ritchey-Chrétien optics in the LX200R but I was not expecting to be able to see so much more!:dance:
I did not have time to view much but did get to see the Orion Nebula. With the ETX 70 it looked like some fuzzy stars but with the new scope there was so much detail. It was so beautiful! I can't wait to try capturing such beauty with photography!

LOL. The amount of cloudy weather in the upcoming weeks or months is directly proportional to how much you have just spent on new observing equiptment. ;)

cjl
2006-Mar-25, 01:11 AM

No kidding. Our RCX400 10" performs incredibly (basically the same optics). I especially love clusters. You can see so many stars and in such incredible detail.

larkspur
2006-Mar-25, 02:38 AM
No kidding. our RCX400 10" performs incredibly (basically the same optics). I especially love clusters. You can see so many stars and in such incredible detail.
The only draw back to this new scope is hefting it. It is much too heavy for one small to medium build person(man or woman) to carry outside. We are trying to find a way to attach it to a hand truck so it can be rolled out-with tripod attached- and set up by one female person (me). Got any ideas on the best way to manage this?

Kaptain K
2006-Mar-25, 07:59 AM
Try Wheeley Bars from JMI.
http://www.jimsmobile.com/list_search.htm

Dave Mitsky
2006-Mar-25, 03:11 PM
Another possibility is the ScopeBuggy - http://www.scopebuggy.com

Dave Mitsky

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-25, 04:16 PM
Buy a 2" thick board of sufficient size and put 4 roller wheels on the corners and a rope to pull it. Use center of board for stuff. Total cost (using charm and a six-pack as a bribe to a carpenter) = $40. Painting your name on it= "Priceless."

sci_tchr
2006-Mar-25, 05:12 PM
I have a homemade 4" dobsonian.

fos....

Kaptain K
2006-Mar-25, 05:53 PM
...put 4 roller wheels on the corners...
Whatever you do, do not put casters at all four corners. Put the casters at the front and fixed wheels at the rear, or it will never go where you want it to. Also, use big wheels.

larkspur
2006-Mar-25, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all the input. I am leaning towards the Scope Buggy.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-25, 08:08 PM
I have a homemade 4" dobsonian.

fos....

But does it work? Good work nonetheless. Whatever fos... means.

Kaptain K: With all due respect, sir, if I may speak freely? (giggle.)Three may be too tipsy but equally workable and on the right track as far as saving money buying one less wheel. Good thinking. How about locking the two rear wheels and calling it a Larkspurwagon - LSW for short. Gotta have 4 to call it a wagon, besides buying 4 wheels in package deal may be more economic. (What a nut I am!):p

Just saw last post. Nevermind.

larkspur
2006-Mar-25, 08:34 PM

Kaptain K: With all due respect, sir, if I may speak freely? (giggle.)Three may be too tipsy but equally workable and on the right track as far as saving money buying one less wheel. Good thinking. How about locking the two rear wheels and calling it a Larkspurwagon - LSW for short. Gotta have 4 to call it a wagon, besides buying 4 wheels in package deal may be more economic. (What a nut I am!):p

:lol:

Kaptain K
2006-Mar-25, 08:38 PM

OK, I assumed 4 wheels. Three would be fine, but my main point is still valid. Do not use casters for all the wheels. I write from persomal experience. You will think that it has a (malevolent) mind of its own!

cjl
2006-Mar-26, 12:25 AM
The only draw back to this new scope is hefting it. It is much too heavy for one small to medium build person(man or woman) to carry outside. We are trying to find a way to attach it to a hand truck so it can be rolled out-with tripod attached- and set up by one female person (me). Got any ideas on the best way to manage this?
We haven't really tried much, but the best way we've found is simple - two 170lb guys to haul it around (me & my dad). I can see how it would be a bit of a problem to get around all by yourself - it's bulky and heavy, and although with 2 people it isn't bad, one would have a hard time.

The previously linked "scopebuggy" or "wheeley bars" sound like they would work pretty well for getting it around.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-26, 04:17 AM
Here's an alternative. One big plywood base w/ rope attached to your John Deere riding mower? How's that for cheap?

larkspur
2006-Mar-26, 01:43 PM
Here's an alternative. One big plywood base w/ rope attached to your John Deere riding mower? How's that for cheap?

I don't know.........how much is a John Deere riding mower? could I hook the telescope wagon to my Poulan self propelled mulching mower?;)

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-26, 06:08 PM
Only if it cost less than a John Deere. (giggle.)

Classic8
2006-Mar-26, 08:56 PM
Hi, newbie (to the board) here.

