PDA

View Full Version : Signs You Are a BABB Addict

Pages : [1] 2

nebularain
2003-Mar-05, 04:12 AM
I figured that since it's been a rather rough couple weeks here on the Board with heated debates and trolls and what-not we could all use a little humor. So, I borrowed an idea shown me on a different forum: signs you are an addict.

So, here's my ideas:

- You refer to a tall tale as something that is loaded with "Bart Sibrel."

- You use up valuable time searching the web for conspiracy sites just so you can post them on the Board.

- When a friend hands you a Twinkie, you have the sudden urge to make fun of it as if it were a conspiracy theorist.

- You actually dress up the Twinkie as a conspiracy theorist and mimic mock imitations of said conspiricist with it.

- You can acurately predict which Board members are going to respond to which posts with what sort of comments.

All right, I'm tossing the ball out to the crowd. Anyone want to pick it up and continue?

Rue
2003-Mar-05, 04:23 AM
You run around outside looking for shadows that do not run parallel. And when you find them you point and yell at passersby "there you see!"

SKY
2003-Mar-05, 04:24 AM
On 2003-03-04 23:12, nebularain wrote:
I figured that since it's been a rather rough couple weeks here on the Board with heated debates and trolls and what-not we could all use a little humor. So, I borrowed an idea shown me on a different forum: signs you are an addict.

So, here's my ideas:

- You refer to a tall tale as something that is loaded with "Bart Sibrel."

- You use up valuable time searching the web for conspiracy sites just so you can post them on the Board.

- When a friend hands you a Twinkie, you have the sudden urge to make fun of it as if it were a conspiracy theorist.

- You can acurately predict which Board members are going to respond to which posts with what sort of comments.

All right, I'm tossing the ball out to the crowd. Anyone want to pick it up and continue?

My name is SKY and I have a problem.

Better yet, I think you have a problem...

- You actually dress up the Twinkie as a conspiracy theorist and mimic mock imitations of said conspiricist with it.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

sts60
2003-Mar-05, 04:26 AM
You actually start to miss cosmicdave.

g99
2003-Mar-05, 06:05 AM
-You want to turn on your computer and resign onto the board to see if anyone has posted, one minute after you turn it off. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Every time you see a movie, T.V. show, or scientists name you want to add "Bad" in front of it.

-While talking on other boards you take on the roll of the resident scientist. When a troll appears you ask the B.A. to please ban them. Even if the name of the webmaster is Billy Bob.

[the usual]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-03-05 01:06 ]</font>

Kiwi
2003-Mar-05, 09:15 AM
Ummm... it's off topic, but what exactly is a Twinkie, and how does it relate to a conspiracy theorist?

I gather it's some kind of junk-food, going by some of the 48,000 websites that Google came up with.

When dealing with international audiences, Americans often quote brandnames that are only familiar to those in the USA, and it's so-o-o-o-o frustrating. If only they would describe the product... (JimO please note!)

By the way, from about the age of three I regularly used rubbers, and became a little confused when I heard about American college kids carrying them around on nights and weekends. I eventually learned that the things we use for "rubbing out", you call erasers.

kucharek
2003-Mar-05, 09:28 AM
On 2003-03-05 04:15, Kiwi wrote:
By the way, from about the age of three I regularly used rubbers, and became a little confused when I heard about American college kids carrying them around on nights and weekends. I eventually learned that the things we use for "rubbing out", you call erasers.

So in NZ that Schwarzenegger movie ran under the title "Rubber"? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Harald

Mainframes
2003-Mar-05, 09:46 AM
Somebody posts something stupid and you run a sweepstakes with yourself based on how long it will take for Jay to slap the poster point by point.

Rift
2003-Mar-05, 09:49 AM
You think his name really is Richard H. Hoagwash

Zap
2003-Mar-05, 02:24 PM
You through a tantrum when a small school assignment says Jupiter has 38 moons instead of 39.

Everytime you find one brief minor astronomical mistake on a sci-fi movie, you immediately rush out of the movie theater and to your computer to post about it on the No Doughnuts forum.

Whenever you hear a big bang, you think you've finally solved the Big Bang mystery, get all hyperactive, and start posting some retarded crud about how there are still Big Bangs today.

Rue
2003-Mar-05, 02:35 PM
On 2003-03-05 04:15, Kiwi wrote:
Ummm... it's off topic, but what exactly is a Twinkie

Twinkie is "food". Remember the movie Die Hard? The cop in the movie kept eating them.

and how does it relate to a conspiracy theorist?

One is wrapped in plastic the other tinfoil.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rue on 2003-03-05 09:35 ]</font>

Rift
2003-Mar-05, 02:42 PM
Twinkies are wrapped in plastic, Ding-dongs are wrapped in tin-foil...

So perhaps the more approprate term would be Ding-dong???

Mainframes
2003-Mar-05, 02:48 PM
On 2003-03-05 09:42, Rift wrote:

Well it is the sound their brains make as they bounce around inside their skulls.

kilopi
2003-Mar-05, 02:59 PM
On 2003-03-05 09:42, Rift wrote:

I thought this was a good idea at first, but I don't think that it is actually tin-foil, is it? OK, tin-foil isn't tin either, but twinkies it is.

Rift
2003-Mar-05, 03:46 PM
Twinkie, Ding-dong, whoo whoo, i'm pretty flexiable /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

nebularain
2003-Mar-05, 04:06 PM
Kiwi - "Twinkies" is the term the BA coined for conspiracy theorist - particularly Planet X'ers, IIRC.

Twinkies are also vanilla snack cakes with cream filling put out by Hostess I used to love those things as a kid.

I'm sorry your childhood has been deprived from Hostess products- err, I mean, I am sorry for the confusion.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nebularain on 2003-03-05 11:43 ]</font>

Colt
2003-Mar-05, 05:07 PM
What will outlast us in the end? Twinkies and roaches.

- You spend your lunch hour cruising around the BABB reading old threads.

- The rest of the internet has become boring because of your addiction to the BABB (sounds like me..).

- Reality doesn't matter anymore because of your BABB addiction.

-Colt

SiriMurthy
2003-Mar-05, 06:03 PM
On 2003-03-04 23:12, nebularain wrote:

Here is my bit...

You read CNN astronomy news coverege (on CNN website/TV channel) and read(/hear) every bit carefully to find mistakes and then run to your computer to post it on BABB.

(Sorry, I have done that myself /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)
http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3702&forum=1&62

This one was on History Channel, though.

Am I an addict of BABB, you bet I am.)

darkhunter
2003-Mar-05, 06:29 PM
- Your co-workers learn (the hard way) about BABB withdrawal symptoms.

- Your significant other dresses as a computer just to have a conversation.

- No one wants to watch the news, see a movie, or read a newspaper with you around.

- You need to buy another hard drive to store the shortcuts to Bad websites.

- You carefully cross reference and verify your shopping list.

- You have the photo id numbers memorized for every popularly know space photograph, along with appropriate mission time and location.

- You turn to the BABB for confirmation of ANY news story.

- Your significant other drags you away fro

Darkwing
2003-Mar-05, 06:43 PM
You feverishly try to find BA in your other interests so you can talk about them on the board.

irony
2003-Mar-05, 07:09 PM
You can't watch Fellowship of the Ring anymore without snickering. (Speaking of which, guys... 'Fellowship of the Apollohoax' would be either a really great or really stupid idea for an anti-moonhoax webring. What do you guys think?)

Oh, and if you're interested in twinkies, check this (http://www.seanbaby.com/hostess.htm) out.

SKY
2003-Mar-05, 07:29 PM
You register and post over 3,000 messages in just under a year and a half...[CCOOgrapesofwrathUUGGHH] /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

R.A.F.
2003-Mar-05, 07:36 PM
On 2003-03-04 23:26, sts60 wrote:
You actually start to miss cosmicdave.

Or how about...when there is a lull in the postings, you go back and read old posts by cosmicdave.

kilopi
2003-Mar-05, 07:36 PM
On 2003-03-05 14:29, SKY wrote:
You register and post over 3,000 messages in just under a year and a half...[CCOOgrapesofwrathUUGGHH]
[CCOOkilopiUUGGHH] /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I'm addicted, but it's not to the BABB. Per se.

Darkwing
2003-Mar-05, 07:44 PM
On 2003-03-05 14:09, irony wrote:
You can't watch Fellowship of the Ring anymore without snickering.

Ok, I'll bite. Why not?

Valiant Dancer
2003-Mar-05, 07:45 PM
OK here goes.

-- you cannot hear the phrase "someone has to pay the piper" without giggling and imagining someone squinting at ALSJ pictures on their monitor with a magnifying glass.

-- You are one of the first ten members of PA

-- You listen to a space conspiracy program and say "Olberg would have a field day with this guy".

