PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had difficulty connecting Autostar to their computer?

ksodbartman
2006-Mar-04, 10:27 PM
I've had my ETX for just over a year now, and I've never been able to get it to connect to my laptop quite right. When I fire up Autostar Suite I can get the handbox to connect to the program's ComPort deal, but any hope of controlling the telescope via Autostar is lost, and I can only control it via the onscreen mock-up of the handbox. Ideally, I should be able to point to an object on the AS starchart and say "GoTo this" and the 'scope'll slew merrily along. But all I can do is figure out what it is I'm seeing on the chart, then find it in the handbox's catalog.

And just today I tried for the first time to update my ephemerides and the AS handbox updater can't connect to my handbox.

Any suggestions?

Here's what I'm using:
Meade ETX-125
Dell Inspiron 6000/WinXP
Handbox connector cable coupled with a serial-to-USB adapter, as my Inspiron doesn't have the serial port required. (Something tells me this is the source of the problem, but I don't know how else I can connect it anyway...)

ksodbartman
2006-Mar-05, 04:56 PM
And now I worry I may have just fried my handbox. For some reason, all I get when I turn on the base is the Meade Autostar brand name and the build number and year displayed on the handbox screen.

No keypresses change that screen.