As my ID mentions, I have a Celestron C8. I like the versatility and ease of use, but I am thinking about getting another scope to get more crisp or contrasty views, possibly a good-sized refractor. Anybody have any experience or knowledge of Celestron or Meade 4-5" refractors? Probably don't have enough money for an APO.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Mar-27, 06:48 AM
Refractors are good for planets. Such scopes are priced by their primary objective lens' quality and their f/ratio. Search a lot of posts in this section which goes for many pages. You will find both scopes as titles somewhere. Light passing through glass lens changes its characteristics. Once light is altered it cannot be restored exactly as it was. To compare more modern designs would be worth it. WELCOME!

isis
2006-Mar-28, 01:17 PM
Celestron N5i - no tripod, use it table mounted. The only eyepiece I use is a Vixen zoom.

larkspur
2006-Mar-30, 12:50 AM
I found a cheap and easy way to move the scope. While waiting on my man to come home, the skies are clear and getting darker by the moment. I need a way to get the scope outside. I remembered the Super Sliders that I have to move furniture to I thought I would give them a try on the scope. It worked beautifully! The scope slid right over the threshold and on to the concrete patio like it weighed only ten pounds!:dance:
I am almost sure the Super Sliders are cheaper than a John Deere:D

Here are some photos of the sliders and scope:

http://www.bautforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2298&stc=1&d=1143679405
http://www.bautforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2299&stc=1&d=1143679338

aurora
2006-Apr-04, 04:49 PM
I found a cheap and easy way to move the scope. While waiting on my man to come home, the skies are clear and getting darker by the moment. I need a way to get the scope outside. I remembered the Super Sliders that I have to move furniture to I thought I would give them a try on the scope. It worked beautifully! The scope slid right over the threshold and on to the concrete patio like it weighed only ten pounds!:dance:

Sometimes, the low tech solutions are the best!

As W Edwards Deming used to say, "Gravity is cheap and reliable".

cjl
2006-Apr-05, 04:19 AM
Very nice solution. Unfortunately, it wouldn't work for us, but it looks like it works great for you.

On another note, my dad just ordered a ToU cam, so we should have some planetary images soon from our scope :)

Hoping to get some good ones next month: there's a multi day launch in the middle of nowhere, and we're taking the scope and camping out. With luck, there'll be no clouds.

naios
2006-Apr-06, 02:55 AM
In a week I make the exciting venture from 6" Dobs to 8" Dobs. Should be interesting...

AstroSmurf
2006-Apr-06, 12:57 PM
I have a home-built 8" f/5 Dob that I bought from a local scope-builder. I'm (slowly) grinding the mirror of what's going to be a 6-7" f/22 Schiefspiegler for planet viewing. Our local astronomy club is heavily into scope construction, so the only factory-built pieces I have are eyepieces and associated things.

My dad has a (I think) 5" refractor built from the objective of an aerial reconaissance camera, and he just finished work on his 14" mirror. We also have quite a few other bits and pieces - we "inherited" some things from the astronomy department of a university, but they all need substantial work to become useable. The largest piece is a 16" mirror that was used for spectroscopy, but since it's about 3" thick we're considering slicing it in half to reduce cooling times. We also have some diffraction gratings, so I'm thinking of building a spectroscope.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Apr-14, 02:11 PM
Sounds like a treasure-trove. Does anyone out there carry a spectroscope which can easily attach to a SLR Camera or maybe a filter/lens which can discern spectral lines from light sources of > 0 magnitude? A handy field tool which could fit in a back pack would be very cool.

Maksutov
2006-Apr-15, 01:44 AM
Two Newtonian reflectors from that once-popular company, Hand-Made Telescopes: a 4.25" RFT and an f/8 8". The primary mirrors for both were ground, polished, and figured by yours truly. The 4.25 is on an Edmund GEM with tripod. The 8" is on a fork equatorial of my own design.

Plus a pair of 7X50 Jason binoculars when it's time to just cruise through the heavens. http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/3461/iconcool9io.gif

Arneb
2006-Apr-15, 09:39 AM
Oh, no Maksutov-Cassegrain then? Should we call you RFT from now on? ;)

Maksutov
2006-Apr-15, 04:44 PM
Oh, no Maksutov-Cassegrain then? Should we call you RFT from now on? ;)That's fine by me.

Always wanted to get one of those scopes with a hole in the primary mirror, but things such as food and clothes for the family, mortgage payments, utilities, car loans, etc., always kept getting in the way.

Guess the BB handle could be considered wishful thinking. One of these days, though...and it has nothing to do with Alice. http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

dazastar
2008-Apr-30, 09:27 PM
I'm a big fan of maks, but I still use my large Dob just as much. so here goes my list of favorites.

Synta Maksutov 150mm with 1900mm focal length - This ones a real hummer, every star party and astro meet people comment on how rich the contrast is on planetary vewing, not a sloucher on DS's either. A bit heavy to lug around though.