-- Sibrel, Rene, and the street preacher with the PA seem to be interchangeable.

-- You become the voice of reason on astronomical subjects on such sites as the History Channel and you don't have any astronomy training what-so-ever.

-- You can test out of Junior year Astronomy classes in an Astronomy undergraduate degree.

Tom
2003-Mar-05, 09:10 PM
Astronomer humor:

Your wife starts worrying because you are staying home at night logged in, instead of being out all night with the boys.

aporetic_r
2003-Mar-05, 10:26 PM
You spend so much time on the BABB that you haven't actually seen the sky itself in two weeks.

Rift
2003-Mar-06, 12:07 AM
You wonder when Jay is going to show up on the other non-astronomy, non-science related boards you frequent and show that you really don't know anything there either....

beskeptical
2003-Mar-06, 05:22 AM
You have to stay away because one post triggers a relapse.

BTW what does CCOO...UUGGHH mean?

kilopi
2003-Mar-06, 05:58 AM
On 2003-03-06 00:22, beskeptical wrote:
I think Sky had something stuck in the throat, looks fatal. Maybe we should help? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SKY
2003-Mar-06, 06:11 AM
On 2003-03-06 00:58, kilopi wrote:

On 2003-03-06 00:22, beskeptical wrote:
I think Sky had something stuck in the throat, looks fatal. Maybe we should help? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Darn Grape. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SKY on 2003-03-06 02:52 ]</font>

kilopi
2003-Mar-06, 06:52 AM
Last name wasn't Wrath for nothing.

Colt
2003-Mar-06, 06:55 AM
Just curious, how many times do you all check the board a day? On average I usually check it five to seven times, daily. I also seem to be on most often when Kip (Kilopi) is on. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif -Colt

g99
2003-Mar-06, 07:00 AM
Well pretty much whenever i am not in class, studying (ha! Study in college in my senior year? Ha!), or playing games. I don't know, many, many times. Plus i stay up late and don't like to sleep, so i post late too.

g99
2003-Mar-06, 07:34 AM
-You find yourself looking for Israel on top of every photo

-everytime someone makes a statement of fact you say "the shadows don't line up..." and snicker to yourself.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-03-06 02:35 ]</font>

beskeptical
2003-Mar-06, 09:19 AM
CCOOUUGGHH OOOO No wonder I couldn't figure it out.

You know you're a BABB addict when you're the first to be able to spell a new slang term and an even worse addict when you can read it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: beskeptical on 2003-03-06 04:27 ]</font>

kucharek
2003-Mar-06, 09:28 AM
-Every time you see the BA on tv (happened yesterday evening), your life brightens up /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-Every time you see a typesetting like this:

blablablabla blabla blabla bla
blabbbla bla bla blabla bla bla

you think "JayUtah"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kucharek on 2003-03-06 04:30 ]</font>

Reacher
2003-Mar-06, 09:31 AM
-you are banned from all local cinemas because you jump up and scream: "OH MY GOD!!! DONT THEY KNOW ASTRONIMERS ARE METRIC?! FOOLS!"

-you assaulted the guy in the front row who noticed a continuity error before you did.

Mainframes
2003-Mar-06, 09:55 AM
When you know the answers to astronomy questions better than the quiz machines in the bar.

Got asked: How far is the Andromeda Galaxy from Earth?

a) 10 light years
b) 45 light years
c) 200 light years

Need i say more.....

kucharek
2003-Mar-06, 10:13 AM
Ask my five year old son and he will tell you: 2 million lightyears (IIRC, the newest value is somehow 2.9 million).
Yesterday, when I came home from work, he excitedly came to me: "Daddy, listen! I know them backwards! Pluto, Neptune, Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Earth, Venus and Mercury!" I guess with this, he's already smarter than 95% of the people when it comes to astronomy. Unfortunately he cannot read (except the names of the planets) or write. You've to wait a few years more until he appears here - on the BABB-TNG /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Harald

Rich
2003-Mar-06, 02:11 PM
- HUb's posts start to make sense.

- You casually refer to the office or family conspiracy nut as a Sibrel or Hoagland wannabe and draw blank stares.

Rift
2003-Mar-06, 02:21 PM

Whew, I'm not quite that bad, yet...

kucharek
2003-Mar-06, 02:47 PM
On 2003-03-06 09:11, Rich wrote:

Man, I guess that lowers the number of BABB addicts a LOT!

Harald

Rich
2003-Mar-06, 03:12 PM
On 2003-03-06 09:47, kucharek wrote:

On 2003-03-06 09:11, Rich wrote:

Man, I guess that lowers the number of BABB addicts a LOT!

Harald

Come on... you guys don't get anything he says? I still find him hard to follow, but it's much better than when I first found BA more than a year ago.

TriangleMan
2003-Mar-06, 03:21 PM
(newbies) - you gain increased interest in astronomy and critical thinking

(veterans) - you check back every five minutes to see if someone has replied to your most recent post

Colt
2003-Mar-06, 04:53 PM
I check back every 3 minutes, on average, if I have a new thread. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif And I can understand HUb'ish somewhat.

- You attack your Astronomy teacher over wether Pluto is a planet or KBO (this hasn't happened, yet)

-Colt

traztx
2003-Mar-06, 05:01 PM
You know you're addicted when:

- You say "[quote]" out loud whenever you are gossipping.

- You use smilies in business correspondence.

- You completely miss movie dialogue whenever there is any sky present in the scene.

- You've recently purchased a Hasselblad camera.

- You can name the astronauts from every Apollo mission but you don't know who your senators (or equivalent outside of USA) are.

gethen
2003-Mar-06, 05:32 PM
Triangle Man:

"veterans) - you check back every five minutes to see if someone has replied to your most recent post"

I'm no veteran, but I guess I'm an addict.

And I might add:
- When anyone makes a statement of supposed fact, you immediately think--Oh yeah, well where's the link on that?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gethen on 2003-03-06 12:33 ]</font>

David Hall
2003-Mar-06, 07:53 PM
You've actually had a conversation with HUb'.

You post threads like this one (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3645&forum=4)

You have your browser home page set to the BABB.

You never actually close your browser. You just leave it open to the BABB all the time.

You have more friends on the BABB than you have in real life.

Wiley
2003-Mar-07, 12:11 AM
On 2003-03-05 14:45, Valiant Dancer wrote:
OK here goes.

-- you cannot hear the phrase "someone has to pay the piper" without giggling and imagining someone squinting at ALSJ pictures on their monitor with a magnifying glass.

Not only an addict, but an ol' timer as well. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

It's only been in last few months, I've been able to type pi... well, he who must not be named.

g99
2003-Mar-07, 02:56 AM
On 2003-03-06 14:53, David Hall wrote:

I subscribe to this.

I do consider all of you good friends. I look forward to talking (yah, yah! writing. O.K.?) to all of you. I have more laugths and smiles while reading and writing on this board than i do with my real frineds.
Thanks. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[wipes away a tear]

You are a BABB addict when:
-You have tried several times to make your fluency in Hubbish part of your foreign language requirement for your major.

[added this]

-every time you talk to someone your finger automatically makes the mouse click movement.

-you try to add your signature to your statement. Even when you are speaking. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-03-06 21:57 ]</font>

SKY
2003-Mar-07, 03:16 AM
You know your an addict when:

If the BABB is down, you go and register at Apollohoax.com and asked the other BABB posters if they are having the same problem.
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SKY on 2003-03-06 22:16 ]</font>

g99
2003-Mar-07, 04:03 AM
On 2003-03-06 22:16, SKY wrote:

If the BABB is down, you go and register at Apollohoax.com and asked the other BABB posters if they are having the same problem.

The sad thing is, is that i have actually done this. (as you know. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-03-06 23:04 ]</font>

Colt
2003-Mar-07, 04:04 AM
On 2003-03-06 21:56, g99 wrote:

On 2003-03-06 14:53, David Hall wrote:

I subscribe to this.

I do consider all of you good friends. I look forward to talking (yah, yah! writing. O.K.?) to all of you. I have more laugths and smiles while reading and writing on this board than i do with my real frineds.
Thanks. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[wipes away a tear]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-03-06 21:57 ]</font>

This pretty much adds up to my interaction on the BABB. I do have non-electronic-friends but the rest aren't exactly at my level or type of thinking.

Thank you for writing the the quote g99. -Colt

SKY
2003-Mar-07, 04:16 AM
On 2003-03-06 23:03, g99 wrote:

On 2003-03-06 22:16, SKY wrote:

The sad thing is, is that i have actually done this. (as you know. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-03-06 23:04 ]</font>

Yep...The only reason I registered was to find out if you guys were having a problem connecting to the BABB that one day. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

g99
2003-Mar-07, 04:26 AM
Ahh yes SKY. That day will live in infamy. The day of the mooner..../phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
------------------

Colt: I am glad that you and others feel the same way. I thought that it was weird for me to think that but it was the truth. Now i know i am not alone.

