PDA

View Full Version : How will it look when you are passing the earth with the speed of light?

Denis12
2006-Mar-02, 11:13 PM
In a hypothetical spaceship or a ufo like thing. How will that go? Will it ever be possible to travel with the speed of light? Or 40 or 50 procent of the speed of light?:question:

Jorge
2006-Mar-02, 11:33 PM
IIRC we can't go past the speed of light, i forgot why but i think it has something to do with time stopping if you reach it.

I supose drit(earth) will look either like a smudge blue blur or won't be visible at all.

George
2006-Mar-02, 11:42 PM
It will require an infinite amount of energy for mass to travel at the speed of light. Photons always travel at this speed. For them, they are time-free; they get to wherever they are headed in zero time.

Several odd things appear to travels as they approach the speed of light: Objects look compressed, objects ahead look more blue while objects behind look more red, objects ahead move more in front of you, I think. Your travelers get to where they are going much sooner then they would if you based their travel time by dividing the distance you see them travel by their velocity.

2006-Mar-02, 11:43 PM
Seeing and traveling the speed of light are incompatible.

See topic Relativity: Antenna pointing (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=37967) for some discussions of how things look at near c.

Denis12
2006-Mar-03, 12:38 AM
The most beautifull thing is ,that if we ever can travel with or 50 or more percent of the speed of light ,we can plan missions to the (nearest) stars like Barnards star,Tau ceti,Alpha Centauri,and we can get there in maybe 10 or less years. What do you think?

astromark
2006-Mar-03, 07:34 AM
This is a question we have not got the answer for. We think we know what it might or should look like. Seeing any thing other than what is directly ahead would not be possible as you are receding away faster than the light image is reaching you. Yes all beside and to the rear would be progressively red shifted or invisible. Directly ahead things would be blue shifted considerably and brighter than normal. Possibly that point directly ahead would be very bright.
At this time this is all just science fiction stuff. We don't think fast as light travel is achievable in the real world. (or space).

MadConflux
2006-Mar-03, 09:30 AM
I think if travelling at "c", the entire universe flattens into a 2-dimensional plane, yes?

You probably "see" blinding white light. And live forever in the "eternal moment"!?

astromark
2006-Mar-03, 10:14 AM
No, i can't agree with that. The blinding white light is OK, its the "Live forever in the eternal moment" I'm having trouble with. From an external point of view that may well be the case but, from your position on your space ship/craft. Your time would seem perfectly normal to you. You will get old and die soon enough... I think you jest....joke
And what would planet Earth look like as you sped by?. . . Bright, Blue and and, gone. . . ., but if you were to drop out of warp or, stop. it would appear out of the darkness as a very nice blue and white marble. Thank you Carl Sagan.

MadConflux
2006-Mar-03, 12:33 PM
Partly jest, my friend. I'm talking relativistic contraction, which, at the very precise value of "c", contracts the entire universe into a singularity within which time ceases to exist - my "eternal moment". Correct me if I've misinterpreted my relativity theory! :think:

Argos
2006-Mar-03, 12:50 PM
In the thread 01101001 mentioned there´s a link to the visualization of effects of motion at c.