Skywatcher Mak 102mm 1300 focal length - This is one little champ to have as a grab and go, fantastic contrast and great dep sky viewing. I ended up ditching its EQ head, kept the tripod and used the ioptron goto cube head on the skywatcher mount. This made it very stable and usable as a cheap gps goto system.

GSO 10" dob with crayford and fan cooled mirror (www.andrewscom.com.au) - This thing kicks. The best DSO hunter in the hood. I have freinds in the astro frat that have taken some of the best astro photo's I've seen with it. IceInSpace have em to check out thanks to Peter Bester.

Ioptron 80mm refractor - reasonable wide scan DSO scope on low powers, sharp optics very clear but useless on planetary and medium to high mag use

I have a new website (still a bit green) at www.dazzastar.com feel free to have a look and offer some sugestions.

Moya
2008-May-01, 02:29 AM
I've got an Orion XT8 8" f/6 Dobsonian. Its a fairly popular scope I hear, especially amongst beginners and those on a budget, so I'm sure many of you here are familiar with it.

It's a great scope though, easy to use, not to bad to lug around, and instantly draws other people in because of how big it looks compared to what most people think of when they think "telescope". Great for "evangelical" astronomy. :D

sci_tchr
2008-May-01, 02:30 AM
A four inch home built Dobsonian. It works. I hope to build an 8" soon.

fos

Veeger
2008-May-01, 10:51 PM
Meade etx-125 with autostar and tripod mount; 8" hand-made reflector (ground from a Edmund Scientific kit, years ago - currently unmounted in the garage); 60mm tasco refractor for my daughter (cheap but light and good enough for moon and planets); Busnell 7x50 binocs.

-V

yuzuha
2008-May-02, 06:49 AM
Stellarvue Nighthawk 2 with 80mm f/7 Aplanat objective upgrade.

skintigh
2008-May-02, 03:07 PM
I have a worn out C8 as old as some of the girls I'm dating, I think it's from 1986.

I've been looking at used 10" and 12" LX200GPS scopes but wondering if a Celestron would be better quality and better for astrophotography.

dazastar
2008-May-05, 09:29 PM
some people like Holden, some people like Ford
some people like Intel, some people like AMD
some people like celestron cats, some people like mead cats.
my astro club have both mead ans celestron.......meah

skintigh
2008-May-07, 08:39 PM
I finally found a really cheap 8" LX200 which I figured would be perfect for deciding how much more I want to get in to the hobby.......................... and the seller has yet to reply :(

ctcoker
2008-May-08, 01:23 AM
I've got an XT8 Dob. Great scope that will perform up to the Dawes limit and little bit more (on-axis anyways).

Classic8, just what is your budget? I don't have any experience with good refractors, but I know Ed Ting (www.scopereviews.com (http://www.scopereviews.com)) has reviewed the Orion APOs and quite likes them. They are less expensive than the typical APO. Their other refractors should be OK too. Look at all your options before you buy!

dazastar
2008-May-08, 09:28 PM
could't agree with ctcoker any more firmly than this. Dobs are the best thing that could happen to ameteur astronomy. And when it comes to splitting stars, resolving nebula etc etc. anything above 8" is in most cases only a very marginal difference.

lunsar
2008-May-09, 01:18 PM
I've got a 6" Celestron Starhopper Dob. It's my first scope and gets me outside looking at the stars. My favorite target has been Saturn so far. I've got a 12mm, 25mm and 32.5mm eyepieces with a 2x barlow.

I like the scope, just wish I could find a cover for it so I could keep it in the garage. Right now I have to keep it in the basement and hauling it up the stairs everytime I want to go out and bringing it back downstairs after gazing is a pain sometimes.

I'm also worried about screwing up the optics on it from the trips up and down the stairs. Anyone know where there's a good (somewhat reasonably priced) cover for a 6" dob?

Omniscient
2008-May-09, 07:43 PM
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3950/jessicaswindow094qd5fb3.jpg

Mr Q
2008-May-12, 05:59 PM
With all the replies to the thread, could someone make up a graph showing aperture size, type, etc., with the info on this thread?

For the record, I use a Meade DS-10 (10" newt). Mr Q

Siguy
2008-May-13, 12:30 AM

Wow! That's one heck of a dew shield! The tripod is also larger than I've usually seen on an LX200.

Veeger
2008-May-13, 10:16 PM
Look at the dog. He's thinking, "he loves that thing more than me!"

:)

JustAFriend
2008-May-13, 10:46 PM

C'mon, admit it.... you just put that thing on there to scare the neighbors....

"OMG Henry, call the Army and the Air Force... he's got that THING out again!!!"

dazastar
2008-May-14, 09:40 AM
C'mon, admit it.... you just put that thing on there to scare the neighbors....