I guess the reason i feel this way is because most people could care less what i have to say in real life. They either ignore me or change the subject to something different and less stimulating whenever i try to have a intelegent, vibrant conversation.

It is rare that i will get into a good argument with someone.

Yes i have a best friend. I can talk with him about almost anything. But he is many miles away (Alabama) and that is hard to talk to for long times. Plus very expensive.

People on here listen to me and respond to me with good, rational, and funny posts. You guys care about what i have to say, and that feels great. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

O.k. i have embarrased myself enought already, time to step off of my shoe box.

Colt
2003-Mar-07, 05:31 AM
Cheers. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif -Colt

DStahl
2003-Mar-07, 10:50 AM
--when you let your breakfast hashbrowns burn because you became engrossed in a discussion about Hawking radiation...and then you have to explain to your wife WHY the kitchen is filled with smoke...

Incidentally, a Twinkie is softheaded (the filling is some sort of marshmallow goo), completely lacking in substance, and may well be half-baked.

Argos
2003-Mar-07, 12:45 PM
Symptoms of BaBBaddiction? When you get sad that people didnīt put a single reply on that subject you found so cool. When you go to sleep worried that you mispelled words on your post. When you get late to an appointment after losing the notion of time upon surfing too much the site. When you get frustrated that BA never answers a subject you posted. When you canīt take out of your mind that people galantly ignore what you think, even when the subject is important. When you are sure you posted a meaningless issue like this one, but still canīt help doing so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Argos on 2003-03-07 07:48 ]</font>

Rift
2003-Mar-07, 02:51 PM
Not only an addict, but an ol' timer as well. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

It's only been in last few months, I've been able to type pi... well, he who must not be named.

Most of us ol' timers still wince at the mere mention of the word pi.... He Who Must Not Be Named.

Igloos with dish antenna, and miniscule cities in foot prints...

::shiver::

aporetic_r
2003-Mar-07, 03:27 PM
On 2003-03-07 07:45, Argos wrote:
When you go to sleep worried that you mispelled words on your post.

Words like misspell? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Argos
2003-Mar-07, 03:33 PM
On 2003-03-07 10:27, aporetic_r wrote:

On 2003-03-07 07:45, Argos wrote:
When you go to sleep worried that you mispelled words on your post.

Words like misspell? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Yep. I hate when it happens. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Colt
2003-Mar-07, 11:35 PM
- You are so addicted to the BABB you use an Imac to check it.

-Colt

g99
2003-Mar-08, 12:13 AM
I think we have a new winner. Colt it so dedicated he actually used a mac...Wow.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-you have a serious debate with yourself if you should spend your free time on this board or at your family reunion.
(disclaimer: I have not done this, but i can see the debate coming up. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif)

-You cut short your vacation because you hate the idea of catching up on two weeks of updates.

-You measure time not by the clock but by which posters are currently on and posting.

Vermonter
2003-Mar-08, 12:36 AM
Hey! I use a Crapintosh at work (sadly, the boss doesn't understand that Windows is much better at networking). But my main machine is a nice Dell.

BTW...HUb' speak is beginning to make sense...I see the genius amidst the chaos of the jarble.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vermonter on 2003-03-07 19:41 ]</font>

g99
2003-Mar-08, 12:41 AM
On 2003-03-07 19:36, Vermonter wrote:
Hey! I use a Crapintosh at work (sadly, the boss doesn't understand that Windows is much better at networking). But my main machine is a nice Dell.

Tie then. Anyone else? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

nebularain
2003-Mar-08, 02:56 AM
- You have hours of homework to complete before the next day, yet you log onto the Board first. An hour and a half later, you are still on the Board and you have not touched your homework.

- It's 1 am and you would rather finish reading the posts than go to bed - even when you have to wake up at 6:30 am.

nebularain
2003-Mar-08, 06:28 AM
Case in point - it's 1:30 am. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

g99
2003-Mar-08, 06:31 AM
On 2003-03-07 21:56, nebularain wrote:
- You have hours of homework to complete before the next day, yet you log onto the Board first. An hour and a half later, you are still on the Board and you have not touched your homework.

- It's 1 am and you would rather finish reading the posts than go to bed - even when you have to wake up at 6:30 am.

Worse for me. I have done both of these at 1:00 a.m. and sometimes i go on when i still have a midterm to study for that is the next morning. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Colt
2003-Mar-08, 06:41 AM
On 2003-03-07 21:56, nebularain wrote:

Sounds definitetly like me. I have a friend at school and the only thing to use to show him things on here are the Imacs at school (I had to fix those things all last year as a student techie, I have a real reason to hate them). -Colt

beskeptical
2003-Mar-09, 09:57 AM
You know you're an addict when you spend the time to find 'The Moon Song' among the trillions of sites on the net.

BTW, I consider you all friends and it doesn't bother me that I spend more time here than at other social gatherings. It's just the nature of our world.

If my next door neighbor or the soccer moms of my son's friends knew where Mexico was, let alone what's beyond the Moon, I'd socialize more in person.

I think if we, (on the BABB), met eachother, we'd get on great. I also think the net has become a wonderful place to chat with people you enjoy conversations with. If we didn't have the net we would not have as easy a time finding folks with common interests. I remember one year of my life where I could expect to hear conversations about the sale at Safeway when I got to work. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif In another small town I lived in folks could not understand why I had not yet married. After all, I was 26!

I don't mean I have a terrible opinion of all these people. I actually find enjoyable things in them. But I don't have enough in common to 'hang out'.

BTW Argos, don't be so hard on yourself. No one pays much attention to spelling. You have plenty of interesting things to say. And if you post something no one has much to say about, well that's happened to all of us.

Argos
2003-Mar-09, 03:00 PM
On 2003-03-09 04:57, beskeptical wrote:

BTW Argos, don't be so hard on yourself. No one pays much attention to spelling. You have plenty of interesting things to say. And if you post something no one has much to say about, well that's happened to all of us.

Thanks for your kind reply, beskeptical.

To be a part of this board is a very nice experience. The stars bless you all. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

darkhunter
2003-Mar-09, 03:58 PM
- everything relates to Astronomy--just so you have something to post

- No matter what you go online for, you automatically logg on to the BABB

- Your upset no one at work/school understands the inside jokes when you use them there

- You're an expert multitsker when it comes to browsing the BABB and anything else you're on the computer for (extra poins for full screen games...)

Vermonter
2003-Mar-09, 04:17 PM
Haven't done the full-screen game YET, but will most likely do that at some point...my connection is a lousy 19.2 kbps, so as soon as the BABB loads up I read that as everyting else downloads, admist listening to music and attempting homework, or repairing a computer. (I once installed Win98 and oogles of software on 5 school computers at once...had 25 compies to do that to!)

darkhunter
2003-Mar-09, 04:23 PM
Still trying to get my computers to talk to each other and share an internet connection (down to finding the time and getting the right cable) so I can "Cheat" and have the BABB up on one computer and game on the other one... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

g99
2003-Mar-09, 08:02 PM
Somehow i still play full screen games and log on here alot. Must be my only talent. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ljbrs
2003-Mar-09, 08:28 PM
BABB is the only Astronomy-Astrophysics-Cosmology bulletin board that I visit, so I have no real problems. I visit other astronomy sites, but not their forums.

I guess I am just a recluse...

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

g99
2003-Mar-09, 08:39 PM
-you are spoiled beyond belief by the good nature and freindliness of this board. You can't stand any other forum because of all of the trolls and anoying people. Even the good ones arn't as good as this one.

The BABB has ruined me for all other boards..../phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Colt
2003-Mar-10, 05:31 AM
On 2003-03-09 10:58, darkhunter wrote:
- everything relates to Astronomy--just so you have something to post

- No matter what you go online for, you automatically logg on to the BABB

- Your upset no one at work/school understands the inside jokes when you use them there

- You're an expert multitsker when it comes to browsing the BABB and anything else you're on the computer for (extra poins for full screen games...)

Yep, yep, yep, and yep. Makes me feel special. I normally just leave a window with the BABB open and go searching for things on the net. Oh yes, I updated my page, Siege Engines now. -Colt

Doodler
2003-Mar-10, 03:49 PM
Do I still get the bonus points for the full screen game even if I had someone teach me to re-encode Neverwinter Nights to work in windowed mode so I could read here?

g99
2003-Mar-10, 06:14 PM
-You're dissappointed when you can't debunk a movie because they change the plot or there are too many in the theater.*

*On insistance of DaveOlden. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[spell]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-03-11 12:15 ]</font>

Waarthog
2003-Mar-10, 07:17 PM
On 2003-03-10 10:49, Doodler wrote:
Do I still get the bonus points for the full screen game even if I had someone teach me to re-encode Neverwinter Nights to work in windowed mode so I could read here?

