PDA

View Full Version : Astrophoto: A New Star in Ophiucus by John Chumack

Fraser
2006-Feb-28, 12:26 AM
SUMMARY: A pair of stars with about the same mass will evolve in about the same manner. But if one of the pair is more massive than the other, the more massive star will use its nuclear fuel faster, enter the red giant stage sooner and become a white dwarf earlier while its partner is still red and bloated. This scenario is actually quite common throughout the universe and leads to spectacular results.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/rs_ophicuchi_022706.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

Fr. Wayne
2006-Feb-28, 03:03 AM
John is in the driver's seat. Great shot again. "Remote control?" Please don't tell me he sits in his warm livingroom watching the Olympics while this work is accomplished at the observatory miles away. I want to picture John sitting at a cold observatory sweating the details of whether he took the cap off the camera and whether he remembered to put film in it while he shivers.

Galactic2000
2006-Feb-28, 03:18 PM
Hi Fr. Wayne,

I long since Paid my dues in the cold, with 2 decades of Imaging in subzero temps..with 1000's of hours at the eyepiece manually guiding my photographs.....in the past if it were cloudy here in Ohio(often), I would not be able to image at all...........

but now with the advancements in technology and high speed Internet access, I can image even if its cloudy in the Midwest.....by remote operating scopes in Dark New Mexico Skies. Yes, now from the comfort of my home...but under darker, better, cloud free skies!

To learn more about my homemade telescopes & Observatories , go to my website at www.galacticimages.com.......

Best Regards,
John Chumack

m42orion
2006-Feb-28, 04:34 PM
Since my "observatory" sits right next to John's, I can attest to the fact that there is indeed some cold in Ohio, and we both have felt it in our bones for many years...for instance, we observed together last Saturday morning for over 7 hours at 10 degrees F. But, don't worry, we are tough hardened Spartan observers. The thing is, if you can also get images like John's while sitting in the comfort of a warm fire, a hot toddy, and a TV, then I say let's go for it-this is the benefit of living in our modern time. The image is the thing that justifies it all for itself, and as for the cold, guess there's no sense in being a damned fool about it. And we all know the pros have been doing it that way for decades. I've got to look into this a bit more, and you might dsee me living a life of comfort, too, and discarding the camera until a balmy spring night.Great shot, John.