"OMG Henry, call the Army and the Air Force... he's got that THING out again!!!"

I wonder if there's tea cozies on the eyepieces

A.DIM
2008-May-15, 12:43 PM
Being that I have no light pollution whatsoever here in western KY, I prefer naked eye viewing of the cosmos.

I do, however, from time to time pull out the ol Criterion Dynascope RV6.

evesham2008
2008-Jun-12, 05:10 PM
I have an 8" TAL (200mm)

PS - dont touch the collector lens assembly!

redshifter
2008-Jun-12, 06:24 PM
Wow! That's one heck of a dew shield! The tripod is also larger than I've usually seen on an LX200.

That big tripod won't be very effective sitting on a wooden deck next to the house like that unless it's somehow isolated from vibrations, assuming the scope is used on that deck and not taken somewhere else.

Moonhawk
2008-Jun-12, 07:41 PM
Meade 10" LX90 UHTC LNT
Celestron C4.5 4.5" Newtonian (my first telescope)
Celestron C90 3.5" Mak Cass
Coronado PST

MrFRjr
2008-Jun-13, 06:10 AM
About a 25 or so yr old 8" Celestron.

matthewota
2008-Jul-09, 11:26 PM
I have a cloned Meade SCT. It is a 10 inch LX50 OTA mounted into a used LX200GPS fork and base. I piggyback three different telescope on it:

1. A Meade 90mm ETX
2. A Coronado Helios 1 Hydrogen Alpha Solar Telescope, once used by NASA
3. an Orion ED80 APO refractor (shown) for superb economical planetary views.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/otakenji/SHBenhhqStI/AAAAAAAAAMA/ktgyVd94MO8/IMG_2704.JPG?imgmax=640

jeepster93
2008-Jul-09, 11:32 PM
I have 2.
An 8 inch Celestron SC on a goto mount
An 80 mm Orion short tube.

Reesa
2008-Jul-10, 12:45 AM
I have a Celestron Firstscope 3" newtonian and a 6" f/8 Dobsonian that I just completed two nights ago (little Subaru).

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-10, 03:37 AM
I have a 4 inch f/10 Meade refractor.

oneradtek202
2008-Jul-18, 02:26 PM
Meade DS 2130-LNT ( 130mm )

Canon Rebel XT

Romanus
2008-Jul-19, 12:50 PM
A mothballed C-60 that I may yet turn into a (filtered!) solar telescope.

My newest acquisition is a marvelous XT-4.5, which I've barely put through her paces, since the weather and moonlight have been mediocre lately.

My weapon of choice is currently a lowly pair of 7x50s, though, which I may upgrade from in a year or so.

Diamond
2008-Jul-24, 12:44 PM
I have a cloned Meade SCT. It is a 10 inch LX50 OTA mounted into a used LX200GPS fork and base. I piggyback three different telescope on it:

1. A Meade 90mm ETX
2. A Coronado Helios 1 Hydrogen Alpha Solar Telescope, once used by NASA
3. an Orion ED80 APO refractor (shown) for superb economical planetary views.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/otakenji/SHBenhhqStI/AAAAAAAAAMA/ktgyVd94MO8/IMG_2704.JPG?imgmax=640

Matthew

You win this thread.

I had to move recently and gave away my one and only scope which was a 3" refractor which I'd had since I was 11...

...and now I live in a dark skies area and I'd quite like to take up astrophotography.

Frankenstein
2008-Aug-20, 02:51 PM
I have a Zhummel Eclipse 114.

http://images.telescopes.com/mgen/digimarc.ms?img=master:ZHUA005.jpg&h=300&w=300

LynnF1
2008-Aug-20, 08:08 PM
Starmaster 12" truss tube dob
Orion BT-80 binocular telescope
Pentax 20x60 binos
Meade 8x42 binos
the Coronado baby solar binoculars (I forget what they're called!)

Kaptain K
2008-Aug-20, 11:51 PM
Coronado baby solar binoculars (I forget what they're called!)
PST?

LynnF1
2008-Aug-21, 03:06 PM
no... BinoMites or something like that. A little pocket-sized binoculars for viewing the sun - came out 4-5 years ago.

LynnF1
2008-Aug-21, 03:12 PM
(although I'm indeed itching for a PST!)

sierrabravofour
2008-Aug-22, 11:08 AM
My first telescope!

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff109/sierrabravofour/Photo_082108_004.jpg

Egregious Philbin
2008-Aug-26, 05:48 AM
Meade LX200GPS 10 inch.

Needing to buy a Ultrawedge, or a Milburn Wedge, damned star rotation!

Have a Canon Xsi DSLR for photos.

Just used my new 40mm Swan eyepiece, and it is nice....

In the closet, I have a Criterion RV-6 with a bum motor on it that I got in 1980!