Think I have one that takes the cake.
- You have a dream about debating the moon hoax with others but your presentation of evidence looks suspiciously like the inventory screens in "Neverwinter Nights."

I must be disturbed if this sort of thing is running through my subconcious.

g99
2003-Mar-10, 07:23 PM
Does anyone remember the Barney doom? Where it is normal doom but all of the bad guys are barney? I wonder what it will take to make a Sibrel doom? Or HB doom. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

A.DIM
2003-Mar-10, 07:57 PM
How about when you work from home as your own boss and abuse being your own boss?
I keep BA open on the desktop while working on the laptop, and between phone calls, emails & such, refresh the page to see what else is new. Spending lunch hours here & there re reading sources for my discussions instead of doing husbandly "housework."
And then, in the evenings still finding myself having books within reach while being "dad" to my kids; although, there have been nights when I'm totally consumed by my reading and require them to occupy themselves. Too many nights in a row is abusive to say the least.
My wife will debate anyone here who thinks otherwise. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

So, BABB addict?

informant
2003-Mar-10, 08:02 PM
This place can be pretty addictive. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
California should have laws against it.
Who will join me funding the BABBA, Bad Astronomy Bulletin Board Annonymous? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

g99
2003-Mar-10, 08:47 PM
On 2003-03-10 15:02, informant wrote:
Who will join me funding the BABBA, Bad Astronomy Bulletin Board Annonymous? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

"My name is Dan...And i am addicted to Bad Astronomy...[pause for standing ovation]. Last night during my dream i imagined that i was debating Bart in a large lecture hall. The other debaters were a talking penguin, a twinkey, and a computer with a voice syntasizer....

Glom
2003-Mar-10, 09:45 PM
My name's Glom and I'm a BABBaddict.

I insist on calling Bill Kaysing, the Dark Lord Kaysing.

I use bartsibrel, but only on the board because BA doesn't abide actual bad language, just BB bad language.

I have memorised the ID of the C-rock photo (AS16-107-17446) and I keep on my palm top a list of important IDs in case I have a confrontation with an HBer.

I decided not to do the Statistics 3 module like everyone else, but instead to do the Mechanics 4 module by myself, self-taught, because it contained material discussed on Clavius and therefore the board.

I always have to look at shadow angles now.

I can't miss Cosmic Dave since I wasn't on the board when he was here, but sometimes I'd like him to come back so I can have an opportunity to debunk him. I certainly read the old Dave threads when things are slow.

The rest of the internet is certainly boring because of BABBaddiction. It's a good thing that more psychologically stable posters check out the news and post it here or I'd never hear anything.

I do have BA linked on my homepage. I always go through the main page to see if anything's new. It's always the first site I go to when powering up.

I have a frightening desire to watch The Core when it comes out.

I keep posting here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3759&forum=4&46) even though everyone else has gotten board with it and is no longer replying and I'm still watching the series just so I can post there, even though I'd much rather watch Stargate.

With regard to Darkwing's question, I think Irony may have been referring to this thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3899&forum=3&49). I would like to say that the fact that someone could actually conceive of such a thing (that someone being me) is a surefire sign of BABBaddiction. Fellowship of the Apollohoax would be good but we'd be shifting our allegiances away from BABB to an allied board and that would be unthinkable.

I do know every Apollo astronaut and every astronaut from the pioneer era by class as well. I don't even know which political party is governing my constituency, much less the name of the gimp. Hell, I don't even know what exactly my constituency is. Having said that, I'm fairly astitute with the old political game compared to most others in the country.

You want addicted. On SimCity 3000, I named myself as Mayor Sir Glom B'Fellow. I was a Bad Fellow at the time of starting that city.

I've also come up a Clavius anthem,
"Cynthia save our Gracious Jay,
Long live our Noble Jay,
Cynthia save the Jay."
(I know that better than my own national anthem)

Fortunately, twinkies don't do anything for me and I still can't understand HUb'.

I was supposed to do my mechanics homework now but I spent all that time replying to this bloody thread.

Help me!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Glom on 2003-03-10 16:58 ]</font>

Glom
2003-Mar-10, 09:48 PM
I keep posting here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3759&forum=4&46) even though everyone else has gotten board with it and is no longer replying and I'm still watching the series just so I can post there, even though I'd much rather watch Stargate.

Look at that. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

even though everyone else has gotten board with it

I meant to write "bored" but I wrote "board". /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I may become dangerous.

heliopause
2003-Mar-10, 10:03 PM
On 2003-03-05 13:03, SiriMurthy wrote:

You read CNN astronomy news coverege (on CNN website/TV channel) and read(/hear) every bit carefully to find mistakes and then run to your computer to post it on BABB.

I'll second that. I read CNN astronomy features just waiting to cut-and-paste some awful astronomy gem on to the BABB!

g99
2003-Mar-10, 11:10 PM
-You realize that you just spent the last four days talking about the angle of a shadow coming off of a rock and think that is good.

-You will never be able to name your kid Rose because of the bad memories.

-You can never watch The Simpsons again in the same light because one chatacter is named Bart.

-You Nickname your wort enemies after trolls on the board
(i havn't done this but i am very tempted.)

----------------------------

You want to know obsessed in Video games? I debunk the science while i am playing the game.
I am o.k. with shooting upteen hords of aliens and don't blink a eye. But when one scene had a star wars type asteroid belt i jump up from my chair and scream at the screen.

P.S. Glom you should check out Sim City 4. very fun. Much better than 3000. But has high system requirements. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Colt
2003-Mar-11, 04:43 AM
"I have a frightening desire to watch The Core when it comes out."

Same here, I find this exceedingly scary. If any of you lived near me I would drag all of you and my female friend, Day (the most intelligent girl I have ever met), to see the bloody thing.

- You dispense knowledge throughout the miscreants of your school and teach your teachers things you learned on the BABB.

-Colt

kucharek
2003-Mar-11, 10:31 AM
You're a BABB addicted - okay, a senior BABB addicted - when at night, before you go to sleep:

kucharek : Goodnight, BA.
BA : Goodnight, kucharek.
JayUtah : Goodnight, BA.
BA : Goodnight, JayUtah.
irony : I'm afraid of Planet X.
g99 : It's not real, irony. Goodnight.
Colt : Goodnight, g99.
David Hall: Oyasuminassai.
Rose G : I think you are all up to something.
All : GOODNIGHT, Rose.
BA : Go all to sleep now or I'll lock up this thread. Goodnight, John-Boy. Ooops, wrong forum.

[harmonica tune fading out]

Harald

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kucharek on 2003-03-11 05:35 ]</font>

DaveOlden
2003-Mar-11, 10:55 AM
On 2003-03-10 13:14, g99 wrote:
-You're dissappointed when you can't debunk a movie because they cnage to plot or there are too many in the theater.*

*On insistance of DaveOlden. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Well, I wasn't quite insisting per se, but your admission of it, in this thread, is a sure sign you're well on the way to being a better person. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

On 2003-03-10 15:02, informant wrote:

See denial below.

I think the only state to stand a fighting chance to even get a bill drafted might be Tennessee.

Here in Canada we're likely to legalize it, for medicinal purposes of course. Recreation use here is growing.

Nonsense. I'm not addicted. I can quit anytime. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaveOlden on 2003-03-11 06:04 ]</font>

jokergirl
2003-Mar-11, 02:06 PM
One for the programmers and other geeks out there:

You name your program variables after spaceshuttles and mission bases respectively:

(I was programming a service discovery for Jini):

//look for proxy services
protected Object lookForService (ServiceRegistrar challenger)
{
Object houston = null;

try
{
houston= challenger.lookup(template);
}

catch (RemoteException ex)
{
System.err.println("Could not contact Houston: " +ex.getMessage());
}

(and so on.)

edit: added the emphasis and the ... so nobody will poke me about the missing }.

Trying to weigh up plot device and BA... (http://auroracity.keenspace.com)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jokergirl on 2003-03-11 09:14 ]</font>

Doodler
2003-Mar-11, 02:44 PM
On 2003-03-10 14:17, Waarthog wrote:

On 2003-03-10 10:49, Doodler wrote:

Think I have one that takes the cake.
- You have a dream about debating the moon hoax with others but your presentation of evidence looks suspiciously like the inventory screens in "Neverwinter Nights."

I must be disturbed if this sort of thing is running through my subconcious.

