PDA

View Full Version : the universe's biological clock

Rue
2003-Mar-05, 04:06 AM
Perhaps another "centric" view, just like the belief that earth is centre of the universe, then solar system, then galaxy (because of other galaxies red-shifting from us)
But this question has more to do with time, is this period in the universe's existence the only time life (earth-like worlds) could exist? And would this "life period" happen again during the Big Crunch when the universe goes back to being a small dot?

JS Princeton
2003-Mar-05, 06:40 AM
You should look up stuff on the "anthropic principle". It's exactly what you are talking about.

Rue
2003-Mar-06, 09:26 PM
Thank you. Weak anthropic principle is close to what I was referring. I suppose to put it simply: the sun is 5 Billion yrs old if all yellow dwarfs formed at the same time then any and all life in the universe cannot be older than 3.8 billion yrs old give or take.

BTW, Is Big Crunch blasphemy? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

JS Princeton
2003-Mar-06, 10:40 PM
Depends on what you're blaspheming, I suppose.

Kaptain K
2003-Mar-07, 07:26 PM
On 2003-03-06 16:26, Rue wrote:
Thank you. Weak anthropic principle is close to what I was referring. I suppose to put it simply: the sun is 5 Billion yrs old if all yellow dwarfs formed at the same time then any and all life in the universe cannot be older than 3.8 billion yrs old give or take.
Except that all yellow dwarf stars did not form at the same time. The spectral type of a main-sequence star is a function of mass. Stars near the mass of the Sun are type G. Higher mass stars are type F, A, B, and O. These stars have shorter lifespans the Sol. Lower mass stars are type K and M. They live longer than Sol. Stars of all types have been forming since the beginning, but any type G stars that formed more than 8 billion years ago have since evolved off the main sequence. To say that "all" type G stars must be the same age as Sol is incorrect.

BTW, Is Big Crunch blasphemy? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

No, it just doesn't fit with the current paradigm of a "flat" universe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaptain K on 2003-03-07 14:30 ]</font>