Or the grid in the Toolset makes you think of fiducials. *shudder*

The Shade
2003-Mar-11, 05:17 PM
Signs you're addicted:

-You can completely debunk the bad science in a movie before it even comes out in theatres, ie "The Core". /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Colt
2003-Mar-12, 05:41 AM
Heh. -Colt

The Shade
2003-Mar-12, 04:48 PM
-You used to swear like a sailor, but thanks to the language restrictions on the BABB, you find yourself verbilizing the same character substitutions you write here. "You are such an Email A Dollar Sign Dollar Sign!"

SpacedOut
2003-Mar-12, 05:53 PM
I guess I've been in denial.

I was just typing a letter to a client and tried to use bbcode to bold his name. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Valiant Dancer
2003-Mar-12, 07:20 PM
On 2003-03-12 12:53, SpacedOut wrote:
I guess I've been in denial.

I was just typing a letter to a client and tried to use bbcode to bold his name. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Fraid so.

Resistance is futile.

You will be assimilated.

Welcome to the fold.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Valiant Dancer
2003-Mar-12, 07:27 PM
On 2003-03-05 14:09, irony wrote:
You can't watch Fellowship of the Ring anymore without snickering. (Speaking of which, guys... 'Fellowship of the Apollohoax' would be either a really great or really stupid idea for an anti-moonhoax webring. What do you guys think?)

Oh, and if you're interested in twinkies, check this (http://www.seanbaby.com/hostess.htm) out.

Personally I like this exchange

Dr. Egon Spengler: I'm worried, Ray. All my readings point to something big on the horizon.

Winston Zeddemore: What do you mean, big?

Dr. Egon Spengler: Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. Based on this morning's reading, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

Winston Zeddemore: That's a big Twinkie.

From Ghostbusters (1984)

Vermonter
2003-Mar-12, 07:48 PM
I'd like to see the twinkies we so much love to debunk try and compete from the Twinkie from Hell!

Perhaps Egon really meant those twinks...

DaveOlden
2003-Mar-17, 11:19 AM
One very good sign that I'm a BABB addict:

I find that my critical thinking skills are sharpening in daily life. That is a direct consequence of spending so much of my spare time here.

It may not quite show up in my posts, but is showing up in conversations with friends and family, through calm debate and discussion, and humane arguement.

With my sister, who was coach of the extracurricular debate team at the American International school she taught at. Silver Medal team. I won an arguement with her today. "True," she assented.

This is an historic moment... she doesn't assent unless your arguement applies sound logic.

Thanks all. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[fixed spelling]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaveOlden on 2003-03-17 06:21 ]</font>

g99
2003-Mar-17, 05:50 PM
I'm the same Dave. While i have nobody to compare myself to, I have found myself arguing better with friends and strangers. I use more logic and tactics in my arguments and try to show them the wrongs of their ways. While i am nowhere near good at this, i am getting slowly better.

Glom
2003-Mar-17, 08:18 PM
Since finding this board, I've found that I am more adept at confrontation with HBers than before, even though I stil have some work to do.

Chuck
2003-Mar-21, 11:43 AM
Signs you are a BABB addict:

You can hardly open your eyes without finding bad astronomy (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=4339&forum=4&6).

DaveOlden
2003-Mar-21, 01:32 PM
I think Chuck's sign there is the one that may make Phil very happy.

SpacedOut
2003-Mar-25, 08:13 PM
For a few of us the proof is here. (http://www.apollohoax.com/forums/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=1125&forum=12&start=0)

ToSeek
2003-Mar-25, 08:17 PM
When the board finally comes back up, it feels as if you've had your first drink of water in three days.

Colt
2003-Mar-25, 08:29 PM
- You know you are an addict when the BABB comes back online it is like awakening from a dark and gloomy nightmare of stupidity and idiocy.

-Colt

g99
2003-Mar-25, 09:38 PM
-you know you are a addict when depression and boredom sets in for three days when it was down.

-you panick and run around screaming "it can't be true!!!" for 5 minutes after each time you check if the board is up yet.

beskeptical
2003-Mar-25, 09:40 PM
For a few of us the proof is here. (http://www.apollohoax.com/forums/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=1125&forum=12&start=0)

YKYAaBABBA when you go to that link and it takes a few minutes to figure out it isn't a BABB thread.

I must say, though, I did tolerate 3 days of withdrawl without having to find another chat board. But if I knew it was there I may not have been able to say that. :P

Colt
2003-Mar-26, 08:39 AM
I had something to stave off my withdrawl symptoms thankfully. Yesterday I went offroading and paintballing for the first time. I was only the only one to be shot in the head no less because of some rule bending when one of the veteran paintballers with us popped up with a semi-automatic gun and started spraying my area with paintballs. I did almost get my friend in the crotch though. If it had only been two inches to the right. :P

I have also been working on a wooden practice sword. I was making a longbow but it broke just above the handle so I turned the lower part into a katana-type sword. I absolutely love the thing now. :o Heh. -Colt

g99
2003-Mar-26, 04:21 PM
Colt: swords, guns, paintballs. Just remind me never to **** you off. :)

Mainframes
2003-Mar-26, 04:38 PM
Colt: swords, guns, paintballs. Just remind me never to **** you off.

Add to that a tendancy to try and aim for the crotch.....

Colt
2003-Mar-26, 10:05 PM
:D Don't worry, I am not old enough to own a firearm, legally, yet. I didn't mean to aim at his crotch.. He was just sort of standing there. :P I also have a hunting air rifle and a bayonet (I will put a picture of the bayonet on my site).

I would never actually harm anyone unless it was necessary.. Just one of my morales. Chivalry, honor, etc.

- You know you are an addict when you can't help having fun telling your war stories on the BABB.

-Colt

g99
2003-Mar-26, 10:12 PM
-You know you are a addict when you get a message saying "website Bandwith exceeded" and you seriously think that it was your fault. All of those times you rechecked to see of anyone replied did it in.

-You know you are adicted when you talk to people in real life and relate them and thier attitudes to people on this board.

Colt: Even a deranged Alaskan with napoleonic tenacities can hurt somebody when he gets mad enougth. Just watch out where you put the bayonet. :P

Colt
2003-Mar-26, 11:04 PM
Don't worry, it came with a a very nice M8A1 scabbard which I keep it secured in all of the time. I put the image up on my site: Colt M7 Bayonet (http://www.geocities.com/wandererofthewastes/M7web.jpg). If it will not load directly from that link go to my site and down to the left under Misc. and you will see it. *waves his sword about* -Colt

Nightfall
2003-Mar-27, 01:08 AM
Ummm... it's off topic, but what exactly is a Twinkie, and how does it relate to a conspiracy theorist?

I gather it's some kind of junk-food, going by some of the 48,000 websites that Google came up with.

Assuming that "twinkie" is derived from the phrase: "the twinkie defense," this article (http://www.snopes.com/legal/twinkie.htm) will explain the beginnings of this use of the term.

Dickenmeyer
2003-Mar-27, 01:33 AM
-you know you are a addict when depression and boredom sets in for three days when it was down.

-you panick and run around screaming "it can't be true!!!" for 5 minutes after each time you check if the board is up yet.
And find yourself curled up in the fetal position under your desk, whimpering.

Glom
2003-Apr-03, 04:31 PM
You know you're a BABB addict when you start having nightmares about Dark Moon.

g99
2003-Apr-09, 05:04 AM
-You have to have the BA remind you that there is a actual site attached to this board.

-You have not seen sunlight for an entire weekend.
(but that could be for other reasons. :-) I will leave that to your imagination.... (no not that.) )

Colt
2003-Apr-09, 09:21 PM
Reading? :o

Sometimes I won't go anywhere for almost a week except for school and then realize it. :-? I also forget to breathe sometimes, odd, I know. -Colt

gethen
2003-Apr-09, 10:06 PM
Another sign of BABB dependency--you have to do a search to find the thread you were posting on last because you've spent so much time here that you can't remember where you were last. :oops:

Tito_Muerte
2003-Apr-10, 01:24 AM
how's this...you scroll through five bloody pages of reasons why you're a BABB addict...only to realize you've lost another hour of your life......

snowcelt
2003-Apr-10, 01:30 AM
Oh well. Tito, you still have another 475000 hours to go.

Tito_Muerte
2003-Apr-10, 01:59 AM
I beg to differ....I've got less than 1000........didn't you hear? may 15th will be the end of us all......

darkhunter
2003-Apr-25, 03:49 PM
- Because of time zone differences you're posting when everyone is not, so you post just to see some activity.

TriangleMan
2003-Apr-25, 05:20 PM
- You're posting BABB-related poetry in the Planet X section.

Colt
2003-Apr-26, 12:55 AM
- You and the people with the same interests seem to be on, posting, at the same time no matter the time zone.

-Colt

BigJim
2003-Apr-26, 01:15 AM
I think that just reading this topic is a sign of it. Anyone else get that feeling:

"I will not go on BABB today. I will not go on BABB today. Well, just for a minute...... "

"OK, I 'll just log out know and turn it off. Yeah, right."

WE NEED A BABB ANONYMOUS SECTION! No, that wouldn't help, would it?

You keep checking every five minutes to see if someone has replied.

You have a stopwatch to determine how long it will be before Jay debunks someone point by point.

Assuming that "twinkie" is derived from the phrase: "the twinkie defense," this article will explain the beginnings of this use of the term.

When you start posting stuff like that.

When you actually take the time to post in this topic.

When you look for pictures of Klingon warriors for 30 minutes to post in the Bad TV section.

You actively scrutinize articles for BA, losing sight of what they are about to find small errors.

Maybe I won't come here tomorrow, that'll help..

Donnie B.
2003-Apr-26, 02:36 PM
This is one I heard in the context of Internet addiction, but with a tweak or two it fits the BABB case as well:

You check your email, and are disappointed that there are no new messages for you. So you check it again.

Glom
2003-Apr-28, 09:00 PM
BABBaddiction is getting so bad, it's started me drinking. :lol:

dgruss23
2003-Apr-28, 09:11 PM
BABBaddiction is getting so bad, it's started me drinking. :lol:

Thanks for that one Glom! :lol:

Beelzebob
2003-Apr-29, 12:48 PM
you know that apple juice messes with your head! I'm not going to be a character witness again!! :x

kucharek
2003-Apr-29, 01:30 PM
-When you catch yourself recognizing BA in your childrens coloring books
-When you catch yourself recognizing BA in paintings while in the Louvre

snowcelt
2003-Apr-29, 01:36 PM
-when you cite the BA---and everyone looks at you blank-like---then you realise that you assumed that everyone knows whom you cite.

gethen
2003-Apr-29, 02:08 PM
On the same note, you bore friends and family alike recounting current discussions on the BABB.

Glom
2003-Apr-29, 02:11 PM
Yep I do that.

Mainframes
2003-Apr-29, 02:33 PM
Guilty as charged :oops:

g99
2003-Apr-29, 06:49 PM
[hangs head in shame] Ditto. :-(

snowcelt
2003-Apr-29, 07:44 PM
Well guys and gals, at least as long as you where spouting off good science to the uninformed---you did not have to listen to the trivial, reality T.V. s*** , that crap you know you would have normally been subjected to.

g99
2003-Apr-30, 05:45 PM
Speaking of Reality T.V. did anyone know that they are making a 24 hour Reality T.V. channel? No joke. Its going to be real.

Glom
2003-Apr-30, 06:05 PM
Thank Cynthia for BABB. If not for that a 24 hour Reality TV channel would make us genuinly insane.

ToSeek
2003-Apr-30, 07:03 PM
Speaking of Reality T.V. did anyone know that they are making a 24 hour Reality T.V. channel? No joke. Its going to be real.

I thought we had those already. They're called webcams.

g99
2003-Apr-30, 07:06 PM

I thought we had those already. They're called webcams.

Don't let your mom know that you know about them. :-)

logicboy
2003-May-01, 04:31 PM
When you just read all 6 pages of this thread and you feel it would be insulting not to post something.
- When your manager at work gets pissed off at you for quote:"wasting your time on that dumb website" then I say to him quote:" This website is very educational and inspirational, what are you doing?" "playing BookWorm on shockwave (http://www.shockwave.com/sw/home/)"

I work in Tech Support we have very boring jobs when nothing is wrong. I can multitask "kinda" so I spend close to 8 hrs a day on this site reading posts and sometimes posting. I am very glad I found this site it helps the day go by.

Glom
2003-May-01, 10:24 PM
The advantage of BABB is that while everyone is playing msn games or on Hatrick at lunch in Mrs. Burke's room and getting kicked out as a result, I'm on an educational site so I get to stay.

crazy4space
2003-May-01, 11:22 PM
[quote="logicboy"]When you just read all 6 pages of this thread and you feel it would be insulting not to post something.

Cant help it because I find some of the threads sooooo interesting hence the name crazy4space besides how many of you can say your initials are on the moon?

Colt
2003-May-02, 08:44 PM
- You know you are a BABB addict when you come here instead of doing work in Algebra... And you wish you had a computer to go on here to get help in Astronomy with an equation. -Colt

g99
2003-May-02, 08:54 PM
-you know you are addicted when you put off studying for a final till midnight the night before so you can go on here often :-)

Mark Skarr
2003-May-03, 01:59 AM
- You know you're addicted when you spend hours reading posts realizing that the people here are far more intelligent than the average rabble you are surrounded by at work. And then realizing they're actually smarter than YOU!

- When you've spent an hour trying to find a picture of Daffy Duck jumping up and down in front of Planet X (Duck Dodgers in the 24 & 1/2 Century) to put behind Mohammed Said al-Sahaf so you can add the caption "Planet X will destroy the American Infidels . . . Leave Iraq untouched."

-Everything you know about astronomy you learned from the BABB.

Geo3gh
2003-May-03, 02:19 AM
- You know you're an old-timer adict if you signed Megan's Guestbook.

I've actually gone back to a cached version of if and tried to find out who's still around.

Glom
2003-May-03, 02:20 AM
You're a BABB addict if you get into the top ten by post count.

g99
2003-May-03, 03:01 AM
You're a BABB addict if you get into the top ten by post count.

hehe :-) #3

David, here i come....

Colt
2003-May-03, 03:51 AM
How do you find out who is the top ten? -Colt

ToSeek
2003-May-03, 04:05 AM
How do you find out who is the top ten? -Colt

Go here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/memberlist.php) and choose the appropriate sort method and direction. You can use top ten for just the top ten or total posts for a complete list.

ToSeek
2003-May-03, 04:07 AM
You can't go to bed until you make sure you've caught up on all the posts.*

*Note time of post.

kilopi
2003-May-03, 10:07 AM
- You know you're an old-timer adict if you signed Megan's Guestbook.

I've actually gone back to a cached version of if and tried to find out who's still around.
Which cached copy? Isn't this the original (http://www.jump.net/~rmal/BAusers.htm)?

TriangleMan
2003-May-03, 02:59 PM
- you know you're a BABB addict when you've posted on this thread multiple times

Glom
2003-May-03, 04:29 PM
You know you're a BABB addict when you're addicted to BABB.

You know you're a BABB addict when you make pointless posts just to feel involved.

Mark Skarr
2003-May-03, 06:18 PM
(Must post a reply)

-You know you're an addict when you ignore questions to how you spent your evening because you're busy posting a thought as to why you're an addict.

informant
2003-May-03, 06:36 PM
...You're seriously considering going to watch bad pictures so that you can report all the bad astronomy in them at the BABB.

beskeptical
2003-May-03, 11:26 PM
YKYAaBABBAW you can find a past post related to any and every new post. CCOOUUgrapesGGHH

kilopi
2003-May-04, 08:53 AM
YKYAaBABBAW you can find a past post related to any and every new post. CCOOUUgrapesGGHH
True (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=35299&highlight=nose+sieze+seize#35299). :)

g99
2003-May-04, 09:02 AM
-You know you are a BABB addict when someone you have never seen, nor even heard their voice goes missing for a week or more on the board and you miss them.

-You have to have the BA remind you that there is a whole site other than this board. Many times..... :-)

-You miss your daily dose of Hubbish.

kilopi
2003-May-04, 09:58 AM
-You miss your daily dose of Hubbish.
And it's been (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=79106&highlight=finals#79106) almost two weeks (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=76719#76719). Another three days and we organize a search party.

David Hall
2003-May-04, 11:23 AM
YKYAaBABBAW you turn on a program you've wanted to watch, and at the end of it you realize you have know idea what was in it because you were too busy reading posts here to actually pay attention.

YKYAaBABBAW you read a post and remember there was a thread discussing the topic "just recently", but when you do a search you discover it was actually two years ago (or even worse, on the pre phpBB board).

YKYAaBABBAW you've lost count of how many times you've seen the "Clangers" site in the Lunar Conspiracies forum.

YKYAaBABBAW you come back after two days absence and know you'll have to spend the next 6-8 hours reading and responding to every post written since you were last on--and don't get discouraged by the proposition!

YKYAaBABBAW you understand and start using the abbreviation "YKYAaBABBAW".

Colt
2003-May-04, 07:02 PM

*Doesn't get it.* :( -Colt

TriangleMan
2003-May-04, 07:09 PM

*Doesn't get it.* :( -Colt

Then I guess you're not an addict! :D

beskeptical
2003-May-05, 01:28 AM
- You Know You Are a BABB Addict When

YKYAaBABBAW you use the sentence but don't recognize the acronym. :lol:

Colt
2003-May-05, 02:47 AM
Ah, well that is a long acronym so please forgive me. :) -Colt

beskeptical
2003-May-05, 03:06 AM
Ah, well that is a long acronym so please forgive me. :) -Colt

That's why I started using it, it was too long to keep writing and sometimes the sentences didn't sound right without it.

No need for forgiveness because you didn't notice something. Like there is anyone on this board that hasn't done the same. :P

Glom
2003-May-05, 09:42 AM
YKYAABABBAW you've done whatever Beskeptical was referring to.

YKYAABABBAW you agree with a symptom of BABBaddiction but don't know what it is.

Russ
2003-May-05, 01:18 PM

You mean they don't??!! :o

Russ
2003-May-05, 02:13 PM
You Know You're a BABB Adict When: You are soul sick from the travails of life as we know it and you come to the BABB to seek solice and heeling.

YKYAABABBAW: You actually fall in love with some of the BABB gals. Lisa & Beskep, you know who your are. :D

Glom
2003-May-05, 03:23 PM
This isn't Albert Square. D'you mind? :D

dgruss23
2003-May-06, 02:41 AM
When you find yourself up over an hour after you nearly fell asleep on the sofa because you thought you'd check BABB "real quickly" before going to bed.

kilopi
2003-May-06, 08:11 AM
Another three days and we organize a search party.
In under the wire (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=81158#81158).

Glom
2003-May-06, 01:26 PM
On a related note: we can clearly be called geeks for our excessive association with this excellent and stunning and brilliant and excellent board, but does that automatically imply we're just plain sad?

Is there a distinction between geek and sad?

Donnie B.
2003-May-06, 03:23 PM
Is there a distinction between geek and sad?
Perhaps we should start a chapter of "Happy Geeks Anonymous"... but I guess the acronym isn't catchy enough.

informant
2003-May-06, 04:00 PM
Happy geeks? Aren't there laws against such a thing? ;)

TriangleMan
2003-May-06, 04:20 PM
Happy geeks? Aren't there laws against such a thing? ;)

Only until they leave high school, then they make up for their unhappy teenage lives by taking over the world :wink: 8)

Glom
2003-May-06, 08:03 PM
YKYAABABBAW you develop a troll sense (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=81463#81463) and it starts to tingle.

R.A.F.
2003-May-06, 08:18 PM
YKYAABABBAW you develop a troll sense (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=81463#81463) and it starts to tingle.

I guess it's official then...I'm a BABB addict. Always knew I was.

beskeptical
2003-May-06, 09:07 PM
I am happy, I am not a geek, (an old hippie, yes, definitely not a geek), and I'm a girl who has always loved science.

I just didn't want to be stereotyped because I like to chat with you guys. :D

BCstargazerr
2003-May-07, 04:06 PM
should ppl posting on the BABB should be called "geeky nerds" or "nerdy geeks"
my cats call me both without any preferences

beskeptical
2003-May-07, 06:44 PM
You Know You're a BABB Adict When: You are soul sick from the travails of life as we know it and you come to the BABB to seek solice and heeling.

YKYAABABBAW: You actually fall in love with some of the BABB gals. Lisa & Beskep, you know who your are. :D

Thankyou, I'm flattered.

Mellow
2003-May-08, 07:14 PM
Twinky was also used as the world worst dubbing of a swear word on UK Television...

Ghostbusters:
".... if it hadn't had been for dickless here"
"Is that true?"
"yes, this man has no.. Twinkie"

Twinkie has now become a substiture for any expletive in our house.

Valiant Dancer
2003-May-08, 07:58 PM
I am happy, I am not a geek, (an old hippie, yes, definitely not a geek), and I'm a girl who has always loved science.

I just didn't want to be stereotyped because I like to chat with you guys. :D

I think you're safe. There's plenty of guys trying for the mantle of Ubergeek.

(Lessee, computer programmer for 14 years, can quote Dr. Who and Star Trek TOS and TNG and point out continuity issues, could possibly win a "who lost their virginity the latest contest", can relate to the guys on the SNL skit with Shatner. )

A.DIM
2003-May-08, 08:15 PM
I always thought "geek" meant "one who bites the heads off chickens"??

No matter, I'm sure you're all Autistic.
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993676 :wink:

Colt
2003-May-09, 02:12 AM
And if we do? We all seem the better for it. :) -Colt

g99
2003-May-10, 07:35 PM
I am proof that geeks can take over the world....hahahahahaha...... :lol:

-you are a addict when: you think of deceptive ways to end your vacation early to get back here.....

Glom
2003-May-10, 08:00 PM
-you are a addict when: you think of deceptive ways to end your vacation early to get back here.....

Alright, that is just no good. Get the straight jacket.

gethen
2003-May-10, 09:00 PM
YKYABABBAW you're still posting on this thread, 8 pages and 2 months later.

TriangleMan
2003-May-11, 05:10 PM
YKYABABBAW you're still posting on this thread, 8 pages and 2 months later.

Yeah, I'd never do that! Oops! :oops:

Guess I need help. . .

g99
2003-May-11, 05:30 PM
Glom: You can try to get me in a straight jacket, but in one of my jaunts into the past i teamed up with Hudini and found out how he got out of them. Yuo'd be surprised what you can do with a hairpin and a key to the locks. :-)

Plus you can never catch me! All i have to do is keep on runing till tea time. Then you have to stop chasing me for your afternoon tea. Nanananana! :P

-YKYAABABBAW you you get into such a good and enjoyable discussion that everyopne forgets the orgonal topic. :-)

-YKYAABABBAW you go to the Magic Kingodm in Orlando (A Disney park) and see some BA in its rides and presentations. (Space mountain anyone? I mean riding in a open cockpit in a spaceship? ahhhhh....)

Glom
2003-May-11, 05:43 PM
I had a bit of that when I was there last. I was queuing up for Space Mountain... many times... and I was admiring the decor and it made me think of Enterprise and how it failed to live up to expectations. I had many revelations while standing in that line admiring the hologram of Mars out of the space station window.

Glom
2003-May-11, 06:10 PM
YKYAABABBAW you find debunking tools in movies (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=83210#83210).

Glom
2003-Jun-16, 08:53 PM
We haven't heard from this thread for a while. I think we need a sticky. This thread is the quintessential thread of the Bad Astronomy Bulletin Board.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jun-16, 09:15 PM
I agree. Wait, is that one of the signs? :o

Glom
2003-Jun-16, 09:16 PM
Probably. :)

Norby
2003-Jun-16, 11:37 PM
here's a "addicted to BABB" situation for you:

While working on a flash movie that showed a party scene with the sun going
down, I decided to show the moon coming in to view. Let's use a full moon,
no wait, I can't, a full moon could never follow the sun down the horizon. So
I made it a "new" crescent moon. Looks great, oh wait, there's stars
showing through the darkside of the crescent moon. Filled in the appropriate
dark space and now all looks well. Looks natural, one might say.

Time to admit the obvious, visiting BABB on a daily basis has changed how I
view my world. :wink:

Mellow
2003-Jun-17, 10:22 AM
KYAaBABBAW you finally pluck up the courage to ask what or who HUb is, cos those darn posts only make any sense when you've had 2 or 3 glasses of wine.....

Seriously, what or who is HUb?

It's scary to a bloke like me....

TriangleMan
2003-Jun-17, 11:06 AM
There are at least of couple of old threads discussing 'Hub and interpretation of Hubbish. Just do a search for threads with a Hub title.

dgruss23
2003-Jun-17, 11:21 AM
KYAaBABBAW you finally pluck up the courage to ask what or who HUb is, cos those darn posts only make any sense when you've had 2 or 3 glasses of wine.....

Seriously, what or who is HUb?

It's scary to a bloke like me....

I went through the same thing, so I sent him a PM. I still don't understand most of what he's saying, but to be fair I've never really seriously tried to decipher it. Anyway, don't let him scare you. He's being genuine from what I can tell.

TriangleMan
2003-Jun-17, 11:51 AM
Forgot my manners. Welcome to the Board Norby!!

KYAaBABBAW your first post on the Board discusses how you are a BABB addict! :D

Colt
2003-Jun-17, 08:24 PM
YKYAaBABBAW you have odd dreams about going on here and just browsing the board and chuckling at things. Yes, it happened last night. Scary. -Colt

Mellow
2003-Jun-18, 09:29 PM
So,

I've spent the last day and a half starting to scratch the HUb' phenomenon. I should really have been working..... anyway, I can now understand bits and pieces of HUb' postings, my head still hurts though. The Rosetta stone really helped.

I'm still not quite sure who/what HUb' is but I'm starting on the journey, destination... enlight-HUb'-ment

:-?

g99
2003-Jun-19, 02:02 AM
So,

I've spent the last day and a half starting to scratch the HUb' phenomenon. I should really have been working..... anyway, I can now understand bits and pieces of HUb' postings, my head still hurts though. The Rosetta stone really helped.

I'm still not quite sure who/what HUb' is but I'm starting on the journey, destination... enlight-HUb'-ment

To give you a hint. Hub' is male and a real person. :-)

gethen
2003-Jun-19, 02:18 AM

Ah, grasshopper, you begin the journey to enlightenment with a single step.

Glom
2003-Jul-16, 03:20 PM
This one has obviously already been mentioned but because I just exhibited this symptom during Bruce Almighty an hour ago, I'll mention it again.

YKYAABABBAW you can't help but comment aloud on Bad Astronomy in a film.

man on the moon
2003-Jul-16, 04:23 PM
Ummm... it's off topic, but what exactly is a Twinkie, and how does it relate to a conspiracy theorist? I gather it's some kind of junk-food, going by some of the 48,000 websites that Google came up with.

yup, it is, my question is who needs a twinkie (http://spacemonkeymafia.com/pictures/twinkies/twinkie001.jpg) when you can have a ho ho?

a twinkie is the thing in that picture filled with cream...a ho ho is the same thing, but made by Little Debbie food company. (i happen to live near the McKee world headquarters...sorry. they are the major employer for about fifty miles around. McKee is the parent company of Little Debbies :D . they have a factery outlet store just about ten minutes drive away from my place... :D :D )

had a good chuckle about this one!

now, how to know if you're addicted...well
--i know more people on this board than in real life. it's also summer and no one is on campus, guess that doesn't count.
--when i'm not working, i'm generally here.
--when i am working, i'm generally here.
--when i go to work, i do something i never did before joining. (besides singing in.) turn on coast to coast to see if they have anything i can post here...pitiful, but true.
--when someone posts a new string, i can generally say "that's already under way over..." and try to beat everyone else to find the link to the old string. of course, this one only works if it HAS been underway

and the list goes on

--but i won't type them because i have to go see if there are any new posts elsewhere...:oops:

SeanF
2003-Jul-16, 04:49 PM
a twinkie is the thing in that picture filled with cream...a ho ho is the same thing, but made by Little Debbie food company. (i happen to live near the McKee world headquarters...sorry. they are the major employer for about fifty miles around. McKee is the parent company of Little Debbies :D . they have a factery outlet store just about ten minutes drive away from my place... :D :D )

Ho ho ho!

First of all, Twinkies and Ho Hos are both made by Hostess (http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp) (whose website sucks), and are not even close to being the same thing.

Little Debbie (http://www.littledebbie.com/)'s Twinkie-equivalents are called Golden Cremes (http://www.littledebbie.com/products/GolenCremes.asp).

man on the moon
2003-Jul-16, 05:04 PM
but...but...

*checks his boxes again*

:oops:

*checks map, realizes he still lives in southern TN, near the McKee plant*

*realizes he must have got the Ho Ho's one night at work, when the Little Debbie Store was closed*

drat! :oops:

good grief! i am so used to little debbies, i assume every box of snacks i buy is a little debbie box. :P

*promises himself to always check the brands hereafter...*

also an apology to Kiwi...and assurance that even Americans can't get snack cakes right all the time![/i]

TriangleMan
2003-Jul-16, 05:20 PM
Shouldn't this be in the 'deviant foods' thread? :)

man on the moon
2003-Jul-16, 06:15 PM
well...i started out explaining to Kiwi about twinkies and how their soft filling is sort of how your brain feels after reading a loony site. or how their brains always are. or how they're wrapped. any number of arguments. guess it didn't stay that way! and no...i don't think snack cakes are too deviant. for a deviant food i'd have to say...

*wanders over to the other string to think of something*

freddo
2003-Jul-18, 05:20 AM
YKYABABBA when (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6876)....

YKYABABBA when you continually attempt to post faster than 1 post per 60sec!!! (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=116391#116391)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-18, 05:26 AM
Hey! I qualify for both! Cool! :)

Humphrey
2003-Jul-18, 05:35 AM
Ditto!

freddo
2003-Jul-18, 05:38 AM
I only bag number 2 - we never hear about launches on the news - this is definitely the only source of such information for me!!

Besides, ToSeek does such a good job - why do I need to trawl the net when he's loose!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-18, 05:39 AM
Ah, the good old fasioned ToSeek News Network. I use it all the time! :)

ToSeek
2003-Jul-18, 03:35 PM

Thank you. Glad to hear my efforts are appreciated. :D

Kaptain K
2003-Jul-18, 10:17 PM
You e-mail the BA when the board goes down! Guilty. :oops:

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-19, 03:24 AM

You should sell ad space... :)

ToSeek
2003-Jul-19, 01:22 PM

You should sell ad space... :)

"This hoax conspiracy update brought to you by Hostess Twinkies, the favorite junk food of debunkers everywhere."

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-19, 06:09 PM
:lol:

Excellent! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go buy some twinkies...

Glom
2003-Jul-20, 05:08 PM
YKYAABABBAW you have a ppd above 30. :o

Not to mention any names beginning with Humphrey or The Supreme Canuck.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-20, 06:38 PM
Over 30? Well isn't that something! Here's another:

YKYAABABBAW you make more than 150 posts in one day. :o

freddo
2003-Jul-22, 01:05 AM
YKYAABABBAW:
All your base are belong to us. (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6941)

man on the moon
2003-Jul-22, 01:13 PM
when you read this and your first thought is "the BA owns an airline?!?" (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/07/21/ba/index.html)

Mellow
2003-Jul-25, 08:55 AM
The BA airline workers do not want to encourage flying due to the high risk of an accident caused by Planet X's red dust in the atmosphere.

This interplanetary dust could easily foul the turbofans on modern airliners.

Dont even start me on the magnetic effects on transatlantic flights as they pass over the Atlantic crustal rift....

tee hee

kucharek
2003-Jul-25, 09:00 AM
And don't forget the South Atlantic Anomaly, where the radiation belts come close to Earth... They fry you if you get into them. So all flights crossing the South Atlantic are fake!

Colt
2003-Jul-26, 01:55 AM
You know you're a a Bad Astronomy Addict when you have voices in your head which respond, by name, to your questions directed at other addicts in a thread. :o -Colt

dgruss23
2003-Jul-28, 04:08 AM
You know you're a BABB addict when you start responding to other people by linking to previous posts you've made.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-28, 04:11 AM
Like here? (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=121448#121448) :D

Humphrey
2003-Jul-28, 04:16 AM
You know you are adicted when you think of ways you can hard wire your PDA into the sailboats radio to log onto the board. :-)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Jul-28, 04:19 AM
You know you are addictd if you actually do it!

snowcelt
2003-Jul-29, 07:26 AM
You know when you are BABB addict when you are more concerned about what you say on the fora then what you say to live people.

Musashi
2003-Jul-29, 07:29 AM
snowcelt, that one is good because it just happened to me.

My girlfriend, "Pay attention to me!"
Me, "OK, just a minute."

"What are you doing?"

mumblemumble.

"What?"

"The sooner you stop asking me questions, the sooner I can write this post and pay attention to you!"

ocasey3
2003-Jul-29, 07:30 AM
Bad, bad Musashi! [-X [-X [-X

Musashi
2003-Jul-29, 07:33 AM
I had to do it! I am addicted. In all fairness, she came in when I was already halfway through. And I was worked up about it. I just needed 15 seconds to finish, but sh ekept asking questions and I couldn't multi task because it's late and I'm tired and and and and....

:D

kucharek
2003-Jul-29, 07:35 AM

Me, "OK, just a minute."

"What are you doing?"

mumblemumble.

"What?"

"The sooner you stop asking me questions, the sooner I can write this post and pay attention to you!"

That happens to me with the kids all the time. "Daddy, play with us!". The rest as Musashi said. :oops:

Humphrey
2003-Jul-29, 04:35 PM

Me, "OK, just a minute."

"What are you doing?"

mumblemumble.

"What?"

Almost nearly the exact smae conversation i once had with my girlfreind. :-)

Now she understands and lets me finish the post. Most of the time. Dang non-BABB'ers!! :wink:

Musashi
2003-Jul-29, 09:44 PM

freddo
2003-Jul-30, 01:34 AM

And yet you are still ignoring her?

Yes this is bait.

Humphrey
2003-Jul-30, 01:41 AM
YKYAABABBAW:

dgruss23
2003-Jul-30, 01:48 AM
Like here? (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=121448#121448) :D

Yeah - like that! :D

Musashi
2003-Jul-30, 04:15 AM
YKYAABABBAW:

You have your computer clock synced with the BABB clock.

You know that submiting your latest post is going to get you the "You cannot make another post..." but you do it anyway!